Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 19, 2021 9:08 AM

Jul 2015
After recently rewatching Majo no Tabitabii reading @Railey2 's thread, I noticed what went wrong and how Elaina became such narcissistic and self-centered person.
The answer is simple. It's all fault of Flan, who completely f*cked up in her role as a master in the very first episode.

When Flan accepted Elaina as her pupil, she already had a natural talent and was quite proficient with magic, but to her disappointment Elaina was tasked only with chores like cooking and cleaning instead of honing her magic skills.
Eventually, after a month or so of pouting, Flan decides to finally teach her magic.
Flan teaches Elaina a lesson by combat. She is still very proficient in magic already, but still no match for Flan. Elaina is utterly defeated.

So far, I think it was obvious what was happening. Flan was teaching Elaina humility, modesty and patience, which is also her duty to teach. Title of Witch grants a lot of privileges and power and it requires responsibility.
So far so good. But the problem is what happens next.

Elaina is humiliated and breaks down in tears. The gap in power is obvious as well as the fact, that she still has much to learn.
So, what does Flan the Stardust Witch does in this situation.?

Well, literally the worst thing that she could possibly do. She starts regret her actions, grovel before Elaina, try to cheer her up and the worst of all, she f*ckin graduates her.
By doing so, whole month of her teaching Elaina of humility felt like nothing more than abuse and true moral of it went through the window. At this point the perception, that the world revolves around her has been permanently cemented and we ended up with such a narcissistic protagonist. Even in final episode, we learned that the most traumatic experience for her was loosing her hair and on top of that she got laid with a clone of herself.

And this is not worst case scenario. I still prefer this, than boring Goody Two-shoes Mary Sue (I still have flashbacks after watching Symphogear).

Flan would really make a terrible parent. What are your thoughts about this? I wrote this from memory, so I might have committed a mistake somewhere.
PiromyslApr 19, 2021 9:13 AM

Apr 19, 2021 9:34 AM

Feb 2016
That thread by Railey is kinda trash tbh looking at their profile and dropped list. Another wannabe edgy elitist overthinking stuff and implying 21 century US standards on fantasy anime
Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right. Kindness and beauty can sometimes become cruel.
Apr 19, 2021 10:25 AM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
Haha funny witch flies to different places
Apr 19, 2021 10:39 AM
Mar 2021
I dont see a prablome with a mc being a bad person and narcisistic
Apr 19, 2021 10:43 AM
Nov 2020
sorry, but i found her character very interesting and real. i'm glad that she never acted like a typical shounen Mc
Apr 19, 2021 1:21 PM

Jul 2015
L0sMichal0s said:
That thread by Railey is kinda trash tbh looking at their profile and dropped list. Another wannabe edgy elitist overthinking stuff and implying 21 century US standards on fantasy anime
wow okay so I'm not really fond of posting on here anymore because SEE MY SIGNATURE, but I am gonna say something here because honestly fuck this show. So just to get this out of the way, you call me an edgy elitist who is overthinking, and that's probably a nice burn when you're 14 and think that you're owning people by calling them sjws, so I can be upfront here and tell you straight up that I don't care. So spare me your insults. Now, let's get to the interesting part.

Elaina is a sociopath who can watch someone being enslaved in front of her, who can be in a perfect position to help with little to no effort, and who still chooses to fly away because she's too lazy to take that suicidal slave on her broomstick and jet off. I believe that was episode two.

It's the equivalent of walking past a well with a drowning child in it and choosing not to throw down that rope. The show tries to pass it off as her being neutral, but watching someone drown while you're in a position to help isn't being neutral, it's just you being an awful person.

So you have a show with an MC who is a piece of shit and still enjoy the show. It's possible, some people can sorta just ignore it and when the show doesn't start justifying the shit they do you can accept it as just another facet of the show. We're following a flawed character, and that's fine. Like look at Yagami Light in Death Note, the guy is fucking mad, a mass murderer, but the show doesn't suck his dick for it, right? The show never pretends that he's good or neutral, the author understands what kind of character he's writing and you can feel that through the portrayal in the show. Or take Guts from Berserk, the dude is insane, but the author understands that he's insane and you understand that the author understands.

