Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jan 22, 2021 10:50 PM

Aug 2009
Yes there will be no pain if your neck is stabbed. You will be able to talk calmly like she did sure....

Satoko doesnt know what she is doing. There is no way she managed to cut her open without doing something wrong and her "ritual" was a mess as well. She wasnt just pulling them out, she was putting force in her strikes and Rika was moving from the pain. Rika had also lost enough blood before that started. There is no way she should have lived that long before even she was picked up.
Jan 22, 2021 10:51 PM

Aug 2009
Devil_Slayer said:
ssjokg said:

please tell me that it was an intentional 4D chess 5000 IQ move on his part.

Believe it or not, Battler trapping himself on purpose in ep6 is a pretty popular theory

I don't buy it tho since it's never hinted through Battler's thoughts or actions and him wearing the rings was basically giving off any chance of coming back even if he could
but you know how it is with WTC fans. They will make up motivations and their own beliefs because R07

Well you beat me to it.
Jan 22, 2021 10:52 PM
Sep 2020
JamieDW said:
Welp. There goes my appetite. Haven't felt this emotionally numb since Rebellion's ending.

It'll be fun to see the live reaction of those watching the episode on Discord. Lulz

I actually feel this has so many elements of Rebellion.

• Time looper who is trying to escape from a dreadful fate: check.
  • Jealous, possessive friend who wants to keep her best friend by her side to the point of obsession: check.
  • A world destined to break down the protagonist: check.
  • Our looper switching from a tragic/painful scene to a scene with an illusion in a sunny day with peaceful music that makes her reach a conclusion that will be the turning point of the story: check.
  • Our protagonist finally giving into dispair (love?) after hundreds of loops: check.
  • The best friend of the possessive character being manipulated (Rika: brainwashed, Madoka: memory erased) to accept her friend's world: check.
  • A perfect world where the trapped person and everyone else live in some sort of false happiness: check.
  • The sense of a fragility to that world that can be broken if the trapped friend remembers herself: check.
  • If you believe the Satoko mastermind theory, the possessive friend controlling the world where she trapped her best friend: check.
  • Yuri undertones (and over-tones in the case of Rebellion): check.
  • Divisive ending that leaves the fanbase arguing, debating the true meaning and insulting the creator or praising him as the ultimate genius: check.
Jan 22, 2021 10:53 PM
Dec 2018
Devil_Slayer said:

There is no reason for why Satoko should be doing Wataganashi on Rika

(Almost as if that is part of the mystery. Since Satoko shouldn't even know what the real Watanagashi is.)
Devil_Slayer said:

Also, Rika was already a goner the moment she jumped into a new fragment, which is ridiculous. This has never happened before and Rika is at least given some time to figure shit out.

But Nah, this loop exists solely and only to torture and mind break Rika without giving her any chance while wasting out time on pointl blood we have been having for 2 straight episodes now

Yes, Rika was screwed from the start in this fragment. Satoko drugged her and never gave her a chance. But she(Satoko) certainly accomplished what she wanted, which was making Rika want to stay in Hinamizawa, which certain goes against what Rika truly wants, unless Rika is faking of course. And after that everything is perfect again, almost as if the culprit is satisfied with Rika now, and willing to let her live. Hmmmmmmm......
Jan 22, 2021 11:00 PM

Apr 2013
random_weirdo said:
As for the representation of gore, I don't know how much of it is from R07 and how much from the director, although I suspect the latter has more involvement. People have been comparing the anime to the manga, and the ending of Onidamashi with Rena and Keiichi was much more realistic and less gory than the anime. I can't talk for anything in the Nekodamashi arc because it hasn't been released in manga yet, but I suspect both the anime director and the mangaka got R07's script and then each decided how they would depict the scenes.

Judging from what I saw in the last chapter of "Onidamashi-hen", I'm going to be super pissed if the manga actually handles the finished story better than the anime. Because it actually looks better, it doesn't look like shit and it's not pulling you by the leg pacing-wise. Still don't like the character designs (that was the thing I loved about the Higurashi manga was that there were multiple mangaka, so they had unique styles), but it looks so much more appealing as a manga than as an anime.

Goddamn it.
Jan 22, 2021 11:01 PM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
Yes there will be no pain if your neck is stabbed. You will be able to talk calmly like she did sure....

I mean, this is Rika we are talking about, this is the same person who committed suicide with a knife, and remembered the suicide. And if Akasaka really only sliced her jugular, and didn't somehow breach her throat, she should be able to speak (In theory).

ssjokg said:

Satoko doesnt know what she is doing. There is no way she managed to cut her open without doing something wrong and her "ritual" was a mess as well. She wasnt just pulling them out, she was putting force in her strikes and Rika was moving from the pain. Rika had also lost enough blood before that started. There is no way she should have lived that long before even she was picked up.

As long as her lungs and heart were intact, she would have several hours before she would bleed out if her intestinal tract was removed. Without the intestinal tract being removed the survival time increases, but Rika started bleeding out for sure when Satoko severed her spine and lifted her up, because the blood would pool inside of her body and wouldn't leave her, so the time it would take to bleed out would be extremely slow, and the blood that's all pooled up would start to exit as soon as she is up right. It's the reason why after her spine was severed we see her become delirious and start to become unable to form complete sentences. So she definitely did start to bleed out. So I think skill is irrelevant as long as the major organs are not touched.
Jan 22, 2021 11:03 PM

Jul 2014
jaw201 said:
Devil_Slayer said:

There is no reason for why Satoko should be doing Wataganashi on Rika

(Almost as if that is part of the mystery. Since Satoko shouldn't even know what the real Watanagashi is.)
Devil_Slayer said:

Also, Rika was already a goner the moment she jumped into a new fragment, which is ridiculous. This has never happened before and Rika is at least given some time to figure shit out.

