Forum Settings
Forums

Characters ruined by shitty or inadequate adaptations

New
Jun 10, 2023 12:08 AM

Sep 2021
What anime adaptations ruined characters that should have been better received? Alternatively, could just be characters you started liking more after reading the source.

It's Shirou and Touma for me. Ufotable were just not cooking when it comes to Shirou, making him fall flat because we are never properly shown what's going on in his mind. Yeah sure it's supposedly "show don't tell" but 90% of anime watchers don't care enough to pay attention to a character's mannerisms. And don't even get me started on the HF movies budget works on useless fights but cucking the most important confrontation. Now his image will remain only that of a "sElf InSerT" stupid reckless goody two shoes to the casuals. 

Same thing with Touma but worse since they made him 5x blander as a character and Index is just a shittier adaptation. It's really hard to get nuanced characteristics right in LN adaptations but this is definitely up there with the worst offenders.
Jun 10, 2023 12:21 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Femdom Waifu ruined by shitty mappa and crunchypoop subtitles

Jun 10, 2023 1:01 AM

Apr 2015
Tower of God, a lot of characters were ruined (even Khun and Rachel), but Bam is the worst case. They made him so dull and unlikeable. I couldn't care less for him in the anime but I really like him in the manhwa. They removed a lot of his inspirational/badass quotes that gave him a lot more sass and depth to his character, and added/changed some scenes that made him seem like a typical, boring shounen MC.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 10, 2023 1:18 AM

Sep 2008
shield hero.
they turned naofumi into a sad but nice person, when he's extremely spiteful and angry all throughout the story, masking even his nice moves with an evil grin.
raphtalia is a bland and very stupid waifubait character in the anime to the point they stripped her of everything that made her. she's kind, compassionate yet very unforgiving when it comes to things that bother her in both the manga and the novel.
she outright suggested to enslave and sell human bandits to beastmen. her reason being they'd get treated very, very badly. can you imagine her anime counterpart doing the same?
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 10, 2023 1:44 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Esmera said:
Tower of God, a lot of characters were ruined (even Khun and Rachel), but Bam is the worst case. They made him so dull and unlikeable. I couldn't care less for him in the anime but I really like him in the manhwa. They removed a lot of his inspirational/badass quotes that gave him a lot more sass and depth to his character, and added/changed some scenes that made him seem like a typical, boring shounen MC.

That's why I renamed Bam as Bum... They turned him into a bum

Jun 10, 2023 1:59 AM
Jul 2021
Mikasa got almost butchered thanks to WiT studio. Don't know what they were honestly thinking while doing this and why only she got this shit. They did the same with Levi as well in s3p1, where they had excluded a lot of important characterization. This affected their characters a lot.
Apart from this, I don't think I remember atm character from any other series getting ruined in the anime adaptation. Maybe later ig.
dk107_Jun 10, 2023 2:03 AM
Jun 10, 2023 2:52 AM
Jun 2023
There's this fantasy manga I've been reading called "Saihate no paladin". I think the MC name is Will. I think he along with the worldbuilding stands out among other fantasy stories and is really well written imo.

Somehow the anime adaptation makes it feel alot more generic then it should be.
Still an underrated manga tho.
Jun 10, 2023 3:09 AM

Jan 2013
nyugvo6 said:
shield hero.
they turned naofumi into a sad but nice person, when he's extremely spiteful and angry all throughout the story, masking even his nice moves with an evil grin.
raphtalia is a bland and very stupid waifubait character in the anime to the point they stripped her of everything that made her. she's kind, compassionate yet very unforgiving when it comes to things that bother her in both the manga and the novel.
she outright suggested to enslave and sell human bandits to beastmen. her reason being they'd get treated very, very badly. can you imagine her anime counterpart doing the same?
The LN is pure edge-lord, the anime did a good job of adapting it, and the "watered down" version still got plenty of shit as it is. lmao
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jun 10, 2023 4:22 AM

May 2014
I wouldn't call it shitty, but I feel the Beastars anime lost a lot of Haru's charm. Her face wasn't nearly as expressive as in the manga. This goes for a lot of characters though, since they very rarely had any comedic face moments in the anime.
Jun 10, 2023 4:31 AM

Oct 2015
An entire family, two butlers, one doctor, one maid, oh and I guess one bodyguard.

