Forum Settings
Forums

Anime|manga that you had high expectations because everyone hyped but then turned to be a dissapointment

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Mar 2019
The Day I Became A God. Before it's release everyone was hyped because its made by a well known director who made really emotional animes. When the show nearly ended I gave up and dropped it. It had no plot, no story, no progression, nothing. The so called climax is nothing but a tear jerker that doesn't work this time, unfortunately for the director.
Jan 5, 2021 12:07 AM

May 2016
I can't say I've ever had this happen to me yet. Every anime I've seen that has been super hyped has largely lived up to the hype, or at least was good enough to not be considered a disappointment.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 5, 2021 12:12 AM

Sep 2020
I can only think of Noblese right now. I was told that the manhwa was really enjoyable and good, they started to hype it up. To me the plot wasn't too interesting, the art was plain, the fighting scenes are plain too and I felt like it was trying to be funny.
Jan 5, 2021 12:16 AM

Sep 2020
God of Highschool

Tokyo Ghoul

Death Parade

Re:zero

Sword art online

Uzumaki (manga)

Black clover (manga)
Jan 5, 2021 12:20 AM

Jun 2017
Babylon I guess. I started it because I saw people saying it is a good detective story with some nice twists. But what I got was some supernatural powers anime with pseudo intellectual philosophical garbage that doesn't even try to properly dissect the issue it tries to address.
Jan 5, 2021 12:25 AM
Nov 2019
Boku no hero academia, all my anime watching friends said that it was really good and that i should watch it. I stopped watching the anime i was watching and started boku no hero academia. I got bored of it pretty easily because it seemed slow, and I just couldn't do it, so i went back to the anime i was previously watching. I'll end up finishing it one day though.
"𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 π–ˆπ–†π–“ π–œπ–Š 𝖉𝖔... π–‚π–π–Šπ–“ π–žπ–”π–š'π–—π–Š π–Žπ–“π–˜π–†π–“π–Š 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕴'𝖒 π–‘π–”π–˜π–Žπ–“π–Œ π–’π–ž π–’π–Žπ–“π–‰?"
~π–‚π–†π–—π–Šπ–π–”π–šπ–˜π–Š
Jan 5, 2021 12:25 AM

Jan 2018
Tower of god and God of highschool.
First wasn't that amazing

Second was simply bad

If they adapt solo leveling they better get an amazing studio because the visuals are the only thing that makes the hype for that series.
Not hating on korean manga but I haven't seen a good one so far .
Tho I've only read solo leveling and watched the 2 previously mentioned anime adaptations
Jan 5, 2021 12:27 AM

Jan 2018
Leoradiuju2004 said:
Many told me that Angel Beats was the anime with which I would cry the most, a great disappointment because besides that I do not get a tear,it was also very boring.
And everyone spoke very highly of kimetsu no yaiba, so I wanted to see why everyone liked it,I saw it and I did not understand why everyone liked it, maybe it was because of its beautiful animation, oh I hope, it was because of that.

I think the end of angel beats was very touching but there was a lot of boring stuff in between till it gets there
Jan 5, 2021 12:29 AM

May 2016
CuteAssTiger said:
I think the end of angel beats was very touching but there was a lot of boring stuff in between till it gets there

I really liked Angel Beats! a lot, but to call it a tearjerker show is just grossly misleading. It's got many potent emotional moments, but it's more of a dramedy than a tearjerker.

Jan 5, 2021 12:30 AM

Jan 2018
Chrome_Falcon said:
Babylon I guess. I started it because I saw people saying it is a good detective story with some nice twists. But what I got was some supernatural powers anime with pseudo intellectual philosophical garbage that doesn't even try to properly dissect the issue it tries to address.

And what would that be ?
Whenever I see people critique babylon like that then don't really have a point to make.

Elaborate on what the stories owes to do compared to what it does ?

What is the alleged issue it tries to address ?
Jan 5, 2021 12:32 AM

Jan 2018
Zelkiiro said:
CuteAssTiger said:

I really liked Angel Beats! a lot, but to call it a tearjerker show is just grossly misleading. It's got many potent emotional moments, but it's more of a dramedy than a tearjerker.

