Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Clarification on the series - it is not a sequel but a spinoff. And extra information on the novel as someone who read it. NO SPOILERS included

New
Sep 17, 2021 7:32 PM
Apr 2017
As someone who read the novel through fan translations (which got taken down by Mochiguma Scans after the announcement of the official release of the novel), the series really isn't a sequel on the fact that there is no continuation or acknowledgement of how the original novel/TV anime ended.

In fact, it's kind of like an alternate world/spinoff of the original series where everything is reset and now the Tatami Galaxy gang is in a whole new club with a new purpose of the series.

For background, the novel was initially made to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the anime, I believe and also Makoto Ueda who wrote the live action movie with a similar premise to this is good friends with the Tatami Galaxy author. They had spoke about wanting to novelize the movie for a while now and thought it would be cool to do so with Tatami Galaxy characters.

I've read the novel and I still think it's pretty fun, quirky and a good time - while not tackling the themes of the previous anime/novel, it was a great read and there was quite a bit more Akashi and Watashi focus and romance in a way which was done well.

I also read the original Tatami Galaxy novel and they had changed quite a bit in the anime so I won't be surprised if they do the same for this anime.
Sep 25, 2021 6:16 AM
Sep 2020
Ryan_Melvin15 said:
As someone who read the novel through fan translations (which got taken down by Mochiguma Scans after the announcement of the official release of the novel), the series really isn't a sequel on the fact that there is no continuation or acknowledgement of how the original novel/TV anime ended.

In fact, it's kind of like an alternate world/spinoff of the original series where everything is reset and now the Tatami Galaxy gang is in a whole new club with a new purpose of the series.

For background, the novel was initially made to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the anime, I believe and also Makoto Ueda who wrote the live action movie with a similar premise to this is good friends with the Tatami Galaxy author. They had spoke about wanting to novelize the movie for a while now and thought it would be cool to do so with Tatami Galaxy characters.

I've read the novel and I still think it's pretty fun, quirky and a good time - while not tackling the themes of the previous anime/novel, it was a great read and there was quite a bit more Akashi and Watashi focus and romance in a way which was done well.

I also read the original Tatami Galaxy novel and they had changed quite a bit in the anime so I won't be surprised if they do the same for this anime.

So does the prequel to this anime already had a proper ending to the it's story?
keffffSep 25, 2021 6:21 AM
Sep 25, 2021 6:01 PM

Nov 2020
keffff said:
Ryan_Melvin15 said:

So does the prequel to this anime already had a proper ending to the it's story?

Yes, The Tatami Galaxy already has a proper ending.
Feb 1, 2022 3:22 PM

Oct 2010
thanks for the info, helped a lot. I thought something was weird, why would morimi use the same characters from tatami for this novel
Jun 18, 2022 7:05 PM

Jan 2020
Oh, good to hear it's not a real sequel, the final was already perfect. That'd have been like doing a sequel of Higurashi Kai...

Gou? Sotsu? What are those stuff you're talking about?
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jun 18, 2022 7:07 PM

Jan 2009
thats even better since sequels usually sucks anyway
Sep 11, 2022 9:27 AM

Oct 2016
I watched the movie thanks to this and the other thread, it was fun.
Feb 6, 2023 8:12 PM

May 2019
Up.

And thanks. I found this on Streaming tv and was afraid if i should watch the previous series, but ok, no need to watch that so.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 6 Discussion

CaptainKenshiro - Oct 12, 2022

36 by cchigu »»
Jan 28, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 5 Discussion

Unowen - Oct 12, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 4 Discussion

CodeMoon - Oct 5, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 1:24 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 3 Discussion

CaptainKenshiro - Sep 28, 2022

17 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 12:50 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 2 Discussion

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 21, 2022

23 by deg »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.