But Nah, this loop exists solely and only to torture and mind break Rika without giving her any chance while wasting out time on pointl blood we have been having for 2 straight episodes now

Yes, Rika was screwed from the start in this fragment. Satoko drugged her and never gave her a chance. But she(Satoko) certainly accomplished what she wanted, which was making Rika want to stay in Hinamizawa, which certain goes against what Rika truly wants, unless Rika is faking of course. And after that everything is perfect again, almost as if the culprit is satisfied with Rika now, and willing to let her live. Hmmmmmmm......

Again I am not whining about the event itself but how it was needles dragged out and gory for no reason.
Jan 22, 2021 11:05 PM

Aug 2009
Sorry you cant seriously make anyone believe that Satoko's strikes only gently removed intestines and no bleeding was caused from that and Rika moving from the pain.

Jan 22, 2021 11:07 PM

Jul 2014
People srsly sitting here trying to explain Rika surviving that long? Lmao she was literally talking after Satoko split her body in half and was ripping off her organs one by one, on what earth is that logical?
Jan 22, 2021 11:09 PM

Aug 2009
Devil_Slayer said:
People srsly sitting here trying to explain Rika surviving that long? Lmao she was literally talking after Satoko split her body in half and was ripping off her organs one by one
Painkillers can totally cause that.

Despite the fact that Rika felt everything moments before.
Jan 22, 2021 11:12 PM

Jul 2014
ssjokg said:
Devil_Slayer said:
People srsly sitting here trying to explain Rika surviving that long? Lmao she was literally talking after Satoko split her body in half and was ripping off her organs one by one

Pain Remover is different than denying the law of the human body.

Even if she survived for that long she should be BARELY conscious and not able to comprehend what is going yet. Rika already have the body of a fragile 11 years old kid so she isn't enduring punishment anytime soon.

Can some of you at least bring source to what you are claiming?
Jan 22, 2021 11:14 PM

Aug 2009
Devil_Slayer said:
ssjokg said:

Even if she survived for that long she should be BARELY conscious and not able to comprehend what is going yet. Rika already have the body of a fragile 11 years old kid so she isn't enduring punishment anytime soon.

I was being sarcastic.

That scene didnt make any sense.
Jan 22, 2021 11:15 PM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
Sorry you cant seriously make anyone believe that Satoko's strikes only gently removed intestines and no bleeding was caused from that and Rika moving from the pain.

Her Lungs weren't even exposed. Satoko only has to hit one spot, over and over and over again. And yes, bleeding was caused from it. I said that Rika only started being delirious after Satoko had severed her spine. She was quickly bleeding out the moment Satoko severed her spine, and lifting her upright made it even worse.
Jan 22, 2021 11:16 PM
Dec 2018
Devil_Slayer said:
People srsly sitting here trying to explain Rika surviving that long? Lmao she was literally talking after Satoko split her body in half and was ripping off her organs one by one, on what earth is that logical?

She was saying 2-3 words max. She could barely even speak after her spine was severed. Satoko was pulling her intestinal tract out after being severed. At most it's time dilation and Rika being able to speak because of Hanyuu's boon/curse.
Devil_Slayer said:

She would still be conscious after the hoe severed her spine due to the pain killers. She was delirious and could barely speak.
Jan 22, 2021 11:17 PM
Sep 2020
jaw201 said:

I always thought the neck scratching and the maggots were a major symptom of Level 5 of the Hinamizawa syndrome, (along with constricting pupils) so I guess I don't find it out of place? I do find how fast Akasaka, K1, and Ooishi came down with the syndrome to be suspicious, because normally there would be lead up and they wouldn't be instantly scratching at their throats like that, just light scratching at first like with Rena in Tsumihoroboshi. Nothing more here.

They are a distinctive symptom, but not one that every patient suffers. Like if you see the dude claw his throat out while raving about maggots, you know for sure it's HS. But many people can have HS and not show those specific symptoms.

In OG, not every L5 character scratched at their neck: Satoko, Shion and the construction manager didn't show that symptom. And only Rena ever brought up the parasites. While you could say that they scratched their necks because they thought they had maggots inside, it's quite a leap to go from there to "parasites", which is a very specific term that was related to Takano's research, and that Rena used because she had been fed with said investigation. To see Akasaka and Keiichi raise that term as well is definitely suspicious.

jaw201 said:

If Rika was stabbed in the jugular that shouldn't affect her voice box.

True, but her voice box is also located in the throat. We saw how badly Keiichi talked with only scratching his neck in Onikakushi, now imagine actually being stabbed there with an object that can pierce farther than fingernails... by all rights, her voice should have sounded different at the very least.
Jan 22, 2021 11:19 PM

Aug 2009
jaw201 said:
ssjokg said:

Her Lungs weren't even exposed. Satoko only has to hit one spot, over and over and over again. And yes, bleeding was caused from it. I said that Rika only started being delirious after Satoko had severed her spine. She was quickly bleeding out the moment Satoko severed her spine, and lifting her upright made it even worse.

Only hit one spot....Because Satoko, especially a L5 Satoko, can totally aim at the right spot repeatedly and never hit anything else. Grown up men cant hit the same spot repeatedly but a crazy child can.....

