Forum Settings
Forums

Japan is No Longer A Leader In Animation!!!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 31, 2021 4:23 AM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
ColourWheel said:
This is a country that has literally been culturally appropriating things outside of it's own country for millenniums. Most countries around the world have started to refuse to do any trading with them.
Oops, I missed this. This particularly tells me you probably think the Confederacy wasn't about slavery, because if you think China has been appropriating things for a millennium, then you are sorely lacking in your world history, and blindly trusting of the Western colonialist mindset. In reality, China (and Japan) didn't start appropriating Western cultures until it was forced upon them by the people who saw Asian traditions as savage. You really think the West never appropriated anything? Let me remind you: Gunpowder? Algebra? Horse-riding? The composite bow?

Oops, Almost I missed this....

This particularly post tells me you have nothing to add other than specifically try to insult and antagonize me. Yet all you have done here is deflect and completely try to change the subject. But I am not going to argue with you here. Just go ahead and believe what you want to believe.

Regardless of how pointless this was to simply reply just to this one statement out of complete context. The statement you have quoted me on still remains true... and the irony is you didn't even attempt to try rebut it.

The fact remains that very few countries want to trade with China and that list has only been shrinking over the past decade. Their production quality of donghua won't even matter when countries all over the world want nothing to do with anything being exported from there.
ColourWheelDec 31, 2021 4:45 AM
Dec 31, 2021 4:42 AM

Jul 2013
With money on China's side, the irresponsible consumer's karma, I wouldn't be surprised if the communists could adapt Japanese media into clay animation, kinda like James and The Giant Peach.

Clay animation is something that the famous Shitflix, I mean Netflix can't do because they're broke.
Kurt_IrvingDec 31, 2021 4:47 AM
Dec 31, 2021 5:01 AM

Feb 2021
i really laughing so hard after watching all the replay now i understand there are so many bullshit who is watching anime without any taste and talk about Chinese anime they only know limited Chinese anime not even limited but only two king avatar and link click well i think china already making much better than japan i am starting watching anime from 2019 and everyone know every new watcher start watch anime from naruto or dragon ball z and little bit of because of your name and going to 2020 its started very difficult to find good action with romance anime thats why i really start hating anime and its already 1.5 years i have watching Chinese anime or you can say donghua and i like donghua more than japanese anime because they give me what i want[storyline'characterdevelopment'romance'cultivation] but i dont say that this is your fault to not watching chinise anime because i think you dont like Chinese but if anyone want recommendation from me you can msg me anytime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2021 5:02 AM

Feb 2021
ToG25thBaam said:
I won't lie, I am more fond towards Chinese anime these days, even those animated in 3DCG. I prefer their style of animation, reminds me a lot of Japanese animation in the past before they stopped caring about making good anime and started being more of a businessman like Tomino mentioned. Most Japanese anime today are more about promoting the original source (which I don't read most of the time) rather than one that's great.

I also like wuxia stories more than I like isekai.
ya boi finally find mybrother who like chinise anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2021 5:04 AM

Feb 2021
Madao_Taizo said:
link click is good but its not a masterpeice, most of the chinese animations are just hot trash!!
Just ignore this old man
watch soul land this anime will open your blurry eyes that notopen because of watching japanese anime
Dec 31, 2021 5:14 AM

Jun 2020
007sahil said:
Madao_Taizo said:
link click is good but its not a masterpeice, most of the chinese animations are just hot trash!!
Just ignore this old man
watch soul land this anime will open your blurry eyes that notopen because of watching japanese anime
I would rather have a blurry eye than having a blind eye like you.
Dec 31, 2021 5:46 AM

Feb 2021
Madao_Taizo said:
007sahil said:
I would rather have a blurry eye than having a blind eye like you.
really then i am happy with blindeye atleast i donthave to watch the japanese anime bullshit bro i really dont in the the mood of fight i can recommend you 1 chinise donghua that consist only 20 episode and then give your decision who is better if you waant recommendation then reply i dont saying that i dont like japanese anime i am just saying that they really stop making good anime like dragon ball ;naruto;gintama;hellsing they are just making bull shit of us
Dec 31, 2021 6:35 AM

