Forum Settings
Forums

Why those music snobs complained that 'the past was better'?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 13, 2010 4:13 AM
Apr 2009
indeed, perhaps music is just more heavily marketed. I think the underground is just as alive as the past, and is always renovating on that which the past has already achieved. Just listening to the brilliant compositions of groups like equilibrium (seriously, listen to their song mana... I have never heard such amazing composition and creativity) give me hope for future music... on the flip side... the over marketing of music is leading to a lack of creativity, sticking the the tried formula which earns the most money, catchy, ect.
Apr 13, 2010 5:05 AM

Sep 2008
spupapi said:
mahollo said:
I think that comparing modern music to music in the past is a completely fair comparison, that's like saying you can't compare books written now to books written in the past, of course you can they're all books. If one doesn't like the genres of music made today and does like the genres made in the 60's then how is that an unfair comparison?

As I said in my other post, you can. In past there were different genres, you can't compare it to todays music, unless some of the todays music, play the old ones, but it will not be the mainstream anymore, right?
In past the mainstream were Blues, Jazz and so on. They didn't have Hip Hop or Rap. How could you compare Jazz to Hip Hop?

It's not that hard because Hip hop evolved out of Jazz. Music can always be traced back.

Blues came out of Jazz, R&B came out of Blues, R&B became Hip Hop and Hip-hop turned into Rap. But Hip Hop also borrowed alot from Doo Wop and Gospel.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Apr 13, 2010 5:30 AM

Jun 2008
Rather than comparing some mostly, if not fully subjective comparison about music quality, let's look at what the present had presented for us that was unavailable in the past. The Internet had given all the developed countries' majority access to songs from just about everywhere. Even TV in the past hadn't shown this much diversity. In a way, the ability to find songs you like is a lot higher than before. If I like a particular niche in the music genre, all I have to do is essentially Google, find 2-3 top list charts, and start browsing from there. And if I could find songs I like much faster, that's always a good thing.

There's no point comparing mainstream songs, because social trends change all the time. In the past, just as now, artists were limited to cultural norms, experience, and whatever, that dictates what they will sing/play/etc. Oh yeah, we tend to think they're all expressing creativity and whatnot, but creativity always have to come from somewhere. And is almost always limited by something.

And this begs the question (which I started already as a topic), why do we like particular songs in the first place? The music taste is one of the most diverse areas, I think, simply due to so many (random) factors that could affect tastes. Just because a song has trashy lyric doesn't make the song terrible. Just because the song has beautiful lyric doesn't make the song good either. Of course, a song could be totally trashy while still having trashy lyrics as well. (And to nobody specifically,) to group so much variety under one assumption that trashy lyric = trashy song is as ignorant as believing music in the past was always better.
Apr 13, 2010 11:29 AM

Aug 2009
This thread is entirely subjective because I know someone thinks this music is good.

Apr 13, 2010 11:44 AM

Feb 2009
I love music no matter what generation it comes from just unfortunately music is more and more manufactured than before. A lot of 'popular' music on the radio are predestined to be popular by media companies as a means of making money but also has taken away the art in music. There is still a wide variety of music with originality and creativity out there its just not as publicized through TV and Radio but instead through the internet and word of mouth. Yes there is plenty of music I don't enjoy but to each his own. Really its based on taste and many people will ignorantly bash music as they please, but I choose to enjoy what I want no matter what people say.
Apr 13, 2010 11:49 AM

Feb 2008
Jigero said:
spupapi said:
mahollo said:
I think that comparing modern music to music in the past is a completely fair comparison, that's like saying you can't compare books written now to books written in the past, of course you can they're all books. If one doesn't like the genres of music made today and does like the genres made in the 60's then how is that an unfair comparison?

As I said in my other post, you can. In past there were different genres, you can't compare it to todays music, unless some of the todays music, play the old ones, but it will not be the mainstream anymore, right?
In past the mainstream were Blues, Jazz and so on. They didn't have Hip Hop or Rap. How could you compare Jazz to Hip Hop?

It's not that hard because Hip hop evolved out of Jazz. Music can always be traced back.