I enjoyed it too but the good beats come towards the end

Some episodes are just characters doing stuff that is less interesting.
Idk it felt somewhat out of place how it was getting us invested slowly over some events that were whatever
Jan 5, 2021 12:36 AM

May 2016
CuteAssTiger said:
Zelkiiro said:

Idk it felt somewhat out of place how it was getting us invested slowly over some events that were whatever

The thing that Angel Beats! did exceptionally well was the individual stories of the SSS members and their emotional arcs, but a lot of the connective tissue (the shadows, the clones) was utter nonsense. It'd be a 10/10 in my book, easily, if that stuff was cut out.

Jan 5, 2021 12:37 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Fate:UBW
Kara no Kyoukai movie 5 (even tho it did have a few 10/10 elements, it also had a few 1/10 elements mixed in which just ruined the overall "could be a new favorite" thing it had in the beginning)
Steins Gate (thought it was gonna be a 15/10 thing but ended up being just an A tier show due to a lot of incomplete plot threads and a LOT and LOTS of convinience. 8/10)

Jan 5, 2021 12:38 AM

Oct 2015
any of these webtoon adaptations, even if people give a counterpoint of it being rushed i just couldn't see why they're lauded as they are, the characters just suck a lot
Jan 5, 2021 12:40 AM

Jan 2018
EGOIST said:
any of these webtoon adaptations, even if people give a counterpoint of it being rushed i just couldn't see why they're lauded as they are, the characters just suck a lot

People always say the source material bis better but i honestly kind of doubt it.
Some of these stories would have to be completely different in order to be salvageable
Jan 5, 2021 12:42 AM

Jan 2018
Zelkiiro said:
CuteAssTiger said:

The thing that Angel Beats! did exceptionally well was the individual stories of the SSS members and their emotional arcs, but a lot of the connective tissue (the shadows, the clones) was utter nonsense. It'd be a 10/10 in my book, easily, if that stuff was cut out.

Agreed.
Some events were also just kind of weird and random.
Has been a long time since I saw the anime tho
Jan 5, 2021 12:52 AM

Nov 2019
The only one that fits the bill last year is Oregairu Kan. I had my own very low expectation of it after finishing the novel, but it was just trash, even in compare with the two prequels. Its only pro was showing off some cute moments of the characters, but I found them ridiculous and weren't even close to the exact incidents. God damn feel. for making such a good promotion for the original work, but a sore in the eyes to watch. And yeah, I believe the idea dividing volume 14.5 into a sequel also origins from this anime.
SgtBateManJan 6, 2021 11:47 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 5, 2021 1:14 AM

Jun 2020
Jojo part 3 , went in to to see it like its the greatest thing ever with memes ,jotaro ,dio and more dio , but was actually pretty drawn out and became boring too quick.
Also your name.
Jan 5, 2021 1:19 AM

Mar 2016
Monster. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good anime, and I enjoyed it overall. But I was expecting more from it. I am sure that if I hadn't gotten so much "hype", then I actually would've appreciated it more.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Jan 5, 2021 1:22 AM

May 2020
Nothing, I don't ever go into a show with high expectations, that's always going to lead to disappointment.
Jan 5, 2021 1:41 AM

Jun 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
Chrome_Falcon said:

And what would that be ?
Whenever I see people critique babylon like that then don't really have a point to make.

It revolves around the suicide law and tries to address issues regarding whether people should commit suicide or not. Itsuki argues that people should be allowed to commit suicide and it should be legalised under law. But in reality, many people that die by suicide are mentally unstable or suffering from depression. Such people require therapy because they can't make sound judgements. This law allows people to make judgements without considering their mental status. Suicide is an irreversible act and not something that you can just allow people to do in the name of law.

One of the episodes had Istuki "debating" with other politicians about the law. But that debate was a farce. Those politicians each made lone arguments and Itsuki just answered them one by one. They had nothing else to say in response to his rebuttals. I can't call that a debate. This is what I meant by saying that it only tries to do things superficially.

