Forum Settings
Forums

Why those music snobs complained that 'the past was better'?

New
Apr 12, 2010 7:08 AM

Oct 2009
One of the worst trend in music today the comparison between the past and present. Those music snobs just couldn't stop telling us how the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's was better than today.

Of course it was better back then because some genres like crunkcore, emo and rap(I may wrong on this one) was not yet invented so it is unfair to compare the past and present. They just couldn't stop dreaming how good was Elvis, Beatles, Deep Purple, Eagles and Led Zeppelin in their prime.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of pop either. I just annoyed some of the music snobs comparing past to present, which is unfair.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 12, 2010 7:12 AM

Feb 2008
It's their own opinion. I personally preffer the music in past to the modern music, but I cannot say it is better.
In past, there were totally different genres, and you can't compare them to each other.
Can you compare Jazz with Hip Hop? It'd be like comparing chocolate over rice.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 12, 2010 7:19 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe it's because I don't have a taste for shit music, but I can't think of one good artist to come out of this point in time. Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, The Black Eyed Peas, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, and every other "artist" singing about getting it on in the club, getting the girl, losing a girl, partying and all that junk doesn't make good music imo. I'm not shunning anyone for what they listen to, but everything out there is basically terrible R&B, fake rap, shallow pop, generic hard rock and whiny emo trash. I'm sure there's a good artist out there somewhere, but I haven't heard em yet.
Apr 12, 2010 7:21 AM

Mar 2009
There is good modern music, but none of it gets any airtime. Which is why the internet is a glorious thing.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/top/listen
rTzApr 12, 2010 7:28 AM
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 12, 2010 7:32 AM

Aug 2008
Plenty of good modern music. Mostly stuff from obscure artists and from soundtracks, though.
Apr 12, 2010 7:45 AM

Oct 2008
I love modern music and music of the past (80s rock especially) a lot. But recently there are kids who pretend to sing/do music and they just can't.
Apr 12, 2010 7:49 AM

May 2008
Nowadays, much of mainstream music is being made out of cliche patterns just for money. Market and trends are being analyzed and hits are produced, the artist is often just a puppet doing what he's told.

But there's a lot of great modern music, I certainly listen more to the 90+ than the 'old classics'.

Apr 12, 2010 7:55 AM

Apr 2009
A good chunk of the old classics were made by skilled musicians who were rebelling against the classical forms of music, while incorperating some it's strengths into their own stuff. The current generation of musicians are imitators who grew up on that stuff and are at best tweaking their presentation here and there.

Heh heh, ok I don't actually know anything. I just wanted to get in on the complaining too.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Apr 12, 2010 8:02 AM

Feb 2005
rTz said:
There is good modern music, but none of it gets any airtime.
This. And there were bad artists in the past too, they just aren't remembered.
Of course, there's likely more bad "artists" today, if not in percentage then at least in actual number, but that's because we have countless companies drawing in talentless fool from everywhere in order to churn out cheap generic music to earn quick money.
Apr 12, 2010 8:12 AM

Nov 2009
New rap music is no where near as great as old rap music. Back then everyone had their own style but now everyone is the same with auto tune trash.
cncfanApr 12, 2010 8:18 AM
Apr 12, 2010 8:12 AM

Jul 2009
I'm a music snob, and I certainly do not think this... But yes, lots of people do. They just have terrible taste in old, crappy music. Not that all old music is terrible, but the kind of old music these "old music snobs" are talking about is terrible. heh.

Yeah, this is coming from the guy who listens to indie and screamo.
Every time I see an English-speaker on the Internet add an honorific to someone's name, I die a little bit inside. Every time I see, "^_^," my will to carry on crumbles that much more.
Apr 12, 2010 8:49 AM

Oct 2009
All music new or old each have there good and bad songs.
Apr 12, 2010 8:53 AM

Jun 2008
I don't really care for modern music that much. It was decent up until the mid 90's or so. Now, you don't even really need to have talent to become a singer. They can pretty much sync anything to someone's words, to where all they have to do is really just talk. Not saying that there isn't any good music being made today, but it's far and few in my opinion. I prefer a lot of the past golden oldies, you can tell the music writing and harmony was really organic and well thought out back then.
Apr 12, 2010 9:07 AM

Jun 2008
Mujina said:
Maybe it's because I don't have a taste for shit music, but I can't think of one good artist to come out of this point in time. Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga, The Black Eyed Peas, Justin Bieber, Ke$ha, and every other "artist" singing about getting it on in the club, getting the girl, losing a girl, partying and all that junk doesn't make good music imo. I'm not shunning anyone for what they listen to, but everything out there is basically terrible R&B, fake rap, shallow pop, generic hard rock and whiny emo trash. I'm sure there's a good artist out there somewhere, but I haven't heard em yet.