Blues came out of Jazz, R&B came out of Blues, R&B became Hip Hop and Hip-hop turned into Rap. But Hip Hop also borrowed a lot from Doo Wop and Gospel.

Yeah the music was evolving, but once it evolves, it turns out almost totally different from the one, it was evolved from. By the way, Jazz didn't come out of Blues. And Hip Hop definitely wasn't evolved from Jazz, are you deaf? The beat is totally different, pretty much a lot of things are different. Yes there are exceptions, which takes beat from Jazz and put it into Hip Hop, but todays Hip Hop has nothing to do with the Jazz from past.
Sorry, but You should get some knowledge about music, before saying it something like that. Thus there is nothing which could be trully "best". Because everyone will view it differently, than the others. Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it.
spupapiApr 13, 2010 11:55 AM
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 13, 2010 8:41 PM

Feb 2008
ridojiri said:

And did you never think, that perhaps if there is this new shit music, they won't know about the old good music?

That seems like your problem though. You don't like the music now a days. Clearly, other people do, however.

If they really wanted to know about older music, they would. Even so, that doesn't mean they'll like it. I haven't exactly heard a song before the 90s that I like or would even consider listening to. Why? Because I do not enjoy it. That's not saying there isn't one, I just haven't come across it yet.

Frankly, people need to suck it up. If you don't like the music it, ignore it. You can't do anything about it. Listen to your own music. Trying to say music now days sucks and then trying to insult someone else for their own personal taste in music accomplishes nothing since, like many other things in life, it's not objective.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Apr 14, 2010 7:46 AM

Dec 2009
Just relax & learn to respect, music taste is like race, nothing superior or inferior.

People who like to search would dig into the past to find out the prototype of each genre they like. Even the newer groups nowadays would also have their fav musician as their idol / model which are often traced back to the same old days.
And the biggest genres all started around those old days.

Newer songs often appear less creative if you know the old ones. The more old fav you store in your brain, the less likely you can accept the new (new works seems not as creative, less time to listen, etc.)
Apr 14, 2010 2:06 PM

Jul 2008
90% of the music playing on the radio I don't like so I just ignore it. There is so much music out there so u just got to do a little research to find the ones u like.
But I have to say I do like listening older music more guess I just like the sound better.

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Apr 14, 2010 2:14 PM

Aug 2009
It's true that most of today's mainstream music is trash. But there are still underground artists that produce fantastic music, even today. Crappy music finds you, so it's up to you to find the good music.
Apr 14, 2010 2:31 PM

Feb 2008
It is often, that people says that old music was better. Because in past, the musicians didn't get paid that much, as musicians today (rich, and a lot).
Today, many american corporations, is giving opportunities to people, with music talents, to shine, and become famous. But are those people, really after the music? Many of them are just after the money. Todays music became too commercial, and most of them are edited on computer, I can't even recognize, whatever they have skills or not, unless I heard them live.
In past, people didn't get money from music that much, but yet, they still played the music so well.
It is the passion towards to music.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 14, 2010 10:07 PM
Apr 15, 2010 10:29 AM

Jul 2008
spupapi said:
It is often, that people says that old music was better. Because in past, the musicians didn't get paid that much, as musicians today (rich, and a lot).
Today, many american corporations, is giving opportunities to people, with music talents, to shine, and become famous. But are those people, really after the music? Many of them are just after the money. Todays music became too commercial, and most of them are edited on computer, I can't even recognize, whatever they have skills or not, unless I heard them live.
In past, people didn't get money from music that much, but yet, they still played the music so well.
It is the passion towards to music.
True. It seems that these days it's much more important to look cool and sexy than to actually know how to sing. Looks hav become the main thing and music only comes as second. Like u said we hav computers these days u don't really need to know how to sing. It's like it is with editing photos..u can be the ugly as hell but with little touches u'll turn into something completely different. :/

I didn't want to hurt you but you're pretty when you cry. I didn't really love you but I'm pretty when I lie.

Apr 15, 2010 10:33 AM

Dec 2009
Tyestor said:
ITT: Generalizations.

