Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 19, 2023 8:23 AM
May 2017
KUGEKl said:
Some of the best anime ever created tend to be from the 70s-90s. I recently got around to Finishing Cowboy Bebop & man was it great! Absolute banger! 

Cowboy Bebop was amazing. I think the movie was peak Bebop. 

mik0308 said:
Im currently watching Takarajima and because it's been a while since i've last watched something old, im quite enyoing the vibe.
I watched the Soviet version of Treasure Island. Loved it so much that I am curious about watching the Japanese version.  I also learned they changed a detail of the original story related to Ben Gunn. 
Mar 19, 2023 8:29 AM
May 2017
FedeMetal said:
I watched Dirty Pair, and it was good considering it's an anime from the 80's. And i'm watching Initial D right now.
Dirty Pair is a quite popular 80s Anime among old Otakus. I wonder if it is actually any good or was popular because no one else was competing in the strong and attractive duo cliche. 
Mar 19, 2023 8:32 AM
May 2017
ryan77999 said:
I watched the Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might movie a couple months ago
It's the one with the False Super Saiyan. 

Geschnettzeltes said:
Definetly Initial D! One of my favourite animes! City Hunter is also great :D 

Haven't watch Initial D but still love it's ost. 

SoulSkill said:
Finished watching Slam Dunk and it's really good.
Kind of sad that Toei again fail to give a story justice. It should have been adapted completely with much better pacing. 

Mar 19, 2023 8:58 AM

Aug 2017
almightybismarck said:
ryan77999 said:
I watched the Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might movie a couple months ago

That would be Lord Slug. Tree of Might is the one with Turles
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Mar 19, 2023 9:02 AM
May 2017
ryan77999 said:
almightybismarck said:

That would be Lord Slug. Tree of Might is the one with Turles
Apparently, I have watched it but don't remember about the story. 
Mar 19, 2023 9:04 AM
May 2017
Ronichko said:
Trigun in preparation for Trigun Stampede.
The last 8 episodes were very well made but disliked that the story had a lot of filler added in it.  
Mar 19, 2023 9:12 AM

Oct 2018
The TV versions of Patlabor and Taiho Shichau zo, I quite like them so far.
Mar 19, 2023 9:24 AM
May 2017
AnimePedestrian said:
Currently watching Zeta Gundam, my friends really into it so I've seen most the Universal Century at this point. 
I recently opened a guide to watch Gundam. Got confused then didn't proceed to watch Gundam. 
Mar 19, 2023 9:39 AM

Jan 2021
almightybismarck said:
AnimePedestrian said:
Currently watching Zeta Gundam, my friends really into it so I've seen most the Universal Century at this point. 
I recently opened a guide to watch Gundam. Got confused then didn't proceed to watch Gundam. 
I'm no Gundam expert but from what I know from a friend who is you can break Gundam up into timelines. So UC, Seed, Wing and all the other spin off series.

For UC you watch in chronological order;

(Prequel to Mobile Suit Gundam)
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet

Mobile Suit Gundam (Either the series or the trilogy) 

(Within or Around the One Year War - mostly spinoff series)
Mobile Suit Gundam 8th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam War in the Pocket 
Mobile Suit Gundam Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt Bandit Flower
Mobile Suit Gundam Igloo 

(The Sequel to the One Year War or the first series Mobile Suit Gundam)
Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 
Mobile Suit Gundam Chars Counter Attack

(Post-Char Counter Attack)
Mobile Suit Gundam Twlight Axis 
Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway Flash 
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 
Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam Victory. 

That's the best way to break it down, hope it helps. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 19, 2023 9:43 AM
Jan 2023
I think the last pre-2000’s series I watched was also Cardcaptor Sakura. I quite like the old art style, like as an example the art from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
Mar 19, 2023 10:26 AM
May 2017
AnimePedestrian said:
almightybismarck said:
I'm no Gundam expert but from what I know from a friend who is you can break Gundam up into timelines. So UC, Seed, Wing and all the other spin off series.

Mobile Suit Gundam Igloo 

Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 

Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Thanks but how do I watch Gundam Wings. I heard a lot about it but doesn't seem get it's placement. Do have to watch half way through UC then switch to Wings. 

