Forum Settings
Forums

'Urusei Yatsura' TV Anime Reveals Additional Cast

Oct 5, 8:55 AM
#1
News Team
Offline
Aug 2019
115

The official website of the Urusei Yatsura (2022) television anime revealed four additional cast on Thursday. The anime is scheduled to broadcast on October 14 at 12:55 a.m. on Fuji TV's noitaminA block, Iwate Menkoi TV, Sakuranbo TV, Fukushima TV and Saga TV, followed by TV Ehime and others.

Cast
Father Moroboshi: Toshio Furukawa (Dragon Ball)
Mother Moroboshi: Keiko Toda (Cat's Eye)
Lum's Father: Rikiya Koyama (Fate/stay night)
Lum's Mother: Fumi Hirano (Urusei Yatsura)

Furukawa and Hirano were the voices of Ataru Moroboshi and Lum, respectively, in the original 1981 anime.

Hideya Takahashi (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze) and Yasuhiro Kimura (2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu) are helming the new anime at David Production. Yuuko Kakihara (Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara) is handling the series composition and Naoyuki Asano (Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!) is designing the characters.

Rumiko Takahashi serialized the sci-fi romantic comedy manga in Weekly Shounen Sunday from 1978 to 1987 and compiled into 35 volumes. Shogakukan later reprinted the series in 15 wide-ban volumes in 1989–1990, 18 bunkoban volumes in 1998–1999, and 35 shinsoban volumes in 2006–2008.

Source: Comic Natalie
Hyperion_PSOct 5, 12:55 PM
Oct 5, 9:28 AM
#2

Offline
Oct 2018
1482
Damn, Lum's mom looks so hot.
Oct 5, 9:36 AM
#3
Offline
Mar 2019
25
So glad the OG VAs are back, especially in roles that make the most sense for them.
Oct 5, 10:26 AM
#4

Offline
Apr 2012
12897
Mom and Dad are literally their identities?
Oct 5, 10:49 AM
#5

Offline
Jan 2018
1747
Fumi Hirano and Toshio Furukawa voiced Lum and Ataru Moroboshi respectively in the original 1981 Urusei Yatsura. I guess you forgot to mention that.
Oct 5, 10:54 AM
#6
Offline
Apr 2022
145
Hyperion_PS said:

The official website of the Urusei Yatsura (2022) television anime revealed four additional cast on Thursday. The anime is scheduled to broadcast on October 14 at 12:55 a.m. on Fuji TV's noitaminA block, Iwate Menkoi TV, Sakuranbo TV, Fukushima TV and Saga TV, followed by TV Ehime and others.

Cast
Father Moroboshi: Toshio Furukawa (Dragon Ball)
Mother Moroboshi: Keiko Toda (Cat's Eye)
Lum's Father: Rikiya Koyama (Fate/stay night)
Lum's Mother: Fumi Hirano (Urusei Yatsura)

Hideya Takahashi (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 5: Ougon no Kaze) and Yasuhiro Kimura (2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu) are helming the new anime at David Production. Yuuko Kakihara (Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara) is handling the series composition and Naoyuki Asano (Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!) is designing the characters.

Rumiko Takahashi serialized the sci-fi romantic comedy manga in Weekly Shounen Sunday from 1978 to 1987 and compiled into 35 volumes. Shogakukan later reprinted the series in 15 wide-ban volumes in 1989–1990, 18 bunkoban volumes in 1998–1999, and 35 shinsoban volumes in 2006–2008.

Source: Comic Natalie
You could have also pointed the most important thing about these news, instead of just going copy/paste on us.
Oct 5, 3:25 PM
#7

Offline
Oct 2010
17648
I have no words, best choices in VAs ever
Oct 5, 8:14 PM
#8

Offline
Mar 2019
250
Really cool that Lum and Ataru's original voice actors are back. Although if you ask me Toshio Furukawa could have voice acted Ataru in this new anime. I also thought this when they made the first announcement about this project. I understand why they cast new voice actors though.
Oct 5, 9:55 PM
#9
Offline
Sep 2011
92
With his ability I think Toshio Furukawa could voice more challenging characters, like the jokester Mendou's father or the jerkass Mr.Fujinami.
Oct 6, 12:18 AM

Offline
Jul 2021
5909
Looking forward to this
big 3 ranking :
1. One Piece
2. Bleach
3. Naruto
Oct 6, 1:47 AM

Offline
May 2009
167
I'm beyond pissed off. If the OGs are available to do voice work, they should be recasted because they were that iconic when it originally aired and that level of epicness cannot be matched. I'll still watch it but I don't think I'll enjoy this more than the OG.
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Oct 6, 3:54 AM
Offline
Sep 2021
1
I understand them casting new actors but come on, a classic like Urusei Yatsura needs to be voiced by the original actors if their avaibale. Those actors are what brought the characters to life. Same for the dub versions. I know alot of dub versions are dominated by Funimation, Sentai, Bang zoom and other studios in Texas and California. Which has produced tons of great dubs. However, when it comes to the works of Rumiko Takahashi, I feel the studios in Canada have a right to them. Studios Like Ocean and Blue dub gave us great shows like; InuYasha, Masion Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Mermaid scar-ova, Death Note, Gundam Wing, Nana, and full moon.
Sharon92Oct 6, 4:04 AM
Oct 6, 7:07 AM
Offline
Apr 2022
145
CataOrShane said:
I'm beyond pissed off. If the OGs are available to do voice work, they should be recasted because they were that iconic when it originally aired and that level of epicness cannot be matched. I'll still watch it but I don't think I'll enjoy this more than the OG.