Not to mention there was hardly any public outrage about such a controversial law. They show Japanese people having doubts about it and it magically disappears just with that "debate" I mentioned. Every other country starts adopting this law too and no citizen from these countries had any second thoughts about it.
(I am going to add one more thing that annoyed me with this anime because I wrote so much anyway - The inspector Zen knows that Magase can control men and yet never tried to form an all female investigation team. Magase can't control females as evident from her actions with Sekuro. Magase herself didn't have any clear motivations for her actions either and only looked like a plot device to me to push this idea about suicide law.)
Jan 5, 2021 1:42 AM
Jan 2020
AOT, Hunter x hunter, mob psycho 100
Jan 5, 2021 2:00 AM
Jan 2021
Some stuff I can think of off the top of my head
Naruto: Shippuden - Not saying it was bad it was actually really good I rate it a solid 8.5/10 however with the amount of hype it got I honestly thought it would some the Van Gogh of anime and it wasnt
SAO- No Idea why it gets so much hype Kirito is simply too overpowered and has a fucking harem around him for no reason and does nothing worthwhile by the dynamics between Kirito and Asuna we're pretty good
Tokyo Ghoul- The first season was great but all I heard people say is "Tokyo ghoul is awesome" and after sitting through s2 it was horrible.
Berserk- The manga was hyped up to me and when i watched the 2016 reboot I sat in my bed thinking "what the fuck am i watching"
Jan 5, 2021 2:10 AM
Dec 2017
God of high school for sure. Had a few cool shots and moments but the direction and story development were just so average.
Jan 5, 2021 2:50 AM

Jan 2018
Chrome_Falcon said:
CuteAssTiger said:

And what would that be ?

It revolves around the suicide law and tries to address issues regarding whether people should commit suicide or not. Itsuki argues that people should be allowed to commit suicide and it should be legalised under law. But in reality, many people that die by suicide are mentally unstable or suffering from depression. Such people require therapy because they can't make sound judgements. This law allows people to make judgements without considering their mental status. Suicide is an irreversible act and not something that you can just allow people to do in the name of law.

One of the episodes had Istuki "debating" with other politicians about the law. But that debate was a farce. Those politicians each made lone arguments and Itsuki just answered them one by one. They had nothing else to say in response to his rebuttals. I can't call that a debate. This is what I meant by saying that it only tries to do things superficially.

Not to mention there was hardly any public outrage about such a controversial law. They show Japanese people having doubts about it and it magically disappears just with that "debate" I mentioned. Every other country starts adopting this law too and no citizen from these countries had any second thoughts about it.
(I am going to add one more thing that annoyed me with this anime because I wrote so much anyway - The inspector Zen knows that Magase can control men and yet never tried to form an all female investigation team. Magase can't control females as evident from her actions with Sekuro. Magase herself didn't have any clear motivations for her actions either and only looked like a plot device to me to push this idea about suicide law.)

but babylon isnt at all about actually convincing anybody of suicide .

its about the nature of norms .

think about it .
suicide can not be punished in any way ,shape or form because the person commiting it is already dead. The suicide law itself questions what we consider normal.
There are things that are prohibited bv law that law cant punish anyways.

further the story makes it pretty obvious that it isnt actually advocating for people to kill themselves because magase is a supernatural entity that uses her powers to force people into killing themselves

she is pretty much the personification of evil and sides with the suicide law so what does that tell us about the animes perspective on it ?

the suicide law is discussed within politics of the story and doesnt really come to a conclusion ( it doesnt just say . "a yes . kys is good . we make it legal now" ). but one of the prominent characters ( the president) comes to the conclusion that the correct choice is for life to continue and whatever serves this goal is the correct way of doing things

and this take on the matter is then silenced by the antagonist forcing him to kill himself wich is only stopped because the protagonist kills him first.

in what way does this anime actually advocate for suicide ?

"I can't call that a debate"
well his points are something that cant be easily rebuttled.
But its true that the argument of the other side was poorly prepared.
the "in universe" explanation is that they were just so confident of themselves that they werent ready for it.
wich is a weak explanation as any good politician would make big preparations for that but its in no way the anime saying " look how i destryoed them with facts and logic , suicide good lol ". Look im not saying that debate was fair but interpreting it as the anime trying to make suicide look good in spite of everything else the anime does seems pretty wrong.

