Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 14, 2021 8:39 AM
Nov 2020
I really want to get into Re:Zero. It is so highly rated and praised by many but I just couldn't understand what is so special about this show.
I tried it 5 months ago for the first time and followed the 3 eps rule of anime (you can say a show is good or bad by only watching first 3 eps; my friends told me), thought it was another Isekai (with waifu, cat girls, loli) rated it 3 and moved on. But the hype for the latest season OMG and everyone telling how great it is going to be in the future. Generally I like all the highly rated shows except Monogatari (only saw Bake... lol).
I mean there is not even an explanation why Subaru got transported into Isekai world in the first place (even SAO had it).
I really disliked Subaru as the main protagonist.
Please share your opinion..
Sandro8604Jun 23, 2021 6:00 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 14, 2021 8:53 AM

Jun 2016
It's isekai groundhog day but a bit darker.
Also the three episode rule is garbage, you're gonna miss out on a lot of good anime if you follow that.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 14, 2021 8:54 AM
Mar 2019
Theo1899 said:
It's isekai groundhog day but a bit darker.
Also the three episode rule is garbage, you're gonna miss out on a lot of good anime if you follow that.

I agree i usually would give a go for one arc before dropping it.Also,this show isn't really about how the guy got there and everything and what fantasies he's about to live in.This really isn't a regular isekai,It's just a different take kn the isekai genre and the main character is annoying at the start but you should really give it a proper shot.
I guess approaching this as a regular isekai is a mistake for many people because its..not really a plot or story or journey with tons of action(there is a bit of it but only when necessary.)It's a character story,and a very strong emphasis on characters which are carrying the show and as they should cu they are the centre of the spotlight.
Re zero is often criticised for its main character but his mental thoughts and struggles of his character are really relatable to me personally.I mean,Not EXACTLY relatable like dying but some scenes where he questions his mindset and brings himself down at times really does resonate.
Give seaosn 1 a shot once but this time not as the usual isekai.Hopefully you'll like it!
AliasterB2003Jun 14, 2021 9:01 AM
Jun 14, 2021 8:56 AM
Jun 2017
If you don’t like the first 3 episodes then I’d say you gave it a fair shot. I do however find it to be one of the greatest shows of all time. The back story is amazing. I think it’s unnecessary to explain everything up front. Re:Zero is one of those shows that will have something happen, then go back and explain WHY it happened, and to me that makes a show much more enjoyable. The second season was amazing. I thought there was no way they could do better than the first season, but season 2 blew it out of the water. The emotional pull from the characters as well as the character development brings you much closer to the show. Seeing the weak overcome their struggles and seeing how everything got to be so horrible was a weird experience. I would love to see how Subaru is going to turn all these horrible events around in season 3. Subaru is kind of annoying at times but I think he’s a great character. The thing is he hides his weakness by acting overly confident but when he admits to being weak you feel it. Overall I think it’s just amazing writing as well as amazing execution.
Apr 2021
Some of the best character writing in anime IMO. Plus the plot opens up a lot and there is a whole slew of characters and backstories to explore. Each episode is interesting and adds something new with good pacing between episodes and some good social commentary (I think it’s considered social commentary even though it feels more individual than your usual social commentary). The 3 episode rule is awful and you’re gonna miss a bunch of good anime’s if you stick with it :)
Dec 2020
That its horrible lol (I'm just kidding I haven't seen the show)
Jun 14, 2021 9:03 AM
Mar 2019
Xethyll said:
Some of the best character writing in anime IMO. Plus the plot opens up a lot and there is a whole slew of characters and backstories to explore. Each episode is interesting and adds something new with good pacing between episodes and some good social commentary (I think it’s considered social commentary even though it feels more individual than your usual social commentary). The 3 episode rule is awful and you’re gonna miss a bunch of good anime’s if you stick with it :)

I almost dropped a couple shows like MHA and FMA brotherhood because of this rule.But sticking around is OH SO REWARDING.
Jun 14, 2021 9:05 AM
Apr 2021
AliasterB2003 said:
Xethyll said:

I almost dropped a couple shows like MHA and FMA brotherhood because of this rule.But sticking around is OH SO REWARDING.
damn straight man. It’s such a bad rule imo
Jun 14, 2021 9:06 AM
May 2021
i think it's mostly because of the plot and well-developed characters , although i loved the character designs and illustration too
Jun 14, 2021 9:08 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
You can read the spoiler free part of my Mal review if you want the long answer but in short the story is Inotive, the production values are all exceptional and the show has some real depth and effort put into it.

