Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2023 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Yikes, not a thrilling way for Botan to hear all that info dump...

This is the season finale but didn't feel much like one imo. Ryouma also got some more time together with Botan and it seems their relationship is still more or less the same. He seems more focused than ever in his role though. We still got some flashbacks of Botan when she was younger but it had its tragic moments, sadly. Not going to lie though, I enjoyed seeing how Ryouma and Botan's relationship developed throughout the show. 

Second cour is airing July 2023

https://twitter.com/mononogatari_pr/status/1640375624681553922
Stark700Mar 27, 2023 8:31 AM
Mar 27, 2023 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Hyoma being as he is, it's not enough to slay the Paper Umbrella tsukumogami, and facing Kai of the Three Great Tsukumogami...it feels like hatred is only on his mind to avenge his family. The assessment that his own deceased siblings are better than him, and by pairing both him and Botan together, it's a recipe for disaster...though it's mostly his own mischief that is but a half-truth as well, with Botan potentially being responsible for Hyoma's siblings' deaths. Hyoma definitely needs time off with that to think things through.

To that extent, Botan visiting the Kadomori office to find out about her roots, because she's not just worried about what Kai said, but also on Hyoma, which he ran away...to seek recluse with them to train more, and there's a limit to how much they can teach him also. And no matter what, Hyoma would go down to the bottom of the paper umbrella incident, which Botan shares one of her most terrifying memories being kidnapped by her blood relatives that are no different from the apparent tsukumogami wanting her powers. All except Satsuki, the mother whom Botan wished she had, to cause her to lose trust out of betrayal.

In a sense, Botan is like Hyoma in his past, only except that he's always moving forward, and if there is somebody that protect and trust her, it would be Hyoma.

A decent finish, though the show is kinda forgettable. And this story isn't over yet...it will be back for the 2nd Cour in Summer.
KANLen09Mar 27, 2023 11:06 AM
Mar 27, 2023 10:09 AM
Sep 2015
I feel like romcom would better describe this anime than action/supernatural.
Mar 27, 2023 10:30 AM

Jul 2021
All in all this show ended up quite decent after it's slow start, actually looking forward to S2
7/10

Mar 27, 2023 10:35 AM

Aug 2019
This was actually a very different ending from what I was expecting, but definitely not complaining!

Kai's fight was cut off short, and it's revealed that Botan may have caused the deaths of Hyouma's siblings all those years ago. It's not entirely confirmed but it is possible. We learn a lot about Botan's past and how she spent time with her aunt, and how she pretty much saw her as the mother she always wanted for a while. But sadly, that time was cut short when she was attacked by someone who wanted to take advantage of the marebito inside Botan. That honestly got way darker and depressing than I was expecting ;_;

And the show ends with Hyouma and Botan walking home together, with Hyouma letting her know that he'll protect her :D

Overall this show was very different from what I was expecting back in January, and honestly I was pretty close to dropping it back then too, but I'm glad I didn't! Sure this show has it's flaws but I still really enjoyed it! Can't wait for the second season in July! :D
Mar 27, 2023 10:44 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Though as a greeting Kai really went to far. If Botan had been a normal person then dating and romance would be something that she would have no trouble with. Botan's childhood really was rough even more so with kidnappers. But even in that dark period she was lucky to encounter Satsuki. Its tragic that she wouldn't live to see how much Botan changed as she grew up. But considering what happened to her not being able to trust is quite a normal consequence. In a way Hyoma's direct nature actually makes him the perfect person for Botan to try trusting. Overall a solid end to the first season that balance dout expansion on Botan with setting up the story for the next season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2023 10:45 AM
Sep 2021
The season was overall average for me
Mar 27, 2023 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
Botan backstory was tragic, now we know why she can't trust people and keeps a bit of distant from others. Though she's slowly getting closer to Hyoma and trusting him. I'm glad she has him by her side now. Also is that lady the paper umbrella?

Pretty nice season overall, liked it and was hoping for more. Glad it got s2 and it's only one season away too, looking forward to it.
Mar 27, 2023 11:00 AM

Feb 2019
“Can I really trust you?”

Aw what a cute finale. Feels like the walls between Botan and Hyoma are finally down with both of them being vulnerable with each other. I’m really glad this is getting another season, after a slow start I really started liking these characters and the story. Now that we know botan’s story, I’m excited to see how Kai’s warning plays out. Good to see it over a 7 on MAL now too.
Mar 27, 2023 11:31 AM

Dec 2010
I didn't think I'd come to like this show so much at the beginning. The main character especially was very disagreeable. But now we're here and Mononogatari has become one of my favorites of the season. Too bad it's split cour, but at least we're getting more.
Mar 27, 2023 12:11 PM
May 2021
i enjoyed the show, and although the finale kind of felt like just another episode in some ways, it was still cute. also liked that we got to learn more about botan and her past. and the ending scene with hyoma telling botan she can trust him was very cute. im glad season 2 is confirmed for july. ill be looking forward to it
My 2023 candies:
Mar 27, 2023 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
Well that was a crappy end
Mar 27, 2023 4:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
didnt care too much for a s2 until i saw that female villain at the end
Mar 27, 2023 5:34 PM