THE JOURNEY OF ELAINA DOESN'T DO THAT. Elaina lets children drown in wells and the show pretends that she isn't a maniac. You can tell that the author can't tell right from wrong at all, writing a complete psychopath without ever acknowledging that this is what she is. And that's what disgusts me about the whole thing. The complete lack of awareness and amorality that has to be involved in writing someone so evil without noticing and then asking me to enjoy this abomination of a character. I see this character doing all sorts of atrocious things and all I can think is "how disturbed do you have to be to write something like that and not even notice?" At that point it stops being entertaining and all that's left is me being horrified.

And what's better is the people who watch this show and don't catch on. If you're one of those folks then congrats, you're on the same level as the author and I'd rather not be in a room with you because holy shit. Like the guy above me. She's very interesting and real. What the fuck?

I swear, I gotta do an Elaina test. IF you watch that show and you don't notice that she's a monster, you're either insanely clueless or just disturbed, no middle ground.

ok. Got that out of my system, hoooly shit I hate this show. Worst thing i've ever seen.
/rant

@Piromysl thanks for the ping. I wouldn't try to look too hard for canon explanations why she is fucked in the head. The real answer is that she's a psycho because the author is a psycho and legitimately couldn't tell when he wrote her. I don't think he ever intended for her to be like that.
Railey2Jan 10, 2022 4:05 PM
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Apr 19, 2021 2:23 PM

Feb 2016
Railey2 said:
L0sMichal0s said:
wow okay so I'm not really fond of posting on here anymore because SEE MY SIGNATURE, but I am gonna say something here because honestly fuck this show. So just to get this out of the way, you call be an edgy elitist who is overthinking, and that's probably a nice burn when you're 14 and think that you're owning people by calling them sjws, so I can be upfront here and tell you straight up that I don't care. So spare me your insults. Now, let's get to the interesting part.

Elaina is a sociopath who can watch someone being enslaved in front of her, who can be in a perfect position to help with little to no effort, and who still chooses to fly away because she's too lazy to take that suicidal slave on her broomstick and jet off. I believe that was episode two.

It's the equivalent of walking past a well with a drowning child in it and choosing not to throw down that rope. The show tries to pass it off as her being neutral, but watching someone drown while you're in a position to help isn't being neutral, it's just you being an awful person.

So you have a show with an MC who is a piece of shit and still enjoy the show. It's possible, some people can sorta just ignore it and when the show doesn't start justifying the shit they do you can accept it as just another facet of the show. We're following a flawed character, and that's fine. Like look at Yagami Light in Death Note, the guy is fucking mad, a mass murderer, but the show doesn't suck his dick for it, right? The show never pretends that he's good or neutral, the author understands what kind of character he's writing and you can feel that through the portrayal in the show. Or take Guts from Berserk, the dude is insane, but the author understands that he's insane and you understand that the author understands.

THE JOURNEY OF ELAINA DOESN'T DO THAT. Elaina lets children drown in wells and the show pretends that she isn't a maniac. You can tell that the author can't tell right from wrong at all, writing a complete psychopath without ever acknowledging that this is what she is. And that's what disgusts me about the whole thing. The complete lack of awareness and amorality that has to be involved in writing someone so evil without noticing and then asking me to enjoy this abomination of a character. I see this character doing all sorts of atrocious things and all I can think is "how disturbed do you have to be to write something like that and not even notice?" At that point it stops being entertaining and all that's left is me being horrified.

And what's better is the people who watch this show and don't catch on. If you're one of those folks then congrats, you're on the same level as the author and I'd rather not be in a room with you because holy shit. Like the guy above me. She's very interesting and real. What the fuck?