Jun 10, 2023 4:46 AM

Nov 2021
Damn, even the local contractors can fuck up in similar ways to overseas translators. And I do see why up-to-date animation can fall flat if mannerisms aren't being portrayed.
Jun 10, 2023 4:46 AM
Mar 2022
I haven't read Oregairu's LN but from what I know, the anime skip so many Yukino's monologues and moment with Hachiman, I can feel it in S3 and new OVA
Jun 10, 2023 4:47 AM

Dec 2015
This is impossible as every anime is always better than the source.
Jun 10, 2023 9:27 AM

Feb 2016
I lost interest in Fukiko while watching Oniisama e because they put her in too many filler scenes. These scenes also make her more villainous which make her redemption arc less believable. This redemption does not even exist in the manga, and its inclusion in the anime damages Rei's arc as well.

ef ruins Miyako, Kei, and Hiro. Anime Miyako is so much more clingy and annoying to the point it makes Hiro look like a loser for wanting to spend time with her. Kei has her arc cut entirely. So yeah, Shaft spends half the 1st season on a love triangle that makes me wish death on everyone involved.

My 1st impression of Touma Kamijou was decent enough, but I hated Misaka and her sisters and Accelerator. This of course means the sister arc is the worst in the entire season. On the plus side, Railgun and Accelerator both have their own anime in which they are better developed.
My opinion on Touma never changed even after I read the novels.

Because Nomad did not follow the manga when adapting Rozen Maiden, characters are one dimensional and their development is replaced with filler.
その目だれの目?
Jun 10, 2023 11:31 AM

Mar 2021
Every single character in Dragon Ball Super.
Jun 10, 2023 11:59 AM
Oct 2019
The first 3 seasons of Attack on Titan kinda butchered Mikasa's character, replacing a lot of her dialogue with her just shouting Eren's name. I'm glad that the production committee's strict production schedule made Wit drop it before the final season, cause they probably would've continued to butcher Mikasa's character, and probably would've ruined her and Armin's character arcs, which, as of now, are left mostly intact thanks to Mappa's faithful adaptation of the post-time skip content.
Jun 10, 2023 12:05 PM
Dec 2021
Dawn Fall took away everything that made the original Black Rock Shooter good, and crammed it with fanservice, plot holes, and poor characterization. It never should have been made.
Jun 10, 2023 1:37 PM

Sep 2021
Auron_ said:
An entire family, two butlers, one doctor, one maid, oh and I guess one bodyguard.
What are you talking about? Umineko and Tsukihime anime don't exist yet :)

Ahiru89 said:
I haven't read Oregairu's LN but from what I know, the anime skip so many Yukino's monologues and moment with Hachiman, I can feel it in S3 and new OVA
Indeed, but I don't feel it changed the overall image of Yukino, it just made her and 8man's attraction to each other less obvious. Yui on the other hand had a more positive portrayal in the anime because there's less context to her actions.

SkyfallStar said:
This is impossible as every anime is always better than the source.
Bro onto absolutely nothing  ❗️❗️❗️ 🗣🗣🗣 🔥🔥🔥 

Jun 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Aug 2020
nyugvo6 said:
shield hero.

This. They actually removed the personalities of to make it more "relatable" or palatable for the general audience. And it fucking sucked.

They also did this to the Queen. She's supposed to be more commanding, but she comes off as a mother archetype waifu instead of the leader of the country.
Keep scrolling
Jun 10, 2023 1:55 PM

Jan 2021
literally every character in chaos head. what an embarrassment MADHOUSE created when the VN is on steins gate level. 
Jun 10, 2023 4:36 PM
Feb 2018
Death March to the parallel world rhapsody
And in Another World with my smartphone

I enjoyed both animes and even the second season of in Another world with my smartphone but the adaptations left a lot out or changed mostly for time or to keep a pg rating but the light novels are much better. The manga are also good
Jun 10, 2023 5:02 PM

Nov 2022
Umineko does not butcher any character in particular.

