Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

(Please read before creating new posts) For those looking to get into Fruits Basket or are wondering what's up with this season...

Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 15, 2021 1:03 AM

Nov 2018
In before all the "Is it that good?", "Is it worth watching?", and "Is the score warranted?" posts come in from those who know nothing about this series and as to why this season is highly rated, I'd thought I'd make this post to give a bit more context of what to expect and the history of Furuba and its adaptations for the newcomers looking to get into this series.

(Also, I've only seen both anime series, so go easy on me, manga readers.)

What is Fruits Basket?
Fruits Basket is one of the most popular and well-known Shoujo series ever released. It was released between 1999 and 2006 and has won a couple of awards. It has sold over 30 million volumes, and it also received an anime adaptation back in 2001.

Furuba is a supernatural romance drama series (with hints of comedy and SOL) that is targeted towards a more female audience.

Original Series
The original Fruits Basket anime adapted by Studio Deen adapted the first 8 volumes of the manga. The anime was very successful in Japan and overseas, which helped boost the sales of the manga.

Some parts of the plot deviated from the manga and were portrayed differently, such as Momiji and Shigure's mannerisms. Throughout production, Daichi (director) and Takaya (mangaka) ran into disagreements, including the cast, coloring details, and Daichi's storytelling style, leading Takaya to disliking the series.

New Series
A new series was announced in November 2018 that would take another shot at adapting the manga, done by TMS Entertainment, which would adapt the entirety of the manga a lot more faithfully than its predecessor

The re-adaptation adapted the following chapters: (source: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1914669)
Fruits Basket 1st Season: 43 out of 136 chapters were adapted: 1-35, 37-41, 44/45 and 51. (volume 1 to volume 8/9)
Fruits Basket 2nd Season: 50 chapters were adapted: 36, 42/43, 46-50, 52-89 and 94-97. (volume 8/9 to volume 17)
Fruits Basket: The Final: (TBC) (volume 17 to volume 23)

The series has also been released via simuldub, so you can be up to date with anime with either sub or dub. Also, many of the original dub VAs have reprised their roles from the 2001 anime (if you find that bit of trivia interesting.)

Quality of adaptation
Are the production values really good? Absolutely.

Do the OP/EDs have good songs? Yes. The series also has great OSTs that help turn the emotions dial up to 11 when needed.

What's the animation/art like? The animation is basic as the series is a SOL, but the minimal movement is made up thanks to the quality of the art work for the backgrounds, environments and settings, which pop out thanks to the bright colors.

How well do the VA's perform? Some of the best performances done all year, especially for this season.

Is the story and the characters good? It's subjective, and the perception of enjoyment and which characters resonate with the viewer is different from person to person. Most people will say it's good, but you got to see it to judge it.

Is the series slow-paced? Yes, but for good reason, as there is a lot of character development that takes place, and the series needs time to build things up to the climax. Please pay attention to all the small details and character interactions when starting this show.

How does the original series fare against the remake? The remake blows the original series out of the water.

Why the high rating?
The reason this season is so high up is because this season is covering the climax of the story. Everything that's been building up to this moment in time from the previous 50 episodes is now being paid off. Each episode has pretty much been one-upping themselves and the reception among the fans have been incredibly favorable (check the poll percentages).

TMS has gone all out to make the anime look amazing, and the VA's have done a 10/10 job of hitting all the high notes with their character performances. This is pretty much the dream adaptation that so many of the fans have been waiting for for the past 15+ years.

As of episode 11, the anime has surpassed the 50% mark for 10/10 votes, only bested by Legend of the Galactic Heroes (51.7%).
Edit: This season as of the release of episode 13 now has the highest 10/10 percentage of any top 50 anime (>52%).

Is the score justified? Yes.

But what about recency bias? All series have recency bias when they come out. Do you complain about those shows as well, or just the ones that reach the top 50 or top 10 for that matter?