And the bleeding had started before she even started that. She isnt a doctor that knows what she is doing. She isnt a looping priestess that has been doing the ritual for hundreds of years.

Jan 22, 2021 11:21 PM

Jul 2014
Bruh Rika is only 4 foot tall I don't imagine it would take much to make her bleed out after he exposes her organs and beat them again and again.

Rika should have experienced a hypovolemic shock after 1-2 min max because of all the blood she lost and will lose consciousness due to lack of blood reaching her brain.

Satoko is insane 11 years old kid smashing her best friend organs with basically an axe, yet you sitting here telling me she was clever about it as a fucking doctor and didn't make her bleed much or hit vital organs magically, which would make her even better than a surgery octor
Jan 22, 2021 11:21 PM
Dec 2018
random_weirdo said:
jaw201 said:

True, but her voice box is also located in the throat. We saw how badly Keiichi talked with only scratching his neck in Onikakushi, now imagine actually being stabbed there with an object that can pierce farther than fingernails... by all rights, her voice should have sounded different at the very least.

Again, I'm not saying that the anime is 100% accurate, I'm just making the case that it isn't as impossible as people are claiming.
Jan 22, 2021 11:23 PM

Jul 2014
Why is it so hard to admit that show you like isn't making sense for once and moving on? We will get laughed at if we bring someone who is remotely knowledgeable about surgery and human body
Jan 22, 2021 11:27 PM
Sep 2020
Lil-Bird said:
random_weirdo said:
As for the representation of gore, I don't know how much of it is from R07 and how much from the director, although I suspect the latter has more involvement. People have been comparing the anime to the manga, and the ending of Onidamashi with Rena and Keiichi was much more realistic and less gory than the anime. I can't talk for anything in the Nekodamashi arc because it hasn't been released in manga yet, but I suspect both the anime director and the mangaka got R07's script and then each decided how they would depict the scenes.

Judging from what I saw in the last chapter of "Onidamashi-hen", I'm going to be super pissed if the manga actually handles the finished story better than the anime. Because it actually looks better, it doesn't look like shit and it's not pulling you by the leg pacing-wise. Still don't like the character designs (that was the thing I loved about the Higurashi manga was that there were multiple mangaka, so they had unique styles), but it looks so much more appealing as a manga than as an anime.

Goddamn it.

You're having exactly the same reaction I had lol. I have never read manga before (comics and graphic novels are not the way I like to consume content), but Gou might be the first product to make me pick up its manga as soon as it's translated. Not only does it look so much better than what we saw in the anime, but if you notice, the scene with Rika and Hanyuu is placed at the end of Onidamashi, where it fits so much more naturally than jammed in the middle of the loop.

I don't have a problem with the designs per se (except Ooishi's and Kimiyoshi's, which are fucking dreadful), but with the shiny look they decided to give them. They look like glossy, oily plastic. And also the :3 mouths. They're okay for some gags in the SoL parts, but having all the characters have permanent :3 faces is irritating.
Jan 22, 2021 11:31 PM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:

Only hit one spot....Because Satoko, especially a L5 Satoko, can totally aim at the right spot repeatedly and never hit anything else. Grown up men cant hit the same spot repeatedly but a crazy child can.....

And the bleeding had started before she even started that. She isnt a doctor that knows what she is doing. She isnt a looping priestess that has been doing the ritual for hundreds of years.

I don't believe Satoko is L5 in this scene. (No constricted Pupil, like we have seen with every other L5 individual). Rika's Lungs and Heart were not exposed. Sure her liver, kidneys, and pancreas were eviscerated but those aren't "vital" in that they are necessary for brain function in the immediate short term.

Devil_Slayer said:

Rika should have experienced a hypovolemic shock after 1-2 min max because of all the blood she lost and will lose consciousness due to lack of blood reaching her brain.

Satoko is insane 11 years old kid smashing her best friend organs with basically an axe, yet you sitting here telling me she was clever about it as a fucking doctor and didn't make her bleed much or hit vital organs magically, which would make her even better than a surgery octor

I would argue, that 1, Hypovolemic shock didn't start to take effect until after Satoko severed Rika's spine. At which point, Rika was unable to speak many words, and was extremely delirious. And 2, Satoko doesn't need to be careful, just aim the hoe into everywhere that is cut open and you won't hit the lungs and heart. There isn't a need to be precise when the only "vital" organs are the heart and lungs.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disembowelment for further reference. As for the precisness issue, people were being disemboweled as early as 303 a.d. so there is no need for true precision.
jaw201Jan 22, 2021 11:39 PM
Jan 22, 2021 11:34 PM
Sep 2020
jaw201 said:
random_weirdo said:

Again, I'm not saying that the anime is 100% accurate, I'm just making the case that it isn't as impossible as people are claiming.

Fair enough.

Devil_Slayer said:
Why is it so hard to admit that show you like isn't making sense for once and moving on? We will get laughed at if we bring someone who is remotely knowledgeable about surgery and human body

@Devil_Slayer @jaw201 @ssjokg
Imma ask my dad about it 'cause he's a surgeon, but from what little I can recall: the moment she gets split in half, that includes her aorta. As the aorta is the main artery distributing blood from the heart to the organs, she isn't just going to slowly bleed out like she would if it were just a gut wound. She will lose gallons of blood and die within minutes from bloodloss.

Whatever the truth is, this discussion is getting kind of ridiculous. None of you are ever going to convince the other. That's the reality of most online debates.
Jan 22, 2021 11:38 PM

Aug 2009
Did this guy just said that Satoko did all that without being a L5?
I can't even...
Jan 22, 2021 11:40 PM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
I can't even...