Oct 2010
Why are there so many posts here using Tomino's statements, which are completely unrelated to quality and taste, to justify their own taste? Whether you like shows or not is not going to factor in Chinese animation taking over Japanese animation, stop thinking so highly of yourselves.
Dec 31, 2021 10:48 AM

Jul 2021
Liebely said:
Man, this guy is too fucking old. Grandpa is out of his mind. Doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah, Gramps, whatever you say, now go back to bed or doing old people stuff whatever. Nobody cares!

_spoon_ said:
i have high hopes as link click was very well animated

imo japan was not the leader in animation clone wars s7 looks better than anything japan has produced

Lmao. Violet Evargarden beats this ugly CGI shit out of the water mate. You are just like Gramps Tomino.
??? your joking or haven't even watched the clone wars

Dec 31, 2021 10:49 AM

Mar 2021
jal90 said:
Why are there so many posts here using Tomino's statements, which are completely unrelated to quality and taste, to justify their own taste? Whether you like shows or not is not going to factor in Chinese animation taking over Japanese animation, stop thinking so highly of yourselves.

The Irony is not a single Animation title that is strictly produced in China is actually popular enough in their own country. Japanese Anime is still far more popular in China then donghua according to multiple sources with rating systems that include both Chinese and Japanese Animation ranked together.

Even MAL doesn't have a single Chinese donghua placed in it's top rankings even when looking at all time titles or even current releases. This is being generous when you can virtually have less then 500 users on here that participate in the scoring of any particular title to make it jump to the top seeming like it's something it's not.

As an example you got a title like "Doupo Cangqiong: San Nian Zhi Yue" which it's statistics are completely skewed placing it in the top 10 titles currently airing with less than 1,000 users on MAL actually watching this title.
ColourWheelDec 31, 2021 10:53 AM
Dec 31, 2021 10:53 AM

Jul 2020
@ColourWheel
Even MAL doesn't have a single Chinese donghua placed in it's top rankings

Link click and Mo dao zu shi would like to have a word with you.
Even though these two are the only Chinese doungha placed in top 50, that's still a huge feat accomplished by Chinese Animation. They are slow, but they are surely getting to the mainstream.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 31, 2021 10:59 AM

Mar 2021
Scordolo said:
@ColourWheel
Even MAL doesn't have a single Chinese donghua placed in it's top rankings

Link click and Mo dao zu shi would like to have a word with you.
Even though these two are the only Chinese doungha placed in top 50, that's still a huge feat accomplished by Chinese Animation. They are slow, but they are surely getting to the mainstream.

This just shows you how flawed the ranking system is on MAL when you can have less then 50,000 users on here make any title jump in the ranks at all over titles that have over 5 to 10 times the popularity.
Dec 31, 2021 11:17 AM

Apr 2015
ColourWheel said:
@Katsucats

You want to know why Anime studios like "Manglobe" went bankrupt?

I don't have any proof but I do have my suspicions....

About a little over a decade ago I ordered online a few anime DVD sets without checking precisely what I was ordering at the time. One of which was the complete box set of the series "Samurai Champloo". Once I got it in the mail I noticed something fishy about it because it was something completely different then what was being advertised when I ordered it online. The cover art was not the same and the inlays in the DVD cases were completely non-existent. Yet I still got the entire series in DVD quality. The only noticeable difference was oddly the series had additional subtitles in Mandarin. At this point I realized I was conned into buying a counterfeit copy of the series that was obviously professionally produced in China.

It ends up, China has been doing stuff like this for decades.

Coincidentally "Manglobe" happens to be the very studio that produced "Samurai Champloo".