And people who think they have educated opinions.
Apr 15, 2010 11:06 AM

May 2007
If we're talking about the western music, I can't blame them. Sometimes, people are sick of today's mainstream music. A lot of music today aren't original and they're just some recycled stuff with different tune and melodies. Music records just want to sell and not try to be original anymore -- so they choose talented singers and to go with their catchy intro tune where people can immediately tell what song's gonna be played 4 seconds in.

The elements that make up today's western music:
- I love you
- You love me
- We break up
- Shake that ass
- Dance and party

I can't think of anymore. There are probably 1000 songs about those 5 stuff listed.
Apr 15, 2010 1:11 PM

Apr 2008
I've got 7th row tickets to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in August and I am going to see Apples in Stereo next Saturday. Guess I'm a music snob
Apr 15, 2010 4:40 PM

Apr 2008
I have to admit, I'm guilty of upholding this opinion as well, but I do think that there is an artist or a band out there somewhere that will save the quality of today's music, but the record companies won't accept them because they think they won't make enough money with their kind of music. Do those companies really care about artistic expression? Unless they're able to churn out Top 40 hits like Lady Gaga and that Bieber kid, those new bands or artists won't make it into the mainstream and get everyone's attention, but then again, who needs Top 40 radio to get noticed when you have the Internet?
Jul 23, 2010 1:48 PM
Jul 2008
The 80's were the best.
Jul 23, 2010 1:55 PM
Jul 2008
XxdoobxX said:
They just couldn't stop dreaming how good was Elvis, Beatles, Deep Purple, Eagles and Led Zeppelin in their prime.

How could you left out Queen. Shame on you.
HellobeeJul 23, 2010 2:24 PM
Jul 23, 2010 2:37 PM

Sep 2008
Yea music it terrible today, if your only looking at what the mass media considers popular. But if you look anywhere other then that music is still really good. But that's how it's ALWAYS been, underground shit is good until the Main Stream picks it up then it turns to crap. It happened in the 40's, the 50's, the 60's, the 70's and 80's and the 90's too, nothing has changed.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jul 23, 2010 3:09 PM

Mar 2008
There are as many fantastic artists nowadays as there were decades ago. Not as readily apparent perhaps but there are great groups if you look hard enough. Just because the mainstream music of today is not what I prefer, doesn't mean everything in this age is shit.
Jul 23, 2010 4:25 PM

May 2009
Generally, people who say so know only about popular music. Most mainstream music may be garbage, but there are still good artists that aren't well known, you can find really good works on some websites and communities that promote and sell music from great artists, many of whom are independent musicians. If you want good music, you have to search for it.
Jul 23, 2010 8:54 PM

Oct 2008
I like Maroon 5, I like Judas Priest. So where are you going with this?
Jul 23, 2010 10:13 PM

Apr 2010
I know why! I know why! (Okay, only about adults at least XD)

They sad the lyrics had more meaning (Should I really find one with deep meaning?) and not "Everyone can write lyrics and melody". I'm sure that my father is not the only one who think that way.

And yes, I don't love all the new songs (Only few XD). There are some good songs from time to time... Not that I love a lot of old songs either. I geuss I'm really choosy XD

Jul 23, 2010 10:15 PM

Dec 2009
I like past and present. They're both as great/shit as each other.

Jul 23, 2010 10:23 PM

Apr 2009
Whatever its just music.
I don't care if my music is considered shit and for the most part i agree that a lot of it is.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Jul 24, 2010 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
It's more to do with genre than how old the music is.
People who like music of the past usually like classic rock, hard rock etc.
Lotsa new genres have become mainstream these days eg. rap, electronic music, pop punk

As for myself, I don't really give a shit about how old the song is, as long as it sounds good and has guitar.
CHILDREN OF BODOM FTWWWWTFWTWTFWTW LOLOLOLOL
Jul 24, 2010 7:22 AM

Jul 2009
Theres just more trash around than there used to be, it's much easier to gain popularity with mediocre/bad songs.

