Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 4, 2021 12:51 AM
Jan 2020
After JJK , MHA , Black Clovers , Chainsaw Man . It seems like no new big battle shonens are coming out for shonen jump

I mean Candy Flurry came out but its kinda werid and kaiju no 8 came out but its look similar to AOT
May 4, 2021 4:11 AM

Jul 2020
If the hype still maintains it's not dead lmao.Where did you get the idea from?
Chainsaw man's last publish was around 2020 and part 2 is on the way.
These battle shounen are not from shounen jump but are still battle shounen and is released fairly recently

https://myanimelist.net/manga/114745/Blue_Lock
Blue Lock-A sports Manga which is based on Football.It doesn't depend on your usual power of friendship trope.The characters have to find their ego in order to become the best striker in the world.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/126287/Sousou_no_Frieren

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End-Idk about this one but it's also a battle shounen and it is also released fairly rrecently and has won many awards.

Tokyo revengers-https://myanimelist.net/manga/104565/Tokyo%E5%8D%8DRevengers
It's about a boy who wants to save his ex.I'm not going into details as it may give out explicit spoilers.

All of the shounen I've mentioned are very recent and therefore,the battle shounen genre is not dying.

P.S battle shounen don't automatically get popular the year it is released.it takes at least a couple of years for people to talk about it.It's very rare for battle shounens to get popular the year it is released as they easily get hated on.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 4, 2021 4:32 AM
Jan 2020
Scordolo said:
If the hype still maintains it's not dead lmao.Where did you get the idea from?
Chainsaw man's last publish was around 2020 and part 2 is on the way.
These battle shounen are not from shounen jump but are still battle shounen and is released fairly recently

https://myanimelist.net/manga/114745/Blue_Lock
Blue Lock-A sports Manga which is based on Football.It doesn't depend on your usual power of friendship trope.The characters have to find their ego in order to become the best striker in the world.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/126287/Sousou_no_Frieren

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End-Idk about this one but it's also a battle shounen and it is also released fairly rrecently and has won many awards.

Tokyo revengers-https://myanimelist.net/manga/104565/Tokyo%E5%8D%8DRevengers
It's about a boy who wants to save his ex.I'm not going into details as it may give out explicit spoilers.

All of the shounen I've mentioned are very recent and therefore,the battle shounen genre is not dying.

P.S battle shounen don't automatically get popular the year it is released.it takes at least a couple of years for people to talk about it.It's very rare for battle shounens to get popular the year it is released as they easily get hated on.

Most of those aren't actual battle shonens tho
May 4, 2021 5:02 AM
Jul 2013
No. Its not dying. Sadly its not even required to be original in order for a battle shounen to be popular. Black Clover and JJK are blatant copies of old animes such as Naruto and Bleach. Kimetsu no Yaiba is literally a rehashed version of Bleach.

New battle shounens will pop up soon, don't worry. :)
May 4, 2021 5:08 AM
Apr 2021
Armados said:
No. Its not dying. Sadly its not even required to be original in order for a battle shounen to be popular. Black Clover and JJK are blatant copies of old animes such as Naruto and Bleach. Kimetsu no Yaiba is literally a rehashed version of Bleach.

Can you explain how Kimetsu no Yaiba is just a rehashed version of Bleach? I can't think of any obvious similarities between the two series, other than that the main characters both use swords.
May 4, 2021 6:23 AM

Feb 2016
pixelander said:
It seems like no new big battle shonens are coming out for shonen jump

Are you a prophet or something?
その目だれの目?
May 4, 2021 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, I feel like battle shounen are dying. There used to be great ones like Gintama, Rurouni Kenshin, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, HXH. But nowdays, hardly any good ones are coming out.
May 4, 2021 6:50 AM

Jun 2014
I don't think they are, but I really wish that all battle shounen would disappear. I wish that all isekai would disappear as well.

May 4, 2021 7:28 AM

Dec 2018
wtf are you even spouting? "After JJK , MHA , Black Clovers , Chainsaw Man", isn't that enough proof that battle shounen clearly isn't dying? Or are you foretelling the future? What does "it seems" even mean, it's barely half a year since CSM ended, and most other manga you've mentioned is releasing. What were you on when you posted this? Tell me if I misunderstood your post.
. . .
May 4, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2013
skynet5c said:
Armados said:

Can you explain how Kimetsu no Yaiba is just a rehashed version of Bleach? I can't think of any obvious similarities between the two series, other than that the main characters both use swords.

Hmm... where do I begin?

The entire interaction between the MC and the antagonist is made through the need to save a girl the MC is connected to - Bleach - > Rukia -> Orihime, Kimetsu no Yaiba -> Nezuko.