Mar 19, 2023 10:27 AM
May 2017
AnimePedestrian said:
almightybismarck said:

Mobile Suit Gundam Igloo 

Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 

Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Thanks but how do I watch Gundam Wings. I heard a lot about it but doesn't seem get it's placement. Do have to watch half way through UC then switch to Wings. 

Mar 19, 2023 10:30 AM

Jan 2021
almightybismarck said:
AnimePedestrian said:

Mobile Suit Gundam Igloo 

Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 

Mobile Suit Gundam F91

Oh... I don't know anything outside of UC as that's the one I'm watching with a friend

Char Aznable and His Evil Intentions | Anime Amino

Well Wing and the others are way less complicated than UC
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 19, 2023 5:54 PM
Mar 2017
Serafos said:
I re-watched Tanoshii Muumin Ikka couple of days ago. It's still one of my favorite anime.
Childhood memories! Since I learned English (I speak Spanish) I watched some episodes of the series dubbed in English and I really like it. It will surely become one of my favorite animes too.
Mar 19, 2023 6:00 PM
Dec 2022
None. But I plan to watch "Blue Gender" soon. Which kinda is pre 2000s-
Mar 19, 2023 6:08 PM

May 2021
Been watching Ranma ½ for about a year now. Only 25 or so episodes left, the end is finally in sight.
Mar 19, 2023 6:26 PM
Mar 2017
The last pre-2000s anime I watched was Cowboy Bebop in October 2021... I plan to rewatch the original Trigun, watch the Utena movie, Sailor Moon and several more that I don't remember.
Mar 19, 2023 6:38 PM

Jul 2020
Karakurizōshi Ayatsuri Sakon. A very good murder mystery anime. Ventriloquists/puppeteers are quite rare in anime.
Mar 19, 2023 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
I gave Future GPX Cyber Formula a go but just wasn't my thing
Mar 19, 2023 9:04 PM
May 2017
The_L4st_Dodo said:
I think the last pre-2000’s series I watched was also Cardcaptor Sakura. I quite like the old art style, like as an example the art from Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu art was beautiful with few mistakes at time.

LucindaTheQueen said:
Serafos said:
I re-watched Tanoshii Muumin Ikka couple of days ago. It's still one of my favorite anime.
Childhood memories! Since I learned English (I speak Spanish) I watched some episodes of the series dubbed in English and I really like it. It will surely become one of my favorite animes too.
Did this Anime air in Spain or you watched it some where else?
Mar 20, 2023 7:57 AM
May 2017
musicbychoc said:
None. But I plan to watch "Blue Gender" soon. Which kinda is pre 2000s-
Seems like a create choice.

JumbledStars said:
Been watching Ranma ½ for about a year now. Only 25 or so episodes left, the end is finally in sight.
I am already watching One Piece, that is why I am hesitant of starting Ranma 1/2 because also have a lot of installments.
Mar 20, 2023 9:38 AM

May 2021
Cowboy Bebop. Couple months ago. 

It gives me Firefly vibes, I liked it.
Mar 25, 2023 2:17 PM
Mar 2017
almightybismarck said:

I'm from South America (Chile) it was broadcast on national channels with Mexican dub
Mar 26, 2023 10:20 AM
May 2017
LucindaTheQueen said:
almightybismarck said:

I'm from South America (Chile) it was broadcast on national channels with Mexican dub
Anime like Muumin and Saint Saiya seem to be quite popular in Latin America.
Mar 30, 2023 6:37 AM

Aug 2020
Currently watching Perrine Monogatari, Maison Ikkoku and HxH (1999).
Mar 30, 2023 6:44 AM

Sep 2020
Nah I haven't watched anything that old recently. The oldest I watched recently was Erin, which was pretty good.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 30, 2023 6:48 AM

Aug 2020
-----Shoujo Kakumei Utena (1997)-----

Mar 30, 2023 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
Pre-2000s? I believe my recent viewing of any title before then was rewatching the mid-80s anime film adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad about a month ago.
Mar 30, 2023 8:23 AM
May 2017
TRC_Randy said:
Currently watching Perrine Monogatari, Maison Ikkoku and HxH (1999).
HxH 1999 is really good in term of executing the beginning of the story properly. 