I legitimately believe Satoko wasn't L5. Her eyes are the dead giveaway. She is also way too calm, collected, and lucid for her to be L5, especially with how much they have been emphasizing the paranoia and neck scratching of the syndrome in the last episode.. She also knows way too much, such as the true nature of the Watanagashi ritual.
jaw201Jan 22, 2021 11:46 PM
Jan 22, 2021 11:49 PM
Jan 2021
8 episodes left - this is 175 minutes of pure answers, question: "how many time will be spend to explain first 13 episodes?"
Jan 23, 2021 1:09 AM

Aug 2019
random_weirdo said:
In the Tatarigoroshi tips,
So sane Satoko has compassion for people, but an insane Satoko would set lethal traps for everybody, or traps that knocked them out and allowed her to perform the Watanagashi on them.
Yes, I remember that. I'm just saying that could be the only method avaliable to her, due to her physical body limitation. I'm not doubting her ability to do deadly traps.

random_weirdo said:
the moment she gets split in half, that includes her aorta.
I knew something was really amiss, the moment the body splits she would pretty much become a blood tap. I'm starting to imagine something very gruesome so I'll stop lol. Not that I'm actually taking those scenes seriously. The moment she speaks with normal voice after Akasaka stabbed her neck I gave up lmao. The countdown was ok, but the finger snaps were also ridiculous.
Jan 23, 2021 1:12 AM
Dec 2018
Interestingly the painkillers Satoko was using on Rika, is Ketamine. I wonder how high of a dose Rika was injected with....

jaw201Jan 23, 2021 1:16 AM
Jan 23, 2021 1:28 AM
Jan 2021
jaw201 said:
Interestingly the painkillers Satoko was using on Rika, is Ketamine. I wonder how high of a dose Rika was injected with....

High enough...but not high enough...Satoko injected her at least 3 times, every 15 minutes, with very big doses..but this isn't a game, and I don't know, how ketamine can help with lack of lower part of your body.
Jan 23, 2021 2:30 AM
Apr 2020
2. Beach episode combined with disembowelment episode, that's a new one for me.
3. I've completely lost track of what's going on in this series...
Jan 23, 2021 2:49 AM
Jan 2021
YuKitsune256 said:

10% Pain, 20% Pain, 15% Concentrated power of Pain
Jan 23, 2021 4:57 AM

Aug 2009
jaw201 said:
ssjokg said:
I can't even...

I legitimately believe Satoko wasn't L5. Her eyes are the dead giveaway. She is also way too calm, collected, and lucid for her to be L5, especially with how much they have been emphasizing the paranoia and neck scratching of the syndrome in the last episode.. She also knows way too much, such as the true nature of the Watanagashi ritual.

Rena was very calm, collected and lucid able to make plans for the whole school. Hell she was collected and calm when she went to Keichi's house in Onidamashi. The previous 3 being badly over the top because the director is a hack doesnt make this a new rule. Akane was collected as well, even when scratching her neck.

And it isnt hard to know about the ritual. It wasnt hard for Rena to learn about File 34 either.

If Satoko isnt a L5 then that means she is insane even without the Syndrome, and no matter what Rika does Satoko can ruin it for no reason, just because she felt like it.
Jan 23, 2021 5:52 AM

Jan 2017
Good episode guys, I wonder what will happen next. This is something the OG lacked, the amount of gore. The OG has its memorable moments but most of it is just about getting creeped out but then Gou arrived and delivered us good fans good fanservice. Anyways guys, how do you think the ending would turn out for this season? Will Rika overcome and stop her fate from looping and dying or will Ryushiki07 will milk this series until is dried out.
Jan 23, 2021 6:46 AM
Dec 2018
ssjokg said:
jaw201 said:

Rena was very calm, collected and lucid able to make plans for the whole school. Hell she was collected and calm when she went to Keichi's house in Onidamashi. The previous 3 being badly over the top because the director is a hack doesnt make this a new rule. Akane was collected as well, even when scratching her neck.

And it isnt hard to know about the ritual. It wasnt hard for Rena to learn about File 34 either.

If Satoko isnt a L5 then that means she is insane even without the Syndrome, and no matter what Rika does Satoko can ruin it for no reason, just because she felt like it.

Rena was still extremely paranoid. Satoko wasn't. And it's a perfectly acceptable conclusion if Satoko is looping and is also the culprit. It doesn't make her insane. Not only that but the episode specifically focused on her looking at Rika's reaction after killing her, which would imply she is trying to guage Rika before doing anything. The fact that she is still trying to see what Rika is doing especially after evicerating her means that she sure as hell wasn't L5 and did that of her own volition. If she is looping then all can be explained away, since she would have had 5 years of character development offscreen.

And hell the anime gave Satoko plenty of motive for her to be the culprit/mastermind in this episode alone. Rika left Hinamizawa, Satoko didn't like this, ????, Satoko ends up back in the loops and perpetuates them in order to make Rika not leave the village under the guise of "Oyashiro-sama".

As for Takano? I would like to think that she is innocent. But we'll see whether or not that's true from what she tells Rika in the next episode. I don't believe takano made satoko go L5, and Satoko is too suspicious too not be the culprit, especially since the anime just gave us her motive.
jaw201Jan 23, 2021 7:05 AM
Jan 23, 2021 6:48 AM
Dec 2018
Jean-Antoine said:
jaw201 said:

High enough...but not high enough...Satoko injected her at least 3 times, every 15 minutes, with very big doses..but this isn't a game, and I don't know, how ketamine can help with lack of lower part of your body.