I swear, I gotta do an Elaina test. IF you watch that show and you don't notice that she's a monster, you're either insanely clueless or just disturbed, no middle ground.

ok. Got that out of my system, hoooly shit I hate this show. Worst thing i've ever seen.
/rant

@Piromysl thanks for the ping. I wouldn't try to look too hard for canon explanations why she is fucked in the head. The real answer is that she's a psycho because the author is a psycho and legitimately couldn't tell when he wrote her. I don't think he ever intended for her to be like that.

i think you misunderstood the show and what is it about and yes her character is quite real because a lot of people just pretend nothing is happening they are bystanders and she said it herself too multiple times that she is a bystander. Also a lot of times its not your place to take actions or interfere. She is not god like being or president of the world. She is common wandering witch traveling trough the world. You are clearly overthinking it and trying to push 21 century US agenda and standards here where it doesnt belong at all. Not everything is supposed to go your way. There are dark, fucked up and unfair things just like in life.
Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right. Kindness and beauty can sometimes become cruel.
Apr 19, 2021 2:24 PM

Jan 2020
I think her current personality helped make her more engaging and enjoyable

Apr 19, 2021 3:30 PM
Aug 2020
Im on ep.5 and ive lost interest in this show because I do not like the type of person she is. On the one hand she is self centered but on the other hand its refreshing to see a main character like this and see how she handles situations. But it is difficult for me to enjoy this show as it and the world building around her is intriguing. Because she is the type of person i do not like. I intend to come back around to watching more of it. in hopes it gets better. but sofar my thoughts of it are, wasted potential.
Apr 19, 2021 4:56 PM
Apr 2021
I mean its kinda cliché seeing a character that helps everyone and gets their gratitude and etc. She Just wanted to travel, see the world as it really was and didn't interfered too much. Kinda reminded me of kino no tabi
Apr 19, 2021 5:13 PM
Jan 2021
Man, this is a story of an observer. Elaina is a traveler that tries to write her journey in the most natural way possible that's why she tries to interfere her subject as least as possible so that the story doesn't alter much from what would of happened if she's not there.
Apr 20, 2021 3:21 PM

Mar 2021
I think OP misunderstood the episodes where Elaina was in training. Flan was told by her mother to make her stay. She wanted to prevent her daughter to go on dangerous adventures. So Flan gave her absolutely boring tasks.
The Gods and Demons you fear and worship are as nothing to me!
May 22, 2021 11:47 PM

May 2017
L0sMichal0s said:
Railey2 said:
wow okay so I'm not really fond of posting on here anymore because SEE MY SIGNATURE, but I am gonna say something here because honestly fuck this show. So just to get this out of the way, you call be an edgy elitist who is overthinking, and that's probably a nice burn when you're 14 and think that you're owning people by calling them sjws, so I can be upfront here and tell you straight up that I don't care. So spare me your insults. Now, let's get to the interesting part.

/rant

i think you misunderstood the show and what is it about and yes her character is quite real because a lot of people just pretend nothing is happening they are bystanders and she said it herself too multiple times that she is a bystander. Also a lot of times its not your place to take actions or interfere. She is not god like being or president of the world. She is common wandering witch traveling trough the world. You are clearly overthinking it and trying to push 21 century US agenda and standards here where it doesnt belong at all. Not everything is supposed to go your way. There are dark, fucked up and unfair things just like in life.
I agree. the show was very explicit about how elaina is not some hero to save the day. she's just travelling and doesn't mettle with things that don't concern her. i reallyloved that concenpt because real life is often like this. for example, ill be on discord and often people will say that everyone hate them. sure i'll tell them i dont hate them, but it's not my job to make them feel better aboutthemselves. i don't know them. You can be a hero, obviously. but its at your own expense. and so this anime shows what its like to be a bystander. and i really liked how it portrayed it.
May 23, 2021 8:07 AM

Oct 2007
Railey2 said:
L0sMichal0s said:

letting children drown in wells?

in the flower story.. the town guard and his sister are already too far gone to be saved. The guy is poisoned, and the sister already turned into a plant. So it feels logical for Elaina to just get the hell out of there.

