Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Sep 6, 2023 12:31 PM

May 2020
Reply to Altadena
What the fuck are these reviews? This movie was great! ISTG half of MAL users are either anime elitist snobs who've seen practically every anime ever made or just don't feel happiness anymore. The visuals were beautiful, and it feels like a slap to the face to the animators that put their blood, sweat, and dedication into this movie to simply say the art was just "OK." The music was nice and really added depth to most emotional scenes. The character's motivations and personalities were simple to complement the story and to be the main focus! Also, come on, when have you seen an animated movie about a HS student and a chair traveling across Japan to prevent a supernatural spirit/being from causing devastating natural disasters with recurring talking cat gods. 

The only negative was the fact the love interest was a university student trying to become a teacher,,, (the irony), and the main character was a junior HS student who was definitely between 15-17. BUT overall this movie was great and if i had the chance to watch this in theaters i would have come out pleasantly surprised. 9/10!
@Altadena
ngl, the reviews are their opinion and this movie was ok not great.

Sep 9, 2023 9:58 AM
Jan 2022
I think it might be because I was waiting along long time for the release of this film but even though other people will say its not Shinkai's best work, to me it is. Shinkai decided to take a more serious approach with this film and I loved the concept of it being a Roadtrip style film with many places reflecting disasters or "problems" (as put by Shinkai) that Japan faces...
Sep 25, 2023 6:04 PM

Aug 2022
Every frame was (real) Art! Every frame was a Masterpiece!
Thanks to creators at CoMix Wave Films and Shinkai Makoto 🥰
Sep 25, 2023 9:54 PM
Sep 2023
Great movie, almost as good as Your Name
Oct 4, 2023 11:42 AM
Nov 2016
I'm pissed about Suzume choosing boyfriend over a cat.
Oct 9, 2023 3:22 AM
Jul 2018
they are the best ever
text colored red
Oct 22, 2023 9:53 PM
Feb 2021
Decent watch but felt better than "your name" and some other shinkai films.
Oct 29, 2023 1:34 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice film
The power of the imagination was beautifully captured in an adveture totally full of surprises, where action, adventure and romance come together to form the story.

Good animation, with details
Beautifil music

7/10

kekeke
Nov 1, 2023 6:27 AM
Jun 2007
Another great movie on love that goes beyond "alternate" dimension/reality
Nov 4, 2023 7:21 PM

May 2014
To be from the same director and studio as Your name and Weathering w
With You, I feel it did not have the same quality and did not have the same impact. Nevertheless, the animation was top-notch. The character development was superb, but the plot was just meh. Also, a bit forced romance near the end which was totally unnecessary. All in all, a fine film, 6/9.
mangalicker94Nov 4, 2023 11:52 PM
Nov 14, 2023 10:27 PM

May 2015
it was good for a shinkai movie
I feel like we'll never get something of the caliber of Your Name ever again tho

Serizawa saved the movie, he needed more screen time tbh
Nov 17, 2023 12:24 AM
Jun 2012
Smoking is bad... But, this movie is pretty good. 👍

That soundtrack was excellent. And while his decisions on toxic substances wasn't very cool. His taste in music was.

His audience was just having a tough time. The road trip segment was the best part of the movie.

9/10

Would recommend over the director's other works. Especially to newer viewers.

Also, the Crunchyroll 2023-11-16 release really did feel like an actual theatrical release. So props to them for that.
Nov 17, 2023 4:32 PM
boop boop

Mar 2018
Visuals are superb as expected from CoMix, OST gave me goosebumps near the end, wonderful movie! I still liked Weathering with You a bit better tho
死だけが確実
Nov 19, 2023 10:04 AM
Dec 2021
Nah tf is this I wanted the cats to have a happy end too…!
Nov 22, 2023 1:32 PM
Nov 2016
Filme Maravilhoso
Nov 22, 2023 9:39 PM

Jan 2022
I didn't know he made another film, so this was completely unexpected. This movie was as beautiful as his previous works but is still not on the same level as Your Name, but I'm biased because that holds a special place in my heart. The animation was beautiful and the colors were so vivid. Don't get me started on how beautiful the sky looked. The story was definitely different compared to his other stuff, but this was still really good. It had some dark themes surrounding death and natural disasters so it was not as lighthearted as his other content. The music was also phenomenal. It also had funny scenes which I appreciated. The walking chair was hilarious. Overall, very unique story!
This never updates so that's cool
Nov 25, 2023 5:55 PM

May 2014
I preferred the first half to the second half. Cute cat, cute chair. 7/10
Nov 25, 2023 7:03 PM

Mar 2014
Terrible movie! Do not watch!
Nov 29, 2023 8:03 AM
Oct 2022
The film is an emotional rollercoaster and just genuinely written famously. I would write a maybe 20-page essay on this move, but I cannot put it into words shortly after watching it as I am flabbergasted, just watch it, it's great.
Nov 30, 2023 5:33 AM

Mar 2013
I would probably say that this is a successor of Kimi no Na Wa and is greater than Tenki no Ko.
That's my take. 😅 (but it's probably not greater than the latter)

Anyway, I finally get to see another movie with a lovely happy ending. It was fun and bittersweet watching this movie but it's probably better if I could've watched this in a movie theater. The experience could've been better... more or less.