What about the sequel effect? That doesn't apply to this season, as the jump between S2 & S3's scores are too big (>0.6 difference). It just goes to show how greatly this season was produced and performed.

Will it go down overtime? Probably, just like what happens with nearly every other anime on MAL.

Does complaining about the score being too high and pitting fanbases against each other make you look stupid? 100%

Just know that this series is drama-heavy, so if you're looking for something lighthearted like Kaguya-sama or fast-paced like your average shounen series, then this show probably isn't for you.

Don't go into this show thinking this is the next best thing since sliced bread, as that will affect how much you'll find enjoyment from this series. Just have zero expectations when jumping into this series and you’ll be fine.

If you have any other questions, please ask down below.
_cjessop19_Jul 14, 2021 5:15 AM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 15, 2021 1:14 AM
Oct 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
In before all the "Is it that good?" posts come in from those who know nothing about this series and as to why this season is highly rated, I'd thought I'd make this post to give a bit more context of what to expect and the history of Furuba and its adaptations for the newcomers looking to get into this series.

What is Fruits Basket?
Fruits Basket is one of the most popular and well-known Shoujo series ever released. It was released between 1999 and 2006 and has won a couple of awards. It has sold over 30 million volumes, and it also received an anime adaptation back in 2001.

Furuba is a supernatural romance drama series (with hints of comedy and SOL) that is targeted towards a more female audience.

Original Series
The original Fruits Basket anime adapted by Studio Deen adapted the first 8 volumes of the manga. The anime was very successful in Japan and overseas, which helped boost the sales of the manga.

Some parts of the plot deviated from the manga and were portrayed differently, such as Momiji and Shigure's mannerisms. Throughout production, Daichi (director) and Takaya (mangaka) ran into disagreements, including the cast, coloring details, and Daichi's storytelling style, leading Takaya to disliking the series.

New Series
A new series was announced in November 2018 that would take another shot at adapting the manga, done by TMS Entertainment, which would adapt the entirety of the manga.

The re-adaptation adapted the following chapters: (source: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1914669)
The first season: 43 out of 136 chapters were adapted: 1-35, 37-41, 44/45 and 51. (volume 1 to volume 8/9)
The second season: 50 chapters were adapted: 36, 42/43, 46-50, 52-89 and 94-97. (volume 8/9 to volume 17)
The final season: (TBC) (volume 17 to volume 23)

The series has also been released via simuldub, so you can be up to date with anime with either sub or dub. Also, many of the original dub VAs have reprised their roles from the 2001 anime.

Quality of adaptation

Do the OP/EDs have good songs? Yes. The series also has great OSTs that help turn the emotions dial up to 11 when needed.

What's the animation/art like? The animation is basic as the series is a SOL, but the minimal movement is made up thanks to the quality of the art work for the backgrounds, environments and settings, which pop out thanks to the bright colors.

How well do the VA's perform? Some of the best performances done all year, especially for this season.

Is the story and the characters good? To me (OP), I really enjoyed watching Furuba. It's subjective, and the perception of enjoyment and which characters resonate with the viewer is different from person to person. Most people will say it's good, but you got to see it to judge it.

Is the series slow-paced? Yes. But for good reason, as there is a lot of character development that takes place, and the series needs time to build things up to the climax.

How does the original series fare against the remake? The remake blows the original series out of the water.

Why the high rating?
The reason this season is so high up is because this season is covering the climax of the story. Everything that's been building up to this moment in time from the previous 50 episodes is now being paid off. Pretty much each episode has been one-upping themselves and the reception among the fans have been incredibly favorable (check the poll percentages).

TMS has gone all out to make the anime look amazing, and the VA's have done a 10/10 job of hitting all the high notes with their character performances. This is pretty much the dream adaptation that so many of the fans have been waiting for for the past 15+ years.

But what about recency bias? All series have recency bias. Do you complain about those shows as well, or just the ones that reach the top 50 or top 10 for that matter?