the slave story is a bit more of a gray area.. but there would be consequences on trying to help Nino... slavery looks like it's legal in that area.. so taking the slave would be stealing, shooting the bastard mayor with magic would be murder. And we don't even know if the broom could carry two people.
Jun 6, 2021 6:34 AM
May 2020
I'm not sure how the light novel depicts the characters, but in the manga the characters are drawn completely different from the anime.
1. Emil is much younger in the manga and completely unaware of the shady things done by the father.
2. Nino is in her twenties in the manga. And her treatment isn't as explicit.
3. The chief is the same pathetic bastard in the manga as well as anime.

These details make a huge difference since Elaina is initially less aware of Nina's situation. Even until she departs from the village, she isn't aware of the reality of Nina's suffering. When she remembers the story ending after leaving the village, she realizes the cruelty of the actions surrounding Nina, she is scared to go back to the village because it might already be too late since Nina might have already committed suicide.

Even for Eliana herself, she is still unaware of the dark side of the world and how cruel people can be. She doesn't have the emotional maturity to respond to such situations, given that she has mostly spent her life studying to become a witch. Despite Eliana's capability she doesn't actively go out of her way to help people because she had promised her mom to stay away from trouble. Eliana is not perfect, and the story revolves around her journey...…that theme entails the good and bad aspects of the world.

Although it is disheartening to see this flaw with a main character, she is still restricted from acting as she wishes, she is only one person and can't possibly go and save every person she encounters.
Jun 21, 2021 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
She is neither narcistic nor TOO self centered. She acts much more human than your next generic shounen protagonist does.
In some situations she wanted to help, but she knew what consequences would follow if she does or she knew that the situations would be dangerous to her.

You know, most real people don't act so "heroic" like someone like Deku does. It was more idiotic than anything else, when he even threw himself in dangerous situations without any powers. That's surely not heroic. If anythimg, that's a hero complex and people do this to prove their own worth not to help others in first place.
That could be interesting, if the story criticize that kind of behavior but it often doesn't.
But it seems like a lot people only want overidealized idiots as main characters.

Also it's really, really nice to see a female main character, who knows that she is beautiful and isn't a shy wallflower.
Jun 21, 2021 2:58 PM

Jun 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
She is neither narcistic nor TOO self centered. She acts much more human than your next generic shounen protagonist does.
In some situations she wanted to help, but she knew what consequences would follow if she does or she knew that the situations would be dangerous to her.

You know, most real people don't act so "heroic" like someone like Deku does. It was more idiotic than anything else, when he even threw himself in dangerous situations without any powers. That's surely not heroic. If anythimg, that's a hero complex and people do this to prove their own worth not to help others in first place.
That could be interesting, if the story criticize that kind of behavior but it often doesn't.
But it seems like a lot people only want overidealized idiots as main characters.

Also it's really, really nice to see a female main character, who knows that she is beautiful and isn't a shy wallflower.

I would buy that argument if not for the fact that in one episode she takes on a king and his guards when she had every opportunity to move on. If this is the kind of person who would take on a kingdom just because she feels like it, that reflects badly on the instances where she could have easily helped but just flew on by without a care in the world.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 30, 2021 6:02 PM
Apr 2011
Haunt-bot said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

I would buy that argument if not for the fact that in one episode she takes on a king and his guards when she had every opportunity to move on. If this is the kind of person who would take on a kingdom just because she feels like it, that reflects badly on the instances where she could have easily helped but just flew on by without a care in the world.

Her friend has an assignment to help the voiceless witch, which in turn means “taking on a king and his guards” in your words.