"Not to mention there was hardly any public outrage about such a controversial law"

the overall reaction of the viewers and anime community was that way.
something that could not be punished by law is now no longer illegal. so?
of course the suicide law has bigger ramifications as it makes suicide a lot easier etc and also influences many parts of many industries etc .
but i really dont think a lot of people would be outraged by an independent government proposing a really weird law that also seems pointless at first.

different countries provide different takes on assisted suicide and there is no outrage.
Voluntary euthanasia was legalized in the Netherlands (in 2002), Belgium (in 2002), Luxembourg (in 2008), and Canada (in 2016) and i didnt hear anything comming close to outrage about that. The legality of suicide is still being discussed to this day. but i dont see any outrage about that. there are genuine good arguments that think any person should be able to decide for themselves if they want to be alive.

i dont know why you think magase killing sekuro in a different way to tick of zen somehow proofs that she doesnt have influence on females considering there are multiple females present in the first rooftop jump and other instances where magase uses her powers on females.

magase herself is propably some supernatural evil.
her biblical references could hint towards her just being part of humanities nature and she is now here to just end humanity as a whole but i wouldnd say she is a bad antagonist just because she is like that.

she is interesting because of how convincingly she poked holes in zens sense of justice during their interrogation.
she makes it very obvious that he is flawd.

not every antagonist has to stive towards a bigger better goal that justifies them.
trading that for the mystery of a supernatural,maybe omniscient threat that dismantles your sense of justice is pretty thrilling and interesting on its own.

Jan 5, 2021 4:25 AM

Nov 2016
Monster, ngnl it was pretty entertaining until the brainwashing nonsense came along.
Jan 5, 2021 6:36 AM

Jun 2017
@CuteAssTiger
It is about the nature of reforms.

Then some other topic should have been selected for conveying that because suicide law is the worst possible way to go about it. Let me elaborate -
suicide can not be punished in any way ,shape or form because the person commiting it is already dead. The suicide law itself questions what we consider normal.

Yes you can't punish the person once he commits suicide. But it isn't about that. Making suicide legal will simultaneously also make any attempts to stop a suicide illegal because you are going against the person's will. But as I said, people without a sound judgement needs to be stopped. So it advocates people to kill themselves in a roundabout manner by stopping any attempts at an intervention. There should be no punishments for attempted suicide but there shouldn't be a law to allow it either.

Euthanasia is not the same as suicide. It is reviewed by a team of doctors before it is accepted. It is not something that allows impulsiveness. Patient's condition is something incurable in such situations. The decision is not only taken by the patient.

I never said that the anime advocates for suicide. The anime's stance about suicide is correct it doesn't promote suicide but the law is promoting the suicide and everyone (the common people) accepts such a law without much thought. The US president concludes against it but it was already legalised in some other countries without much opposition. Every argument made against this law in the anime was weak af. I find it really unrealistic and this is where my problem lies.
i really dont think a lot of people would be outraged by an independent government proposing a really weird law that also seems pointless at first.

The people affected by this law would oppose it even if outsiders wouldn't.
The legality of suicide is still being discussed to this day. but i dont see any outrage about that. there are genuine good arguments that think any person should be able to decide for themselves if they want to be alive

The discussion wouldn't cause an outrage but the implementation would. Because no matter how justified it looks for a person to end his life, the people close to the said person wouldn't want that to happen and would oppose it.
not every antagonist has to stive towards a bigger better goal that justifies them.
trading that for the mystery of a supernatural,maybe omniscient threat that dismantles your sense of justice is pretty thrilling and interesting on its own.

The sense of justice she dismantles is only about suicide and nothing else. She only tackles justice with this angle. Nothing about homicide, theft or other crimes. I would agree with you if she wasn't so specific about suicide. But limiting her character only for this one idea makes me feel that she is only a plot device.
So there were females in the crowd that jumped off the building? Then I was wrong to make that assumption. I didn't notice that. Magase doesn't control any other females beyond that point and hence I thought she couldn't.
Jan 5, 2021 6:49 AM
Jul 2013
Most animes are described as the best thing ever and end up being bad/lackluster.
Grand Order as a whole is pure cashgrab garbage.
Demon Slayer's only redeeming quality is Ufotable, the series itself is bad.
People classify MHA as amazing. It was entertaining during its first season primarly because it could go through multipile different routes, yet the mangaka constantly goes through the same formula of training arc -> villians -> training arc, and no, the current manga arc isn't better, it suffers from bullshit world building and asspulls for the sake of conflict.
JoJo - lol... literally the king of overhype. Blind JoJo fans insist that this is the best sht ever, even though Araki just throws random ideas every couple of chapters that constantly break the pre-established rules he himself set in his own creation, without any real reason. Villian of the week formula? Just a way to stretch parts and make some more money off them. They contribute absolutely nothing to the story, and those villians are quickly forgotten the moment they are beaten. Bland characters, gimmicky situations for the sake of random bizzareness/meme material, villians established as extremely overpowered from the get-go without real planning on how they'll be beaten, which in return results in constant asspulls during the climaxes of each part, and so on. Funny enough, part 1 and 2 are the most entertaining, if you don't take them seriously, because they are obviously badly written, but making fun of them while watching them is somewhat amusing. Part 3 and onwards, other than a couple few moments, are a complete waste of time, especially since like 90% of each of them is manga-filler aka villian of the week formula grossly pushed without any real reason.
Jan 5, 2021 7:00 AM