Still, Minimal and Alternative are some of the best genres to ever have existed and they have been around for not so long atm, who knos what the future will bring us.
(the only genre that is still amazing as it was back in it's time is Classical, just because composers spend so much time on one piece, beautiful!)
Hell.. even rachmaninoff was a composer in the 20th century and he wrote some of the best pieces.

I guess we need more bands that actually revolutionize a certain genre.
Jul 24, 2010 7:25 AM

May 2010
Soundtrack said:
Mainstream music is trash.
Jul 24, 2010 7:31 AM

Apr 2008
spupapi said:

Can you compare Jazz with Hip Hop? It'd be like comparing chocolate over rice.

If it's Acid-Jazz.
Jul 24, 2010 7:52 AM

May 2009
How is comparing music being snobby? It's a matter of opinion which you think is better.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Jul 24, 2010 7:53 AM

Apr 2009
because Thelonious Monk

Deal with it
Jul 24, 2010 8:42 AM

Oct 2007
frootbat said:
Soundtrack said:
Mainstream music is trash.

Uh huh. You're real cool ;)

life is a dream
~death is reality
Jul 24, 2010 9:06 AM
Jun 2008
Listening to J-pop
mostly from Anime since I am lazy to search every each song in the world....(out of topic)
Anyway,every one surely has their favorite song and artist. and people like to compare their current favorite song are more superior than the new one or the one which they found.....
Jul 24, 2010 9:16 AM

Jun 2008
Liking a song does not mean the song itself is better than other songs. It just means you like the song better than others. I wouldn't call the songs I listen particular better than others, since I've no criteria to judge it by. I just like it better, for whatever reasons, but it does not have to mean that the song itself is better.
Jul 24, 2010 9:48 AM
Jun 2008
Tachii said:
Liking a song does not mean the song itself is better than other songs.

Tachii said:
I just like it better, for whatever reasons, but it does not have to mean that the song itself is better.

I can't tell the difference between these two statement.
You just like it better for whatever reason it is? .For whatever reason it maybe are all related back to the song which you has listened.
You like it better but that doesn't mean the song itself is better ? 0.o
Jul 24, 2010 9:57 AM

Jun 2008
Hard to explain. Since I have no criterias to go by, as I mentioned. Like I guess a song could be catchier than another song, but that doesn't mean I'll like the catchier song. I might just like the song that's less catchy, therefore, less "better", since I usually like more catchier songs. Hmm. And this could be within the same artist and genre.
Jul 24, 2010 10:13 AM
Jun 2008
It is so confuse(took me 20minit just to figure out what are you talking just now)
....I think I will just listen to song while i feel it is "catchy"
I might just like the song that's less catchy, therefore, less "better", since I usually like more catchier songs. Hmm. And this could be within the same artist and genre.
I think I starting to get what your sentence structure are.
"I might just like the song that's less catchy since I usually like more catchier songs ~.~ ."
The meaning of the sentence is so deep that I can't even analyze anymore.
Well actually i also can't really explain why I like song anyway,I just simply give a reason just to satisfy myself.
MorningGloryJul 24, 2010 10:17 AM
Jul 24, 2010 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
Not really deep, just really confusing, since liking a song is pretty complicated, if I think about it. Normally I don't think about it, so speaking my mind on it will make it less understandable.

Anyways, I thought of something else. There's also the issue of how much times I've heard it. A song I'd say was the greatest after a few hundred times of listening, while still remain great, it becomes less liked since something else came along, not that it's better than the old song, but just the new feeling it brings. So I guess I can say it's "better" since it's newer, but it's not "better" since it's less addictive than what I felt when I was listening to the old song. But currently, I like the new song more since obviously I listen to it more often. It's complicated, since that's just one reason why I might like a song that itself might not be necessarily better than others, but I like it more (at the current time).
Jul 24, 2010 10:26 AM
Jun 2008
Now your current statement makes a bit more sense....
"So I guess I can say it's "better" since it's newer, but it's not "better" since it's less addictive than what I felt when I was listening to the old song."
So you categorize your liking into "addictive" and "better"?
Jul 24, 2010 10:29 AM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
spupapi said:

If it's Acid-Jazz.

