Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2021 5:55 PM

Apr 2020
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Chaden can make a grown man cry... #KappaPogChamp

asapabriMay 8, 2021 6:12 PM

It's not an anime,
without a beach episode.

- William Shakespeare
May 8, 2021 6:04 PM

Mar 2014
Can Oden Hold 1 Hour?! And we finally learned about the pact dealt with Orochi & Kaido with Oden... I gotta say... Oden is the best man here, and Orochi is such a fokin dic... Shinobu tells that Oden has protected all of them in this past 5 years.
What will happen next?!?!?!
Gotta wait another week for this master(one)piece!
May 8, 2021 6:30 PM
Dec 2018
extremely weak episode this week. i wish they would let the bad staff handle less important episodes.
May 8, 2021 6:32 PM

Nov 2016
GOATDEN

Stuff like this has desensitized me to inhuman feats in other series. Man of steel, who?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 8, 2021 6:58 PM

Jul 2007
This episode perhaps verifies one thing that was much talk amongst the manga fandom.

Shinobu is clearly not the Traitor

That being said, this episode was more a recap episode with more focus on Shinobu's speech. I guess its fine but I understand where they are going with this. The studio is trying to meet the pacing of the manga in terms of the chapter cliffhangers form page 6 to the end but as a result, trying to adapt nearly half of a chapter is difficult and with not many action piece moments, it was clear they had to had have some fill in.

Also I don't know if its just me but the moment of Shinobu's speech was a bit more emotional in the manga then how it was depicted here. Just my 2 cents. I really enjoyed how the panneling protrayed Shinobu screams and anger towards the people calling him a fool of a lord. As it cuts to Oden in the pot boiling. Also I like the translation of "fool of a lord" it sounds more appropriate for an ancient japanese tale like setting. The dialect i mean. By the time you get to the last page, you can really feel the shivers down your spine. It was a powerful emotional moment. Part of the fill in to this episode may have lessoned the impact of that i guess.

It seems like next episode is going to be the one we been truly waiting for.

Mod Edit: Added image/spoiler tag; please only one screenshot/hide plot details.
anime-primeMay 9, 2021 3:09 PM

May 8, 2021 7:05 PM
May 2020
Cha D.En...

Oden was the manliest man ...

Oh , Oden wouldn't be Oden , if it wasnt boiled !!

Btw 4.9/5 episode , the animation looks OKAY but the pacing was SUPERRR great...
One Piece is bad, really
May 8, 2021 7:23 PM

Jan 2020
ngl I thought the pacing felt a little bit slow compared to usual but I'm glad Shinobu got an awesome moment/speech. Chaden is truly on another level and I did enjoy this overall

I'm really looking forward to the content next week
ManWildMay 8, 2021 7:26 PM

May 8, 2021 7:28 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was freaking awesome. Toei did a good job.
May 8, 2021 7:48 PM

May 2020
Bro this episode made me cry and I have no idea why
May 8, 2021 7:56 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
While the pacing felt slow to me, personally speaking....I do appreciate how these events have been expanded in the anime especially Shinobu's moment. Toei is still handling these episodes pretty well in delivering the emotions.

Oden is admirable to the highest extent and the next episode is truly what I've been waiting for to see. I hope Toei delivers for the next one and I doubt I could handle the impact of that one...
May 8, 2021 8:09 PM

Mar 2020
I actually thought that was lava, realized today that it was hot burning oil in the pot, but damn even that must be really hard to sit in and at the same time, holding his vassals above his head is just magnificent. Shinobu's speech finally cleared up everything about Oden to us and all of Wano's people, he truly was protecting Wano all along even if it was making him look like a silly lord, that's the love for his people, it's absolutely amazing.
May 8, 2021 8:16 PM
Jun 2020
Brace yourselves guys, the next episode is titled: "Oden wouldn't be Oden... if it wasn't boiled"
Nothing more to write.
May 8, 2021 8:27 PM
Dec 2019
wtf. This was really sad to watch. Poor Oden-sama had to suffer so much T_T.
yo
May 8, 2021 8:48 PM

Feb 2021
i hope toei doesnt use the star/ shining diamond affect in fights to much because, studio perrot was using it a lot in black clover and it didnt look nice so i hope toei doesnt do the same.
jaguar xf 0 to 60 times
May 8, 2021 9:32 PM

Aug 2019
One of the worst episodes in Wano in terms of pacing. Why did Toei think that dragging out only 10 pages from the manga was a good idea?