What are these other instances where applying a witch’s power to those without such power based on your standards falls under the definition of helping?
Dec 1, 2021 10:15 AM
Aug 2016
I agree. She certainly has a narcissistic side in her. Becoming a witch at a young age, being talented got to her head I think. She is always gushing about herself in monologues, about her beauty, about her talents etc. She easily could've been better. She didn't save the 'slave girl', nor the soldier and his city from the 'flower-parasite' but shit got real when she lost a bit of hair. Instead of going in her merry way like she always does she decided to confront the culprit and get vengeance. How selfish is that! People will talk about the consequences of her actions and I agree her actions will have consequences. She had no problem in stopping a woman taking some her hair for making a doll and decided to put a stop to it. That woman was donating all the money earned in the auction to charity. It was a good way to get funding from the rich for the poor. But no she put a stop to it. Didn't care about consequences at all. She never made any comment about the consequences of the other cases in her monologues either. If she decided to play a passive role in all through her journey I wouldn't have had problems with her character. I never thought about Flan's role in it. Thanks a lot for that view @Piromysl . But maybe that's what the author wanted. Maybe he wanted her to be a flawed character. This anime has a great premise and the FP definitely is flawed, and if its intentional I think it would be quite a masterstroke. I also had my blood boil because of some of her actions throughout the series (I am on EP 6) But the premise is so good that I've decided to give this a go.
Guju_ChanDec 1, 2021 10:30 AM
Dec 4, 2021 4:00 AM
Jan 2019
Jeez. What kind of bullshit I just read now. Elaina became "like this" not because Fran lol, but because she's been traveling through a crazy and dark world for 3 years. Moreover, the director significantly nerfed Elaina and cut out her rotten and dark personality at all.

Ah yes, "narcissism" is the lightest thing Elaina has in her personality actually, but this trait was terribly hyperbolized in Anime which still pisses me off.
AlabamagodDec 4, 2021 8:34 AM
Dec 17, 2021 4:02 PM
Dec 2017
shes cute but shes a dumb ditz alot of the times.

Dec 26, 2021 11:20 PM
Oct 2011
Elaina actually travelled 3 years before the actual stories being told. She may have been through a lot that her personality twisted into a careless oblivious dark observer and not your regular active righteous heroine anymore.

Because Elaina being so non-existent in most stories being told is just making me feels like she never needed to be there at all. It feels like most stories can be told without her in it.

Still, since Elaina is just a witch with average power, maybe her ability is limited, we knows nothing yet about the world she is in. What are the rules applied for witches?

Normal people doesn't seems like they are afraid of witches at all ? That's totally absurd because worshipping the strong is completely natural and witches seemingly sit at the top of human power tree. Are you telling me that you can be disrespectful to someone that can turn you to ashes in an instant? (even when there are rules constraining them, are you really not afraid and still act indifferently?). The world has a dark witch that turn the king into monster and slaughter an entire kingdom of people but there are still no consequences for her. And normal people never afraid at all in the presences of witches, no witch hunter, no evil witches, abcxyz... The Elaina world is just like Dark Soul world but is more colorful and confusing and without logic.

People's reaction and behavior to supernatural power is a big plot hole in the series, I hope the author can explain it in the future. Elaina world is in need of explanation, about background settings and rules. Otherwise, it's just like Elaina telling bedtime stories and imagining she is inside each story.

Jan 13, 2022 9:26 AM

Oct 2018
Elaina's not a virtuous superhero, she's a wandering traveller, she never set out on a quest to 'save the innocent', she went on a 'journey to see the world'. People projecting their own expectations on the character are hilarious. Elaina admits to being a bit greedy and self-absorbed and makes no bones about it, as well as having strong caution tempered by her mother's advice about 'watching her back', why would or should she stick her neck out unnecessarily? She never swore some virtuous oath to defend the innocent, she became a fully ranked witch and decided to travel.
Jan 14, 2022 8:54 PM

Oct 2021
Railey2 said:

You misunderstood that, first of all it takes place in a fantasy world, which means slavery was most likely accepted in that world.