As for the three EP rule I understand it's purpose but my own rule is to watch anime I like and not anime I don't like. If you want to like it then watch it all, if not, then don't watch, simple really😅
Jun 14, 2021 9:13 AM

May 2021
The first three episodes do not convey, at all, how the rest of the show is. For me, episode 4 is where it really started. Not your generic isekai, a lot more darker with a lot of suffering.

Also, it's better to watch more episodes and not just 3 to decide whether an anime is wroth it.
Jun 14, 2021 9:19 AM
Feb 2021
Imo the 3-episode rule only really works for shows that start out strong from the get-go but can always lose steam later, whie Re:Zero is the opposite in that the beginning is fairly average but starts to pick up steam with each episode. Log Horizon is another great example of this.

Why Subaru got summoned is still a mystery in the beginning, not everything is explained right away but you do get an idea of what could’ve happened by the end of Season 1. The storyline is much more mystery-based than other Isekai, and dare I mention that the series is actually pretty long. Even Season 2 isn’t close to the halfway point of the story.
Jun 14, 2021 9:20 AM
Apr 2019
Try watching more, you might find yourself liking it more and more. To me, its literally my favorite anime, I recommended it to all my friends who watches anime. To be honest, I find it bad at the start when i watched the first 3 episodes. But then Rem appeared and i continued watching the show for the sake of the waifu at that point. But as i continued to watch more, i find myself really liking the plot of this anime, how subaru slowy overcome all obstacles along his path. So now im enjoying this show for its plot (and waifus of course :p) but yea you should really try to watch more.
Sadlyfe_guyJun 14, 2021 9:23 AM
Jun 14, 2021 9:48 AM
Feb 2020
3 episodes is not enough. I would have dropped steins gate and hunter x hunter if I'd only watched the first 3 episodes. I only started Re:zero 2 weeks ago and was also unimpressed after 3 episodes. I'm now onto episode 22 and can only recommend you stick with it. Episode 15 was the game changer for me. It was perhaps the most brutal anime episode I've seen and I've seen a fair few. Haven't been hit in the feels like that for a while.
Jun 14, 2021 9:49 AM
Mar 2021
three eps in and you dropped it and gave a 3 ? that rule is like nonsense
Jun 14, 2021 9:51 AM
Dec 2020
Sandro8604 said:
I really want to get into Re:Zero. It is so highly rated and praised by many but I just couldn't understand what is so special about this show.
I tried it 5 months ego for the first time and followed the 3 eps rule of anime (you can say a show is good or bad by only watching first 3 eps; my friends told me), thought it was another Isekai (with waifu, cat girls, loli) rated it 3 and moved on. But the hype for the latest season OMG and everyone telling how great it is going to be in the future. Generally I like all the highly rated shows except Monogatari (only saw Bake... lol).
I mean there is not even an explanation why Subaru got transported into Isekai world in the first place (even SAO had it).
that rule is bad lmao like what steingate is also bad?
Jun 14, 2021 9:53 AM
Feb 2021
Sandro8604 said:
I tried it 5 months ego for the first time and followed the 3 eps rule of anime (you can say a show is good or bad by only watching first 3 eps; my friends told me), thought it was another Isekai (with waifu, cat girls, loli) rated it 3 and moved on. But the hype for the latest season OMG and everyone telling how great it is going to be in the future. Generally I like all the highly rated shows except Monogatari (only saw Bake... lol).
don't wanna disrespect you but if you don't wanna get into the show please don't cause first of all it's not your generic isekai its way more darker than any isekai out there and your reason for disliking the character in the start of the series is valid ig cause he is way more realistic than any other isekai or most of the anime mc out there you have to keep going to see why it is so the show has some of the greatest mysterious plot I've ever saw in any animanga each and every character is really very well written cast is S tier along side with mc so yeah if you want to watch something mysterious, dark with great plot twist pick it up again cause as I m an LN reader I can say rezero hasn't even reached in its peak in anime something big is coming in season 3 so yeah watch it...
Jun 14, 2021 9:58 AM
Dec 2018
You probably just didn't see the potential it has
Jun 14, 2021 10:03 AM
Nov 2020
Ok
Sandro8604 said:
to understand the whole re zero greatness you need to read the novel
Jun 14, 2021 10:09 AM
Feb 2021
AliasterB2003 said:
Xethyll said:

Same i was gonna drop AOT once as to People just being eaten by monsters just didnt excite me much but i stuck with it and as the 6th ep was over i was just hooked and needed more and more and more eps to just see how the story unfolds.