The antagonist is extremely overpowered, yet avoids combat due to plot convenience. They instead send an army of minions, with numeric ranks dictating their strength, to "kill the MC and his friends or delay them" - Bleach = Espadas, Kimetsu - Kizuki.

To combat said minions, the MC has a secondary group of powerful individuals, that will oppose said minions, that their entire goal is to kill the antagonist, yet they aren't capable of doing so - Bleach -> Gotei 13 captains, Kimetsu -> Hashiras.

The hashiras are extremely gimmicky just like the Gotei 13 captains. They are there just to carry the MC to the end goal.

Now let's look at the entire power system in general - Bleach has shikais and bankais, but the entire powerscaling is a mess and makes absolutely no sense. Same could be said about Kimetsu - all of the stances are literally just visual effects. Just because Tanjirou claims he does some water stance doesn't mean water is actually being generated, its just a visual effect that indicates what his movement represents. Like Bleach, the powerscaling in this series is a mess. Characters jump from not being able to kill regular demons easily to killing Kizukis with ease, the entire numbering system is stupid as fodder often overpowers the strongest Kizukis for "plot" and so on.

Both antagonists - Muzan and Aizen, could literally go on forever, by keeping on creating more and more overpowered minions to fight for them, but they don't do that due to "plot". Both are literally more or less immortal, have an infinite arsenal of possibilites, yet the MC is conviniently the way to stop them because reasons.

I can continue this with more similarities, but I believe you get the point at this point. Its way too similar to just be a coincidence, let alone the fact the author of Kimetsu uses plenty of gimmicks Kubo used (which weren't good to begin with) throughout the story, that other shounen mangas tend to not implement.
May 4, 2021 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
You're giving me the impression that these series have just ended 😂. Jujutsu Kaisen just came out recently and Black Clover and MHA are still ongoing. Although MHA will be coming to an end pretty soon from what I've heard.

Armados said:

I've never really understood the mindset that something has to be wholly original to be good. I also don't know why people make the assumption that battle shounen is the only genre that is guilty of borrowing ideas from other shows. Genres like romance inside and outside revolve the same basic concept of someone finding love.
removed-userMay 4, 2021 8:36 AM
May 4, 2021 8:49 AM
Jul 2013
TheFireNinja said:
You're giving me the impression that these series have just ended 😂. Jujutsu Kaisen just came out recently and Black Clover and MHA are still ongoing. Although MHA will be coming to an end pretty soon from what I've heard.

Armados said:

I've never really understood the mindset that something has to be wholly original to be good. I also don't know why people make the assumption that battle shounen is the only genre that is guilty of borrowing ideas from other shows. Genres like romance inside and outside revolve the same basic concept of someone finding love.

Its not necessarily a problem that only belongs to battle shounens. Animes in general copy-paste way too much these days. You don't necessarily have to original in order for the series to be good, however, when most things feel the same, originality does add another layer of enjoyment. I don't see the appeal of having 1000 characters wanting to protect their beloved ones because X, it becomes stale over time. Predictable plot is also a downside for many stories, as knowing what would happen prior to events happening makes people lose interest.
May 4, 2021 9:17 AM
Apr 2021
Armados said:

The entire interaction between the MC and the antagonist is made through the need to save a girl the MC is connected to - Bleach - > Rukia -> Orihime, Kimetsu no Yaiba -> Nezuko.

Hmm, the first few actual battles in KnY had nothing to do with saving Nezuko though. I've only watched up to ep 8 though so can't comment.

Armados said:

The antagonist is extremely overpowered, yet avoids combat due to plot convenience. They instead send an army of minions, with numeric ranks dictating their strength, to "kill the MC and his friends or delay them" - Bleach = Espadas, Kimetsu - Kizuki.

This is a standard trope in almost all fiction.

Armados said:

To combat said minions, the MC has a secondary group of powerful individuals, that will oppose said minions, that their entire goal is to kill the antagonist, yet they aren't capable of doing so - Bleach -> Gotei 13 captains, Kimetsu -> Hashiras.

The hashiras are extremely gimmicky just like the Gotei 13 captains. They are there just to carry the MC to the end goal.

Well, if the other characters were capable of beating the big bad by themselves, then what even is the point of having the MC?