"My genre is better than yours" is the worst kind of music elitism.
Jul 24, 2010 10:35 AM

Jun 2008
Everyone thinks their generation is the best.

Its human nature to think that their own shit don't stank

If you know what i mean.
Jul 24, 2010 10:37 AM

Jun 2008
MorningGlory said:
Now your current statement makes a bit more sense....
"So I guess I can say it's "better" since it's newer, but it's not "better" since it's less addictive than what I felt when I was listening to the old song."
So you categorize your liking into "addictive" and "better"?
I've no idea anymore. I think I'll just go listening to some songs and play some games after. lol
Jul 24, 2010 3:14 PM

Jun 2010
Pop music was better, the people who say that don't really know much about music, they just know a bunch of generic artist like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. and have a good amount of greatest hits albums. Most of the ones I met are too lazy to find good music and want the radio to find it for them, so when the radio goes down in quality, they say bullshit like that.
Jul 24, 2010 3:38 PM

Jun 2010
Sohei said:
spupapi said:

If it's Acid-Jazz.

Or you know if it's a song that features Rapping and Jazz instruments, I might just be crazy enough to compare the two!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mnbOb608HI And I could also have some originality and not think of all Hip Hop as just Lil Wayne because I'm too lazy to actually research Hip Hop and listen to Hip Hop songs that aren't played on the radio! But that's just me...
Jul 24, 2010 4:14 PM

Feb 2010
all I have to say is baby baby baby oh baby

who givs a shit what ppl listens to,
the artists are maken the music andthe money
and that's what ppl want and there will be plenty of it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 24, 2010 4:53 PM
Jun 2010
I gave up on mainstream music quite awhile ago. I used to somewhat enjoy it, but as time continued, lyrics became impossible to understand and the beat was pretty boring. I have to admit, my sort of music is from the early 00's, 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, even the 20's and classical music in general. I just cannot bare listening to this strange new hip-hop that people seem to enjoy so much.

I really don't care what people listen to, but if I'm around, don't expect that sort of crap. I mean hell, I listen to Japanese music along with oldies most of the time. For some reason, the beats of many of the songs remind me of the stuff from the 80s. And even then, I still prefer 80's/90's Japanese music in general (I don't know how many times I've listened to things like L-Gaim's Kaze no no Reply).

But to be frank, it's many things that I prefer the older stuff of. Even anime, I'll still have more enjoyment out of the classical stuff over the newer stuff. Same with American television; I absolutely love stuff like Sanford and Son.

I suppose living with grandparents and a father who loves the stuff beyond his time is where I found my taste for things. But I've even attempted to try the new stuff. Cartoons, television series, everything; and I cannot relate to it, not even close. Even stuff like Family Guy or South Park are just boring to me. I'm also disappointed that there is no longer any science on the Discovery channel or history on the History channel. :\ Oh how I miss the old days. But no point of dwelling upon that fact. People seem to enjoy the stuff they watch on TV these days, I just wish I lived in a time I could have felt like I related to other people who enjoyed mainstream stuff. U_U
Jul 24, 2010 5:00 PM
Jul 2010
cncfan said:
New rap music is no where near as great as old rap music. Back then everyone had their own style but now everyone is the same with auto tune trash.

Truth....
Jul 24, 2010 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
i wouldn't consider myself a music snob, but i don't think you can understand current music scenes without knowing about music of different generations, whether the artists are sampling/paying homage to/aligning themselves with or deviating from artists or genres.

i guess older music tends to be thought of as "better" because it was considered more groundbreaking and innovative. now it's a lot more difficult to get noticed and do something that hasn't been done or do it as well as the geniuses that have come before. it's really the same with all art.
removed-userJul 24, 2010 5:23 PM
Jul 24, 2010 5:35 PM

Apr 2008
Old music is considered good by some because they only pick the good songs.

Your average pop music in the 60's was just as shit as now, it's just that no one remembers it.

Just like no one will remember Soulja Boy in 20 years.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.