KitsuFrost said:
The one of the most talked about Anime from 90s. I seriously need to consider this.
Mar 30, 2023 8:24 AM
May 2017
ggultra2764 said:
Pre-2000s? I believe my recent viewing of any title before then was rewatching the mid-80s anime film adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad about a month ago.
How is it? (30 character limit .....)
Mar 30, 2023 8:33 AM

Nov 2022
watching cowboy bebop rn :D its very late pre-2000's but i think it kinda counts 

Mar 30, 2023 8:38 AM
May 2017
1ncoley said:
watching cowboy bebop rn :D its very late pre-2000's but i think it kinda counts 
 Yes it does. 
(30 character limit)
Mar 30, 2023 9:25 AM

Aug 2020
almightybismarck said:

KitsuFrost said:
The one of the most talked about Anime from 90s. I seriously need to consider this.

It has been very interesting so far. The art is on point, just like the production. If you like psychological themes you would have a good time with it.

Mar 30, 2023 3:15 PM

Sep 2008
almightybismarck said:
ggultra2764 said:
An underappreciated film of the 80s for sure since many tend to think more about more well-known titles like Akira, Gundam: Char's Counterattack, or anything from Studio Ghibli for memorable films of the era.

Here's a trailer of the film for you to get a feel for it...

Mar 30, 2023 3:21 PM

Feb 2021
I guess it was Trigun which I rewatched 2 months ago.
Mar 30, 2023 3:42 PM

Aug 2019
I rewatched both of the "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" OVA with my brother recently since he hadn't seen them before and I wanted to watch them again. (He was the one who had me watch Jojo to begin with, but then I went and checked out the OVAs on my own.) I'm surprised to find out that the one that I thought was older actually came out in 2000, but there is the other OVA that came out in 1993. Also, I have "Shamanic Princess" and "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" on my to-watch list, both of which came out before this century.
Mar 30, 2023 6:12 PM

Aug 2012
ggultra2764 said:
almightybismarck said:
An underappreciated film of the 80s for sure since many tend to think more about more well-known titles like Akira, Gundam: Char's Counterattack, or anything from Studio Ghibli for memorable films of the era.

Here's a trailer of the film for you to get a feel for it...

Oh, this one is soooo good! Bittersweet, of course.

I´ve been watching Lodoss War and Yuu Yuu Hakusho. Good stuff.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Mar 30, 2023 7:42 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
The Big O, you're under arrest beach movie, Gunsmith Cats..

Mar 30, 2023 9:38 PM

Dec 2014
Logh, will probably take a year to finish.

Mar 30, 2023 9:57 PM

Oct 2013
Serial Experiments Lain. Very interesting series with unique atmosphere.
Mar 30, 2023 10:04 PM

Feb 2019
I guess Di Gi Charat technically? that's 99 tho and considering how heavily that franchise is associated with the 2000s I don't really wanna go with that one

I think the last one I watched before that was Saiyuuki which I think was a masterpiece, extremely underwatched- it's incredible for a film from 1960, matches quality of anime 2.5 decades later imo
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Mar 30, 2023 10:06 PM
Feb 2021
I'm watching "The Irresponsible Captain Taylor" right now! Comedy back then was actually creative instead of "Just-like-me MC accidentally gropes boobs and gets face-sat." Taylor is a well-meaning ladies' man with a heart of gold and a laid-back personality, and his dimwitted nativity allows him to see through tactical situations and measures of character that others would miss. He's one of those characters you would love to have as a friend, even if you would be rolling your eyes a lot. So few modern protagonists are so inherently likable.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Mar 30, 2023 10:19 PM