Will it go down overtime? Yeah, like what happens with nearly every other anime on MAL.

Does complaining about the score being too high make you look stupid? 100%

Just know that this series is drama-heavy, so if you're looking for something lighthearted like Kaguya-sama or fast-paced like your average shounen series, then this show probably isn't for you.

Very well said. Finally, someone said it.
Jun 15, 2021 1:23 AM
Apr 2019
_cjessop19_ said:
In before all the "Is it that good?" posts come in from those who know nothing about this series and as to why this season is highly rated, I'd thought I'd make this post to give a bit more context of what to expect and the history of Furuba and its adaptations for the newcomers looking to get into this series.

What is Fruits Basket?

Original Series

New Series
A new series was announced in November 2018 that would take another shot at adapting the manga, done by TMS Entertainment, which would adapt the entirety of the manga.

The first season: 43 out of 136 chapters were adapted: 1-35, 37-41, 44/45 and 51. (volume 1 to volume 8/9)
The second season: 50 chapters were adapted: 36, 42/43, 46-50, 52-89 and 94-97. (volume 8/9 to volume 17)

The series has also been released via simuldub, so you can be up to date with anime with either sub or dub. Also, many of the original dub VAs have reprised their roles from the 2001 anime.

Quality of adaptation

Is the story and the characters good? To me (OP), I really enjoyed watching Furuba. It's subjective, and the perception of enjoyment and which characters resonate with the viewer is different from person to person. Most people will say it's good, but you got to see it to judge it.

Is the series slow-paced? Yes. But for good reason, as there is a lot of character development that takes place, and the series needs time to build things up to the climax.

Why the high rating?
The reason this season is so high up is because this season is covering the climax of the story. Everything that's been building up to this moment in time from the previous 50 episodes is now being paid off. Pretty much each episode has been one-upping themselves and the reception among the fans have been incredibly favorable (check the poll percentages).

But what about recency bias? All series have recency bias. Do you complain about those shows as well, or just the ones that reach the top 50 or top 10 for that matter?

Will it go down overtime? Yeah, like what happens with nearly every other anime on MAL.

Absolutely based. Thnx man. It was getting disgusting.
Jun 15, 2021 1:25 AM
Sep 2020
I wish fans don't get toxic when score down. Keep in mind that this happens to every anime.
Clannad after story once had a rating of 9.35, but now it is 8.96. ratings go down after some time for every anime.
Jun 15, 2021 1:26 AM

Mar 2020
How do I pin black astronomy man's post on the forum bro because everyone needs to read this.
Jun 15, 2021 1:27 AM

Nov 2020
_cjessop19_ said:

Good job with the explanation.

I was also watching it weekly but put it on hold on episode 5, so that I could binge watch it but after looking at the rating increasing day-by-day I binged watched upto the latest episode and I have to say it went from an 8[Ep. 5] to a 9-9.2[Current ep.] territory in a matter of couple of episodes. Absolutely fantastic series, recommended to anyone who likes Romance/Drama Genre.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jun 15, 2021 1:31 AM

Nov 2018
Judevin said:
How do I pin black astronomy man's post on the forum bro because everyone needs to read this.

Shame you can't do @ everyone lol. There's already someone with that name.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jun 15, 2021 1:38 AM

Oct 2018
_cjessop19_ said:

What is Fruits Basket?

Original Series

New Series

Quality of adaptation

Why the high rating?

Don't go into this show with high expectations as that will effect how much you'll find enjoyment from this series. Just think of this as your average anime series, that's what I've been doing all this time.

Thanks! Finally someone said what I'm trying to say.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 2:19 AM

Oct 2020
_cjessop19_ said:

What is Fruits Basket?

Original Series

New Series

Quality of adaptation

Why the high rating?

Don't go into this show with high expectations as that will effect how much you'll find enjoyment from this series. Just think of this as your average anime series and you will be fine, that's what I've been doing all this time.

