Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2023 11:25 AM
Sep 2018
The artstyle and the overall mood of the serie gives me that impression. It's hard to recommend this to my friends if this will be a shoujo.
Apr 11, 2023 11:30 AM
Apr 2021
MAL says it’s a seinen
Apr 11, 2023 11:37 AM
Aug 2014
no, it is a seinen. it is published in the same magazine as Blue Period, Vinland Saga and Tengoku Daimakyou.
Apr 11, 2023 11:59 AM
Jan 2021
it says it’s seinen
Apr 11, 2023 12:16 PM

Sep 2020
I feel like this shounen/shoujo/seinen classification is becoming less useful for anime. It makes more sense for manga which are published as chapters in magazines, so the magazines can combine different titles that all appeal to the same demography
Nino is the objectively superior one, don't @ me
Apr 11, 2023 12:25 PM

Sep 2014
It’s not a shoujo. The themes are a lot more deep and the romance isn’t the main focus. It’s, if anything, a Josei/slice-of-life. Seinen is def not it either 😂
Apr 11, 2023 12:29 PM
Jan 2014
Leadle_Lee said:
It’s not a shoujo. The themes are a lot more deep and the romance isn’t the main focus. It’s, if anything, a Josei/slice-of-life. Seinen is def not it either 😂

But it's published in a seinen magazine...
Apr 11, 2023 1:06 PM
Mar 2021
it's shojo + Josei
Apr 11, 2023 2:03 PM

Dec 2022
2023 and people still don't know what demographics are....
Apr 11, 2023 2:56 PM
Feb 2023
✨ It's Seinen ✨
Apr 11, 2023 4:57 PM
Sep 2018
Black60Dragon said:
Leadle_Lee said:

Mangas such as Himouto! Umaru-chan and Non non biyori were also published in seinen magazines...
Apr 11, 2023 5:02 PM

Mar 2018
no it's not a shoujo. it's a seinen.
Apr 11, 2023 5:26 PM
Sep 2018
__potato__ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to recommend it to your friends it sounds like you're enjoying the show. If you're enjoying it, why does it matter what demographic it's "supposed" to be for (even though is a seinen anyway).

It's a matter of tastes, I myself am not a big fan of the style of Shoujo stories. I think they are a little bit too "girlish"/corny to my taste. I've been enjoying the first two episodes, but I'm worried about this maybe going full-shoujo later. I actually recommended it to one friend and he didn't watched cuz it looked like a Shoujo.

I've only finished like 1-2 shoujos, one of them was Ore Monogatari, and I never really liked the more shoujoish parts.
Apr 11, 2023 6:00 PM
Jan 2014
Fenlix said:
Black60Dragon said:

Mangas such as Himouto! Umaru-chan and Non non biyori were also published in seinen magazines...

Exactly... there's a reason for that 🙃
Apr 11, 2023 6:52 PM

May 2018
Fenlix said:
__potato__ said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to recommend it to your friends it sounds like you're enjoying the show. If you're enjoying it, why does it matter what demographic it's "supposed" to be for (even though is a seinen anyway).

It's a matter of tastes, I myself am not a big fan of the style of Shoujo stories. I think they are a little bit too "girlish"/corny to my taste. I've been enjoying the first two episodes, but I'm worried about this maybe going full-shoujo later. I actually recommended it to one friend and he didn't watched cuz it looked like a Shoujo.

I've only finished like 1-2 shoujos, one of them was Ore Monogatari, and I never really liked the more shoujoish parts.

Sorry, but what going full shoujo even means? Doesn't make much sense to me and sounds like you don't know what demographics are. These classifications are based on the magazines the manga is usually published. This is a seinen for example:

And this is a shounen:

Saying something go full seinen, full shounen, full shoujo sounds more like a prejudice to me. If you like the series just watch, read and recommend all you want. It's a seinen and it's aimed for this target audience, not every seinen have to be like Vinland Saga and Berserk, and not every shounen have to be like JJK and Demon Slayer. Of course, the lead is a girl and the story is about her development as a character, you should rather ask if your friends would like this premise rather than worry about going full shoujo. But if people refuse to watch it because of that, I'd take it as a sign of narrow mindedness tbh. 

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 11, 2023 8:44 PM
Apr 2023
It's seinen because it is published in a seinen magazine. Demographics are not the same as genres. Skip to Loafer is an Slice of life drama with a bit of comedy and psychological traits.
And that's it. A manga published in a seinen magazine just as Blue Period, Vinland Saga and many others.
Apr 12, 2023 7:04 AM
Jul 2022
Leadle_Lee said:
Watching the first 2 episodes, I agree with you - it definitely gives off Josei vibes. I'm surprised it's serialized in a seinen magazine.
Apr 12, 2023 7:12 AM
Dec 2021
myanimelist does a pathetic job tagging anime. I would put this under shoujo/Josei.
You already saw a guy on heels, girls love that shit.
Clearly aimed at girls.
AnimeIs4KidzApr 12, 2023 7:26 AM
Apr 12, 2023 7:32 AM

Dec 2022
animeIs4Children said:
myanimelist does a pathetic job tagging anime. I would put this under shoujo/Josei.
Clearly aimed at girls.
Literally nothing wrong with the tags. The original manga is published on a seinen magazine so IT IS a seinen. There is no 'I would put this under..'' shit lol
Apr 12, 2023 7:45 AM
Dec 2021
sowtte said:
animeIs4Children said:
Clearly aimed at girls.
Literally nothing wrong with the tags. The original manga is published on a seinen magazine so IT IS a seinen. There is no 'I would put this under..'' shit lol
The fact that it's published in a seinen magazine doesn't change that it's clearly aimed at girls.
Don't know how you can't see that tbh.