Dec 2021
Finished Nge+EoE. Absolutely goated series. Watching the rebuilds now
Mar 30, 2023 10:19 PM
May 2017
bucciest said:
I rewatched both of the "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" OVA with my brother recently since he hadn't seen them before and I wanted to watch them again. (He was the one who had me watch Jojo to begin with, but then I went and checked out the OVAs on my own.) I'm surprised to find out that the one that I thought was older actually came out in 2000, but there is the other OVA that came out in 1993. Also, I have "Shamanic Princess" and "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" on my to-watch list, both of which came out before this century.
DIO in the OVAs is much better. Doesn't look like a buff lesbian. Rather a proper meterosexual man. 
Mar 30, 2023 10:33 PM
May 2017
Nilah said:
Logh, will probably take a year to finish.
Outstanding choice!
(30 character limit)
Mar 30, 2023 10:54 PM
May 2017
Rishon007 said:
Finished Nge+EoE. Absolutely goated series. Watching the rebuilds now
I have yet to watch the movie. 
(30 Character limit)
Mar 30, 2023 11:36 PM

Mar 2021
I have a pretty unique hobby of collecting retro Anime on Laserdisc, VCD, old school DVD, as well as sometimes getting my hands on some old VHS tapes still in working condition. I recently stopped collecting VHS due to finding most of my collection was starting to decay and almost 50% of the time my VCR would just eat up the tapes. So for the past few year I have been hunting down every single retro Anime I grew up collecting or watching on Laserdisc or DVD (mainly because there was a time in my life where I simply was just collecting officially released Anime on some hard copy without ever finding the time to consume it due to working so much).

When it comes to Retro Anime I won't waste the time watching it unless I can get my hands on a physical copy of it. Due to most of the time anything streaming legal or otherwise is almost always just a crappy rip and most Anime pre-2000 was never meant to be digitally formatted to begin with. Watching Anime on official physical copies does effect the experience of quality over streaming.

I could go on mentioning every obscure Retro Anime I have watched recently but I won't and instead just mention some titles I been able to get my hands on recently and have actually watched or started watching.

Most recently finished watching the entire "Macron 1" series as well as the movie that followed it. I was lucky to have my daughter who lives in Japan find this for me a few months ago on Laserdisc. Sadly I couldn't watch this with my real life friends who were interested in seeing it because they don't understand Japanese and it came without subtitle options or a dub.

I also watched recently the entire "Rumic World" trilogy on Japanese Laserdisc too; "Fire Tripper", "The Supergal", "Laughing Target". Was a complete rare find for me to get them in such great conditions.

I also found these titles on Japanese Laserdisc recently too and bought them right away online; "Bakuen Campus Guardress", "Saber Marionette R", "Great Planet Evil-Destroyer Dangaio", "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku", "Megami Paradise", "Virus: Virus Buster Serge", "You're Under Arrest".

If I can I will buy Retro Anime on DVD too. Here are some of the series I been watching or finished recently pre-2000s; "Neo Ranga", "Slayers" (the 1st season and a few of the movies), "Those Who Hunt Elves", "Zenki", "Princess Nine", "Gokudo", "Kurogane Communication", "Legend of Himiko", "Maze: The Mega-Burst Space", "Metal Fighter Miku".

If you ask me what I think about pre-2000 Anime, I love it!
ColourWheelMar 30, 2023 11:50 PM
Mar 30, 2023 11:59 PM
May 2017
ColourWheel said:
I have a pretty unique hobby of collecting retro Anime on Laserdisc, VCD, old school DVD, as well as sometimes getting my hands on some old VHS tapes still in working condition. I recently stopped collecting VHS due to finding most of my collection was starting to decay and almost 50% of the time my VCR would just eat up the tapes. So for the past few year I have been hunting down every single retro Anime I grew up collecting or watching on Laserdisc or DVD (mainly because there was a time in my life where I simply was just collecting officially released Anime on some hard copy without ever finding the time to consume it due to working so much).

When it comes to Retro Anime I won't waste the time watching it unless I can get my hands on a physical copy of it. Due to most of the time anything streaming legal or otherwise is almost always just a crappy rip and most Anime pre-2000 was never meant to be digitally formatted to begin with. Watching Anime on official physical copies does effect the experience of quality over streaming.