Not to mention that we know Oden is dead already so how is dragging out his death supposed to make an impact when we know the end result?
May 8, 2021 9:37 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Good episode.

Sweet_Escape said:
One of the worst episodes in Wano in terms of pacing. Why did Toei think that dragging out only 10 pages from the manga was a good idea?

Not to mention that we know Oden is dead already so how is dragging out his death supposed to make an impact when we know the end result?

It is supposed to be an hour of suffering, the only way they can sell the painful slow time that paces for Oden is by slowing the pacing.
May 8, 2021 11:20 PM

Oct 2017
They slowed down the pacing in this episode but it's fine. We get to suffer more watching Oden suffering :)
May 8, 2021 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
JohanJ04 said:
Brace yourselves guys, the next episode is titled: "Oden wouldn't be Oden... if it wasn't boiled"
Nothing more to write.

Toei staff doing a little trollling
May 9, 2021 12:09 AM
Aug 2020
I see shinobu in a different light now. Speaking up like that is a very courageous act. Also an outrageous respect for oden. In thr preview, he was seen smiling. I think his death is in next episode?
May 9, 2021 2:04 AM

Jul 2015
Got a lot more respect for Oden hearing about the deals he made with Orochi and Kaido and seeing him not only stand in a boiling pot but also carry his retainers on top of him.

May 9, 2021 2:09 AM

Jan 2010
They really don't want to give Kiku justice with the adaptation. From the wrong va, to the wrong color scheme of her/his clothes.
Supposed to wear something dark during the final attack to Kaido and the execution, but they sticked with the yellow kimono he had during the beginning of the flashback.

May 9, 2021 2:54 AM
Dec 2018
"Oden wouldn't be oden if it isn't boiled"

So this was the reference
May 9, 2021 4:09 AM
Jan 2021
Unmasked89 said:
They really don't want to give Kiku justice with the adaptation. From the wrong va, to the wrong color scheme of her/his clothes.
Supposed to wear something dark during the final attack to Kaido and the execution, but they sticked with the yellow kimono he had during the beginning of the flashback.

what is wrong with the VA and who tf cares about her outfit
May 9, 2021 4:19 AM

Jul 2013
The next episode is going to be hard to watch
May 9, 2021 4:36 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Oden's heart was too big for his own good T_T
May 9, 2021 4:39 AM
Nov 2019
last moments of the episode lefts me in tears .. :(

May 9, 2021 5:11 AM

Jul 2016
NaughtyNoddy said:
The next episode is going to be hard to watch

I want Orochi to get very messed up.
May 9, 2021 5:22 AM

Apr 2018
Shinobu's words made me tear up, she's a real one.
The next episode title was perfect

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 9, 2021 5:51 AM
Aug 2018
Too much oden, and still not back to luffy's story. I mean Oden's life didn't have a big impact on Luffy being the pirate king and Oda and Toei at this point
just extend the story instead of finishing onepiece because there are still many important things related to pirates such as the story of pirate rocks and about the tenryubito
RkeinoMay 9, 2021 5:56 AM
May 9, 2021 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
the execution of oden kinda too strong to take all the pain of losing the country it is finally the people realized that oden were saving the people who were kidnapped.
May 9, 2021 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
Oden Piece. That's all.

Wano is amazing.
May 9, 2021 9:24 AM
Feb 2021
how is Momonusuke meant to even come close to what Oden's done
May 9, 2021 9:46 AM
May 2019
From a manga reader and last moments of the episode lefts me in tears :(
The next episode will be tough to watch !
May 9, 2021 2:45 PM

Jul 2007
Rkeino said:
Too much oden, and still not back to luffy's story. I mean Oden's life didn't have a big impact on Luffy being the pirate king and Oda and Toei at this point
just extend the story instead of finishing onepiece because there are still many important things related to pirates such as the story of pirate rocks and about the tenryubito

Are you really that dense, ODEN's Legend is not only tied to Roger's past, the pirate king him self but also the Kozuki Family which will no doubt place a massive role later in the story and THAT Kozuki family will be a big part of Lluffy's story as well. Not to mention when eventually the plot connects to ROX and Toki from the void century? can you not see all of this coming together. I mean try and think a little, and use your brain instead of just writing this off as some inconsequental flashback that has nothing to do with the plot of one piece.