Aug 2019
banana fish and bakemonogatari, i absolutely loved bakemonogatari but based on what ive seen people say of it i was expecting more. i havent watched the rest of the monogatari series yet tho. banana fish was not the type of anime id like too much anyways (still thought it was like a 7/10) but same thing, expected a l o t more
Jan 5, 2021 1:25 PM

Jan 2018
@Chrome_Falcon

"Making suicide legal will simultaneously also make any attempts to stop a suicide illegal because you are going against the person's will."

that is not how that works.
i can sell tacos .
and you can try to stop me from doing so . but that doesnt mean that you are commiting a crime .
if we take it to court i will win and will be allowed to sell tacos .
similarly allowing suicide does not automatically mean that trying to convince someone to not kill themselves is suddenly a crime .

thats just not how law works.
if you make something legal then that means that this something is now legal .
nothing more . nothing less.
any action in opposition to this law will have to be specified.

you can stop me from selling tacos if i actually do not have a selling licence or whatever

as previously mentioned there are multiple countries where suicide and assisted Euthanasia are not illegal

"There should be no punishments for attempted suicide but there shouldn't be a law to allow it either."

if you have something that is not punished by law then it is effectively legal.
what you are suggesting is upholding an empty law.

"Euthanasia is not the same as suicide. It is reviewed by a team of doctors before it is accepted. It is not something that allows impulsiveness. Patient's condition is something incurable in such situations. The decision is not only taken by the patient."

that doesnt make it any less suicide.
i can totally see that you want to have more regulations for it ( and i even agree ) but that doesnt make the suggestion of allowing people to do it nonsense.

many people believe in fundamental freedom . that people should be free to do whatever they like with what belongs to them .
and if we deem this freedom as morally just in a way that preventing that freedom is injustice then you have to accept the the logical extreme of that belive .

if you think people should be free to what they want then the suicide law is justice.

you may not belive that . and that is fine. i would even with agree with that.
but most people dont think that.
most people like to think that we as humans are free. ( even though i beg to differ)

"I never said that the anime advocates for suicide."
i mean it kinda sounded that way because you said it argues whenever people should do it or not and that it portraits itsukis view as way to strong but i may have just misinterpreted your overall viewpoint.

" Every argument made against this law in the anime was weak af. I find it really unrealistic and this is where my problem lies."

well we have similar debates in real life that face no drama.
i also dont think that the law was passed off in the other countries without any opposition .

we know that its something debated arround the world in the anime and that it got passed in some places and others not.
we dont see how it plays out.

you are also forgetting that magase is manipulating the entire thing all the time.
just like she fucked those old guys in the beginning to get them to do favors for her.

"The discussion wouldn't cause an outrage but the implementation would. Because no matter how justified it looks for a person to end his life, the people close to the said person wouldn't want that to happen and would oppose it."

we litteraly have places where suicide and assisted euthanasia is legal and there is no huge outrage.
some people might be opposed to it . some may be in babylon as well but there is no outrage. neither in real life nor in babylon.

i really dont see how this is unrealistic when reality shows us evidence that suggests otherwise.

"The sense of justice she dismantles is only about suicide and nothing else. She only tackles justice with this angle. Nothing about homicide, theft or other crimes. I would agree with you if she wasn't so specific about suicide. But limiting her character only for this one idea makes me feel that she is only a plot device."

go back to the interrogation.
she dismantles a lot of his points.
for example how people should be allowed to do what they want because zen was the one sugeesting that yet he judges her on a personal level for fucking the old people.
go back to the interrogation . its pretty good.

its also heavily hinted that magase was behind the blonde girl that jumped of a bridge to fuck with the characters.