Do you think that Shigatsu wa kimi no uso is a shounen anime just because it was published in a shounen magazine? that doesn't mean shit. It's not aimed at your typical shounen reader.
just do some critical thinking, analize it and you might get it.
Apr 12, 2023 8:09 AM

Dec 2022
animeIs4Children said:
sowtte said:
The fact that it's published in a seinen magazine doesn't change that it's clearly aimed at girls.

Do you think that Shigatsu wa kimi no uso is a shounen anime just because it was published in a shounen magazine? that doesn't mean shit. It's not aimed at your typical shounen reader.
See? The problem here is that you are trying to put genre and demographics as the same thing. The story may have some elements from famous shoujo manga because the author herself is a woman and her favorite manga are mostly published on shoujo magazines but that doesn't change the fact the manga is published on a SEINEN MAGAZINE on Japan so the tags themselves are not wrong. 'This should be tagged as Josei/Shoujo instead' makes no sense at all.
Apr 12, 2023 3:23 PM
Jan 2023
TL:DR
No, it's a seinen.
Apr 13, 2023 8:45 PM

May 2022
As Shima-kun said to Egashira, “Loosen up. You’ll have more fun that way.”
Apr 13, 2023 9:00 PM

Oct 2021
animeIs4Children said:

that is what seinen is. they are decided by the magazine they get published in. they are not genres 
Apr 14, 2023 4:59 AM

Sep 2009
The Demographic is decided by the magazine it's published in. NOT the subject matter or story. This is published in a Seinin magazine so it's a seining.

Another example is Attack on Titan, which people think is a Seinin, but is publish in a Shounen magazine so it's a shounen.
Apr 16, 2023 5:18 AM

May 2009
animeIs4Children said:

There is no such thing as "typical shounen reader" you are confusing shounen with action/adventure/battle genre.
Also manga demographics only apply to manga. Anime has different: everyone for daytime shows; for male otaku, for female otaku/fujos and for all adults, these 3 are for late night shows.
Apr 19, 2023 10:41 PM

Apr 2012
bastek66 said:
animeIs4Children said:

There is no such thing as "typical shounen reader" you are confusing shounen with action/adventure/battle genre.
Also manga demographics only apply to manga. Anime has different: everyone for daytime shows; for male otaku, for female otaku/fujos and for all adults, these 3 are for late night shows.
People once again forget that the media in another country is different from the West or the US, so they try to see shonen not as a Japanese demographic for teenage boys, but as a completely unique genre for a very narrow audience.

Personally, I don't understand why people are so afraid of shoujo vibes here. Come on, it's high school melodramatic SoL with everygirl female MC. What did they want?
Apr 20, 2023 6:37 AM

Mar 2020
Leadle_Lee said:

I mean … you couldn’t be more accurate
Apr 28, 2023 12:51 AM
Feb 2021
MissingNo178 said:
I feel like this shounen/shoujo/seinen classification is becoming less useful for anime. It makes more sense for manga which are published as chapters in magazines, so the magazines can combine different titles that all appeal to the same demography

Classificating what IS shoujo/josei correctly is very important though!! Because often.. By the industry shoujo/josei is looked down upon, shoujo is often only looked as something focused on romance, which isn't really the case, but it's because of these ways of thinking that you have crunchyroll tag Skip and Loafer as a shoujo.. And not tag their actual shoujo anime in their catalogue as shoujo..

There's a lot of misconceptions about the shoujo genre!! Which only gets worse when people see shoujo as just romance. There's a lot more issues.. But, I'm sadly not very equipped to talked about these things, I apologize.
Apr 28, 2023 5:48 AM

Aug 2020
Seinen but your friends should know shoujo is a peak genre.

Apr 29, 2023 9:51 AM

Apr 2020
People saying that because this or that anime focuses on X or Y themes, therefore boys or young girls can't get into them, are the reason anime took so long reach more mainstream audiences in the US and why they felt compelled to do such stupid shit on their Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura dubs, to name a few examples.

It's published in a seinen magazine, therefore the anime is a seinen. Period.
It may have some themes that are more common in Josei works, but publishers are well aware of periphery demographics and that even their core audience does not always seek the same overall themes in every work they consume.
May 1, 2023 7:16 AM
Mar 2019
From this comments a lot of people still don't get demographics. Its not that hard is it? 
May 9, 2023 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
justinodistreet said:
From this comments a lot of people still don't get demographics. Its not that hard is it? 
When people talk about demographics in the west, they mostly think of gender stereotypes about anime.

Fenlix said:
Black60Dragon said:

AND? Both manga are bright seinen CGDCT without any element of shoujo.
May 9, 2023 11:44 AM
Nov 2021
Seinen (Same demographic as of Vinland Saga and Heavenly Delusion)
Jul 27, 2023 10:39 PM

Apr 2018
Way2Gay4Me said:
sowtte said:

I would love to see you perform the mental gymnastics needed to explain how a manga which was intentionally published in a magazine targeted towards and read predominantly by young boys ("shounen") is actually not aimed at young boys and how a manga which was intentionally published in a magazine targeted towards and read predominantly by teenage boys/men was actually supposed to target young girls (oops).

I'm sure it'll be very interesting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2023

236 by anii_squid »»
Sep 4, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2023

135 by EsieEyen »»
Jul 21, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 23, 2023

140 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 20, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2023

174 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 19, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Skip to Loafer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2023

210 by addictedtoliving »»
Jul 19, 8:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.