It's because of stuff like this why China is probably never going to be any leader in Animation. This is a country that has literally been culturally appropriating things outside of it's own country for millenniums. Most countries around the world have started to refuse to do any trading with them.
This argument doesn't make much sense. If you are arguing that the fact bootlegs exist thus people don't buy the official release, wouldn't the same applied to ya know pirating. In the 80's people rented bootleg vhs of anime in USA, but it hasn't stopped anime getting official release there. Also anime isn't the only one that has bootlegs made of, plenty of live action movies have bootlegs from some country of origin. Often the reason why animation studios in Japan go bankrupt lays on other things. It has been a thing for a while where animation studio declares bankruptcy and some time goes on and one or group of the workers from that studio start a new one.

Unless you're arguing about something else.
Dec 31, 2021 11:20 AM

Mar 2021
konkelo said:
ColourWheel said:
@Katsucats

You want to know why Anime studios like "Manglobe" went bankrupt?

I don't have any proof but I do have my suspicions....

About a little over a decade ago I ordered online a few anime DVD sets without checking precisely what I was ordering at the time. One of which was the complete box set of the series "Samurai Champloo". Once I got it in the mail I noticed something fishy about it because it was something completely different then what was being advertised when I ordered it online. The cover art was not the same and the inlays in the DVD cases were completely non-existent. Yet I still got the entire series in DVD quality. The only noticeable difference was oddly the series had additional subtitles in Mandarin. At this point I realized I was conned into buying a counterfeit copy of the series that was obviously professionally produced in China.

It ends up, China has been doing stuff like this for decades.

Coincidentally "Manglobe" happens to be the very studio that produced "Samurai Champloo".

It's because of stuff like this why China is probably never going to be any leader in Animation. This is a country that has literally been culturally appropriating things outside of it's own country for millenniums. Most countries around the world have started to refuse to do any trading with them.
This argument doesn't make much sense. If you are arguing that the fact bootlegs exist thus people don't buy the official release, wouldn't the same applied to ya know pirating. In the 80's people rented bootleg vhs of anime in USA, but it hasn't stopped anime getting official release there. Also anime isn't the only one that has bootlegs made of, plenty of live action movies have bootlegs from some country of origin. Often the reason why animation studios in Japan go bankrupt lays on other things. It has been a thing for a while where animation studio declares bankruptcy and some time goes on and one or group of the workers from that studio start a new one.

If you would have taken the time to read a previous rebuttal from someone commenting on what you are quoting me on now you would get a better context what I was getting at so I will just post it again for you to read.

ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
Sorry, but rants like these have to be laughably xenophobic propaganda, and it's a shame so many people fall into this trap. And it's very easy to debunk -- what exactly does the fact that some Chinese fansubber sold you a bootlegged DVD over eBay have to do with the quality of donghua production? That's a big fat nothing.

You're suggesting that Manglobe folded because of pirated works, which is ridiculous on face value. Why do you think Asian media (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, etc.) have all adopted a premium limited edition run model to sell to hardcore fans? The best defense for piracy is built into the system.

Nor is Manglobe somehow an outlier target of piracy to the exclusion of literally every other studio in Japan that's not bankrupt.

The real reason these studios fold and will fold probably has more to do with the attitudes of people like you who sit in a moral high seat and think the industry is untouchable... until it is not.

1st of all it wasn't some "fansubber" bootleg, it was a professional copy with a serial number that I eventually found linking back to a Chinese manufacturer company that was later known for counterfeiting DVD sets and then selling them in bulk to anyone willing to buy. There was a guy named "Fort Myers" who was found guilty of selling these counterfeit DVDs in the U.S. and it all linked back to China. Apparently he had some site called WipeoutDVDs.com

Now you might wonder what this has to do with the quality of donghua production?

You are missing the point of a bigger picture. The Chinese government doesn't care about cracking down on protecting foreign intellectual property. Cultural appropriation is relatively a new concept to them because they have never thought about it like the rest of the world has until recently. They literally have been doing this for millenniums but since the victors of war write the history books we just all assume all things culturally Chinese originated there.