Jan 5, 2021 8:09 PM

Jun 2017
@CuteAssTiger
for example how people should be allowed to do what they want because zen was the one sugeesting that yet he judges her on a personal level for fucking the old people.
go back to the interrogation . its pretty good

She did nothing but make Zen question his understanding of laws. She didn't cause a social commotion with it. It was on a personal level that didn't affect anyone else, much less an entire population. It had no bearing for the general direction in which the plot wanted to go. So in the end her only role was to create discussions about suicide law. So I still believe that she was only a plot device.
i can totally see that you want to have more regulations for it ( and i even agree ) but that doesnt make the suggestion of allowing people to do it nonsense.

we litteraly have places where suicide and assisted euthanasia is legal and there is no huge outrage.
some people might be opposed to it . some may be in babylon as well but there is no outrage. neither in real life nor in babylon.

We don't have any country where suicide is legal. Assisted suicide and euthanasia is legal in some countries but they are not the same. And it is always applied in context of patients that have terminal illness or unbearable pain. Look it up if you want. Everything else you said about suicide law hinges on this wrong assumption.
I don't know how well the comparison between suicide and selling tacos holds. I am not a lawyer. Someone with a law background would be able to judge that. But I believe that the law is fundamentally flawed and you can't change my mind about it. I have no intention of dragging this argument any further and wasting more of my time. The topic of discussion was about how the anime was a disappointment for me and I have given my reasons for it. Bye.
Jan 5, 2021 8:19 PM

Jul 2020
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Although now I understand that its one of those anime that people really love or really hate. I wouldn't say I hate it, but I was disappointed.

The movie, however, I enjoyed.
Jan 5, 2021 8:39 PM
Jan 2012
Probably Beck.

It wasn't bad at all, the story was good and the characters were fine. I would have rated it much higher had I read the manga instead, because DEAR GOD THE ENGRISH WAS UNBEARABLE. I don't have expectations when it comes to English fluency, if I hear bad English in an anime I have no problems with that and can just shrug it off. The problem with Beck was the fact that we had characters who they were propping up like "holy shit this guy's English is good! So fluent!" despite how awful the English was, and they gave them so many English lines that it felt like 1/4th of the dialogue was in English. I know this is very much a personal problem, especially considering the series was made for Japanese people so it's unfair for me to criticize it for this, but I just couldn't help but cringe every time they spoke English. The series doesn't deserve my criticism, this is just based on my own shit experience with the show.

Also, Your Lie in April. The characters fucking suck, and I watched enough to see two musical competitions where literally the same shit happens with the main character each time with him playing decently, then choking cause of his trauma, and then getting over it and impressing people. At least, that's how I remember it, it was a very forgettable 13 episodes. I'm going to finish this show one of these days, but as it stands, from what I've seen I can't help but be disappointed with it. Even the spoiler I found out about doesn't help
Jan 5, 2021 8:40 PM

Apr 2019
rezero, didn't really like it at all.

Jan 5, 2021 8:44 PM

May 2020
Cowboy Bebop and Code Geass for me. I've watched the first couple episodes for both and just haven't felt the urge to keep going. I know both are supposed to be amazing but man, I just wasn't hooked.
Jan 5, 2021 8:50 PM
Jul 2020
Taradora, Grand blue, Bunny girl senpai, Ouran high school club, Fugou keij, Re zer, Yuri on ice. Damn i just wrote a whole list lmao
Jan 5, 2021 8:52 PM
Jul 2020
ulriee said:
I can only think of Noblese right now. I was told that the manhwa was really enjoyable and good, they started to hype it up. To me the plot wasn't too interesting, the art was plain, the fighting scenes are plain too and I felt like it was trying to be funny.

Agree with this, well it's not that hype actually but yeah sum friends has recomended me this anime and meh it was plain and not very interesting
Jan 5, 2021 8:53 PM

Feb 2019
Log horizon
I heard many people said its better than sao or bla bla bla bla

But it was totally garbage
Jan 5, 2021 8:54 PM
Jul 2020
9000 said:
rezero, didn't really like it at all.

