Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 1, 2022 9:40 AM
Dec 2020
People seem to really not like it, I wanna know the general thought about it.
Please be civil, we don’t need a mod to take down the thread.
Volcanic_PhoenixDec 1, 2022 9:44 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 1, 2022 9:51 AM
Jun 2021
Sometimes it's good sometimes its shit That's my honest opinion
Dec 1, 2022 9:55 AM
Jan 2021
in ep 1 it was mid but now its pretty good
Dec 1, 2022 9:56 AM
Jun 2021
It's just alright. It definitely isn't perfect like in Ajin or Kengan Ashura, but it's watchable for the most of the time.
Dec 1, 2022 9:58 AM
Apr 2016
Kind of disappointing that they went that route. I’ve seen worse though.
Dec 1, 2022 10:04 AM

Apr 2019
It's not perfect but it's still pretty good. Also it's used in moderation so I don't mind it very much. 2D-CGI blending is the future of anime and it's good seeing that other studios apart from Ufotable are getting good at using this technology as well.
Dec 1, 2022 10:15 AM
Apr 2020
it's one of the best and thank you f god they actually choose to experiment more on cgi in a popular mainstream anime people may talk shit but they can't lie about cgi in general getting much much better
now the slam dunk movie, trigun stampede is also coming i can't wait to see those haters burn in the cgi success lol
Dec 1, 2022 10:15 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
I don’t even care about CGI in anything at this point, watching Kingdom season 1 makes you numb to any poor CGI, cuz it’s hard to top how bad that was. That said I don’t think it’s bad, and doesn’t warrant the hate it’s gotten in my opinion. But like I said, I’m numb to it even if it was lol.
Dec 1, 2022 10:16 AM
Sep 2021
i literally do not care
Dec 1, 2022 10:21 AM
Jul 2017
IMO the CGI is actually great compare to other anime. The problem is everything else in this anime are look really really good making the CGI really stand out and feel odd. Also the diehard fans of the anime really want this anime to be the best thing ever so there is no way they gonna satisfied with the CGI. And there are the hater side whose gonna hate it either the CGI is good or not.
Monster of the week trope is a sign inability of the author to write a good plot so they introduce random ass villain to distract viewer with action.

My English is not good.

Dec 1, 2022 10:22 AM
Dec 2020
It's decent. My problem with it is that they will do some crazy ass 2d animation then out of nowhere the character is full 3d and moves in slow motion.
Dec 1, 2022 10:40 AM
Aug 2018
At it's best the CGI is very good, at it's worst it's kinda eh and just passable. Though more often than not it's been good imo
Dec 1, 2022 10:46 AM
Apr 2016
I think it fits the tone, direction and overall aesthetics of the show. Totally fine with it.
Dec 1, 2022 10:53 AM

Mar 2021
I still feel Studio Ufotable is good when it comes to using CGI special effects in 2d animation and Studio Orange is very good at full on 3D animation. This show is getting there, but still has a long way to reach!!
Dec 1, 2022 11:05 AM

Dec 2021
it's perfect
forum closed

Dec 1, 2022 11:10 AM
Sep 2021
Weebs hear cgi and immediately hate it regardless of it’s quality. I blame berserk 2016 for this
Dec 1, 2022 12:37 PM
Feb 2021
I've had no problem with it at all. Visually everything is good for me in CSM
Dec 1, 2022 1:13 PM
Jul 2015
Sometimes it is good, sometimes I find it to be really bad (worst part was in the first episode I think, it has gotten better now). What I expected was for it to be better but that can be said for the show overall. Maybe it is that standards that people hold are really low, or then again I may be at fault being in the movie industry perspective and expecting too much.
Dec 1, 2022 1:20 PM
Aug 2021
I may too much of a pleb to notice or I simply don't care.
Dec 1, 2022 1:37 PM

Oct 2021
When it looks out of place, it's not great. However for me that has only happened a total of 4 times, twice in episode 1 and episode 8.

Regarding a specific shot in episode 8, Katanaman charging up before slashing Aki was obviously CG and stood out compared to the previous shots. It could've been done better if they made his jacket less stiff when he was crouching down, and I think that would've sold me a lot more on it.

Devils like the Ghost and the Snake were obviously CG but I didn't feel put off by them, and I believe that the cinematic/realistic backgrounds help ground both the 2D and 3D elements really well.

