Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 30, 2021 8:14 AM

Aug 2021
I've heard a lot people praising this anime and its rated pretty good as well...I just want to ask for at least one reason for starting this series, which would make me wanting to start it desperately....

Yeah, the world would be dark without Light...
but without L, the world would just be a Word...
Aug 30, 2021 8:19 AM
Sep 2020
Great fight animation, beautiful music and askeeled
Aug 30, 2021 8:19 AM
Degenerate Soda

Nov 2017
Good characters, great artstyle and animation, a very good plot. Honestly just watch it if it interests you, you don't need to force yourself to watch something just because its popular
Aug 30, 2021 8:24 AM

Aug 2013
Because Vikings and anime might be the best crossover idea ever.
Aug 30, 2021 8:27 AM
Jul 2021
Great production quality, very nice plot and arguably has one of the greatest antagonists and main characters in all of animanga.
Aug 30, 2021 8:37 AM

Oct 2018
Just give me a reason, just a little bit enough. Just a second we're not broken, just bend. And we can learn to love again.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 30, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Shobi_maurya05 said:
I've heard a lot people praising this anime and its rated pretty good as well...I just want to ask for at least one reason for starting this series, which would make me wanting to start it desperately....
Thorfinn’s character journey is reason enough to watch/read this series
Aug 30, 2021 8:38 AM

Jun 2016
It's got vikings and Sweyn's conquest of England.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 30, 2021 8:59 AM
Nov 2020
Shobi_maurya05 said:

Askeladd the chad
Aug 30, 2021 9:03 AM
Sep 2020
Thorfinn after s1 is one of the best protagonists in all of anime/manga next to even a character like Guts. He isn't bad in s1 either. If you do watch it just keep in mind that Askeladd is the most important character of s1, not Thorfinn.
Aug 30, 2021 9:12 AM
Mar 2021
Amazing story, characters, soundtrack and art
Aug 30, 2021 9:25 AM
Apr 2021
I dropped this when it first aired cause the pace was too slow, and the more I watched the episodes, the more I felt it was boring. But I recently picked it up again and finished it, so if you’re looking for a reason, I’d say it’s Thorfinn’s adventure. You won’t feel excited so early, but his growth is definitely something to look out for.
Aug 30, 2021 9:41 AM
Aug 2019
If you’re the type of person that seeks out themes and messaging in your entertainment, this is one of the best anime for that kind of thing.

The characters are pretty good. The scenarios they’re placed in are also almost always interesting. Like story-wise, you probably couldn’t ask for something better.

If you want something that’s more of a visual spectacle, it isn’t the best, but it’s still enjoyable in that way too.
Aug 30, 2021 10:14 AM
Jun 2020
One simple reason "Vikings being Badasses"
Aug 30, 2021 10:18 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Well, first of all, it has one of the best Antagonists out there, the mc has great Character Development and the Anime serves as a great entrance for the Manga.
It has some pretty good fights, interesting characters and a good pacing.
You dont feel like you watch 24 Episodes, instead it's more of following the Mc's Journey on growing up and seeking Revenge.

Also it has Vikings, thats pretty cool

Oh and bc if you dont watch it this mf: @Mopache comes and stabs you

smoochie smoochie

Aug 30, 2021 10:19 AM
Aug 2021
Honestly this anime has on the best well written story and it got some best characters you find anywhere. In addition, you got one of the best well written antagonist ever.
Aug 30, 2021 10:45 AM
Jan 2021
Askellad (15 character)
Aug 30, 2021 10:46 AM
Jan 2021
Just absolutely fantastic story,characters,music and animation. Its damn near perfect
Aug 30, 2021 11:50 AM
Oct 2020
Amazing characters, great animation + fight series, exciting story and no filler…… vikings
Aug 30, 2021 4:47 PM

Aug 2020
It's one of the only mangas that had amazing art but didn't get ruined by horrible cg in the anime. It has great characters, story, art, animation etc.
Aug 30, 2021 6:13 PM
Jul 2018
Episode 24 , don't ask anything else or I'll slap you............
Aug 30, 2021 7:39 PM

Jan 2020
Great visuals with amazing characters.