What I hate and also love about this is the cat named Daijin, he was mostly annoying at first but at the end, Suzume finally realized that he was actually helping a hand to the two, even after turning Souta into that. 😑

However, they didn't elaborate on the origin of those cats and simply gave a hint of what they were basing from that old guy, bedridden in the hospital, and also from the chants being used by Souta which made a lot more sense. (You need the brain turned on to actually appreciate this... XD)

Honestly, if they made this into a game, it could be worthwhile but it's probably better to create a full dive VR game for this one. 😳

P.S. Definitely looking for a sequel where the cats are also happy and unbounded from the earth. The worm could also be purified or something... 😳
CrazyButNot4UNov 30, 2023 5:43 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 8, 2023 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
Beautiful spectacle of visuals and... that's pretty much it. Apart from this and good soundtrack, I can't think of any "better than mediocre" elements of this movie. It was fun to watch, though. Daijin was cute.
Dec 10, 2023 2:44 PM

Dec 2021
idk maybe just keep the cat n leave souta defend, big L trying to call that romance n love
Dec 16, 2023 10:56 PM
Nov 2023
8/10 this is goated holy shit
Dec 19, 2023 6:20 AM
Dec 2023
muy linda pelicula.
Dec 24, 2023 3:06 PM
May 2021
BEAUTIFUL LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH
Dec 30, 2023 4:03 AM
Dec 2023
OMG where do i begin! well for starters this movie might be the most cinematic anime i've ever seen, and what i mean by that is it feels soooo oh how do i put this... like a movie! The use of tracking shots with wide angle animation makes this feel more like a live action movie than anything. The animation was beautiful and slick! Honestly some of the best stuff i've seen ever, and the story... omg the story, absolutely intriguing, lovable characters, and plot that feels soooo vast and grandiose!!, all in all loved this movie, it's amazing, check it out if you haven't seen it.
Dec 31, 2023 9:07 PM
Mar 2021
it ws good :OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Jan 1, 1:10 PM

Jun 2015
This is the biggest clickbait of my life! I saw the trailer when it came out, then forgot all about the movie and slept on it for a year. I rediscovered the movie last year thanks to the SONG and remembered that I saw in the trailer an ikemen who looked like Howl with dark hair. I thought great! This should have the exciting yet dangerous adventure of a high schooler who can open doors to another dimension and there's a hot guy. Half of my expectation was true. There was no hot guy! He was a chair for half of the movie, and half of that half he wasn't even in the action. Seriously, what the hell!

On another note, I feel sorry for Daijin. I thought he was the bad guy all that time and that he went opening door while in fact he was guiding them to the open door. He only vice was his selfishness. However, it's understandable given he was lonely for centuries. He just wanted some love. He and Sadaijin remind me of Sadaharu and his younger brother from Gintama. There must be a myth that goes that way out there. I should look it up.

After everything, it was a very beautiful movie.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 4, 9:03 PM
May 2020
Meaningless and no character development.
Jan 23, 4:08 AM
Dec 2022
This is another great anime from Makoto Shinkai. The music is by Radwimps which is excellent as always. Worth spending two hours just to watch this. Has been waiting for this to be released on Crunchyroll.

Serizawa has some cool songs playing on the radio in his convertible hard-top. It is a shame those songs not included in the Suzume soundtrack album. The visual is top notch as usual. The story line is engaging though haven't we seen this kind before?
Jan 23, 7:25 PM

May 2015
It was quite an enjoyable watch, very focused on adventure and nice road-trip elements, with great art. Although, the plot itself about the Ever-After and worms is a bit... well, like it existed solely to drive the plot forward, without actual meaning or sense to it.
Jan 27, 9:14 PM

Dec 2022
boy for a while there it was really worrying me that it wasn't going to have the happiest possible ending thank the gods they delivered. that took a long time to get going no less than a good 45 minutes but once it things ramped up it hit all the right places
Feb 6, 11:33 AM
Apr 2021
Great Great Movie!!
Feb 13, 6:57 AM

Apr 2015
Finally manage to watch and i really enjoyed. I thought the 2 hours movie would be too much, but loved the road trip aspects and in the end i thought the pace was fine.

Also the magical OST was on point, remember more some ghibli movies than the others Shinkai ones sometimes.