It didn't which is why she bled out after satoko lifted her up.
Jan 23, 2021 7:23 AM
May 2015
This episode was pretty fucking wild and filled with gore.. not sure why the change of forcing Rika to live Hinamizawa. It makes perfect sense to want to leave after a century, but whatever.. I guess Satoko is potentially the last person to kill before actually getting any kind of close to the real villain..?

There's been a lot of changes to make this anime more Psychological than before, but I'm really starting to appreciate the original despite how slow it was..
Roses are red

violets are blue.

Omae Wa

Mou shindeiru
Jan 23, 2021 8:01 AM

Oct 2014
jaw201 said:
Hulio said:

I think the shortest and most direct answer to you, which you will hopefully understand is:

"The most intricate thing to find in this world.
Is it a needle that you lost in the desert?

The most intricate thing to find in this world.
Is it a crow's feather that you lost in the darkness of the night?

The most intricate thing to find in this world is,
Realizing your own erroneous contemplation."

I don't understand the point. It doesn't make the points that the other person has made any less incorrect
It's fine.

jaw201 said:

Rika would have been mostly "okay" as in she would stay alive for a long period of time up until Satoko lifted her upright. At which point she would have started to bleed out. But Rika didn't show signs of bleeding out until after Satoko had seemingly severed her spine and lifted her up right. The person could live with their intestines exposed/removed for several hours, and Rika would be able to stay conscious with how Satoko basically has her ODing on painkillers.
First of all, how many people stabbed in the throat you have heard speaking to say that? Also the wound was deep enough to cut the Jugular veins and maybe even the carotid artery. You're dealing a bit more than simple bloodloss on here.

And the Disembowlment, not sure where you're pulling this stuff up.
Yes, just cutting the guts open doesn't kill you, but that isn't what we saw either, that was done X amount before of everything we saw, and it's okay.
However, she would have started bleeding the moment she was cut, and she would have continued to bleed out ever since, not to talk about what kind of effects having your guts open will cause.
This is especially true if vital organs such as the heart and lungs aren't damaged.
Heh.
Imagine thinking that Heart and Lungs are the only vital organs.

jaw201 said:

As long as her lungs and heart were intact, she would have several hours before she would bleed out if her intestinal tract was removed. Without the intestinal tract being removed the survival time increases, but Rika started bleeding out for sure when Satoko severed her spine and lifted her up, because the blood would pool inside of her body and wouldn't leave her, so the time it would take to bleed out would be extremely slow, and the blood that's all pooled up would start to exit as soon as she is up right. It's the reason why after her spine was severed we see her become delirious and start to become unable to form complete sentences. So she definitely did start to bleed out. So I think skill is irrelevant as long as the major organs are not touched.
Man this is just ridiculous.
The blood which bleeds doesn't just "Stay inside body" if it's open like that lmao.
Also becoming delirious has nothing to do with her being lift up.
Setting the whole ridiculousness of your spine being cut apart, the drugs would have done that. Frankly, it's a miracle she is conscious because of the drugs.

jaw201 said:
She would still be conscious after the hoe severed her spine due to the pain killers. She was delirious and could barely speak.
No, "pain killers" don't really help you being conscious during something like that. There's also a reason why on certain big surgeries you don't only get "pain killers" on your blood, they use the anaesthetic directly on your spine.

jaw201 said:
Rika's Lungs and Heart were not exposed. Sure her liver, kidneys, and pancreas were eviscerated but those aren't "vital" in that they are necessary for brain function in the immediate short term.

I would argue, that 1, Hypovolemic shock didn't start to take effect until after Satoko severed Rika's spine. At which point, Rika was unable to speak many words, and was extremely delirious. And 2, Satoko doesn't need to be careful, just aim the hoe into everywhere that is cut open and you won't hit the lungs and heart. There isn't a need to be precise when the only "vital" organs are the heart and lungs.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disembowelment for further reference. As for the precisness issue, people were being disemboweled as early as 303 a.d. so there is no need for true precision.
Sorry facepalming at this, but stop saying that the "vital" organs are Heart and Lungs.
What % of blood you think goes through Liver and Kidneys all the time?
Do you even know where the biggest veins are? And no, not in the heart, and not the Aorta.

Suffering that hoe action Rika had, forget the spine, you would be literally fucked. And no, the blood wouldn't just stay in the body until you're lifted up.

jaw201 said:

Ketalar to be exact.

random_weirdo said:

Imma ask my dad about it 'cause he's a surgeon, but from what little I can recall: the moment she gets split in half, that includes her aorta. As the aorta is the main artery distributing blood from the heart to the organs, she isn't just going to slowly bleed out like she would if it were just a gut wound. She will lose gallons of blood and die within minutes from bloodloss.