Bro I really appreciate that, THANKS for writing all those, it will help many newcomers, also nicely written 👍👍
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jun 15, 2021 2:31 AM
Oct 2018
All your points are pretty good. I have not watched this show but I think the high rating also has to do with the fact that audience of this show is very small as I can see from the number of users. Usually, more popular a show is, higher the chance of rating going down eventually because of varying opinions and a cult of haters bombing 1/10s
Jun 15, 2021 2:33 AM

Aug 2020
Ahsan_1 said:
I wish fans don't get toxic when score down. Keep in mind that this happens to every anime.
Clannad after story once had a rating of 9.35, but now it is 8.96. ratings go down after some time for every anime.
Wasn't that Your Name? The best I see that Clannad got was 9.10.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jun 15, 2021 2:45 AM

Jan 2019
One of the best posts I've ever seen on MAL by a user.
Karnox001Jun 15, 2021 3:21 AM
Jun 15, 2021 2:52 AM

Oct 2018
Corrout said:
Ahsan_1 said:

I thought Clannad After Story was downvoted into oblivion by some fanboys?

― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 3:03 AM
May 2020
_cjessop19_ said:

What is Fruits Basket?

Original Series

New Series
A new series was announced in November 2018 that would take another shot at adapting the manga, done by TMS Entertainment, which would adapt the entirety of the manga a lot more faithfully than its predecessor

Fruits Basket 1st Season: 43 out of 136 chapters were adapted: 1-35, 37-41, 44/45 and 51. (volume 1 to volume 8/9)
Fruits Basket 2nd Season: 50 chapters were adapted: 36, 42/43, 46-50, 52-89 and 94-97. (volume 8/9 to volume 17)

The series has also been released via simuldub, so you can be up to date with anime with either sub or dub. Also, many of the original dub VAs have reprised their roles from the 2001 anime (if you find that bit of trivia interesting.)

Quality of adaptation

Is the series slow-paced? Yes, but for good reason, as there is a lot of character development that takes place, and the series needs time to build things up to the climax.

Why the high rating?
The reason this season is so high up is because this season is covering the climax of the story. Everything that's been building up to this moment in time from the previous 50 episodes is now being paid off. Each episode has pretty much been one-upping themselves and the reception among the fans have been incredibly favorable (check the poll percentages).

But what about recency bias? All series have recency bias when they come out. Do you complain about those shows as well, or just the ones that reach the top 50 or top 10 for that matter?

Don't go into this show thinking this is the next best thing since sliced bread, as that will effect how much you'll find enjoyment from this series. Just think of this as your average anime series and you will be fine, that's what I've been doing all this time.

just one thing respect for saying this man
now it can be a lot clear for newcomers
great job👌
Jun 15, 2021 3:11 AM
Mar 2018
Thank you for saying this! I have to say that newcomers should really start from season one and not jump into this season just because of the rating. Also, Tohru might come off as annoying at first but she will win you over
Jun 15, 2021 3:29 AM
Sep 2020
Corrout said:
Ahsan_1 said:

No. There was a time when it had 9.35. but it was a few years ago. As mal users increased, it went down gradually.
Jun 15, 2021 3:34 AM
Sep 2020
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Corrout said:

Yes. 1/10 downvotes are a common thing on mal(for high rated shows) . Furuba already has more than 1% 1/10s.
But again, this isn't the only reason. Not everyone has same taste or thinking as me , any show no matter how good it is, is disliked by someone (not taking about trashy fanboys who downvote). For instance people are not fans of slice of life ,drama etc. Or those who just don't like stuff like that. Thus they end of giving a lower rating.
Jun 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Oct 2018
Ahsan_1 said:
Natsuki_SanJuan said:

Yes. 1/10 downvotes are a common thing on mal(for high rated shows) . Furuba already has more than 1% 1/10s.
But again, this isn't the only reason. Not everyone has same taste or thinking as me , any show no matter how good it is, is disliked by someone (not taking about trashy fanboys who downvote). For instance people are not fans of slice of life ,drama etc. Or those who just don't like stuff like that. Thus they end of giving a lower rating.