Sure I watched anime long ago but I cannot say that any single character turned out not how they were.

I can name plenty of characters who were ruined in sequels.

Roberta in 1st season of Black Lagoon was very well mannered and dedicated to her cause person. She was actually very cold blooded and collected person who does not get emotional easily. Whole bar gone to hell but she actually kept her cool as well as Dutch as she should this guys in a very calculated and controlled fashion.

In contrast in Roberta's Blood Trial them made her into a complete psycho instead. Shame that this version of Roberta is rememered better than the cold and calculated one.

Code Geass racap movies possibly ruined CC and other characters in Code Geass, I only watched TV version. I do not want my Code Geass experience ruined.

Kaiji in first season was very catious and skeptical about all these gambles. He would not trust mafia easily. Mafia had to placate him half the episode to convince him to play another game.

In contrast in 2nd season he jumps on it with undue enthusiasm like an idiot he should not be.

Also in first season Kaiji sometimes makes mistakes as he is much less experienced then say Funai and that lats Funai con Kaiji. He also makes mistake of trusting Furuhata and Andou. However he does not do anything stupid on purpose where he could reasonably see it will turn out bad.

In second season he instead just pissed the foreman out of some emotional disagreement, despite foreman offering him what looked like good deal. Kaiji of 1st season would have took the offer.

Also they runined girls in second season of Gochiusa in some suble way. In first season all girls had their own problems and issues. However in second they ended up making older girls teach younger girls stuff.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jun 10, 2023 5:14 PM

Oct 2013
Mikasa Ackerman from the first three seasons of Attack on Titan. Wit Studio turned her character into a waifubait with non-existent personality, resembling more of a robot shouting "Eren!!" all the time than actual character. Or somebody with mindset of a lapdog. Hollow and dull, as if a character that was not flashy enough had to be adapted that way.

I still don't get why Wit Studio did this to her. No other character received similar treatment in drastically simplifying their manga version when implementing it to the animated format. While I respect Wit studio and what good they did for the Attack on Titan franchise, Mikasa was one of elements they failed at delivering, in my opinion.

She has never been enen close to being my favorite character, but at least in the manga we could see an actually separate character, with Mikasa having her own personality. I'm glad that MAPPA fixed it and adapted Mikasa as she was like in the manga.
Jun 10, 2023 5:25 PM

Nov 2022
Adnash said:
Mikasa Ackerman from the first three seasons of Attack on Titan. Wit Studio turned her character into a waifubait with non-existent personality, resembling more of a robot shouting "Eren!!" all the time than actual character. Or somebody with mindset of a lapdog. Hollow and dull, as if a character that was not flashy enough had to be adapted that way.

I still don't get why Wit Studio did this to her. No other character received similar treatment in drastically simplifying their manga version when implementing it to the animated format. While I respect Wit studio and what good they did for the Attack on Titan franchise, Mikasa was one of elements they failed at delivering, in my opinion.

She has never been enen close to being my favorite character, but at least in the manga we could see an actually separate character, with Mikasa having her own personality. I'm glad that MAPPA fixed it and adapted Mikasa as she was like in the manga.
That is simple to explain actually.

They make them into waifubaits precisely because men like that kind of women. They need a girl with attractive enough personality to sell the show. So simple enough them make them into waifubaits.