Yess omg, it was really boring. I tried to watch that anime 3 times and sleep each times so yeah... i dont get the hype
Jan 5, 2021 8:56 PM
Aug 2020
I can't get into Re:Zero at all. The voice acting is way too over the top and the facial expressions are too exaggerated that most of the "dark" scenes come off as unintentionally hilarious. I also don't really give a shit about the characters, none of them are particularly interesting, and some of them like Subaru and Rem are annoying af. It's such a shame, because the concept of the show is really interesting, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Jan 5, 2021 9:03 PM

Dec 2019
Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa). I always wondered what all the fuss was about so when I started watching it I had really high expectations for it (after all, it used to be the highest rated movie on MAL). Then when I finished it, I just thought "That was good, but damn that really wasn't as good as people said it was". Everyone told me it was a masterpiece but to me it was kind of a let down.
Jan 5, 2021 9:29 PM
Oct 2020
PLEASE DO NOT KILL ME, Steel Ball Run. While I still enjoyed it and would probably watch an anime adaptation, I found more than a few issues with the plot, characters, and overall structure. In the end it was a lot of fun but nowhere near the masterpiece I was promised.
Jan 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Nov 2010
OnionKnightRises said:
Probably Beck.

It wasn't bad at all, the story was good and the characters were fine. I would have rated it much higher had I read the manga instead, because DEAR GOD THE ENGRISH WAS UNBEARABLE. I don't have expectations when it comes to English fluency, if I hear bad English in an anime I have no problems with that and can just shrug it off. The problem with Beck was the fact that we had characters who they were propping up like "holy shit this guy's English is good! So fluent!" despite how awful the English was, and they gave them so many English lines that it felt like 1/4th of the dialogue was in English. I know this is very much a personal problem, especially considering the series was made for Japanese people so it's unfair for me to criticize it for this, but I just couldn't help but cringe every time they spoke English. The series doesn't deserve my criticism, this is just based on my own shit experience with the show.

I fully understand you because this is also one of my pet peeves when it comes to anime and Japanese games. Somehow voice actors that can deliver their foreign language lines with relative fluency are rare when in my opinion it should always be one of the main requirements for the (foreign character)role they are applying for. Since they are professionals you would expect them to practice pronouncing their lines for as long as it takes before recording so that they get them at least somewhat right, but apparently that's not a thing. It also feels like the studios don't even care to do retakes when recording and just go with the first attempt no matter how scuffed it is. I really doubt a few retakes would really take that much time.

English is usually at least understandable but when it comes to Chinese/Korean/German/French etc. on it usually just sounds like gibberish.

As for the thread topic itself I can't remember watching any hyped show that wasn't at least somewhat decent.
OrochiroJan 5, 2021 9:37 PM
Jan 5, 2021 9:55 PM

Aug 2020
Rezero season one ended up being an amalgamation of a lot of mediocre parts, supplemented by a quite a few genuinely terrible parts and if people think this is the best isekai I'd rather not see what the worst one is

Most of jojo but especially part 3

The promised neverland s1 is just meh w/ some very weird writing choices even though I see it get called the "best" shounen
Jan 5, 2021 10:12 PM
Dec 2020
For me, it was Toradora. I anticipated a great rom-com, and instead I just got a melodramatic soap opera with unlikeable characters, doing stupid stuff, making stupid decisions, with a stupid romance and a stupid ending (Disclaimer: Personal Opinion). I was ambivalent about it after I finished it, and my view on the show has only gotten more unkind as time goes by.

Interestingly enough, I had the exact opposite thing happen to me with Bunny Girl Senpai, where I got anti-hyped by the top MAL reviews enough to skip watching it, cuz they made it sound like a piece of overrated garbage, with lots of 2s and 1s; I assumed it was just a bunch of Bunny Girl Simps jacking up the rating. Then, on a whim when I was bored 6 months later, I decided to check it out anyway, cuz I liked the art style and the memes were funny. It ended up becoming one of my favorite anime I’ve seen so far, with the movie easily being my favorite anime movie I’ve ever seen (though it’s only competing with SAO Ordinal Scale there, so not exactly a high bar to clear for first place). It just hit different, and was way better than I expected, and even when I expected the movie to be great, it still blew me away.
Jan 5, 2021 10:16 PM

