Forum Settings
Forums

Voice Actress Risa Kubota Announces Retirement

New
Jul 31, 2023 9:30 AM
News Team
Aug 2019
Voice actress Risa Kubota announced her retirement from the industry on her official Twitter account on Monday.

In a handwritten post, Kubota stated that she had conflicting feelings on the matter but decided to retire in the end. She thanked her fans, saying, "The time I spent with everyone and the characters I encountered are the treasures of my life. I want to carry on with those treasures."

Kubota began her voice acting activities in Mausu Promotion's actor training school in 2015 before officially joining the agency in 2017. She made her major debut in Fall 2017 as Ren in the Konohana Kitan television anime. Her other roles include Iu Shindou in 100-man no Inochi no Ue ni Ore wa Tatteiru (I'm Standing on a Million Lives), Roko Sekino in Ochikobore Fruit Tart (Dropout Idol Fruit Tart), and Rosetta in Lapis Re:LiGHTs.

Source: Comic Natalie
VindstotJul 31, 2023 7:00 PM
Jul 31, 2023 9:56 AM

Feb 2021
I don't even know who she is. And she already retired.
Jul 31, 2023 10:20 AM

May 2021
These are very bad news . Although I can't pretend to know the reasons why she retired , I am still sad that a young voice actress decided to leave even though she could grow and be an amazing future voice actress . Who knows , maybe she will come back....

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jul 31, 2023 10:23 AM

Mar 2021
Memore said:
I don't even know who she is. And she already retired.

lol I was about to say the same thing.

But it is always sad seeing someone retire at a young age from this industry.
Jul 31, 2023 10:34 AM

Apr 2014
Best wishes for great success in your future.

Pay tribute to Kubota Risa
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 31, 2023 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
her voice acting was amazing in Lapis ReLights. it's sad to see her go, but i wish her all the best.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 31, 2023 10:57 AM

Sep 2018
Retiring after 5 years of work sounds like a dream. I am guessing she found a rich husband or got a job elsewhere. I thought japanese voice actors generally make a decent wage, but it probably varies. I highly doubt she made anywhere below or near average with those looks.
Jul 31, 2023 11:00 AM

Mar 2019
She started her career not long ago and has already given up, something happened there... well, God bless her. 🙏
Jul 31, 2023 11:07 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Second Lapis re:Light seiyuu to retire after Tomomi Mineuchi and also several main roles to her name as well, wish you all the best on your retirement.
Jul 31, 2023 11:13 AM

Jan 2023
I will remember her mostly as Ren from 'Konohana Kitan', thought she was really good in that role.
Good luck to her in what she will choose to do next in her life :) !
Jul 31, 2023 12:52 PM

Jul 2008
rohan121 said:
Retiring after 5 years of work sounds like a dream.  I am guessing she found a rich husband or got a job elsewhere.  I thought japanese voice actors generally make a decent wage, but it probably varies.  I highly doubt she made anywhere below or near average with those looks.

Most seiyuu make very little... She definitely didn't retire due to earnings from her seiyuu work.
Jul 31, 2023 1:37 PM

Jun 2017
isn't it wonderful and not at all eerie when newbie voice actors just suddenly retire and are unable to detail any further context other than maybe " she had conflicting feelings on the matter "
Jul 31, 2023 5:17 PM

Sep 2009
I am actually familiar with her as I liked both Konohana Kitan and Lapis Re:Lights (pretty underrated anime both of them).

Still, pretty discouraging to hear such news. I heard only like 2% of people who inspire to become a seyuu actually make it (and by make it I just mean getting enough work to get by, even less make it big), so then people who actully got some recogition retire early, it is a pity.

Yes, the job is not that high paying at first, but, apparently, your minimal vages rise with experience and if you actually make it big, you get more money from the side gigs, but getting there may be a pain. 
Nachtwandler_21Aug 1, 2023 3:43 AM
Jul 31, 2023 6:24 PM
Apr 2013
Curious as to why the announcement, a lot of other voice actors usually dont retire unless its for like health reasons.
Jul 31, 2023 7:08 PM

Jan 2018
CocoaGalaxy said:
Curious as to why the announcement, a lot of other voice actors usually dont retire unless its for like health reasons.
Either for health reasons or given her age is more likely that she is going to be married soon.
Aug 1, 2023 12:30 AM
Apr 2013
Konan_Edogawa_ said:
CocoaGalaxy said:
Either for health reasons or given her age is more likely that she is going to be married soon.