Whatever the truth is, this discussion is getting kind of ridiculous. None of you are ever going to convince the other. That's the reality of most online debates.
No need to bother your dad on this matter (unless you're actually interested on the details)
but yes, if you'd get split in half like that, it would indeed include aorta, however, we're not talking of minutes in here, it could be a matter of seconds. (No I don't mean like you would immediately die after x time, but rather a point of no return. If you'd lose all blood in your body immediately, it wouldn't mean you would die on the second either)

Also beside the main artery - which is mostly the only thing everyone think about - there is also the main veins, which go into the heart. (also happens to be bigger than aorta)
Not to talk of Kidneys and Liver, which gather and deliver blood almost as much as heart.
Getting your liver turned into smashed potatoes and not calling that vital is as far as ridiculous goes.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jan 23, 2021 8:28 AM
Oct 2011
From a R07 interview translation

Alphonse_HarryJan 23, 2021 8:33 AM
Jan 23, 2021 8:38 AM

Apr 2020
All I can say is that, Fuck You Higurashi. FUCK YOU RYUKISHI07. And goddamn you Studio Passione. What I just witnessed in the first half, HAS TO BE the most GOREY scenes I have seen throughout my entire life. I'm not kidding, even though I have seen gore things in the Internet even before I entered high school, what I just saw from this episode...was just too far.

Imagine if you're gut is not as strong as others, you would literally puke just by seeing the carnage that is Rika's body. And seeing that for pretty much 10 minutes is so FUCKING INSANE. I for myself have seen Euphoria, and it's the most fucked up shit I've seen--until NOW.

Well I guess I regret watching Higurashi now...I am just a newcomer for fuck sake. I should've watched the entire original series first, maybe put this ON-HOLD way back in Episode 2 or 4, but now I regret everything. It's a shame because I don't have much time like I used to back in the Fall, so yeah by the end of the day, FUCK ME.

Oh btw Takano and Tomitake, to hell with you guys.
Jan 23, 2021 8:44 AM

Apr 2020
Oh by the way, forgive my ultimate cursing there at the top of this message. I'm just really mad on what happened in that episode. I watched this on YouTube and saw the "age-restricted" tag. I thought, "wait but last episode was already horrifying enough, why did Ani-One put it now?"...

you get the point. So yeah I'll be putting this on-hold for now, as I watch the original seasons. I still like the episode amidst its madness that made me rage. There is a limit of how much suffering I can take on certain conditions, and this one broke my limit. So yeah, gomenasai, hope you watched this episode without puking and...I'm just gonna calm myself down for a bit.

LOL.
Jan 23, 2021 9:12 AM

Oct 2014
raiderublaze said:
HAS TO BE the most GOREY scenes I have seen throughout my entire life. I'm not kidding, even though I have seen gore things in the Internet even before I entered high school, what I just saw from this episode...was just too far.

I for myself have seen Euphoria, and it's the most fucked up shit I've seen--until NOW.

Well I guess I regret watching Higurashi now...I am just a newcomer for fuck sake. I should've watched the entire original series first, maybe put this ON-HOLD way back in Episode 2 or 4
If this was the goriest thing you've seen, I don't think you've been digging the internet deep enough ._.

Also may I recommend watching Audition, you might enjoy it :>

And yeah, should have put this on hold, many should have.
We tried to tell everyone to wait or watch the original first but we failed.
I blame all those diehard GOU stans :(
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Jan 23, 2021 9:19 AM

Feb 2015
Devil_Slayer said:
If anything people jumping the gun the moment girls are shown in swimsuit and calling the
studio pedos THE MOMENT they see anything remotely to be taken as sexual is more creep if you ask me
since it's pretty clear they were the ones who had sexual thoughts the moment a kid showed a part of her skin.

Like, I srsly don't get what is wrong with the scene. They showed them for like 5 sec and showed all the other girls as well. Have you never seen a little girl in a swimsuit? Like, Jesus, where do you live? Middle east?

If you think THIS is fan=service then you haven't seen much anime. If you want to see true fan-service of Satoko and Rika go watch the 2011 anime

First off, I didn't call the studio pedos (though I agreed with a post that called this pedo fanservice, so I see where you're coming from). If it weren't for the weird Satoko shower scene and the angles during the tag game (and the way they sexualize Shion even more than ever before), I wouldn't have had any problem with them just wearing swimsuits. I honestly think that it comes down to Passiones art style in the end, cause the way they use shading is imo always kinda objectifying (not saying they are doing that on purpose). You can absoulutely draw and animate a scene of little girls in swimsuits without it being fanservice, don't get me wrong. I just don't think that was done here (which is subjective and while I don't like it, I'm not calling the animator a pedo).

And I purposely did not watch Kira (2011), cause I'm not intereseted in Higurashi fanservice (or fanservice in general) at all, so I don't know how much worse it is then this, but I'll take your word for it.

We can just agree to disagree. I never wanted you to dislike this scene anyway, I just tried to explain why some people (me included) have a problem with it. I'm sorry if I was too harsh or condescending in my first response.
StormxNightmareJan 23, 2021 9:29 AM
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Jan 23, 2021 9:38 AM

Apr 2020
Hulio said:

If this was the goriest thing you've seen, I don't think you've been digging the internet deep enough ._.

Also may I recommend watching Audition, you might enjoy it :>

And yeah, should have put this on hold, many should have.
We tried to tell everyone to wait or watch the original first but we failed.
I blame all those diehard GOU stans :(

Well I don't intend to search 'gore' stuff in the deeper depths of the Internet. If I want to, I would've done it for a while now and just laugh at the gore stuff that happened in this episode.

Because what I also meant is that of all the time that I've been watching anime, this episode have the most GRAPHIC stuff yet along with Euphoria. So yeah, I might see more fxxked up ones in the future but the first half of Ep 16 has scarred me somehow.
Jan 23, 2021 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
jaw201 said:
ssjokg said:

Rena was still extremely paranoid. Satoko wasn't. And it's a perfectly acceptable conclusion if Satoko is looping and is also the culprit. It doesn't make her insane. Not only that but the episode specifically focused on her looking at Rika's reaction after killing her, which would imply she is trying to guage Rika before doing anything. The fact that she is still trying to see what Rika is doing especially after evicerating her means that she sure as hell wasn't L5 and did that of her own volition. If she is looping then all can be explained away, since she would have had 5 years of character development offscreen.