What I want to know is why they ruined the characters I mentioned.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jun 10, 2023 5:30 PM
May 2023
guts no berserk 2016 , não recomendo essa experiancia pra nimguem
Jun 10, 2023 5:56 PM

Oct 2021
It's easy enough to say someone from a VN adaptation like Umineko, Tsukihime and Chaos;Head when they essentially ruined the whole story, but that's not really a specific character. I'd agree with Touma though, even Railgun treated him better than Index.
Jun 10, 2023 11:08 PM

Oct 2013
ThorLL said:

They make them into waifubaits precisely because men like that kind of women. They need a girl with attractive enough personality to sell the show. So simple enough them make them into waifubaits.
I considered it as an option, but still it made no sense to me why she was simplified to such ridiculous degree. Many waifubaits present in the world of anime have more complex personalities than what Mikasa offers as a character in Seasons 1-3.

Mikasa was badass basically from the start of the anime. Her design was also well received by the audience. Why then get rid of stuff that would enhance her as a character even further? Why swap it with "Ereh, Ereh!!" lines repeated by her like a prayer? Adapting her faithfully would've only improved her as a character in the show, even if she had still been a waifubait (but with actual personality).

Oh well, it happens. Like I said, she was never my favorite Attack on Titan character. I just still find it weird that one of the main characters received such treatment, while no other more significant character was modified like that (as @dk107_ has noticed earlier).
Jun 10, 2023 11:59 PM

Nov 2018
Otherworld Picnic's adaption just completely butchered everything including the characters. Sorawo went from being an interesting rare case of an introverted sociopath to a generic cute shounen protagonist. Toriko's character suffered similarly. A huge part of the problem is the story was told in the wrong order so what was originally slow burn a psychological exploration and development of the characters was reduced to nonsense. The slow-burn development of their relationship is one of the better aspects of the original story yet it just gets completely scrambled into a tepid generic soup of yuri subtext.
Jun 11, 2023 1:12 AM

Nov 2022
Adnash said:
ThorLL said:

I considered it as an option, but still it made no sense to me why she was simplified to such ridiculous degree. Many waifubaits present in the world of anime have more complex personalities than what Mikasa offers as a character in Seasons 1-3.

Mikasa was badass basically from the start of the anime. Her design was also well received by the audience. Why then get rid of stuff that would enhance her as a character even further? Why swap it with "Ereh, Ereh!!" lines repeated by her like a prayer? Adapting her faithfully would've only improved her as a character in the show, even if she had still been a waifubait (but with actual personality).

Oh well, it happens. Like I said, she was never my favorite Attack on Titan character. I just still find it weird that one of the main characters received such treatment, while no other more significant character was modified like that (as @dk107_ has noticed earlier).
I like emotionless girls with no personality like Yin from Darker than Black and Sakura Matou form fate who always say "hai" and "senpai" so I cannot relate to you here unfortunately.

Jun 11, 2023 2:23 PM

Jul 2017
There are probably bigger examples of this but one that immediately comes to mind is Ayano Hanesaki from Hanebado. Not to say that she's great in the manga by any means but the anime does a really poor job with adapting characterization in that series and making her feel like an over-the-top antagonist a good amount of the time with how heavy the melodramatic take on her was for the most part. This can be applied to some of the side characters/opponents too that she faced. The manga has drama but its not as heavy and characters aren't as drastically unlikable as most of the anime characters from that series barring a couple.
Jun 11, 2023 5:34 PM

Feb 2021
Goblin Slayer from the light novels is so much better than in the anime
Jun 11, 2023 9:41 PM

Apr 2015
ryo-san said:
Esmera said:

That's why I renamed Bam as Bum... They turned him into a bum
LOL true, can't disagree with that.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 11, 2023 9:54 PM

Oct 2013
ThorLL said:
I like emotionless girls with no personality like Yin from Darker than Black and Sakura Matou form fate who always say "hai" and "senpai" so I cannot relate to you here unfortunately.
Yeah, my opinion might be biased, because I'm not a fan of that type of characters, haha. I believe I'm in minority anyway, because from what I noticed most of AoT anime fans have liked Mikasa since Season 1. ;p
Jun 13, 2023 7:00 AM
Sep 2021
-Hermit- said:
Every single character in Dragon Ball Super
omg, you're right😭😭😭 the Vegeta dancing is so cring😭

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
56 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.