I enjoyed this more than weathering with you to tell the truth. 9/10
Feb 18, 6:30 PM

Dec 2016
Have watched most of Shinkai movies and have been a fan since his early days. I feel that this movie is probably the weakest out of all of his works I've seen.

Even though it has the most beautiful animation of his 3 most commendable movies, it has the most contrived writing of them all. There's plenty of times you wonder, why does Suzume does this (like following a complete stranger she just met, or dipping in a pond with her shoes on). Why does she go that far for a guy she just met for a day or so? Why does every single person she crosses paths are so helpful on a runaway girl? Why does a whole god decides to jump in and help her after more than half a movie? Why does Souta's friend go above and beyond in helping him even when Souta is out of the picture for most of the second part of the movie and he blindly believes a teen he found out at his apparttment? What makes Suzume so special that only she and Souta can see these opening gates and the worm coming out of them?

Just like that other thread, the romance angle just doesn't work in this movie. Suzume met a guy for less than a day, he turned into a chair, and after day 3 she's willing to give up her life in order to bring Souta back? I feel that the scene with Souta's grandpa already established how contrived and forced Suzume's feeling were at that point. He already accepted Souta's destiny, but Suzume thought about it was fuck everyone else but Souta, I'll open the gates once more even if that means putting millions in danger for someone I just met 3 days ago.

I feel that the movie could have been cut short to 1:20hour and it would still be fine. I give it a 6.5/10 just because the animation was stellar, and it didn't bore me to death like other movies do (looking at you Blue Giant).
KimurahFeb 18, 6:48 PM
Mar 3, 1:36 PM

Mar 2013
Animation and soundtrack were incredible, I think the weak point in the film was the "romance" and the plot (it's not bad, but the author has better works!).

Mar 4, 1:46 PM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Mar 5, 5:12 PM
Aug 2011
I finally watched Suzume, which I had been looking forward to for months, having loved Your Name (which remains my favorite animated film) and finding Weathering with You enjoyable. Suzume seemed to have everything to please me based on the excerpts, but I must admit that... well, I didn't really connect with it. And I'm really disappointed; it's one of those films that you're disappointed not to have liked (even though it's silly to be upset about not liking something).

Honestly, I found everything to be average in this film. The visuals are absolutely stunning, BUT I don't know if it's because I got used to Your Name, but no shot really blew me away. The soundtrack is the same; it's nice, but I found it very subtle compared to other films like Your Name. You notice the music at many moments, but it doesn't stand out much. The characters aren't particularly endearing, especially Souta, who is ultimately extremely flat, and the fact that he is a chair three-quarters of the time doesn't really help and contributes to making the feeling of forced romance (since the characters don't share any moments that could be considered romantic in the end). And the story, which had everything to please, didn't really leave a mark on me. The film's pace is really strange; it goes at 300 miles per hour, after 5 minutes of the film, we're already in the heart of the action without having had time to really set up. The concept of the road trip was cool, but there's this "one place, one door, then next place, one door" aspect. The secondary characters were uninteresting or difficult to understand, especially the two cats. And the film doesn't have any particularly memorable scenes; even the climax is quite ordinary, you don't feel a lot of emotions, and especially the Shinkai formula is starting to become quite evident.

In short, I found it quite average, but what frustrates me is that I feel like I completely missed something. I can't figure out if it's just me not liking it, or if I really missed the film's subtext. Because I see many comments saying that it's genius, that the story is incredibly well-written, deep, that Shinkai addresses serious themes of grief, natural disasters, that the film is a tribute to Ghibli with lots of references... but I absolutely saw NONE of that. I didn't find the film so profound, and especially, okay, it talks about natural disasters, but I really don't see the connection with Japan's history (well, okay, there are abandoned places and there have been natural disasters in the past, but does that make it one of the film's subtexts?). Anyway, the film really leaves me with a bitter feeling.
Mar 26, 12:59 AM
Jan 2011
Quite possibly Shikai's worst movie that I've ever seen.
Apr 15, 7:39 AM

Aug 2018
Suzume was pretty good overall. I loved how it kicked off, kept me engaged through the middle, but towards the end, it kind of lost its spark for me. The romance felt hurried and didn't quite hit the mark.
Apr 15, 4:06 PM
May 2021
Didn't watch it in one sitting cause how late it was at my aunties house so I finished it at my own crib. The animation was gorgeous like I'm still surprised on Shinkais animation quality. I liked all character chemistry except for daijin fuck him. Watched it on its anniversary but had to finish it the day after.

Edit:
would've still finished it the day after since of how late it was
Apr 25, 5:40 PM
Jan 2022
fofo, diferente do que eu esperava mas fofo
Apr 26, 3:18 AM
Oct 2022
very good, great even
10 hours ago
Apr 2024
peak fiction i cried
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Remake of weathering with you?

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

37 by Cyrose »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

40 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 19, 8:17 PM

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

68 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 17, 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.