I could go on mentioning every obscure Retro Anime I have watched recently but I won't and instead just mention some titles I been able to get my hands on recently and have actually watched or started watching.

Most recently finished watching the entire "Macron 1" series as well as the movie that followed it. I was lucky to have my daughter who lives in Japan find this for me a few months ago on Laserdisc. Sadly I couldn't watch this with my real life friends who were interested in seeing it because they don't understand Japanese and it came without subtitle options or a dub.

I also watched recently the entire "Rumic World" trilogy on Japanese Laserdisc too; "Fire Tripper", "The Supergal", "Laughing Target". Was a complete rare find for me to get them in such great conditions.

I also found these titles on Japanese Laserdisc recently too and bought them right away online; "Bakuen Campus Guardress", "Saber Marionette R", "Great Planet Evil-Destroyer Dangaio", "All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku", "Megami Paradise", "Virus: Virus Buster Serge", "You're Under Arrest".

If I can I will buy Retro Anime on DVD too. Here are some of the series I been watching or finished recently pre-2000s; "Neo Ranga", "Slayers" (the 1st season and a few of the movies), "Those Who Hunt Elves", "Zenki", "Princess Nine", "Gokudo", "Kurogane Communication", "Legend of Himiko", "Maze: The Mega-Burst Space", "Metal Fighter Miku".

LASERDISC! Very impressive. And I have to say you got a lot of classic Anime on DVD and laserdisc. How many VHS did you get and can you tell me by comparing the quality of VHS and digitally restored version of one show? So, I can get an idea of how there is a difference. 
Mar 31, 2023 12:27 AM

Jun 2019
We just finished the WMT show Romeo & the Black Brothers in our group watch, story was a bit underwhelming tbh but lovely setting in 19th century Milan and great OST. Also just finished Ruin Explorers Fam & Ihrie OVA, I really enjoy a good fantasy or sci-fi OVA from the 80's or 90's.
Mar 31, 2023 12:32 AM

Mar 2021
almightybismarck said:
ColourWheel said:

LASERDISC! Very impressive. And I have to say you got a lot of classic Anime on DVD and laserdisc. How many VHS did you get and can you tell me by comparing the quality of VHS and digitally restored version of one show? So, I can get an idea of how there is a difference. 

Most of my VHS collection I slowly over time started getting rid of after I got my hands on either a DVD or Laserdisc of it. As an example when I finally got my hands on the entire original Dragon Ball series on DVD I basically pawned off the VHS tapes I had of it at a place called "Great Escapes" back in the 2000s. The same thing happened when ever I bought something I previously owned on VHS and then bought it on Laserdisc or DVD. Eventually places stopped taking VHS tapes and I just gave them away to "GoodWill" (donating anything is always a good Tax write-off). Basically I haven't really kept track but I probably still have at least a hundred Anime on officially released VHS tapes still.

As for comparing quality, it's hard to say it really depends on the condition of the VHS tape and the condition of your VCR. As an example if you have watched "Akira" on the original 1991 VHS Streamline pictures release back in the early 90s and say you have watched it over and over again so many time that you lost count. You will notice an extreme difference in picture and audio quality over the Laserdisc version that anyone could have bought at a local "Hot Topic" Store at the mall back in the early 2000s (I actually bought Akira on Laserdisc at my local mall at "Hot Topic" in the early 2000s). But If you have a VHS that has only been played once over a used Laserdisc the quality there won't be that noticeable difference unless you pay attention other than the fact it's just a different format (maybe the audio will sound better but Laserdisc is always better quality than VHS). Over all Laserdisc even used is better quality than brand new DVD from the same Era. Either way ripping either VHS or Laserdisc digitally is just crap. Even some of the older DVDs pre-2000 were never meant to be digitally formatted and will likely just turn out looking and sounding like crap.  
ColourWheelMar 31, 2023 12:37 AM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

16 by MichaelJackson »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

84 by Hikinekomori »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

113 by lycan_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Does anyone ever feel like anime is inferior to western television. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

15poundfish - Feb 12, 2017

351 by Toooooooooohru »»
9 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.