China cares more about the price of products whether it's counterfeit or not. Chinese theft of American intellectual property alone has been estimated around $225 billion and $600 billion every year. Giving you that small example of how this could have effected "Manglobe" well over a decade ago is not completely out of reach when their Government is letting bootlegs being produced on a massive scale legally leaving their country to be sold off as legit authentic products.

Piracy is a completely different realm and every industry in the entertainment medium already accounts for this, but they don't account for what is practically state sponsored counterfeit production of foreign goods when their country doesn't do anything about it.

This is not xenophobic propaganda either it's actually more truthful than maybe you wish to believe.

Now you ask why they have premium limited edition run model to sell to hardcore fans? It's because there is not enough demand for them in the 1st place to be produced on a massive scale. This has nothing to do with defense for piracy. This type of logic is more laughably than you basically calling out my post as a xenophobic rant.

The reason why the Japanese Anime industry is untouchable because anything else that is trying to replace it is just a cheap copy like a Chinese fansubber bootlegged DVD you can get over eBay when they are advertising it as the real deal.

In the end the quality of donghua production is basically not going to matter.

Like I have stated before for decades all entertainment mediums have been taking into account for piracy well before the internet even existed. But what China has been doing is beyond just simple piracy. They are taking actual intellectual Property and counterfeiting on a mass scale making it seem as legit as the real thing. Since the Chinese Government doesn't do anything about this and basically looks the other way Countries around the world have completely halted on trading with this country. All the while China goes above and beyond protecting it's own domestic IP.

Unless China reforms and starts doing something about this, it's highly unlikely anything they produce will become mainstream because no one will want to have anything to do with their country in the 1st place no matter how good their animation is getting.

To give you better context here is a link you should check out to see what I am talking about....

https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/tcp/2019/06/25/counterfeit-bootleg-dvd-box-sets

Literally it's almost hard to tell which is real and which is counterfeit.
ColourWheelDec 31, 2021 11:34 AM
Dec 31, 2021 11:33 AM

Apr 2015
ColourWheel said:
konkelo said:

If you would have taken the time to read a previous rebuttal from someone commenting on what you are quoting me on now you would get a better context what I was getting at so I will just post it again for you to read.

ColourWheel said:

1st of all it wasn't some "fansubber" bootleg, it was a professional copy with a serial number that I eventually found linking back to a Chinese manufacturer company that was later known for counterfeiting DVD sets and then selling them in bulk to anyone willing to buy. There was a guy named "Fort Myers" who was found guilty of selling these counterfeit DVDs in the U.S. and it all linked back to China. Apparently he had some site called WipeoutDVDs.com

Now you might wonder what this has to do with the quality of donghua production?

You are missing the point of a bigger picture. The Chinese government doesn't care about cracking down on protecting foreign intellectual property. Cultural appropriation is relatively a new concept to them because they have never thought about it like the rest of the world has until recently. They literally have been doing this for millenniums but since the victors of war write the history books we just all assume all things culturally Chinese originated there.

China cares more about the price of products whether it's counterfeit or not. Chinese theft of American intellectual property alone has been estimated around $225 billion and $600 billion every year. Giving you that small example of how this could have effected "Manglobe" well over a decade ago is not completely out of reach when their Government is letting bootlegs being produced on a massive scale legally leaving their country to be sold off as legit authentic products.

Piracy is a completely different realm and every industry in the entertainment medium already accounts for this, but they don't account for what is practically state sponsored counterfeit production of foreign goods when their country doesn't do anything about it.

This is not xenophobic propaganda either it's actually more truthful than maybe you wish to believe.

Now you ask why they have premium limited edition run model to sell to hardcore fans? It's because there is not enough demand for them in the 1st place to be produced on a massive scale. This has nothing to do with defense for piracy. This type of logic is more laughably than you basically calling out my post as a xenophobic rant.