Yeah the 3 ep rule is pretty much irrelevant like if u have an eye on something u wanna watch just go ahead and watch it.
Jun 14, 2021 10:14 AM
Apr 2020
Sandro8604 said:

You can use the three episode rule to decide whether or not you want to put in effort to watch the show, not to form a valid understanding of whether or not the show in it’s entirety is worth the praise it receives.
Jun 14, 2021 10:14 AM
Sep 2020
3 ep rule only applies to 12 ep anime
Jun 14, 2021 10:21 AM
Jun 2021
I consider Re:Zero as one of my most favourite show I've ever watched. Subaru isn't like the other anime protagonists. The show offered a very complex story. Being revived after death every time is totally crazy. You have to manage everything and if anything goes bad, you'll have to start everything by dying. And dying isn't something easy, you can't end your life by death and be free. You'll have to go through the pain over and over untill you fix everything. This is terrifying.
Jun 14, 2021 10:22 AM
Dec 2020
Sandro8604 said:

1st 3 ep rule is bad,it only good if you are watching a very unkown/unpopular anime and you should never follow it when watching a well known anime/adaptation of a popular sorce material,,
2nd subaru getting isekai'ed is a plot point in later story/theory fuel for the comunity just think that he got summoned by someone this this world
3rd the good about re zero is had character develop rather than a bland op mc who kill boss and got chicks,subaru achivement feel earnt rather than "oh wow i kill it in one hit"
4th everyone who havent watch re zero far also hate subaru,early on he is an anoying,arrogant,piece of crap but through pain and lost he became a more caring,mature person that is better than 99.99%of other isekai main charac
5th the show is rated high not only for subaru as a charac but also for how much thought put into the story,its kinda like the monogatari where a tiny detail/character could be a key plot point in later ep
Jun 14, 2021 10:41 AM
Aug 2019
Tbh, I think Subaru remains annoying throughout. But if you’ve got a sadistic side, that’ll give ya something else to enjoy throughout most of the show. It doesn’t present Subaru quite how I would like, but the amount of punishment dolled out to him is nonetheless satisfying lol.

Also, the three episode rule is just a common guideline. It doesn’t necessarily apply to every show. Like a show could have a horrible first 3 episodes but an amazing remaining 21 episodes, and you’d miss it if you abided by the three episode rule all the time.
Jun 14, 2021 10:43 AM
Mar 2021
Sandro8604 said:
Im sorry, but 3 episode rule is garbage, it can work with some shows that stays same all the time, but those who have some development like steins gate, HxH, re:Zero... are completly different and you can miss a lot of really good shows if you follow this rule.
Jun 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Feb 2021
Sandro8604 said:

I can relate to what you said as I originally watched 3eps and then dropped the show, thinking it was shit. I decided to watch it again and boy was I wrong. This show has some of the best character development I have ever seen, Subaru from season 1 and than season 2 is a crazy transition. This anime has become one of my favorites, gave it a solid 10. I'd would watch it, as I think you'll be missing out if you don't.

"𝘏𝘦𝘺, 𝘏𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘪... 𝘕𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘢 𝘸𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦."
⁻𝘕𝘢𝘯𝘢 𝘖𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘪
Jun 14, 2021 11:12 AM

Feb 2021
Sandro8604 said:
Dude watch it and then comeback don't ask questions and waste time. Truly slothful of you 🤦
Jun 14, 2021 11:34 AM

Aug 2020
Story, writing, world, characters etc are all great and not to mention it's way different from other isekais and way better. The show will slowly reveal info about subarus ability and the world with each season and it's almost impossible to tell whether a show is good or bad by the first 3 episodes u'll miss out on most of the good animes if u follow that rule
Jun 14, 2021 12:33 PM
May 2021
Sandro8604 said:
three eps isn’t nearly enough to rate an anime accurately, for me I say you should watch 6 eps in to an anime before dropping, Re:zero really gets interesting later on.
Jun 14, 2021 2:46 PM
Aug 2020
MotoMatt said:
If you don’t like the first 3 episodes then I’d say you gave it a fair shot. I do however find it to be one of the greatest shows of all time. The back story is amazing. I think it’s unnecessary to explain everything up front. Re:Zero is one of those shows that will have something happen, then go back and explain WHY it happened, and to me that makes a show much more enjoyable. The second season was amazing. I thought there was no way they could do better than the first season, but season 2 blew it out of the water. The emotional pull from the characters as well as the character development brings you much closer to the show. Seeing the weak overcome their struggles and seeing how everything got to be so horrible was a weird experience. I would love to see how Subaru is going to turn all these horrible events around in season 3. Subaru is kind of annoying at times but I think he’s a great character. The thing is he hides his weakness by acting overly confident but when he admits to being weak you feel it. Overall I think it’s just amazing writing as well as amazing execution.