Second, Elaina didn't remember the suicide part of the story until after she left, she didn't return out of fear that the slave did do suicide.
Eiyuu Senki Theme Until MAL Adds The Manga
Jan 16, 2022 9:40 AM
Mar 2020
It's better when the mc is a terrible person. Though she isn't terrible, just entitled.
Jan 18, 2022 8:21 PM
Feb 2021
Asanoooo said:
Railey2 said:

You misunderstood that, first of all it takes place in a fantasy world, which means slavery was most likely accepted in that world.

Second, Elaina didn't remember the suicide part of the story until after she left, she didn't return out of fear that the slave did do suicide.
Completely agree with you.YOu guy keep talking what You guy would do without putting youself in Eleina shoes
First of, Eleina world is a fantasy so slave and stuff are completely normal in that world.
Seccond eleina is a completly stranger, she have no position to interfere with someone else business , she cant do anything about it beside feel bad for the girl.What you want her to do ,save the slave broke the rule pick her nose in someone else business after they welcome her with food and hospitality.Remember she just a traveler everywhere she go she nothing other than a stranger and have no right to interfere with someone else busniess unless they want her to do.
And if such a bad person than why the hell did she even bother to help Saya to pass the exam .She can just leave her be and focusing only in finding the badge . She not even mad when Saya hide her badge.
She not a bad nor a good person .She jusst a normal person ,She know what she can and can't do. But i do agree on the teacher thing. but only the comfort stuff not the whole she the worst teacher ever.( sr for my bad english)
Jan 19, 2022 10:00 AM
Jan 2019
B2004x said:
And if such a bad person than why the hell did she even bother to help Saya to pass the exam

LN Elaina's thoughts about Saya's behavior:
AlabamagodJan 19, 2022 10:05 AM
Jan 19, 2022 4:46 PM
Feb 2021
Alabamagod said:
B2004x said:
And if such a bad person than why the hell did she even bother to help Saya to pass the exam

LN Elaina's thoughts about Saya's behavior:
Well she still help her pass the exam right?
Jan 27, 2022 8:26 AM
Jan 2019
B2004x said:
Well she still help her pass the exam right?

Yeah, the first chapter of Vol 1 is extremely weird and illogical in its very essence.

B2004x said:
She not a bad nor a good person .She just a normal person

Actually, Elaina is a bad person who just does good things sometimes. She's pretty twisted and corrupt to the bone like her mom lol. Due to the lack of remorse, she easily scams innocent/ stupid people, in some cases intimidates and even tortures undesirables. In other words, Elaina is a criminal on the run who is constantly being chased by the military police(and others) because her scam activity.
Jan 27, 2022 1:21 PM
Aug 2013
Just watched ep 3 and feel almost like dropping it.

What is this anime dude, yikes
Feb 19, 2022 9:22 AM

Apr 2009
Why does everyone call her narcissistic? Since when did liking yourself become narcissistic? Do you only like characters that are at their worst, have no self-confidence or try to make up for it by doing some heroic stuff otherwise you can't relate to them? This is ridiculous.

Elaina had no business helping the slave, buying slaves there was not something illegal. The commenter that said it's not right to impose 21st century US ideals on characters of a Japanese fantasy anime is completely right. I feel like you lot often seem to forget that there are places/countries/people even in the real world that DO NOT share your views, ideals and way of living, it's way too foreign to them. Your common sense could be extremely bad manners to someone else.

The guy and his sister were too far gone, so it was obviously the right decision to leave.

I personally immensely enjoy the fact that she's a self-confident successful young beautiful girl that knows her worth and does not dive into everything without thinking, this is very realistic and very positive.
She's a very nice and objective person that clearly knows when it's okay to stick her nose into things and when it's not.

Regarding the fight with the king, she helped out the witch that lost her voice and the whole city in general. It was a big thing but it was nothing illegal and it would not lead to any bad consequences whatsoever. If you can't see the difference between the slave story, flower story and the sword story, then I really can't help you there.

She's not obliged to help everyone. Not to mention it's clear that her role in the whole story is that of an observer rather than the main character. I'm amazed how judgemental people can be of self-confident people and characters that know their worth, this is the part of the society that's really toxic.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.