And hell the anime gave Satoko plenty of motive for her to be the culprit/mastermind in this episode alone. Rika left Hinamizawa, Satoko didn't like this, ????, Satoko ends up back in the loops and perpetuates them in order to make Rika not leave the village under the guise of "Oyashiro-sama".

As for Takano? I would like to think that she is innocent. But we'll see whether or not that's true from what she tells Rika in the next episode. I don't believe takano made satoko go L5, and Satoko is too suspicious too not be the culprit, especially since the anime just gave us her motive.

You look at Satoko's actions and you think this is normal??

Also L5 doesnt mean you do something against your will. It means you do something that is normally out of character. And guess what this whole thing was.
Doesnt matter if she is a looper or not. Satoko's characterization before this (episode or Gou in general)never showed any hints that she gave a fuck about Oyashiro-sama and his laws. Doesnt matter if it is Hanyuu, Featherine or some other witch, or her delusion. Satoko has no reason to go along with it. Rika's flashback shows Satoko with her as well so it cant be personal as well.

Finally, Satoko is as obvious as culprit as Eva was. At best she is an underling. At worst a red herring that conveniently asked questions that imply some other stuff. Even if she isnt L5 she is absolutely insane even without it.

ssjokgJan 23, 2021 9:58 AM
Jan 23, 2021 10:07 AM

Aug 2019
YuKitsune256 said:

I paused at that momment to laugh, because I had the "you were trying to cross the border, right?" in the mind.
I thought, but wouldn't expect the episode would actually be exactly about this.
Jan 23, 2021 10:14 AM
Jan 2021
Thanos_ said:

This sounds as bad as it can.
Jan 23, 2021 10:25 AM
Dec 2007
jTiKey said:
Bernkasten said:

Though Ryukishi's writing may be too complex for most anime viewers.

More like inconsistent. Making things as vague as possible doesn't make him a genius.

Just because you couldn't get at first, it doesn't mean it is vague. All when they cry series are about revisiting what you had watched to get more clues. If you rewatched from the beggining you'll see that the things make sense and even will find more clues. just because you couldn't find a question to answer, it doesn't mean that it was vague and incosistent. Higurashi is an anime for people to talk about, discuss and to find answers.
Jan 23, 2021 10:27 AM

Aug 2009
Jan 23, 2021 11:04 AM
Sep 2020
rafaelfserafim said:
random_weirdo said:
In the Tatarigoroshi tips,
So sane Satoko has compassion for people, but an insane Satoko would set lethal traps for everybody, or traps that knocked them out and allowed her to perform the Watanagashi on them.
Yes, I remember that. I'm just saying that could be the only method avaliable to her, due to her physical body limitation. I'm not doubting her ability to do deadly traps.

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

rafaelfserafim said:
random_weirdo said:
the moment she gets split in half, that includes her aorta.
I knew something was really amiss, the moment the body splits she would pretty much become a blood tap. I'm starting to imagine something very gruesome so I'll stop lol. Not that I'm actually taking those scenes seriously. The moment she speaks with normal voice after Akasaka stabbed her neck I gave up lmao. The countdown was ok, but the finger snaps were also ridiculous.

Lmao, yes, Rika just talking all chill when Akasaka stabbed her neck was pretty ridiculous. But I stopped taking the depictions of the effects of violence in the human body in Gou seriously since I saw that a hit to the head with an alarm clock can cause such a pool of blood. Sure, it may have been a hallucination, but still it's where I stopped taking it seriously. I didn't mind the finger snaps because I thought they were a narrative tool more than anything else, and because, as I mentioned above, I had stopped taking it seriously. But surviving and being conscious while being torn in half? That was a bit too much.

Hulio said:
random_weirdo said:

No need to bother your dad on this matter (unless you're actually interested on the details)
but yes, if you'd get split in half like that, it would indeed include aorta, however, we're not talking of minutes in here, it could be a matter of seconds. (No I don't mean like you would immediately die after x time, but rather a point of no return. If you'd lose all blood in your body immediately, it wouldn't mean you would die on the second either)

Also beside the main artery - which is mostly the only thing everyone think about - there is also the main veins, which go into the heart. (also happens to be bigger than aorta)
Not to talk of Kidneys and Liver, which gather and deliver blood almost as much as heart.
Getting your liver turned into smashed potatoes and not calling that vital is as far as ridiculous goes.

Well, I did ask him because I got curious about the details and the medical implications. I'm a nerd just like that.

The moment you get your upper half and lower half torn apart, the pain alone is such a shock that it affects something called the vagus nerve, resulting in a vasovagal syncope within a matter of seconds. Vasovagal syncope is the fancy way of saying you faint. One could argue that Rika was on painkillers, but they seemed to have stopped taking effect because she was in a lot of pain when Satoko was playing whackamole with her intestines. And even without the pain, you get the blood loss that would also make you lose consciousness in a matter of seconds.

By the way, wanted to clarify: the aorta is slightly larger than the inferior vena cava, which is the main vein you're thinking about. The inf. cava averages 20 mm in diameter, while the aorta averages 25 mm. Also, the aorta carries more volume of blood because it's one consistent artery across the whole body, while the cava splits in superior and inferior cava. But that's just a precision, the point is that both are the main blood channels in the body and carry a fuck ton of blood.