That's not a fair shot in a show like this. The first three episodes suck lmao
Jun 14, 2021 2:48 PM
Jun 2017
temmie3damax said:
MotoMatt said:

That's not a fair shot in a show like this. The first three episodes suck lmao
The first 3 episodes don’t suck, and I agree it’s not enough, but it’s definitely more fair than not giving it a shot at all.
Jun 14, 2021 2:56 PM

Jul 2020
The 3 episode rule can only determine which shows are good or bad based on what the anime is about, how long it is, etc. Re:zero is one of those animes you can't use it for.

The first half is mostly light, SOL, comedy and the second half is much more edgy and scary.

You're better asking people whether animes get better later on. And if people say it get's worse, stays the same, or only gets a little better, then drop it.

Obviously, no ones forcing you to watch up to episode 12-16 of Re:zero(Thats about where it got dark for me atleast), but if you only watched 3 episodes of it, don't create an entire thread asking why people like it.

The reason you don't know why its special is because you haven't gotten even close to the special moments yet.

But if you do watch up to ep 12-16 and still don't like it, then you can give your complaints and drop it. Season 2 and season 2 part 2 aren't better imo. They're only better for the hardcore fans who really enjoy the anime and its characters, in which you probably don't.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jun 14, 2021 7:46 PM
Jul 2019
Honestly nothing for me. I found it decent watch but nothing groundbreaking. Some episodes were fun, others were boring. Some characters were good, others were cringe incarnate. It's just a good watch, but not great for me.
Jun 14, 2021 10:20 PM
Jan 2021
The three episode rule doesn’t apply to Re: Zero. It’s totally understandable that you wouldn’t get the hype for the show if you haven’t watched beyond at least episode seven. Subaru starts out very unlikable, and that’s by design. Part of what makes the show so good is watching his character develop.
Jun 14, 2021 10:57 PM

Aug 2018
As far as generic isekais go, Re:Zero is probably the least generic. First season has good pacing and lots of cliffhanger episodes that make you want to binge-watch. Character design is good. Rem is a good waifu. Subaru is an underdog and many people appreciate that type of character.
Jun 15, 2021 1:21 AM
Mar 2021
Same. I've watched Season 1. At first, I was hooked but after 12 episodes that shit became boring. For me before I starts disliking or trashing on a MC I wait for him to get his development kinda like how Boruto was a brat in beginning but now he's very mature. After watching Season 1 I didn't dislike Subaru as a MC but him not fighting or getting stronger irritated the fuck out of me. Like bro just practice and get stronger, I don't like to see you running away every time. Also, I plan to watch Season 2 to confirm if he develops more. Someday,I guess ?
Jun 15, 2021 6:01 AM
Jun 2020
The special thing is suffering of subaru(MC) and deaths.
Jun 15, 2021 6:20 AM

Dec 2018
Your mistake was to follow to 3 episodes rule. The entirety of season 1 is bad, there I said it. Season 2 is what made it jump from awful to one of the best isekai anime in existence
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Jun 15, 2021 6:34 AM
May 2021
E um anime perfeito adoro a história dela e quero mais temporadas
Jun 15, 2021 10:43 AM
Jan 2021
Character progression is one of the main things in this anime. It's hard to see that when you only give it 3 ep.
Jun 15, 2021 10:50 AM

Jul 2020

And that's a good thing because he was supposed to be meant as a hateable and one of the most cringeist character in this anime but he really develops during the Saving Rem arc.
I tried it 5 months ego for the first time and followed the 3 eps rule of anime (you can say a show is good or bad by only watching first 3 eps; my friends told me), thought it was another Isekai (with waifu, cat girls, loli) rated it 3 and moved on.

