Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2010 7:34 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
pretty ok ending to a pretty good show :)! <33 Miyu ..to bad it won't have a 2nd season D=

I give this show an 8/10
Apr 28, 2010 5:25 AM

Jan 2010
I'm glad it doesn't have a second season, I think it's great how it is & another season would ruin it.

I give it an 8 as well, very good show!
Jun 22, 2010 2:46 PM

Nov 2009
whaa!!! the ending was so confusing and i didnt get it D'= well umm. . .oh ya... poor Lava got his hand chopped off =( and WOW Miyu actually got defeated but then came back... y would her own mother not like her??? and its so mean 2 ask about the kimono thing... although it was a nice anime and i finished it!!! YAY lol
Jan 13, 2013 6:31 AM

Sep 2012
oh god oh god this is a masterpiece!!! so underrated!!
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Mar 7, 2014 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
Was kinda boring tbh. I only liked some of the characters til the very end. Oh well, at least OST is decent.
Jun 19, 2014 5:49 PM

May 2012
Pretty interesting ending and well quite lovely anime in general, I'm not a too huge fan of the case by episode concept but well it was still pretty nice especially on how they finished it off! 7/10
Dec 27, 2014 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Very good show, the rating here is too low.
Jan 27, 2015 11:19 AM

Aug 2012
The TV series was a mishmash of good and average. Given it's mainly episodic nature/monster of the week structure I found the series to be enjoyable but there were some duff episodes. I liked how the final 5 or so episodes were much more of a story and overall the series built up to a pretty good ending with a nice twist, though not executed particularly well as it had many continuity issues with the episodes prior imo.

Animation was good by AIC, they really were a great studio back in the 80's and 90's. The soundtrack by Kenji Kawai is really good which is to be expected since he did GiTS, I think he brought that style to this very different show and provided something great.

I feel like this was a good light hearted horror show. Each story with a dark ending rather than the happy one. I preferred the OVA personally though the conflict brought up in Miyu's origin story for the TV series is superior.

I gave it a 7/10.
BlaizeVJan 27, 2015 11:22 AM
Apr 28, 2015 5:53 AM

Jul 2013
After a rough start i started to really enjoy the show as "guilty pleasure" type of deal but when the show started to focus on the plot my enjoyment of it went down.

The show was much more fun when it was just focusing on the "monster of the week".
May 4, 2015 2:13 PM

Dec 2014
Mizore951 said:
y would her own mother not like her??? and its so mean 2 ask about the kimono thing...

Her mother was making her daughter understand that Miyu had a vital choice to make: Do you want to live or do you want to die?
Jan 14, 2017 3:59 PM

Oct 2009
I'm so confused. Was Miyu dead at the end and in an eternal dream? Or was that Chisatos dream? Did Chisato die? If Miyu lived, how did she live when Chisato stabbed her to death? Did Miyu put Chisato in an eternal dream by putting her in that ball thing?🤔
Exclusively female yuri community with polls, games, member cards, and more. Join today.Recruiting Staff too!
Feb 20, 2017 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
caninesrock said:
I'm so confused. Was Miyu dead at the end and in an eternal dream? Or was that Chisatos dream? Did Chisato die? If Miyu lived, how did she live when Chisato stabbed her to death? Did Miyu put Chisato in an eternal dream by putting her in that ball thing?🤔

I think the balls are the souls of people who she has given a nice dream after sucking their blood.
My take on it is that there is some mystic force keeping Miyu immortal; when she grabs Chisato's leg she says "I can't die." I think this a literal application of the idiom that Miyu can't die, even if you kill her ;)

However, Chisato would seem to be definitively dead, unlike the people we have seen Miyu suck blood from. So the nice dream that were are lead to believe Chisato is having might perhaps be something Miyu only imagined to make herself feel better.
May 13, 2018 9:22 AM
May 2018
I love it its awesome I wish they would have made at least 10 seasons or 8
May 13, 2018 9:23 AM
May 2018
Please tell me good romance anime I should watch
May 13, 2018 9:26 AM
May 2018
I also love spice and wolf wish they would have made 10 seasons or 7
Mar 25, 2019 2:05 PM

Sep 2014
Well that was nice and unexpected ending. I didn't like the idea of killing miyu's friends in the end, because they were really sweet characters.
Aside from that it was a good show. The charcter design of miyu was quite elegant. Also I loved how most of the episodes ended on a very dark and depressing note; not a single happy ending. Almost every character that involved itself with a shinma was destined to be doomed.
Jun 8, 2019 9:10 PM

Jan 2019
That was an interesting.
Aug 16, 2019 6:40 PM

Oct 2016
That was great. I loved the episodic format because most of the villains were really interesting. To me, this is a perfect example of a horror/vampire anime done right.
I really didn't expect the friendship token to be that important.
That was a pretty sad ending. Really depressing. I think it would have been really cool if Miyu decided to have Larva kill her after all this, but I see why she lived.
8/10. This deserves to be more well-known.