So anyway, even if the painkillers were enough to prevent the vasovagal syncope, you would lose about 20%-30% of the volume of your blood almost instantaneously, which is a liter or more. Losing that amount of blood over one or several hours, such as with disembowelment, isn't such a problem because the body is able to compensate (i.e.: produce some more blood in the meantime). But if you lose it in a matter of seconds, the body will suffer hypovolemic shock immediately and you lose conciousness.

After that, you're a goner. To begin, it's actual jets of blood squirting out, not only pools or drips of blood. In a way, I'm thankful they went for the pools of blood only because this episode didn't need to be gorier than it already is. After that, you will be drained of most of your blood and die in a matter of one minute, which is the amount of time that it takes the aorta and the cava to circulate your blood into your body and back into your heart. Basically, you're completely drained of blood.

Bottom line: sorry to the believers, but what we saw last episode just isn't accurate.

Edit: I said you would lose "gallons of blood" in my previous post being hyperbolic. In reality, the amount of blood in the human body, which is 4-5 liters of blood, is roughly equivalent to a little more than a gallon.
random_weirdoJan 23, 2021 11:18 AM
Jan 23, 2021 12:15 PM

Dec 2020
I really enjoyed this episode. I'd say it was the second best episode so far, just behind episode 14.

The gore was exceptional even for Higurashi standards. Obviously the most gruesome scene of the WTC series so far. Even though a lot of people here are writing whole essays about the unrealism of the disembowlment scene it was a really good scene in my opinion.

Sure, it wasn't realistic for a child to stay alive for so long after such extreme damage was done to the guts and such an amount of blood was lost, but characters staying alive longer than they should isn't something new in an anime series and even though the WTC series tries to be as comprehensible as possible regarding the mystery it's not free of this trope.

So even with the lack of realism I feel like this scene was very impactful. It wasn't only gory but also eerie and very emotional. Even sensual in a LamdaXBern way. Rika being in total agony while also actually wondering (seriously for the first time) if she did something wrong that makes her deserve this. Satoko being so calm and not just another screaming maniac like in the last four loops of episode 15. In a way her behavior was honest and pure.

And that's why I feel like this loop is far more than people here are giving it credit for. It didn't feel like it was just Satoko being L5 and bringing up just another reason to kill Rika. It felt like for the first time in Gou the culprit and the victim had some real talk. And not only about what happened during this loop, but about all the other loops as well.

Because of this I wouldn't simply say that Satoko was a L5 case even though the neck scratching is an obvious indicator for that. How she acted during the disembowlment and even in the current loop at the beach it felt like she didn't forget, like she still has her eyes on Rika.

While she doesn't seem like the new mastermind as many suspected she does feel like she was manipulated in some way. Like someone - maybe on a higher level - forced her to punish Rika for wanting to leave Hinamizawa. Her talk about Oyashiro-sama's revelation is meant to make us believe she is simply a L5 case but it's propably actually another person (maybe a witch?) speaking to her.

This could be said about the last four loops as well. They didn't seem like random L5 cases but culprits who were given specific misinformation about Rika in order to push them to kill Rika. Maybe a HS injection was used to push people who never went L5 before. Or maybe the neck scratching and the talk about maggots is just a red herring hiding the mastermind's method of manipulationg culprits into murdering Rika.

All of this feels like a lead towards a new mastermind knowing about Rika's ability to loop. Someone who either want's Rika to kill herself with the shard (so maybe Hanyu/Featherine) or someone who wants her to suffer in Hinamizawa forever (so maybe Lamda). Maybe Hanyu gave Rika the shard to end this game once and for all. Either by killing herself or by killing another looper. The other looper would be a pawn for one of the witches in this case, most likely Satoko or Takano, though these could be red herrings as well since they seem really obvious at this point.

Theories aside I feel like criticizing this episode because Rika gave up so easily isn't really fair. First of all you should keep the possibility in mind that Rika simply acted like she submitted to avoid further torturing. How she acted towards Satoko didn't feel sincere to me. After realising why she was murdered this time (and maybe even the times before that) the first thing she does after awakening again is to try to assure Satoko - the possible other looper - that there is no reason to punish her for wanting to leave Hinamizawa again. I wouldn't be surprised if Rika still hated Hinamizawa for everything that happened to her and tried to gain some time to figure out what's going on this time. That's propably what the talk with Takano is going to be about.

And even if this isn't really what she is doing I wouldn't blame her for forcing herself into loving Hinamizawa again as a way to cope with all that happened. After all she just wants to live a happy live and if she can do so by staying in Hinamizawa I guess she would prefer that over being stubborn and suffer for it.

If anything this episode made me excited for how this arc is going to turn out. This feels like an actual mystery and I am all for it.

TLDR:
The disembowlment wasn't realistic but still well done.
Satoko feels like she was manipulated by a higher being into forcing Rika to stay in Hinamizawa. Same with the four culprits before this loop.
When you connect this to Umineko it points to Featherine or Lamda trying to force Rika to sumbit. Maybe leading to the creation of Bern.
In my opinion a great episode.
EragurJan 23, 2021 12:19 PM
We'll be together for all eternity.

Jan 23, 2021 12:28 PM

Apr 2013
Thanos_ said:

Ryukishi pretty much is admitting he wrote himself into a corner with Miotsukushi-hen and needs excuses to backpedal. Holy shit, he really is lost without BT there to clean up after him.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.