Or someone those who want some shonen anime on the top and they think shoujo/drama romance animes doesn't deserve a high ranking score.

― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 3:52 AM

Nov 2018
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Ahsan_1 said:

Or someone those who want some shonen anime on the top and they think shoujo/drama romance animes doesn't deserve a high ranking score.

Let's move on from that discussion as that might get this post locked for the wrong reason ;)

Jun 15, 2021 3:54 AM

Oct 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
Natsuki_SanJuan said:

Let's move on from that discussion as that might get this post locked for the wrong reason ;)
Well right. Sorry about that.

― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 4:36 AM

Nov 2016
Mashallah Bruder, may Allah grant you a place in Jannah.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 15, 2021 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
appreciate this, posting simply so this stays near the top instead of the "okay but is it actually good" threads
Jun 15, 2021 10:36 AM

Oct 2018
_cjessop19_ said:

LMAOOOOOOO let them know
Jun 15, 2021 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Judevin said:
bruh honestly, I wish there was a way for us to do that
Jun 15, 2021 11:08 AM

Oct 2015
_cjessop19_ said:

Honestly the way the story is told and the way it is adapted this might never go down a 8.9 or 8.8

And to be fair i deserves at least a spot in the top 15 if you ask me.
Jun 15, 2021 6:12 PM

Nov 2018
eli_shmeli said:
Judevin said:
bruh honestly, I wish there was a way for us to do that

If you ask the mods nicely, or wait until episode 13 is released and watch as the shitstorm of confusion and hate start to unfold.

Jun 15, 2021 9:01 PM

Oct 2018
Quick question, while I'm still waiting for the final season to complete, I'll plan to rewatch the first two seasons. My question is the original Fruits Basket is good like this adaptation? I'll plan to watch because of Yui Horie, seiyuu of original Tohru.

― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 9:04 PM

Nov 2018
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Quick question, while I'm still waiting for the final season to complete, I'll plan to rewatch the first two seasons. My question is the original Fruits Basket is good like this adaptation? I'll plan to watch because of Yui Horie, seiyuu of original Tohru.

The OG series doesn't come close to this series. You can watch it, but it'll be like watching the first season of the new series.

Jun 15, 2021 9:14 PM

Oct 2018
_cjessop19_ said:
Natsuki_SanJuan said:

The OG series doesn't come close to this series. You can watch it, but it'll be like watching the first season of the new series.
Oh... Okay. I guess I'll rewatch the 50 episodes of mental torture before the final.

― Natsume Takashi
Jun 15, 2021 10:10 PM

Nov 2010
Natsuki_SanJuan said:

Original focuses more on comedy and has anime original ending. It also changed some characters, mainly Akito and Shigure. Its not bad but is just different.
Jun 16, 2021 3:02 PM

Sep 2018
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking "WTF, goddamn, this score tho". I have the first season on my PTW, will get around to it soon.
Jun 16, 2021 3:35 PM

Nov 2018
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking "WTF, goddamn, this score tho". I have the first season on my PTW, will get around to it soon.

Better to have this post explain what’s going on rather than several people making posts about the score and creating toxicity in the forums

Jun 18, 2021 11:26 AM

Nov 2018
Looks like we’re getting more of those score-based posts, hopefully people will see this

Jun 18, 2021 11:48 AM

Nov 2016
_cjessop19_ said:
Looks like we’re getting more of those score-based posts, hopefully people will see this

Fruitless, you can't hope to fight against human stupidity curiosity.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 18, 2021 1:03 PM

Nov 2018
FMmatron said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Fruitless, you can't hope to fight against human stupidity curiosity.