It starts off super slow and boring but it really gets better.His development is one of the best I've seen in an isekai.He's also very realistic.You may or may not start to like him in about ep15+

I think there is an explanation in somewhere around season 2,
Anifreak_X said:
Same. I've watched Season 1. At first, I was hooked but after 12 episodes that shit became boring. For me before I starts disliking or trashing on a MC I wait for him to get his development kinda like how Boruto was a brat in beginning but now he's very mature. After watching Season 1 I didn't dislike Subaru as a MC but him not fighting or getting stronger irritated the fuck out of me. Like bro just practice and get stronger, I don't like to see you running away every time. Also, I plan to watch Season 2 to confirm if he develops more. Someday,I guess ?

He was supposed to be that way.He's not your generic "Never give up" type of protagonist.Maybe it's just not for you.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 15, 2021 12:27 PM
Jan 2021
Sandro8604 said:
As one of the biggest rezero fans out there heres what I gotta say. Please keep watching!! In my opinion I loved the show beginning to end but I've heard a ton of people hated the show until a certain episode. I'm not gonna say which because if u do decide to give it a shot I want u to experience this on ur own. You'll know when that episode happens because its so good yet so simple. When they watch the episode they say that their opinion about the show was wrong. And then when you watch season 2 you start to fall in love with the show. Basically all I'm saying is at least finished season 1 (which is a long task but I think you could make it) and then if you don't like it then don't watch season 2. But if you do, season 2 will be well worth it to watch.
Jun 15, 2021 7:20 PM

Jan 2021
If you can, watch until episode 15. By then it should be clear what your decision is. I’ve watched Re:Zero (season 1) a total of 3 times mainly because of episode 15 (and because it’s one of my favorites).
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Jun 15, 2021 8:13 PM
Apr 2017
i think you can drop it, if you already watch 3 eps. and think this is just random isekai i'm pretty sure this anime not for you, and high score doesn't always mean good for everyone.
i know that because i've been tried to get into steins;gate because lot of people said it's a masterpiece for 5 year by watching first 6 episode every few year and still can't like it.
Jun 15, 2021 8:21 PM

Apr 2021
It's kind of your average isekai but much more dark

You’re not alone i don't like Subaru either

I recommend finishing s1 and deciding if u are going to continue or not
Jun 15, 2021 8:56 PM
Dec 2019
Personally to me it was a combination of nostalgia, the feeling it gave me watching it, Return by death, the amazing ost, the characters, and oh god the amazing writing.
Although I can understand why it isn’t for everybody and that’s okay.
Jun 16, 2021 8:08 AM
Mar 2021
Scordolo said:

And that's a good thing because he was supposed to be meant as a hateable and one of the most cringeist character in this anime but he really develops during the Saving Rem arc.
I tried it 5 months ego for the first time and followed the 3 eps rule of anime (you can say a show is good or bad by only watching first 3 eps; my friends told me), thought it was another Isekai (with waifu, cat girls, loli) rated it 3 and moved on.

It starts off super slow and boring but it really gets better.His development is one of the best I've seen in an isekai.He's also very realistic.You may or may not start to like him in about ep15+

I think there is an explanation in somewhere around season 2,
Anifreak_X said:

He was supposed to be that way.He's not your generic "Never give up" type of protagonist.Maybe it's just not for you.

It's not like I like MC saying I'm not gonna give up every five minutes. I just wanted him to fight like I remember he was training with that old man so, I thought he'll probably learn to fight small by small. I'm all for developing that's why I'm gonna watch Season 2 too.
Jun 16, 2021 11:24 AM

Dec 2019
people hype it up so bad just because it’s a decent anime in a terrible genre, I do think the first season is good but not the best thing to come out of anime
Jun 16, 2021 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
I struggled myself as well with the show. I seen the score, heard all of the praise, and still had a hard time watching it. I didn’t disagree with what people were saying about the show and how great it was. I could kinda see what they were talking about. I think Subaru’s character was the thing I had a hard time getting past initially.

He just wasn’t likable to me. I can see now that was the point(Maybe I was tainted by all of the other MCs before him). On a scale from like to neutral to dislike he was either neutral or disliked for me in season 1. I hated him for 1/3 of the first season(I am pretty sure any anime watcher knows which part I am talking about). It wasn’t until season 2 I started to like him at one point. After that clicked I think the show got better for me. I would say stick it out. All the other praise I think is warranted. Just need to give Subaru time and I think it will work out for you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

32 by KuyaC »»
Today, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.