Oda is literally setting the foundation for the "END", in these stories but you must be to blind to see it.
ArtimesGamerMay 9, 2021 2:50 PM

May 9, 2021 5:42 PM

May 2014
Another heart-aching ep. I saw when compared to the manga ch. They didn't even use a whole ch for this ep. I felt that the ep. was dragged. Nevertheless, they were able to drag in an excellent entertaining way. Since his retainers are alive, I can only assume that Oden-sama will sacrifice himself for his retainers, family, and people. I can't wait to hear his last words. I bet they will be epic, just like Whitebeard's words.¨

Also, this ep. was more heat touching than the previous ep, especially with that sad music. One could feel the sadness of Shinobu's voice. So I think, in that perspective, the animators did good work.

Next ep. going to be good and interesting. I hope we get to know more about Toki's power before the arc ends.
mangalicker94May 9, 2021 5:52 PM
May 9, 2021 5:45 PM

May 2014
link9us said:
Rkeino said:
Too much oden, and still not back to Luffy's story. I mean, Oden's life didn't have a significant impact on Luffy being the pirate king and Oda and Toei at this point
just extend the story instead of finishing onepiece because there are still many important things related to pirates, such as the story of pirate rocks and about the tenryubito

Are you really that dense, ODEN's Legend is not only tied to Roger's past, the pirate king him self but also the Kozuki Family which will no doubt place a massive role later in the story and THAT Kozuki family will be a big part of Lluffy's story as well. Not to mention when eventually the plot connects to ROX and Toki from the void century? can you not see all of this coming together. I mean try and think a little, and use your brain instead of just writing this off as some inconsequental flashback that has nothing to do with the plot of one piece.

Oda is literally setting the foundation for the "END", in these stories but you must be too blind to see it.

I totally agree with you. It's all connected. To not see that, one must really not paid any attention to this series. That's why I love Oda's work. One piece is a big puzzle where each piece gets connected as the story progress. It's like Oda knew how he wanted to end this series. He had the end in his mind and built the whole story from there. It's like watching a mystery movie where all the puzzle pieces get connected at the end. xD
May 9, 2021 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
Rkeino said:

L

You're underestimating how important the oden flashback is

May 9, 2021 5:54 PM

May 2014
brazzersfinest said:
how is Momonusuke meant even to come close to what Oden's done

Still early to talk about Monomosuke's contribution towards the Wano country, but just like Shirahoshi and many others, he will be a great ally of the Straw Hat pirate group.
May 9, 2021 5:56 PM

May 2014
absideonx said:
I see Shinobu in a different light now. Speaking up like that is a very courageous act. Also, outrageous respect for Oden. In the preview, he was seen smiling. I think his death is in the next episode?

Tbh. I thought she was the spy in the beginning, but I highly doubt that now. I have a different view of her and actually think she is an ally.
May 9, 2021 5:59 PM

May 2014
DruMzTV said:
extremely weak episode this week. i wish they would let the bad staff handle less important episodes.

Really? I think they did a great job with animating this ep, though the pacing was quite slow. Nevertheless, the pain Oden and Shinobu felt was shown to the viewers, us, in a very good way.
May 9, 2021 8:39 PM

Jul 2020
Kanjuro is not the traitor. Don't doubt boy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2021 9:07 PM

Jul 2013
Solid episode which again showed how crazy Orochi and Kaido are. At least now we got the full context what actually happened after Oden attacked Orochi. Can you imagine being Oden coming back from your journey with Roger, hearing about all the things that happened in the meantime, making your way to Orochi and with all your rage you can't make him pay because of all the kidnapped people?

That's the absolute worst. Sure, you could say Oden was naive to believe in Orochis and Kaidos words (what he definitely was), but it's still a decision no one could make so easily.