Apr 2022
for an average series, that was a good last episode. wasted potential but the latter half was definitely better than the former, 5/10 for me.
botan best character for sure, more backstory reveal on her.
surprised how quick season 2 got announced, hope it's better than this season.
Mar 27, 2023 6:13 PM
Jan 2021
Now we're getting to the most interesting bits and I'm really glad Season 2 is already coming out soon! Unlike other anime, I think Mononogatari actually suffered as a whole by being cut into batches of 12 episodes (my guess given the proximity between releases). I'm really enjoying learning more about Japanese mythology through this anime. For me, it served as a launching ground to explore more about Japanese mythology and culture and every detail is spot on. The characters are well developed and the whole story surrounding Botan is quite original and intriguing; I can't wait to see how she will turn out
Mar 27, 2023 6:22 PM

Jan 2015
There will be a 2nd season '0'
Trying my best with english d-_-b
Mar 27, 2023 6:33 PM
May 2017
Nice way to end the episode with Hyoma and Botan bonding some more.

6.5/10 a chill and enjoyable show fr
Mar 27, 2023 9:00 PM
Aug 2020
It was a good way to end this season.

There is plenty things to explore for the next season.

I really enjoyed every episodes even if the actions are less good than what I was expected.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 27, 2023 9:09 PM

May 2019
In this episode we get an info dump about the paper umbrella incident in which Botan may end up being responsible for, although Hyouma focused primarily on the fact that he is too weak to fight the paper umbrella tsukumogami based on Kai's comments and not so much for Botan possibly being the cause.

This anime started out slow but it got better as the episodes aired. Botan's tsukumogami bodyguards were off-putting at first but they all grew on me, including both Nagi (whom I despised at first) and Yu. I like the love story that is slowly developing with Tsubaki being a possible 3rd wheel. The animation and character designs were ok, the few comedy bits were funny, and the SoL episode where they had hot pot was nice. I wavered between a 7 and a 8 for this and I'm going to give it a 8/10 since I really began enjoying it in the second half and the storyline has become intriguing. Definitely looking forward to the 2nd cour/2nd season (whatever it is).
Mar 28, 2023 2:37 PM

Sep 2018
It was decent overall, enough for me to want to watch the 2nd season at least. 6/10.
Mar 28, 2023 2:49 PM
Mar 2021
I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit this season hasn’t been that good but this is underrated can’t wait for the next season
Mar 29, 2023 6:05 AM

Mar 2014
An okay ending I hope the S2 will better than this
Mar 29, 2023 1:40 PM
Mar 2022
Thank God for the second cour because this is another series in this season that has no translated manga chapters that go past the anime story....
Mar 31, 2023 12:06 AM

Oct 2008
hmmm that was some quite baseless accusations from Kai: the reason why the loved ones of Hyouma was killed was because of Botan??? we need to find the elusive link...if there is really...
waiting for the continuation!
5/5.
7.5/10.

May 20, 2023 5:03 AM

Feb 2020
Has potential... But weirdly pale and stale. Villans hardly last a episode and fights are not dynamic. Character are likeable and romance part is interesting....this kind of reminds me a lot of jjk, but without the impact.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 29, 2023 9:53 AM
Feb 2023
ta bueno, espero segunda temp
Jul 7, 2023 12:41 PM

Jun 2019
My 233rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Aug 23, 2023 6:15 PM
May 2023
nenhuma qualidade, comédia não funciona, mas os protagonistas são interessantes e o desenvolvimento é legalzinho
Sep 3, 2023 8:26 PM

Apr 2016
Is a nice way to "end" because there's is another season but the story still lacks some needed energy, also figure out what to do with those action scenes because they felt more like a battle against the budget; I did liked Botan and her interactions with Hyouma were nice so maybe I should give a try to the next season.
Sep 18, 2023 1:53 PM
Nov 2018
Only proper end to this series is Hyouma deciding that the thing inside Botan is not a problem without tsukumogami to try to wake it up. The situation only showed that all the tsukumogami can't be trusted and Botan needs to learn to live without them. Hyouma should destroy them all.
Nov 11, 2023 4:51 AM
Aug 2022
Nice asskicking of the useless mc. But it's too short.

Eehh I drop here.
Dec 18, 2023 9:48 PM

Dec 2022
A decent final episode, but this anime is pretty stiff and lacking in dynamism for the most part. There is a basic level of competence in how the narrative and characters are handled through their interactions with the world, but these interactions also feel bizarrely artificial a lot of the time.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 8, 5:10 AM

Oct 2022
A pretty well rounded anime with some great fights and back story. The banter between Hyouma and Botan was sweet, put a smile on my face.
UndefeatedBahamut

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mononogatari Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

24 by vadoyager7 »»
Feb 6, 1:17 AM

Poll: » Mononogatari Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2023

15 by vadoyager7 »»
Jan 27, 9:14 PM

Poll: » Mononogatari Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

22 by vadoyager7 »»
Jan 24, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Mononogatari Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2023

18 by vadoyager7 »»
Jan 20, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Mononogatari Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2023

32 by vadoyager7 »»
Jan 18, 12:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.