Seems a bit strange, if it was health reasons usually they say so, while others have gotten married without retiring. Kind of weird, I'm guessing either there's another reason or, its just like that I guess and we're overthinking
Aug 1, 2023 12:41 AM
Jun 2016
Man, I'm actually sad she had a short time in the industry. I liked her voice as Iu Shindou from Standing in a Million Lives and Rosetta from Lapis Re:Lights. 
Aug 1, 2023 1:45 AM

Sep 2018
Looked through her performances, but can't remember what she sounds like, even if I've seen a couple she has been in.
Aug 1, 2023 2:32 AM

Apr 2012
CocoaGalaxy said:
Konan_Edogawa_ said:

Seems a bit strange, if it was health reasons usually they say so, while others have gotten married without retiring. Kind of weird, I'm guessing either there's another reason or, its just like that I guess and we're overthinking
Considering the length of her career and quite a number of main roles in CGDCT anime, she had no problems with her portfolio. In this case, it is either health or family circumstances.
Aug 1, 2023 8:59 AM
Dec 2022
RobertBobert said:
Considering the length of her career and quite a number of main roles in CGDCT anime, she had no problems with her portfolio. In this case, it is either health or family circumstances.
This makes me extra curious as Japan's privacy laws for news are too strong.
Aug 1, 2023 12:18 PM

Apr 2012
MalchikRepaid said:
RobertBobert said:
This makes me extra curious as Japan's privacy laws for news are too strong.
Well, I have never been to Japan, but as far as I know, in Japanese culture it is considered extremely immoral to discuss personal life in public.
Aug 1, 2023 5:48 PM
Dec 2022
RobertBobert said:
Well, I have never been to Japan, but as far as I know, in Japanese culture it is considered extremely immoral to discuss personal life in public.
That's also true. Well, brutally true.
Aug 1, 2023 9:55 PM
Jan 2020
MalchikRepaid said:
RobertBobert said:
I wasn't aware of this being considered immoral, rather than just like, a cultural norm.  do you mind expanding on that?  also, in this vein, when manga artists have semi recently been coming out with specific injuries (back issues stress fractures etc.) does saying that kind of get the side eye in Japan?
Aug 1, 2023 10:05 PM

Apr 2012
sleepy__waifu said:
MalchikRepaid said:
I wasn't aware of this being considered immoral, rather than just like, a cultural norm.  do you mind expanding on that?  also, in this vein, when manga artists have semi recently been coming out with specific injuries (back issues stress fractures etc.) does saying that kind of get the side eye in Japan?
It's just considered too personal and not worthy of prying ears. This is one of the reasons why the Japanese so often avoid complaining to doctors about social or mental problems. I don't know about it now, but in the past, even showing intimacy between spouses in public was considered too lewd. 
Aug 3, 2023 10:58 AM
Sep 2018
I’ve dropped a few anime while don’t know the rest she was in and do not recognise her but good luck to her!
Aug 5, 2023 7:23 AM

Oct 2017
Not that many roles but I liked her role as Roko senpai very much. It'd be sad to hear her with a new va if the anime ever gets a new season that is.
Aug 8, 2023 12:59 AM
May 2019
I loved Dropout Idol Fruit Tart! Although I watched it dubbed, Roko is definitely my favorite from it.
Aug 21, 2023 3:35 PM
Aug 2023
It's saddening to hear about Risa Kubota's retirement from voice acting. Her talent brought life to memorable characters like Ren and Iu Shindou. Wishing her all the best in her future endeavors. 🎙️🌟 #RisaKubota #VoiceActingLegacy

More topics from this board

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for July

Aiimee - Jul 6, 2022

7 by miipsy »»
11 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

16 by jorel262 »»
Yesterday, 2:12 PM

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

40 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 9:12 AM

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - May 1

6 by deg »»
Yesterday, 4:45 AM

» 'Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 1

0 by DatRandomDude »»
May 1, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.