Apr 15, 2020 2:28 PM

Jun 2010
This downbeat ending fits the melancholy tone of many of the individual stories of the series but I'm not that happy with the execution. Shinma-mode Chisato didn't seem much like her normal self, so the turnaround from friendship to enmity didn't have that much impact for me. It might as well have been a fake Chisato who killed the real one. Also, while it's consistent that Miyu does not save anything and leaves emptiness in her wake, it's not really much of a story, is it?
Dec 23, 2020 5:51 PM
Dec 2019
It's a very difficult ending, and one that I hope isn't just one-dimensional by saying that life is either suffering or death. Are they just trying to be edgy and make the audience feel bad for Miyu's situation so they can have an angsty protagonist?

It's clear that they're saying that childhood is a kind of eternal bliss because of its innocence, but inevitably people grow up and have to confront the darkness in themselves and in others, the suffering of this world, and the bitterness of the soul. They use eggs to represent people because the darkness that is inside hatches upon maturation. I wonder if this is why they chose birds as the shinma villains this time. Or does that have something to do with the wind? (EDIT: According to the screenwriter's blog, he just chose birds to be the villains quite arbitrarily)

The wind is used to represent constant change and the impermanence of all things, even something as solid as a rock. They're also saying that there is no reason for destiny. There is no why. Ok, so what point are you trying to make?

"-But he soon took off again. He's always like that. He never stays home with us. He is really very busy. But I don't mind. The winds call your father. You know, when the winds blow, all the birds get very noisy? No matter how often you shoo the birds away they come right back. "

I wonder if this is just talking about how her father is defending her from the birds and/or how he's compelled by the winds of destiny.

Laava is Miyu's means of choosing how and when she dies to free herself from destiny and he's referred to as a bird, albeit a heretical one.

The only argument the show might be making that speaks to something positive is that Miyu is at least taking a little bit of control by choosing her death. It seems she also refuses to cross the river, which I'm taking to signify that she refuses to go into a land of peace by regression. In this show, both death at the end of your life and your childhood represent a land of undisturbed peace, and Miyu rejects both of them.

There's also this bit about Miyu's blood relating to her fire, and in turn her fire is related to her emotions. The birds cannot be harmed by blades, only fire. Don't know if they're trying to say something about living with passion.

"So, I'm alive today because I'm dead, is that right?" This makes no sense. Perhaps this is referring to her awakening, and how her old self figuratively died.

I think the lyrics to the ending song provide some clues:

1. Let us prick a temari
A perfectly round temari
A warm temari
Whose? (Whose?)
Yours? (Mine?)
Mine? (Yours?)
The red world is full of temari

2. Let us prick a temari
A perfectly round what?
A lonely heart
Whose? (Whose?)
Yours? (Mine?)
Mine? (Yours?)
Perfectly round, rolly-rolly teary eyes

3. Let us prick a temari
A perfectly round what?
A precious heart
Whose? (Whose?)
Yours? (Mine?)
Mine? (Yours?)
A face fallen to dreaming of catch-the-child.

Whose? (Whose?)
Yours? (Mine?)
Mine? (Yours?)
Perfectly round, rolling
Where do you go? (I don't know)
What do you pursue? (I don't know)
What do you want? (I want eternity)

The roundness here can refer to the perfection of childhood or it can refer to the cyclical nature of life, death, and destiny. The last three lines seem to describe Yaobikuni, who didn't even know what she was living for, but still wanted immortality. There's something purposeless about something that's eternal, like an eternal yearning for something or not having anything to strive towards due to immortality. It's clear Miyu doesn't know if she wants to die or to live and she doesn't seem to care.

The question is, what prompts her to embrace life in the end?
So apparently in the OVA (according to the Wiki), Miyu's father loses all his zest for life because he attains immortality. Perhaps Miyu's line "I'm alive today because I'm dead" refers to her willingness to live because she knows she'll die eventually. Maybe that's why there are always the birds there trying to kill the guardian and can only be eliminated by flame--- she's warding off death through her fire but it is also the constant threat of death that keeps her living.

RecynonDec 25, 2020 1:01 PM
Apr 20, 11:42 PM

Dec 2022
beautifully tragic. a betrayal is forgivable if it temporarily relieves an eternity of loneliness. beautiful story of friendship

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 25 Discussion

EuphoricField - Apr 22, 2010

6 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 24 Discussion

5 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 10:56 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 23 Discussion

3 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 20, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 22 Discussion

8 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 19, 10:02 PM

Poll: » Vampire Princess Miyu Episode 21 Discussion

9 by gannoncannon55 »»
Apr 19, 8:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.