You do realize you just basically named the most popular pop R&B shit that have the most marketing promotion. If you don't like those their are thousands of artist and songs out there from many countries.
But even among those popular ones you can still find one or two songs that is nice to hear.

I think there good songs now and back then but today is always better because we simply have all the music of the past and now. Why will some Elvis fan complain? He can still hear his songs today.
Apr 12, 2010 9:15 AM

Oct 2008
Monad said:
You do realize you just basically named the most popular pop R&B shit that have the most marketing promotion.

No kidding...

Monad said:
If you don't like those their are thousands of artist and songs out there from many countries. But even among those popular ones you can still find one or two songs that is nice to hear.

Mujina said:
I'm sure there's a good artist out there somewhere, but I haven't heard em yet.
Apr 12, 2010 9:35 AM

Aug 2009
According to OP I'm a music snob. It's not my fault music today is shit.
Apr 12, 2010 9:42 AM

Jun 2008
Mujina said:

Monad said:
If you don't like those their are thousands of artist and songs out there from many countries. But even among those popular ones you can still find one or two songs that is nice to hear.

Mujina said:

Sorry but that's stupid. You don't live in the cave man age. It's 2010. What the hell does it mean you haven't heard of them yet? Is your hand too tired to type on Google? Are your feet to heavy to enter that music store you pass every now and then?
It's more like you don't want to hear them.
Apr 12, 2010 9:55 AM

Oct 2008
Monad said:
Sorry but that's stupid. You don't live in the cave man age. It's 2010. What the hell does it mean you haven't heard of them yet? Is your hand too tired to type on Google? Are your feet to heavy to enter that music store you pass every now and then?

First of all, I don't go to the music store. I steal my shit and if it sounds good, then I go buy it. Second

Mujina said:

As in I haven't heard anyone I like yet. Was that hard to figure out?
Apr 12, 2010 10:08 AM

Jun 2008
Mujina said:
Monad said:

First of all, I don't go to the music store. I steal my shit and if it sounds good, then I go buy it. Second

Mujina said:

As in I haven't heard anyone I like yet. Was that hard to figure out?

How nice of you do ignore the google comment.
And of course you haven't heard anyone you like. The fucking artist won't come and start singing by your window.

It's like me saying i never searched for anime, i don't visit sites like MAL i don't even check DVD stores but i haven't seen any good anime. Well no shit!!! The birds aren't going to start shitting anime DVD's while i walk just because i need it to fall magically in my hands.
Apr 12, 2010 10:17 AM

Oct 2008
Monad said:
How nice of you do ignore the google comment.
And of course you haven't heard anyone you like. The fucking artist won't come and start singing by your window.

I do search for artists online. How else would I fucking find them other then listening to the radio? (ha) And I'm not ignoring it, I figured you'd get it when I said "As in I haven't heard anyone I like yet." FFS.
Apr 12, 2010 10:23 AM

Apr 2008
My dearest user, the best music was written 110 years ago, and chances are you have never heard of it.

Apr 12, 2010 11:59 AM

Jul 2009
MisterSaito said:
My dearest user, the best music was written 110 years ago, and chances are you have never heard of it.

No the best music will be made 110 years from now. DUH. Errrrrrrrrbody knows that.
Apr 12, 2010 12:05 PM

Aug 2009
Four words:

Soulja. Boy. Tell. 'Em.
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Apr 12, 2010 12:08 PM

Jan 2008
I gotta agree about the topic here, because I also get annoyed when people say 'today's music is shit' because they don't know wtf they are talking about. All they see is what's in the mainstream charts and of course that's going to be shit. I've listened to so much amazing mind-boggling music in the last ten years, every year tons of unique music is released but you just have to have an open mind and a genuine passion for music to find it.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 12, 2010 12:10 PM
Mar 2009
The worst trend going is the auto tune voice.
Apr 12, 2010 12:24 PM

Nov 2007
MisterSaito said:
it also used exactly 110 different words, iirc.

but really, the reason that people think that music is crap nowadays is because there's a lot more access to all kinds of music, a lot more than there was even a few years ago. nowadays, ANYONE can make a song, upload it to youtube, and get immediate exposure and fame (tay zonday anyone?) this means that a lot of music that probably would have never been approved by a record company is getting to our ears, which can be good but also bad.

anyway, a lot of the mainstream music has really gone to shit, what with talentless people getting a string of hits just because they're attractive, they have money and connections that will dress up their no talent voices, or because they sing about drugs, alcohol, and women. in cases like these, you have to just ignore the hyped up shit and look for music that still resembles music.
Apr 12, 2010 12:27 PM

Oct 2008
Beatnik said:
I've listened to so much amazing mind-boggling music in the last ten years, every year tons of unique music is released but you just have to have an open mind and a genuine passion for music to find it.