The reason why the Japanese Anime industry is untouchable because anything else that is trying to replace it is just a cheap copy like a Chinese fansubber bootlegged DVD you can get over eBay when they are advertising it as the real deal.

In the end the quality of donghua production is basically not going to matter.
I did read it but again the official looking bootlegs are also done of live action movies by China, Nigeria, Russia, Italy, USA etc. Studios aren't going bankrupt over them what I know of. The market of bootleg release are an industry sure, but it being government supported is a big statement. Plus outside Japan Chinese market is the one that spends most money on animanga and is the likely one for the industry to expand on. If bootlegs were such a big issue I'm sure it would show on statistics presented by the industry itself.
Dec 31, 2021 11:45 AM

Mar 2021
konkelo said:
The market of bootleg release are an industry sure, but it being government supported is a big statement. Plus outside Japan Chinese market is the one that spends most money on animanga and is the likely one for the industry to expand on. If bootlegs were such a big issue I'm sure it would show on statistics presented by the industry itself.

It practically is state sponsored counterfeit production of foreign goods when their country keeps doing this and their government does nothing about and mostly looks the other way.

According to a report from CODA (The Content Overseas Distribution Association), Damage Caused by Japanese Film, Anime, Manga do to Chinese counterfeits amounts to over $3 Billion a year.
ColourWheelDec 31, 2021 12:04 PM
Dec 31, 2021 11:57 AM

Apr 2015
ColourWheel said:
konkelo said:
The market of bootleg release are an industry sure, but it being government supported is a big statement. Plus outside Japan Chinese market is the one that spends most money on animanga and is the likely one for the industry to expand on. If bootlegs were such a big issue I'm sure it would show on statistics presented by the industry itself.

It practically is state sponsored counterfeit production of foreign goods when their country keeps doing this and their government does nothing about and mostly looks the other way.

According to a report from CODA (The Content Overseas Distribution Association), Damage Caused by Japanese Film, Anime, Manga do to Chinese counterfeits Amounts to over $3 Billion a year.
Do you have the report at hand? Just googling it gives crunchyroll news from 2014 report, and it doesn't specify any Chinese bootleg and seems to be counted one download/click from pirate site=loss of revenue (2.5 billion us dollars not categorized by country).
Dec 31, 2021 12:01 PM

Mar 2021
konkelo said:
ColourWheel said:

According to a report from CODA (The Content Overseas Distribution Association), Damage Caused by Japanese Film, Anime, Manga do to Chinese counterfeits Amounts to over $3 Billion a year.
Do you have the report at hand? Just googling it gives crunchyroll news from 2014 report, and it doesn't specify any Chinese bootleg and seems to be counted one download/click from pirate site=loss of revenue (2.5 billion us dollars not categorized by country).

I don't have link on hand to give you because I read this in a magazine waiting to see the doctor for an appointment a few weeks ago. $3 billion a year is a large amount of capital for an industry that only produces around $19 billion a year.
Dec 31, 2021 12:20 PM

Mar 2020
katsucats said:
Endless_end said:
I don't really see it as a problem, but I don't think China can surpass japanese animation in terms of quality.
I don't see why not. There are standouts of course, but on the average, Japanese animation is quite stale. From the article, Japan has been importing work from Korea, China and Vietnam for like a decade, and it's coming to the point where these studios overseas have learned from the masters themselves, just like Japan learned from Disney in the 70s.

I actually thought that Japan only used this countries to color what they had already drawn. If they are doing their own work and it's better than Japan's, then yeah, why not :)

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 4 hours ago

17 by Shrimp_Tail »»
2 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems?

NoelleIsSleepy - 2 hours ago

22 by Eleben »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 6 hours ago

21 by SpeedxSpeed »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Should live action shows get anime adaptations?

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

4 by Daviljoe193 »»
34 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Apr 29

49 by Blackfire2340 »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.