May 2020
Jojo Part 7. It's one of the top rate manga on MAL and nothing about it made me think that it was as good a people make it out to be.
Jan 5, 2021 10:17 PM

Apr 2020
fmab, but apparently its just atla but with alchemists
Jan 5, 2021 11:17 PM

Jan 2018
Chrome_Falcon said:
@CuteAssTiger
go back to the interrogation . its pretty good

She did nothing but make Zen question his understanding of laws. She didn't cause a social commotion with it. It was on a personal level that didn't affect anyone else, much less an entire population. It had no bearing for the general direction in which the plot wanted to go. So in the end her only role was to create discussions about suicide law. So I still believe that she was only a plot device.

We don't have any country where suicide is legal. Assisted suicide and euthanasia is legal in some countries but they are not the same. And it is always applied in context of patients that have terminal illness or unbearable pain. Look it up if you want. Everything else you said about suicide law hinges on this wrong assumption.
I don't know how well the comparison between suicide and selling tacos holds. I am not a lawyer. Someone with a law background would be able to judge that. But I believe that the law is fundamentally flawed and you can't change my mind about it. I have no intention of dragging this argument any further and wasting more of my time. The topic of discussion was about how the anime was a disappointment for me and I have given my reasons for it. Bye.

"She didn't cause a social commotion with it?"

so ? you are missing the point
she was interesting because of how she invalidated his perspective on justice.

You are just willfully ignoring nuance right now.

Makishima shogo killing tsunemoris friend in psycho pass didnt proof anything to anybody else then himself and tsunemori. so what ? That doesnt make him a plot device.
Your argument doesnt make sense here because the reasoning is unrelated.

"We don't have any country where suicide is legal"

except it takes a 1 minute google search to find out that isnt true at all ?

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation"

" I have no intention of dragging this argument any further and wasting more of my time."

well i guess valid arguments are " wasting time " now.
i mentioned in the beginning that people that just say babylon is bad usually dont have any point to make and that i was curious because of that.
sadly there was still no point here.
and the realization that this is the case is apparently a "waste of time"

CuteAssTigerJan 5, 2021 11:23 PM
Jan 5, 2021 11:43 PM

Jun 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
Chrome_Falcon said:
@CuteAssTiger

"She didn't cause a social commotion with it?"

so ? you are missing the point
she was interesting because of how she invalidated his perspective on justice.

You are just willfully ignoring nuance right now.

Makishima shogo killing tsunemoris friend in psycho pass didnt proof anything to anybody else then himself and tsunemori. so what ? That doesnt make him a plot device.
Your argument doesnt make sense here because the reasoning is unrelated.

"We don't have any country where suicide is legal"

except it takes a 1 minute google search to find out that isnt true at all ?

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation"

" I have no intention of dragging this argument any further and wasting more of my time."

well i guess valid arguments are " wasting time " now.

You can't be serious. The link that you have posted literally states that "wikipedia doesn't have an article with this name". Stop trying to get proof for something that doesn't exist.

Edit - that link includes " symbol too. So it didn't show up when I pressed it. I see there is an entry for it. But what it states by suicide legislation is that the person committing suicide shouldn't be punished for that act. It is "decriminalised". It is different from a law that states "any one that wants to commit suicide should be allowed to do so". So the link you posted has nothing to do with the law in the anime.
i mentioned in the beginning that people that just say babylon is bad usually dont have any point to make and that i was curious because of that.
sadly there was still no point here.

If that is what you want to believe by all means do so. Ignoring the points made and believing only you are right will not take the debate anywhere. I made it clear why I hate it. You don't have to agree with me about it. I am not trying to convince you to hate it. But you seem to be trying to impose your opinion on me that is why I said it is a waste of time. @CuteAssTiger
Chrome_FalconJan 6, 2021 12:15 AM
Jan 5, 2021 11:58 PM
Nov 2020
You've got a shit taste mate. Sorry to say, but all those anime are greatest animes ever.
Well not helping it, you're 13 and don't understand complex world issues yet.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» thoughts on users that have a mean score of below 5?

deg - 1 hour ago

11 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - Yesterday

61 by Memore »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

21 by Scyfher »»
8 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

88 by MadanielFL »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 3 hours ago

21 by animegamer245 »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.