It's an engaging story from start to finish with an ever better conclusion

Aug 30, 2021 8:44 PM
Jun 2019
The mc is so likeable and the plot is so good
Aug 30, 2021 11:11 PM
Feb 2021
Soundtrack is one of the best ever, imo. Animation is really good, as we can expect from Wit.
Aug 31, 2021 12:58 AM

May 2021
The first season is a prolouge.
It's not even the main story and still it's one of the best do I need to say any more.?
Aug 31, 2021 6:50 AM
Jun 2021
One of the best hand to hand combats in anime. Mature themes.
Aug 31, 2021 3:11 PM

Feb 2021
General rule of thumb is to watch 1-2 episodes then decide if it's worth your time. Unless your main preference is fanservice with cute things then you will like this show.
Aug 31, 2021 3:12 PM
Oct 2020
It has vikings!!!
Aug 31, 2021 6:48 PM
Jul 2021
It looked cool so I pressed play.
Aug 31, 2021 7:47 PM
Jul 2021
I dont think the show lived up to the hype. There was poor character development. Unrealistic fights that took you out of the seriousness of the viking history and just overall didnt feel that plot driven. The openings and 2nd ending is a total hype. That's technically the only reason I pushed through and finished the season.
Aug 31, 2021 9:02 PM

Jan 2021
Amazing story, characters, soundtrack and great art style,
Sep 2, 2021 1:28 AM
Apr 2021
anitabb said:
I dont think the show lived up to the hype. There was poor character development. Unrealistic fights that took you out of the seriousness of the viking history and just overall didnt feel that plot driven. The openings and 2nd ending is a total hype. That's technically the only reason I pushed through and finished the season.
"Unrealistic fights that took you out of the seriousness" This is fiction my dude
Sep 4, 2021 6:38 AM
Jul 2014
anitabb said:

BRUH.
THis is gonna in my list of things to reference when I want to show a definition of "bad taste" to people.

Where in fucking hell people told that the series would have realistic violence? It's a fucking anime/manga, of course stuff would be exaggerated. Real world combat is boring and makes for poor drama material.

But then again, a fast check to your list tells me all I need to know. You like give 5 to Mahoutsukai no Yome and 6 to Eizouken, but a 9 to fucking Bleach anime and Trigun.
You gave a 3 to this series and Promised Neverland, a 4 to Akira but fucking 7 to Angels of Death.

Don't get me wrong, you are entitled to your taste but why the fuck are you here if it's clear as day to anyone that your taste is absolutely biased and your judgement is far from objective?

Said so...

DEEP_SLASHER said:
Shobi_maurya05 said:

Askeladd the chad

Vinland Saga is clearly inspired by Berserk, as many of the themes and characters have some connection to Berserk (I mean, do I have to point out the huge and explicit comparison between Thorfinn and Guts & Canute and Griffith?) and the style is also reminiscent of it.

Essentially, Vinland Saga is "what if Berserk Golden Age was set in our world but also the revenge plot was criticized as stupid from the very beginning?".
It's the story of a kid thrown in a world of violence from an early age, developing a self-destructive hatred for someone even if his own father asked him to not give in to those feelings, just to have the story slowly shift to focus on who the "hated person" was to begin with and how they will fit in the world they live in.

And that "hated person", Askeladd, is a perfect example of why this story gets the votes it gets.
He is a pirate/mercenary that kills the father of the protagonist, even if he lost their duel. He is a commander of a bunch of raiders and warriors, doing his best to... well, be a successful raider. But then you start seeing who he is. You start seeing that beyond the ruthless mercenary, he has more complex emotions and feelings about what he does and the people around him. But you also see what kind of manipulator he is, keeping a kid who wants him dead around just to keep him working for him.
And then you learn of his own sad backstory, his own revenge and hate, his own way to handle all that stuff without giving in to the world around him.

That's truly the best thing about Vinland Saga.
There are badass vikings beating each other up, but before anything else they are people in a somewhat realistic (even if over-the-top) representation of real world events and history, with our real world consequences for violence and all.