If it means the sanctity and peacefulness of the forums, then I shall do what I must

Jun 18, 2021 3:23 PM

Nov 2019
Well there are people like @ilovepakistan11 who won't read such posts anyway and horde 1s without seeing the show...
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 19, 2021 7:08 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
nice post, but i do think it's worth mentioning that aside from recency bias, the score is also benefitting from the sequel effect, where people who didn't like or were as impressed with previous seasons, do not take part in rating this season as much as the fans who continued it due to liking it so much.
not to say other shows in the upper brackets of the top anime list aren't there due to similar reasons, but it is one of the main causes for this score IMO.
personally speaking, i still think it's deserved as fruits basket shot up to my favorites and was my aoty for the past three years, but i don't necessarily think this season is that much more amazing than the first or the second ones (or more accurately, that those are any less amazing than this one), sure it has the climax of the story and the payoff for much of the buildup that was established prior, but that character work and even many other flashbacks, character arcs, introductions and moments stood for themeselves and were as amazing as the final the way i see it, so maybe a note about the sequel effect should be considered as well for a thread like this.
Jun 19, 2021 7:33 AM

Jan 2020
Ahsan_1 said:
Natsuki_SanJuan said:

Bruh why would people who dont like slice of life, drama watch the final seaosn of this anime? Those people already dropped it in 1st season, this is one of the main reason why the score is very high
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jun 19, 2021 7:35 AM

Nov 2018
Kiyotaka696 said:
Ahsan_1 said:

Bruh why would people who dont like slice of life, drama watch the final seaosn of this anime? Those people already dropped it in 1st season, this is one of the main reason why the score is very high

They think it's some sort of competition and do it out of spite.

Jun 19, 2021 7:41 AM

Jan 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
Kiyotaka696 said:

They think it's some sort of competition and do it out of spite.

Probably 5~10% of them. So they really aren't and will not be the main reason this will get lower rating, this is an anime that is usually watched by people who like slice of life and shoujo animes, it's not like the popular animes like AoT or re zero, which is watched by all types of people. Those animes constantly get lower rating because more types of people will watch it, types that wouldn't like it. But fruit basket will remain the same, if people couldn't create bots and downvote animes that is.

Basically my point is, for unpopular animes, like fruit basket. The score going down will be 96% due to bots. Because it's not popular and mostly only people who search for it will watch it. And people who search for these animes, have a very high chance of enjoying it, Because they searched for that type of anime!
DayyanoEYEJun 19, 2021 7:49 AM
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jun 19, 2021 7:45 AM

Jul 2020
Incredible job bro.This thread needs to blow up.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 19, 2021 7:47 AM

Nov 2018
Scordolo said:
Incredible job bro.This thread needs to blow up.

Thanks. Kinda wish people actually see the "Please read" message in the title before creating the score posts.

Jun 19, 2021 9:29 AM
Nov 2020
_cjessop19_ said:
In before all the "Is it that good?" and "Is the score warranted?" posts come in from those who know nothing about this series and as to why this season is highly rated, I'd thought I'd make this post to give a bit more context of what to expect and the history of Furuba and its adaptations for the newcomers looking to get into this series.

What is Fruits Basket?

Original Series

New Series

Quality of adaptation

Is the story and the characters good? It's subjective, and the perception of enjoyment and which characters resonate with the viewer is different from person to person. Most people will say it's good, but you got to see it to judge it.

Is the series slow-paced? Yes, but for good reason, as there is a lot of character development that takes place, and the series needs time to build things up to the climax. Please pay attention to all the small details and character interactions when starting this show.

Why the high rating?

As of episode 11, the anime has surpassed the 50% mark for 10/10 votes, only bested by Legend of the Galactic Heroes (51.7%)

Will it go down overtime? Probably, just like what happens with nearly every other anime on MAL.

Don't go into this show thinking this is the next best thing since sliced bread, as that will effect how much you'll find enjoyment from this series. Just have zero expectations when jumping into this series and you’ll be fine.