I believe there's many more scenes that have used CGI but they must have been blended well enough that I haven't noticed, so I'd say overall the CGI is good, bordering on great.
Dec 1, 2022 1:37 PM

Jun 2016
Not a fan of CGI in anime. The thing is that when I can see the contrast between the 2D and it takes me out of it.
Dec 1, 2022 1:51 PM
Oct 2015
I have a problem with the arc direction of the anime, but I don't think the CGI really is the problem. Dorohedoro, for example makes flawless use of CGI to create an amazing experience, since it would never be able to reproduce the detailed gritty style the manga has. Chainsaw Man, however, feels kinda flat, it is not able to translate to anime form the stylzed hyper-violent art of the manga that makes the plot works and the jokes land, to such a degree even the characters feel different and off from one to another.
Dec 1, 2022 2:08 PM
Apr 2019
wow look at that, most people don't mind the cgi. like always it seems like it's the vocal minority that is always complaining about it
Some things can only be achieved through animation.
Dec 1, 2022 2:20 PM

May 2016
I dreaded it after the first episode, because they didn't even fix aliasing on some models.
But from ep 2 on, pretty sure it's as good as we've see on this type of show. Head and shoulders above what MAPPA would serve up not too long ago.

I feel like they went the right route, there's very little that's 3D rendered in frame, and it'll be devils mostly.
There's some like when Himeno brought sleeping Denji to the flat, movement clearly 3D based, but drawn over.
A lot in combat too, so they can do ufotable style moving camera. Enough of a mix, that the eye reads it as a mix. Still noticeable, but more appealing.

I generally hate the MAPPA style with a passion, but Chainsaw Man looks and sounds great overall.
Tbh, the adaptaion so far is massively elevating a pretty average manga.
Dec 1, 2022 2:25 PM
May 2022
I don't hate it but I wish it was a bit better sometimes. there's been a couple scenes that took me out of it.
it's alright
Dec 1, 2022 2:54 PM
May 2022
Marko_Maruko said:
It's just alright. It definitely isn't perfect like in Ajin or Kengan Ashura, but it's watchable for the most of the time.

Ajin’s animation is shit tho?imo
Dec 1, 2022 2:59 PM
Jul 2021
ashinthesun said:

There wasn't much CGI in ep 1 to begin with
Dec 1, 2022 2:59 PM

Aug 2021
For the most part it’s been good, although ep8’s cgi was a little too glaringly obvious for my taste; it could have been blended in better. But overall they’re not doing too bad.
Dec 1, 2022 3:21 PM
Feb 2021
just who cares, show looks good and that's all matters to me. I don't give a fuc how they did it hand drawn or something in computer.
Nir#9404 on discord feel free to DM me
Dec 1, 2022 3:36 PM
Sep 2008
It definitely detracts from the show overall, but isn't that terrible. Like another said, the fact that so many other aspects of the show look so good makes it more jarring when it occurs, especially the more shoddy instances. I'd say I'm "old school", and really well animated and choreographed 2D sakuga is the peak of of anime animation. While we do get a ton of this in the show, there are also pivotal moments and fights that I'd obviously have loved to see animated this way, or for them to have pooled their resources away from other scenes if they were being stretched too thin. It's like with the prior episode. It was really great and well directed , and I obviously don't hate the episode or think it was bad for using CG, but I would have gone from a 9/10 to a 9.5/10 if the awkward CG wasn't there. As much as many people like to argue that CGI is a necessary evil, I totally believe that Chainsaw Man is the kind of production that could have gotten away with whatever it wanted and not used it so liberally in action scenes, it's a directorial choice and one I don't always agree with.

Also, while pretty much everything around the Chainsaw Man discourse is extremely toxic, I still like to watch the meltdowns from the sidelines. It seems the CGI GOOD/BAD debate is one of the strongest. Lets really work harder to be better and find a reasonable middle ground here (I realized what I'm asking is impossible). It seems that if you don't like the CG, you're a hater/troll/bot and they claim it ruined the episode and it's Midsaw man. If you do like it "The CGI is perfectly fine!" "I didn't even notice!" "It's perfect!" "THIS IS PEAK FICTION LIKE A FUCKNG FIIIIIILM!! IT'S BETTER THAN ANIME GUYS WE HIT FIIIIIIIIIIILM LEVELS OF PEAK!". Like I said previously, it took the last episode from a 9.5 to a 9 for me. I think there is more middle ground for us to try and find in being erk'd by the use of it in certain scenes without it saying it ruined everything and for people saying it's perfect to be honest and admit it's flaws (Denji had 2 freakin lower jaws while his CG model was talking in episode 3 for Gods sakes) But I know I am asking for too much from the users here and more of them probably didn't even read my whole post.
Dec 1, 2022 4:04 PM
Dec 2021
I don't really mind it, its not amazing but its also not awful. tolerable
Dec 1, 2022 5:05 PM
Sep 2019
It’s decent albeit not as good as AoT contrary to popular belief I think the CG titans in The Final Season look great especially Eren’s.
Dec 1, 2022 5:17 PM

Nov 2020
There is CGI in every episode, people just choose to ignore it. When its noticable its quite terrible so my answer goes to Yikess. its bad
Dec 1, 2022 5:18 PM