I'm glad Shinobu was the one who finally told the truth to everyone. I got so triggered by the words of all these clueless people who are just to dumb to understand that something was wrong.

Oden is just crazy. It's hard enough trying to resist the boiling oil but he also has everyone on his back?

I have the feeling even "if" Oden would manage to survive the 1 hour Orochi would just break his promise again like before.

May 9, 2021 10:16 PM
Jan 2021
It was a fine episode. People of the Wano finally learns the truth. Oden makes the ultimate sacrifice for his followers. Next episode is going to be hard to watch.
May 9, 2021 10:23 PM

Nov 2019
Was crying the entire episode 🥺😫😭
May 10, 2021 12:22 AM
Jul 2017
I miss seeing Boa Hancock. She and Luffy were perfect for each other. I wanted them to get married and have kids together.
May 10, 2021 3:54 AM

Mar 2015
Such an intense episode.. so much hate for Orochi!!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 10, 2021 4:19 AM

Jul 2007
Kaido maybe a terrifying Villian in the story but at least he has Morals and pride unlike orochi who is just a true heartless, twisted selfcentered piece of trash that would probably slaughter a child with out any remorse. When his death comes, it will be a SUPREME victory and no ammount of emotional backstory or what ever will ever redeem that "snake" in my eyes.

May 10, 2021 4:24 AM

Jan 2010
YoungsterLiam53 said:
Unmasked89 said:

what is wrong with the VA and who tf cares about her outfit

1) the va is a woman, probably because the studio didn't even know she was a "he", when they chose the va. And... no, being a trans doesn't justify that in any way. She is biologichally a male, an adult male: she had to have a male voice actor. Sure they could choose one with a bit of feminine voice, but a regular female... wrong!

2) of course not many would care about an outfit color, but it's about faithfulness: adapting wrong colors denotes scarce attention from the studio. It's not just about colour: Kiku wears a different kimono in this part of the flashback in the manga, while in the anime they made her wear always the same outfit for the entire flashback. Ok, you don't care, while I do. The point is still: it's an objective lack of attention from the adaptors.

link9us said:
Kaido maybe a terrifying Villian in the story but at least he has Morals and pride unlike orochi who is just a true heartless, twisted selfcentered piece of trash that would probably slaughter a child with out any remorse. When his death comes, it will be a SUPREME victory and no ammount of emotional backstory or what ever will ever redeem that "snake" in my eyes.

What?! Morals and pride? The one who won the fight with a trick? The one who broke the promise?
The one who, next episode, is going to break another promise (probably)?

Actually if had to choose the least bad between the two, it'd be Orochi: he's terrible, but at least it's not entirely his fault. He has been persecuted for no reason since he was a child: such a life can twist someone's soul.
Unmasked89May 10, 2021 4:38 AM
May 10, 2021 5:18 AM

Jul 2013
Unmasked89 said:

1) the va is a woman, probably because the studio didn't even know she was a "he", when they chose the va. And... no, being a trans doesn't justify that in any way. She is biologichally a male, an adult male: she had to have a male voice actor. Sure they could choose one with a bit of feminine voice, but a regular female... wrong!

that's nothing unusual. even luffy - who is and identifies as male - has a female VA.

Kiku identifies herself as female and most people don't even question it so there's no reason to think a "male voice" would be the better fit.
May 10, 2021 5:35 AM

Jan 2010
Simar said:
Unmasked89 said:

that's nothing unusual. even luffy - who is and identifies as male - has a female VA.

Kiku identifies herself as female and most people don't even question it so there's no reason to think a "male voice" would be the better fit.

Luffy is an exception and it's part of the character. It's not meant to confuse his gender. It's just to make him particular. Nobody'd mistake him for a woman. Choosing a female va for him was a precise direction with precise reason.
For Kiku it's just a mistake: they thought she was a woman=> they picked a completely regular female va.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 403 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AnimeRuleDWorld - May 29, 2009

78 by gannoncannon55 »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 845 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

19 by FedeMetal »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 843 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

16 by FedeMetal »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 842 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

20 by FedeMetal »»
Today, 10:01 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.