Thank you for taking your time and explaining it so that non watchers wouldn't rant about this season getting such high rating 😌

I have nothing but gratitude towards TMS entertainment coz they adapted completely this masterpiece of a manga 🙂
Tee~Heee 😜
Jun 19, 2021 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
betaweeb said:
nice post, but i do think it's worth mentioning that aside from recency bias, the score is also benefitting from the sequel effect, where people who didn't like or were as impressed with previous seasons, do not take part in rating this season as much as the fans who continued it due to liking it so much.
not to say other shows in the upper brackets of the top anime list aren't there due to similar reasons, but it is one of the main causes for this score IMO.
personally speaking, i still think it's deserved as fruits basket shot up to my favorites and was my aoty for the past three years, but i don't necessarily think this season is that much more amazing than the first or the second ones (or more accurately, that those are any less amazing than this one), sure it has the climax of the story and the payoff for much of the buildup that was established prior, but that character work and even many other flashbacks, character arcs, introductions and moments stood for themeselves and were as amazing as the final the way i see it, so maybe a note about the sequel effect should be considered as well for a thread like this.
you definitely have a good point, and I would tend to agree with you when talking about Fruits in particular. However, sequels can also have the negative that they are only being judged by fans, so if a sequel veers too abruptly from the original or isn't as good fans will be more likely to hate it than your average audience. For example, Promised Neverland and One Punch Man both had a large fan backlash to their second seasons. So being a sequel can be both a positive and a negative as far as score goes
Jun 19, 2021 2:08 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
eli_shmeli said:
betaweeb said:
you definitely have a good point, and I would tend to agree with you when talking about Fruits in particular. However, sequels can also have the negative that they are only being judged by fans, so if a sequel veers too abruptly from the original or isn't as good fans will be more likely to hate it than your average audience. For example, Promised Neverland and One Punch Man both had a large fan backlash to their second seasons. So being a sequel can be both a positive and a negative as far as score goes

i don't know if that's as likely as the score going unproportionally higher, but that is definitely a possibility and those examples seem fairly accurate, so i'd say that what's for sure is that, the way sequels are listed in this site, along with the way fans follow and rate shows, end up effecting the score in a somewhat artificial and distorted manner, that bears mentioning when analyzing a sequel's particularly high(or much lower) score.
Jun 19, 2021 3:15 PM
Feb 2021
Actually the score is so high because it only has 31k votes and because so far it didn’t surpass any of the series with the most toxic fanbases
Jun 19, 2021 3:32 PM

Nov 2018
mk_tb said:
Actually the score is so high because it only has 31k votes and because so far it didn’t surpass any of the series with the most toxic fanbases

The distribution of votes is what actually matters, not the number. The show could have the same score if 1 million votes with the same exact distribution percentages

Jun 19, 2021 3:35 PM
Feb 2021
_cjessop19_ said:

The distribution of votes is what actually matters, not the number. The show could have the same score if 1 million votes with the same exact distribution percentages
so you are assuming that if this show had 1 million votes the distribution will remain the same as now ??
Jun 19, 2021 3:52 PM

Nov 2018
mk_tb said:
_cjessop19_ said:

so you are assuming that if this show had 1 million votes the distribution will remain the same as now ??

I’m not taking people’s opinions into account, it’s just a hypothetical scenario where the distribution stays the same. It would be good for the show if the numbers stay the way they are now or improve, but it will probably differ somewhat over time.

Jun 19, 2021 4:05 PM
Feb 2021
_cjessop19_ said:

I’m not taking people’s opinions into account, it’s just a hypothetical scenario where the distribution stays the same. It would be good for the show if the numbers stay the way they are now or improve, but it will probably differ somewhat over time.
i see, i actually hope this show doesn't gain unwanted attraction so that the community remains at peace but i wouldn’t get my hopes up because this is mal after all
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2021

318 by wibugar »»
May 9, 2:42 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2021

163 by FardinRimon »»
Apr 17, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2021

169 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 9:06 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2021

165 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 1:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2021

158 by Kris08 »»
Mar 5, 11:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.