Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2023 4:26 PM

Aug 2022
One of their stores is opening up near me, anyone had experience with them and recommend anything or know anything about so I can hear what the hell it is?
Jul 25, 2023 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
I only recall hearing that Daiso was one of stores popular in Japan. That's all. I have never been to one, by the way.
Jul 25, 2023 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Why are their workers look and act oppressed and still wearing masks?
(and why some people still somehow manage to stay fat, especially in the current World events).

Jul 25, 2023 4:45 PM

Jul 2012
You're so lucky! I'm not sure where you live but in Japan, Daiso are 100 yen stores that sell a bit of anything and everything for cheap prices. Kind of like a pound store in the UK. Snacks, electronic accessories, stationery, storage, crockery, home decorations etc, a bit of everything honestly.
Source: I spent a lot of time in 100 yen stores whilst living in Japan.
Jul 25, 2023 4:46 PM

Sep 2018
AsymptoteCitizen said:
Why are their workers look and act oppressed and still wearing masks?
(and why some people still somehow manage to stay fat, especially in the current World events).

In America, most of our food has extra sugar and salt so it tends to make us fatter. Also, healthy organic food is expensive. Eating fattening sweets is often far cheaper. Inflation and stress are probably increasing obesity over here.
Jul 25, 2023 4:50 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
It's a pretty cheap and convenient Japanese 100 yen store, but it's misleading since most of the items are more expensive than that and there is also "consumption" tax here since apparently, taking 60% of your income isn't enough for a certain government.
Jul 25, 2023 4:51 PM

May 2013
They are where I stock up on my cool japanese snacks. I have one in my local mall and whenever I go i stop my, I have to.

They have these sweet onion potato chips that are to die for.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jul 25, 2023 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Damn… now I wanna go to one of these. Japanese dollar store sounds fun
Jul 25, 2023 5:26 PM

Mar 2008
Never heard of it. Only Japanese places where I live im aware of are Uniqlo and i think it was called Beard Pappa's which i havent been to either yet. Beard Pappa's is a cream puff place and Uniqlo a clothing store.

149597871 said:
It's a pretty cheap and convenient Japanese 100 yen store, but it's misleading since most of the items are more expensive than that and there is also "consumption" tax here since apparently, taking 60% of your income isn't enough for a certain government.

It's like that everywhere. Lol Like tons of dollar stores in the US most items are more like $5.

How are you paying that much? I couldn't find latest numbers but 2020 national tax rates for Japan even the top tier(¥40,000,001+) tax is 45% while bottom (¥1,950,001 to ¥3,300,000) is 10%. Then it's about what an additional 10% for local? Still doesn't reach those numbers even for the top tier if I understand right.

Consumption tax? I'm a bit confused how Japan has both a VAT and a sale's tax because they sound kind of the same to me unless Im misunderstanding something and it's just the VAT. Is the consumption tax just those two numbers combined or is it a third tax when you buy things? I like how the UK does sales taxes, they add the tax to the product price they display, unlike here in the US where you get hit with a surprise if you aren't shopping with a calculator. Which system does Japan use the tax included in the price or excluded?
traedJul 25, 2023 5:29 PM
Jul 25, 2023 5:27 PM

Jul 2023
Can't you just go inside and see for yourself 
Jul 25, 2023 6:09 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
traed said:
Never heard of it. Only Japanese places where I live im aware of are Uniqlo and i think it was called Beard Pappa's which i havent been to either yet. Beard Pappa's is a cream puff place and Uniqlo a clothing store.

149597871 said:

It's like that everywhere. Lol Like tons of dollar stores in the US most items are more like $5.

How are you paying that much? I couldn't find latest numbers but 2020 national tax rates for Japan even the top tier(¥40,000,001+) tax is 45% while bottom (¥1,950,001 to ¥3,300,000) is 10%. Then it's about what an additional 10% for local? Still doesn't reach those numbers even for the top tier if I understand right.

Consumption tax? I'm a bit confused how Japan has both a VAT and a sale's tax because they sound kind of the same to me unless Im misunderstanding something and it's just the VAT. Is the consumption tax just those two numbers combined or is it a third tax when you buy things? I like how the UK does sales taxes, they add the tax to the product price they display, unlike here in the US where you get hit with a surprise if you aren't shopping with a calculator. Which system does Japan use the tax included in the price or excluded?

It's because they have multiple ways to take from your income other than just the income tax on your earnings/salary. For example, the more money you earn, the more expensive your healthcare insurance gets to the point where you have to pay the equivalent of hundreds of USD (sometimes even up to or over a thousand) every month or else they start freezing your bank accounts. There is also pension annuity (not technically a tax, but still) and other taxes they require you to pay, so when you sum it up, more than half of your income is usually gone, and that's without even counting the consumption tax of 10% I mentioned earlier that you pay whenever you use money. (As for the sale's tax - I think it refers to the same thing but just the English translation is misleading, it's all 消費税 in Japanese.)
Jul 25, 2023 6:24 PM
Dec 2022
149597871 said:
Especially since the very recent inflation makes consumer prices in Japan to become slightly more expensive.
Jul 25, 2023 6:32 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
@MalchikRepaid the funny thing is that the Japanese government loves inflation and would do anything in their power not to let the prices decrease in order to keep the illusion of economic growth (that hasn't really taken place since the 80s), while in reality all it does is decrease the spending power of your money and artificially increase the value of rich people's assets...

It's like taking a one liter bottle, scratching the "1" and replacing it with a "2" and then asking you to pay double the price to the store owner for the exact same amount of liquid. That's what Japanese "economic growth" has pretty much been over the past decades.
149597871Jul 25, 2023 6:41 PM
Jul 25, 2023 7:03 PM

Mar 2021
The store sells its products for 100 Japanese yen, excluding consumption tax.

Cosmetics, sundries, accessories, storage, cleaning goods, interior, tableware, etc. are available. Sometimes I shop for consumables and such.

They also sell anime cards, stickers, and other goods.

Jul 25, 2023 7:58 PM

Sep 2009
Daiso is really popular in Japan.
It's like America's dollar tree, selling various kinds of Japanese products.
Many Japanese bought their house products from there.
Jul 25, 2023 8:34 PM

Aug 2022
_Nette_ said:
They are where I stock up on my cool japanese snacks.  I have one in my local mall and whenever I go i stop my, I have to.

What brand are they if I don't mind asking?
Jul 25, 2023 10:09 PM

May 2013
vasipi4946 said:
_Nette_ said:
They are where I stock up on my cool japanese snacks.  I have one in my local mall and whenever I go i stop my, I have to.

What brand are they if I don't mind asking?

I had to google it.

They are the My Pote Onion soup chips.

Also there is honey butter chips and those are even better.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jul 26, 2023 7:55 PM

Aug 2015
I love going to Daiso.  There are quite a few here in Melbourne Australia.  Most of the stuff there is $2.80  I get watch bands, some small nick-nacks for the house, Japanese snacks, misou soups, flavoured noodles, room fresheners, all sorts of stuff - it is my happy place!  
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.

More topics from this board

» Is the word 'simp' fallen out of context in 2024?

Kiryotsu - 7 hours ago

17 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you celebrate your Birthday

ST63LTH - Today

16 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
20 minutes ago

» Did you ever cut ties with a family member or friend?

Sad - Yesterday

39 by RuneRem »»
42 minutes ago

» Gender difference in US intermarriage

Auron_ - May 5

21 by Kwanthemaster »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in prophecies?

Absurdo_N - May 5

12 by Kwanthemaster »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.