Armados said:

Now let's look at the entire power system in general - Bleach has shikais and bankais, but the entire powerscaling is a mess and makes absolutely no sense. Same could be said about Kimetsu - all of the stances are literally just visual effects. Just because Tanjirou claims he does some water stance doesn't mean water is actually being generated, its just a visual effect that indicates what his movement represents. Like Bleach, the powerscaling in this series is a mess. Characters jump from not being able to kill regular demons easily to killing Kizukis with ease, the entire numbering system is stupid as fodder often overpowers the strongest Kizukis for "plot" and so on.

Again, I've only seen 8 eps of KnY so can't really comment, but lots of shounen have messed up powerscaling, so this is hardly a similarity.

Armados said:

Both antagonists - Muzan and Aizen, could literally go on forever, by keeping on creating more and more overpowered minions to fight for them, but they don't do that due to "plot". Both are literally more or less immortal, have an infinite arsenal of possibilites, yet the MC is conviniently the way to stop them because reasons.

Can't comment on this, but the MC being "special" in that only he is able to defeat the big bad is common to almost all shounen fiction and is a common trope outside of shounen too.

Armados said:

I can continue this with more similarities, but I believe you get the point at this point. Its way too similar to just be a coincidence, let alone the fact the author of Kimetsu uses plenty of gimmicks Kubo used (which weren't good to begin with) throughout the story, that other shounen mangas tend to not implement.

You've not convinced me.
May 4, 2021 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
Tbh I don't care much for Shonen anymore. If it dies, then so be it. One Piece and HxH will forever live on in my heart.
May 4, 2021 10:15 AM

Jan 2020
I mean they have to match the popularity of one piece, naruto, bleach, etc. from the past and that isn't easy at all

May 4, 2021 11:06 AM
Jan 2020
Preachee said:
wtf are you even spouting? "After JJK , MHA , Black Clovers , Chainsaw Man", isn't that enough proof that battle shounen clearly isn't dying? Or are you foretelling the future? What does "it seems" even mean, it's barely half a year since CSM ended, and most other manga you've mentioned is releasing. What were you on when you posted this? Tell me if I misunderstood your post.
Preachee said:

Authors are running outbid ideas for battle shonen, most new gen battle shonen just seem like old washed up versions of old battle shonens
May 4, 2021 12:42 PM

Aug 2018
Lol it's been 2 whole weeks without a new battle shonen franchise eating up all the attention. Is shonen dead?
May 4, 2021 6:41 PM
Jan 2020
epidemia78 said:
Lol it's been 2 whole weeks without a new battle shonen franchise eating up all the attention. Is shonen dead?

I mean there hasn't been any hyped up newer battle shonens recently
May 4, 2021 6:57 PM

Mar 2021
Rest assured that there will be more. There are still people who exclusively consume battle Shonen's, there will always be a market for it.
i infrequently perish
May 4, 2021 8:50 PM

Feb 2020
Battle shounen won't die for a long time. Even if it dies tomorrow and we don't get any new ones, we still have YEARS of other battle shounens to watch and read.
May 4, 2021 9:35 PM

Dec 2018
pixelander said:
Preachee said:
Preachee said:

Authors are running outbid ideas for battle shonen, most new gen battle shonen just seem like old washed up versions of old battle shonens

That makes more sense than the original post. That's also not what I had in mind when thinking of 'dying'.

This type of threads have been discussed many times before. No it doesn't need originality to be good. Many popular shounen manga have at least decent execution, and honestly what's the point of watching battle shounens in the first place anyway? Personally I'd say it's just to have fun, not deeply evoked, and if it's executed well enough, idrc about originality. I had plenty of fun with JJK and at times with MHA first 2 seasons, and these shows aren't even original to begin with.

Of course it's fair to complain about the lack of creativity in WSJ. But a lot of conventional shounen archetypes don't wear off, because they're still fun to watch/read, unlike isekai.
. . .
May 4, 2021 11:29 PM
Jun 2020
beyond Shonen Jump it seems strong as ever
Nissan 350Z
May 5, 2021 7:24 AM

Dec 2020
wait huh aren't jjk, mha, and csm ongoing ones rn? isn't that proof that its Not dying?
May 5, 2021 8:45 PM

Sep 2020
not until stonk ocean released and csm announced
May 5, 2021 10:20 PM

Jul 2020
Spy x Family is a trending shounen you forgot. One Piece is still going strong. Some of the shows you mentioned still hold a dedicated fanbase while they don't seem like they'll reach a conclusion for a while (except maybe Black Clover but I'm not familar with that series other then the anime stopping).

Edit: I forgot you said battle shounen but I still hold my opinion

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

23 by Zedlin »»
26 seconds ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

38 by Zedlin »»
2 minutes ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

10 by nishant0 »»
6 minutes ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

23 by Zedlin »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

17 by Zedlin »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.