Sharon92 said:
I understand them casting new actors but come on, a classic like Urusei Yatsura needs to be voiced by the original actors if their avaibale. Those actors are what brought the characters to life. Same for the dub versions. I know alot of dub versions are dominated by Funimation, Sentai, Bang zoom and other studios in Texas and California. Which has produced tons of great dubs. However, when it comes to the works of Rumiko Takahashi, I feel the studios in Canada have a right to them. Studios Like Ocean and Blue dub gave us great shows like; InuYasha, Masion Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Mermaid scar-ova, Death Note, Gundam Wing, Nana, and full moon.


I've heard several instances when original voice actors reprised their roles decades after, while their characters remained of the same age, and it just sounded forced, and unnatural.

Furukawa is 76 now, and Hirano 67; their time to voice teenage characters is over.
Oct 6, 7:17 AM

Offline
May 2009
167
Azering said:
CataOrShane said:
I'm beyond pissed off. If the OGs are available to do voice work, they should be recasted because they were that iconic when it originally aired and that level of epicness cannot be matched. I'll still watch it but I don't think I'll enjoy this more than the OG.


Sharon92 said:
I understand them casting new actors but come on, a classic like Urusei Yatsura needs to be voiced by the original actors if their avaibale. Those actors are what brought the characters to life. Same for the dub versions. I know alot of dub versions are dominated by Funimation, Sentai, Bang zoom and other studios in Texas and California. Which has produced tons of great dubs. However, when it comes to the works of Rumiko Takahashi, I feel the studios in Canada have a right to them. Studios Like Ocean and Blue dub gave us great shows like; InuYasha, Masion Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Mermaid scar-ova, Death Note, Gundam Wing, Nana, and full moon.


I've heard several instances when original voice actors reprised their roles decades after, while their characters remained of the same age, and it just sounded forced, and unnatural.

Furukawa is 76 now, and Hirano 67; their time to voice teenage characters is over.



Furukawa's voice has not changed a bit. Hirano hasn't been active in the seiyuu industry.
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Oct 6, 7:18 AM

Offline
May 2019
1104
It's really sweet to see the OGs are passing the torch to the new ones. Hopefully, this will turn into a really great adaptation to keep its legacy for new and old fans alike.

Oct 6, 7:28 AM
Offline
Apr 2022
145
CataOrShane said:


Furukawa's voice has not changed a bit. Hirano hasn't been active in the seiyuu industry.
Just because the recognizability of his voice is more, or less the same, doesn't mean his voice itself haven't changed.

40+ years does make a difference.

Oct 6, 8:06 AM

Offline
May 2009
167
Azering said:
CataOrShane said:


Furukawa's voice has not changed a bit. Hirano hasn't been active in the seiyuu industry.
Just because the recognizability of his voice is more, or less the same, doesn't mean his voice itself haven't changed.

40+ years does make a difference.



He's voiced the same characters throughout decades. Hum... I wonder why?
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Oct 6, 8:39 AM
Offline
Apr 2022
145
CataOrShane said:

He's voiced the same characters throughout decades. Hum... I wonder why?
Pure nostalgia, respect towards the veteran seiyu, and nothing else.

Sailor Moon is still voiced by her 90s seiyu, and everyone can say it's her again, but this time it is obvious she is doing her best to sound young again, unlike the other new voice actresses.
Oct 6, 9:13 AM

Offline
May 2009
167
Azering said:
CataOrShane said:

He's voiced the same characters throughout decades. Hum... I wonder why?
Pure nostalgia, respect towards the veteran seiyu, and nothing else.

Sailor Moon is still voiced by her 90s seiyu, and everyone can say it's her again, but this time it is obvious she is doing her best to sound young again, unlike the other new voice actresses.


Keep your opinion, I'll keep mine and everyone will be happy :)
Gaming channel just for fun: https://www.youtube.com/cataorshane
Oct 7, 5:44 AM
Offline
Oct 2020
152
Sadly, ataru and lum didn't married together in the end cause they're married with others.

At least ataru now have a son who is a member of red ribbon army named gamma 1 and funnily enough that ataru (now become a father) become his enemy now, if you watched the movie. Not only them, but also shinobu and princess kurama in the battle as gamma 2 & chelai
Oct 11, 4:44 AM

Offline
Jul 2010
216
The idea of returning the old Lum and Ataru is very cool! It seems to be nearby, but new horizons are not so bad either. Since we have painted the mother of Lum, then there will be beauty!!! But hopefully not that case xD
I don't mind the new Lam, but I can't forget the old one either. Plus, who knows, they suddenly helped with a new piece of advice.
May be some anime?

More topics from this board

» 'Tsurune: Tsunagari no Issha' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by gyanburubii »»
57 minutes ago

» 'Tengoku Daimakyou' Unveils Production Staff, Teaser Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by AddaeAkono »»
3 hours ago

» Original TV Anime 'Pole Princess!!' Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

41 by Chiorashi-kun »»
5 hours ago

» 'Flaglia: Natsuyasumi no Monogatari' Reveals Main Cast, Winter 2023 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by tsubasalover »»
5 hours ago

» 'Revenger' TV Anime Reveals Production Staff, Third Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

8 by Memore »»
7 hours ago