Care to share your findings? I'm all for listening to something brand new that isn't already an established act from the past that's just putting out new stuff.
Apr 12, 2010 12:29 PM
Feb 2010
I guess I'm a music snob then. Well not really. I'm not a big music listener but my favourite music is from the 20th Century (or earlier, i love classical), but I look down on people who listen to music from Metro Station, Rihanna, Britney Spears, the like.
Apr 12, 2010 12:42 PM

Mar 2009
Personally, I think that almost everything the music industry has offered us from the 90s and up, is total shit. Only a few exceptions here and there and far between. I think the music from all the previous decades but more from 50s, 60s and 70s and to a very lesser extent the 80s too, is the best so far.

I think that bands like Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and others as such, are the best that's ever been and the numerous popular bands of today can't even hope to dream of being as good as them. Actually, I think today's music and bands, is actually the worst ever since men started recording music.

That's what I think, that is my opinion, this is what I like and dislike in music and its history. And ofcourse, I don't expect others to agree with me and I don't look down on them for liking the music of today.

I listen to what I like and I won't try to convince others to like it too, when they don't. They'll probably find it too boring or not hot or heavy enough or whatever it is that they find good in music today. Well, whatever. I keep my opinions to myself but if I asked, I will gladly say that music of today is shit.

Does that make me a snob? Yes? Well, good! :D
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Apr 12, 2010 12:48 PM

Apr 2008
I will say though, that Justin Bieber is the best thing that has happened to music in 50 or 60 years.

Apr 12, 2010 12:49 PM

Nov 2007
MisterSaito said:
I will say though, that Justin Bieber is the best thing that has happened to music in 50 or 60 years.
BIEBER FEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(I must live under a rock, I had no idea who the hell justin bieber was until kitt showed me, orz)
Apr 12, 2010 12:51 PM

May 2008
But the music from the past was better. If I want to listen to real music then I'd log into my last.fm instead of tuning into the shitty ear rape on the radio. What's sad is that it's impossible for me to just not listen to the "current popular music" as it is played everywhere, including my job.
Apr 12, 2010 1:00 PM

Sep 2008
Well I am noticing I'm listening to less and less music nowadays, I rarely listen to anything out side of anime, Jrock and game OSTs anymore. Disturbed is about the only band I listen too that I get excited when they put out a new CD.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Apr 12, 2010 1:01 PM

Feb 2008
Eh, I don't like too much playing on the radio, but I do like many that aren't. I pretty much don't like rap. I have yet to find a song I like, nor do I really try, it's not a genre I really want to hear.

My main focus is in pop-punk because it's what I like. Many of the songs I listen are from 2000-2006 though as well. I have some songs from the past few years, such as the Homesick album by A Day to Remember.

Never really liked anything from the 80s and before. I couldn't get into it. The Beetles, just not the sound I like. AC/DC and the like, Most of their lead singers, in my opinion, have absolute horrid voices that make me want to kill myself.

In the end, I listen to what I think sounds good. Not what anyone else says sounds good. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, then I don't. It's as simple as that. Other people's opinions on music do not matter to me since my tastes are different.

L2 Search - http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/236/3/9/L2_Search_by_Siya_Akuma.jpg
We're all getting trolled by Mayans. They probably thought "Fuck this shit, let's end the calendar and say shit's gonna go down."
Apr 12, 2010 1:32 PM

Dec 2009
I think that comparing modern music to music in the past is a completely fair comparison, that's like saying you can't compare books written now to books written in the past, of course you can they're all books. If one doesn't like the genres of music made today and does like the genres made in the 60's then how is that an unfair comparison?
Apr 12, 2010 1:51 PM

Apr 2010
Mujina said:
Apr 12, 2010 2:14 PM

Feb 2008
mahollo said:
I think that comparing modern music to music in the past is a completely fair comparison, that's like saying you can't compare books written now to books written in the past, of course you can they're all books. If one doesn't like the genres of music made today and does like the genres made in the 60's then how is that an unfair comparison?