Jan 2019
A bit rough around the edges a couple times, but other than that I think it's really well done.
VelxonY said:
There is CGI in every episode, people just choose to ignore it. When its noticable its quite terrible so my answer goes to Yikess. its bad

I cannot take you seriously with your profile description, blatant doom posting.
Dec 1, 2022 5:27 PM
Nov 2020
it really is good imo people want chainsaw man anime to be 100% 2d, but let's be realistic it's too hard to do that and mappa has been doing really good with the 2d and the 3d, yes it's not perfect but you got to appreciate the effort that they put into the show

it's good in my opinion

don't attack me for putting my opinion in this if you don't like it then don't
Dec 1, 2022 7:12 PM
Apr 2022
117 people thought the CGI is perfect, oh god…here come more CGI anime, thanks you lot
Dec 1, 2022 7:18 PM
Jan 2022
It’s alright, has a few questionable moments but most of the time it’s serviceable and not really noticeable unless you are really out to notice it. Visually it doesn’t really hinder the show but yknow it’s something easy to target for the haters cause CGI has a mixed history that has some real bad parts
Dec 1, 2022 7:21 PM

Oct 2021
They've improved since Inuyashiki and AoT Final Season, but still nowhere near as great as works produced by Orange and Kinema Citrus, and 2D-3D blending by Ufotable.
Dec 1, 2022 7:31 PM
Oct 2022
It’s either good or atrocious, no in-between. I’ve stopped caring about it though and i’m just vibing with everything else.
Dec 1, 2022 8:50 PM
Apr 2021
sometimes it is eh but sometimes it genuinely looks fantastic. I also love all the rotoscoping stuff they're doing. super exploratory in terms of animation as a whole and I think it does look fantastic
Dec 1, 2022 9:33 PM
Jan 2022
eri4 said:
sometimes it is eh but sometimes it genuinely looks fantastic. I also love all the rotoscoping stuff they're doing. super exploratory in terms of animation as a whole and I think it does look fantastic

There is no rotoscoping used it’s just pure character animation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2022 10:08 PM
Jun 2021
Honestly the cgi in the latest episode was great especially in the katana man vs aki fight, what didn’t look good was the shitty blood spurt effect they poorly composited when katana man was killed by the curse devil
Dec 1, 2022 10:13 PM
Jul 2021
It's great tbh but my favourite Mappa CGI is still the 3d cgi in AoT S4.
Dec 1, 2022 10:25 PM

Aug 2018
WilfredJohnson said:
Honestly the cgi in the latest episode was great especially in the katana man vs aki fight, what didn’t look good was the shitty blood spurt effect they poorly composited when katana man was killed by the curse devil

yeah that fight was unfortunately pretty underwhelming. Too many close up shots and it felt really slow paced wasn't really the fight I was hoping for with all the build up.
Dec 1, 2022 11:34 PM
Jun 2021
squeekeez said:
ashinthesun said:

There wasn't much CGI in ep 1 to begin with
RIMMY007 said:
Marko_Maruko said:

Ajin’s animation is shit tho?imo
No, it's perfect. You probably just aren't used to CGI.
Dec 2, 2022 12:40 AM
Jul 2021
why isn’t there an option between its alright and it’s perfect. Very good would be my opinion
Dec 2, 2022 1:51 AM

Nov 2020
Elucid said:
A bit rough around the edges a couple times, but other than that I think it's really well done.
VelxonY said:

I cannot take you seriously with your profile description, blatant doom posting.

Whats wrong about my profile description?
Dec 2, 2022 4:03 AM
Jun 2019
CSM CGI is scary. I swear in some scenes, I'm sure they used CGI but then I look online and realize that they actually used 2D. I can clearly tell some scenes are CG but it doesn't worsen my watching experience at all. I also like how they don't add too much detail on the CG models, as that's where most of the uncanniness of CGI stems from.
Hi
Dec 2, 2022 4:39 AM
Dec 2020
kyo_1 said:
why isn’t there an option between its alright and it’s perfect. Very good would be my opinion

My bad, too late now
Dec 2, 2022 4:59 AM
Jun 2021
TheNotSoAmazing said:
WilfredJohnson said:

yeah that fight was unfortunately pretty underwhelming. Too many close up shots and it felt really slow paced wasn't really the fight I was hoping for with all the build up.

You have to be mentally unwell to call that fight underwhelming 🤦‍♂️
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Dec 27, 2022

985 by Skeet12 »»
May 19, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 25, 2022

860 by RafaKojiro »»
May 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 18, 2022

1141 by Hasanzade_S »»
May 12, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Chainsaw Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Nov 1, 2022

783 by xriceball26 »»
May 7, 4:21 PM

» Why wasn't it 24 episodes? ( 1 2 )

Leon888 - Apr 9

55 by Naveen6662246 »»
May 5, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.