No one is a villian, everyone is doing something for their own reasons. It's a story about a different time through a modern lens, and it makes clear that no real moral judgement is important for 99% of what happens in the story, what truly matters is how the characters live through these events.
HyperversumSep 4, 2021 6:42 AM
Sep 4, 2021 6:50 AM
Nov 2020
@hyperversum
A fine analysis indeed😙👌
Sep 4, 2021 6:57 AM

Aug 2020
Great Story, Great Art and Great Soundtrack. It's a must watch

Sep 5, 2021 8:56 AM
Apr 2021
Just listen to the opening , if that doesn't make you wanna watch it nothing will
Sep 5, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2020
I'm watching this for Askelaad's character development and after watching episode 14, I don't understand how he is any redeemable character at all. To me, he falls along the likes of Dio in terms of irredeemability.
anitabb said:

Dude, you went in with wrong expectations. Nobody said Vinland saga has realistic fights. What they said was the geography in the Anime is historically accurate. The characters and fights are left up to the Author's imagination. I suggest you to re-watch it but with different expectation. It's fricking crazy right now. I don't understand why you'll think it's bad even after episode 14 which arguably is one of the best episodes I've ever watched.
ScordoloSep 5, 2021 10:01 AM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Sep 6, 2021 7:36 AM
Jul 2014
Scordolo said:
I'm watching this for Askelaad's character development and after watching episode 14, I don't understand how he is any redeemable character at all. To me, he falls along the likes of Dio in terms of irredeemability.
anitabb said:

Dude, you went in with wrong expectations. Nobody said Vinland saga has realistic fights. What they said was the geography in the Anime is historically accurate. The characters and fights are left up to the Author's imagination. I suggest you to re-watch it but with different expectation. It's fricking crazy right now. I don't understand why you'll think it's bad even after episode 14 which arguably is one of the best episodes I've ever watched.

TBF, Askeladd IS an asshole, but that's kinda the point. These aren't people from our time, nor within inside our cultural values and judgement.

He is raider, a mercenary and has countless atrocities under his command. Yet, through his lens, grow to understand that this doesn't make him more monstrous than many others around him, nor does this makes him an unlikeable person.

I mean, look at the guy. He has charisma enough to keep a bunch of murderers together through countless shit and putting himself at an advantage all the time. In the course of S1 he also manages to dodge what should have been the end of him, just to then go yet again in a potential position of advantage.

Askeladd is, in a certain sense, the literal incarnation of his time. He is a man divided between his own sense of belonging and morality (notice how he doesn't *like* raiding, he just does it because that's what he had to do to keep his own status back in his hometown, starting as a slave-kid) and his ruthless acceptance of the violence of his world. He is a man smart enough to know about the people of England being descedant of Saxons and Angles, to make moral judgements about how the Vikings are doing the same thing this those two tribes did to his own ancestors and yet he is also brutal enough to go through it.

He isn't supposed to be considered "redeemable", he is supposed to be a Scandinavian low-noble warrior leading his own small band of warriors in a world of ruthless kings, people that make a livin by killing others and the harsh reality of slavery.

If you change the perspective enough, Thorfinn ain't different from hin, Thorfinn killed a lot of people as well. The only difference is that Askeladd was a man in a middle position of power (with commoners at low and high nobility at the top) who made his choices. Thorfinn would have 100% ordered the same atrocities if they could have been useful to gain a chance of revenge, to keep himself alive in order to go fight Askeladd once more.

That's what makes this series writing great.
Sep 6, 2021 9:12 PM

Sep 2021
It's just awesome. Believe me you'll be glad that you watched it.
Sep 16, 2021 6:25 AM

May 2011
Uchiha Madara’s/Souichirou’s voice actor plays yet another epic villain in Askeladd (Vinland Saga).
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Sep 17, 2021 2:45 PM

Jan 2021
In my opinion, Vinland Saga is a terrible show and the characters are unlikable and unsympathetic. Also Asskelad is garbage and I cannot stand his simpdom.

Sep 21, 2021 1:58 AM
Jan 2021
Currently watching it, I don't think of any good reason not watch this, unless you don't like violence. Just watch it already.

More topics from this board

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot...

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

48 by peterross »»
May 3, 2:30 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

797 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2019

256 by OrganikPatates »»
Apr 28, 8:34 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

392 by joelius__0 »»
Apr 26, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.