As I said in my other post, you can. In past there were different genres, you can't compare it to todays music, unless some of the todays music, play the old ones, but it will not be the mainstream anymore, right?
In past the mainstream were Blues, Jazz and so on. They didn't have Hip Hop or Rap. How could you compare Jazz to Hip Hop?
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Apr 12, 2010 2:20 PM

Apr 2010
That's just their preference, I guess. I mostly like stuff from the 90's and early 2000's, but that's because I grew up listening to that music, and it's nice to hear some days.

Really, I don't think any decade is better than the others. I would say it's arrogant to say that earlier decades are better, but I can't really blame people that think that. There's a lot of music out there, and I wouldn't want to look through everything. I'd rather look through music I know I'll like.

Apr 12, 2010 2:59 PM

Jun 2008
MisterSaito said:
THIS! I love him so much, he's really great.

But comparing music to now from the past shouldn't be done! Music will change and evolve, do this and that, people can always just stick to their music preference. Does no one any harm!:)
Apr 12, 2010 2:59 PM

Nov 2009
Mujina said:

Exactly.
Apr 12, 2010 4:05 PM

Dec 2008
:|
Apr 12, 2010 5:19 PM

Mar 2009
People have opinions and like to make comparisons.

In my opinion, there were good music back then and there also is good music now. It just depends on your preference. Personally though, I find most of the contemporary music these days to be a fucking pile of crap due to the lyrics. Singing about getting drunk, getting high...
Apr 12, 2010 7:50 PM

Jun 2009
90% of mainstream i hear today is crap.
Apr 12, 2010 9:04 PM

Mar 2009
Needs moire scissor sisters
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 12, 2010 9:40 PM

Mar 2010
Most people who claim older music is better only pay attention to mainstream artists. Obviously the crap they play on the radio isn't groundbreaking, it's on the radio because any idiot can wrap their head around it. There's some pretty amazing music out there if you're willing to give it a chance.

AlexSadist-sama said:
People have opinions and like to make comparisons.

In my opinion, there were good music back then and there also is good music now. It just depends on your preference. Personally though, I find most of the contemporary music these days to be a fucking pile of crap due to the lyrics. Singing about getting drunk, getting high...

Funny, I feel the same way about a lot of music from the 80's. Lyrics about getting high and drunk never appealed to me.
Apr 12, 2010 10:03 PM

Mar 2009
To be fair there are a lot of musical trends that reach a peak at a certain time, and never truly come back. Someone who REALLY likes lates 80's/early 90's chicago post-industrial is going to be pretty biased for instance, as is someone who really likes 70s-80s punk, or goth rock from the 80's
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Apr 12, 2010 10:30 PM

Aug 2009
XxdoobxX said:
One of the worst trend in music today the comparison between the past and present. Those music snobs just couldn't stop telling us how the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's was better than today.

Of course it was better back then because some genres like crunkcore, emo and rap(I may wrong on this one) was not yet invented so it is unfair to compare the past and present. They just couldn't stop dreaming how good was Elvis, Beatles, Deep Purple, Eagles and Led Zeppelin in their prime.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of pop either. I just annoyed some of the music snobs comparing past to present, which is unfair.

I think mostly its just a preference and the fact to some people certain genres just sound absolutely horrible or just sound like noise to a lot of people.
Apr 12, 2010 10:35 PM

Feb 2008
Anyone who thinks all music today sucks isn't looking hard enough. It's a given that about 80-90% of what you hear on the radio is commercial crap, it's been that way for a long time, and it's still probably going to take a while before that changes, unfortunately. Personally I believe some of the best music around came out after 2000.

Case in point:

If anyone is having trouble finding something different from the usual radio trash, here's a good place to start. Finding out who did any trailer/soundtrack music you might have liked is also a great way to discover new artists.
Apr 12, 2010 10:40 PM

Jan 2010
TropicalPants said:
No the best music will be made 110 years from now. DUH. Errrrrrrrrbody knows that.

No. The best music is the current mainstream 50 years from now because admiring classics makes one an elitist.

I feel for the OP. I enjoy listening to both old and new songs as long as they suit my preferred genres. And I admit I don't like pop music either but I don't see a need to keep on bashing them and comparing them to old music.
Apr 12, 2010 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
In my experience, it's rare for people to like any music newer than the stuff they listened to in high school.

For people who're stuck on finding new music, in case you haven't tried this one already, give Pandora something you like and let it run for a while. You might be surprised.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.