Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2020 11:57 PM
Dec 2015
Harsha1314 said:
Malikah said:

Another person (Tyfyazzela) just replied to me letting me know that the manga is no better when it comes to details for this episode. Because I didn't read the manga, I thought that the author must have made it clear and understandable within the manga, yet I came to know that even readers of the manga has gotten confused for a bit by the story-line. Of course, this way no one can actually blame the studio if the author themselves didn't make it all that obvious. I even came to know that Mappa actually added a scene near the end that was supposed to come later in the story to make it more convenient for the anime fans. I don't know which scene this was, but if this is true, then Bravo Mappa for doing so. (If you know which scene that was, please let me know of it)
However, I'll still stand by what I said when it comes to improving the CGI and animation a bit more.
im afraid by animation standards this is peak for AOT s4. but cgi and titan action is going to have massive improvements from the next titan fights that we can be sure of especially for beast titan and maybe armoured? personally i think armoured titan looked good, maybe they'll reduce the rather slo mo scenes of him moving. Also i still stand by saying that the animation is great even for aot standards. maybe its the artstyle that u want to point out which im completely fine with but thats not going to change

Well I hope so. And, yes, I agree that the armoured titan should have less slow motion scenes. I mean, he's supposed to be fast and strong, so let's not dull this down by giving him way too much slow motion scenes. As for the art style, I still hope for better facial expressions and even with the animation I was not impressed by that happy jump that Gabby did after blowing up the railways. It's a war and she could have been shot dead, so there are no times or spaces to be childish. Anyways, let's hope for the best in the future.
Dec 10, 2020 12:52 AM
Dec 2020
Malikah said:
Harsha1314 said:
im afraid by animation standards this is peak for AOT s4. but cgi and titan action is going to have massive improvements from the next titan fights that we can be sure of especially for beast titan and maybe armoured? personally i think armoured titan looked good, maybe they'll reduce the rather slo mo scenes of him moving. Also i still stand by saying that the animation is great even for aot standards. maybe its the artstyle that u want to point out which im completely fine with but thats not going to change

Well I hope so. And, yes, I agree that the armoured titan should have less slow motion scenes. I mean, he's supposed to be fast and strong, so let's not dull this down by giving him way too much slow motion scenes. As for the art style, I still hope for better facial expressions and even with the animation I was not impressed by that happy jump that Gabby did after blowing up the railways. It's a war and she could have been shot dead, so there are no times or spaces to be childish. Anyways, let's hope for the best in the future.
that gabi one is a classic "this is anime guys" scene and i totally agree her jumping was a little awkward even in the manga
Dec 10, 2020 1:03 AM

Jul 2011
Man, I'm so fucking disappointed. 8 fps titans and no one bats an eye. The beast titan looks laughable... Like a plastic toy.

And that opening.. what even
Dec 10, 2020 3:10 AM
Dec 2020
Selenehakz said:
Tyfyazzela said:

Btw I was not talking about the story as a whole. I was talking about the storytelling of the manga. I know many people love how Isayama writes the story and connects the points with past events. I always had a problem with that. I kinda found it problematic when he suddenly dumps a lot of information and touches the bits of it way later. And he relies on foreshadowing too much imo. Well it's my perspective though. Do I love the story as a whole? Yes. But the storytelling sometimes threw me off. And it's natural for anime watchers to be confused. I always watch people's reactions on Youtube after an episode has been aired. I've seen some youtubers complaining about the story direction in the last episode of s3 p2. And they admitted that they're gonna drop the anime. And I've also seen people complaining the whole time "where's the main cast, show us Eren bla bla" while watching the 1st episode of s4, without even paying attention to the details.
In short there will always be people who are complaining. Just because we are manga readers we might feel irritated sometimes. But it's quite natural for anime watchers to raise questions. They want answers. And sometimes when a character or some specific element of a story changes off-screen, the anime watchers will always get confused and will complain. That is inevitable.

Yeah, the same thing goes to the people who dropped the manga when chapter 91 first released due to the new perspective and when chapter 98-99 were launched, they joined again lmao. And from what I’ve seen from any manga readers who binged the series, they do agree that in order for chapter 98-100 became impactful, the start of getting into Marley’s perspective is necessary for the build ups
yea. you put it in a great way. that'll clear things up for most of the people reading this hopefully
Dec 10, 2020 4:10 AM
Dec 2015
Harsha1314 said:
Malikah said:

that gabi one is a classic "this is anime guys" scene and i totally agree her jumping was a little awkward even in the manga

I mean, yeah, anime or not, That hurrah jumping moment was unsuitable for the sitting.
Dec 10, 2020 6:12 AM
Mar 2019
Malikah said:
Harsha1314 said:

It's funny because Gabi's happy jump and her facial expressions as well as the facial expressions of other main characters in this episode are almost exactly the same as in the manga. As a manga reader I love it but I can understand the anime onlys because they are used to WIT's artstyle even though MAPPA's artstyle is more faithful to the manga.
Dec 10, 2020 6:57 AM

Aug 2015
Can someone explain to me who are the marlyans fighting against? I really didint uderstand, does that war have anything to do with marlyans vs paradis or is a different war?
Dec 10, 2020 6:59 AM
Dec 2015
AlexConrado said:
Can someone explain to me who are the marlyans fighting against? I really didint uderstand, does that war have anything to do with marlyans vs paradis or is a different war?

in episode 1 is marlyans vs middle east alliance that is climax war after 4 years
Dec 10, 2020 7:30 AM
Oct 2020
Very good start, i knew that Mappa wouldn't fuck up this one. I think we will get what we deserve. Really good adaptation of the manga. First time for me, that i already know what is gonna happen. I just hope, they don't rush it too much.
Dec 10, 2020 8:09 AM

Jan 2019
UminekoBattler19 said:
Very good start, i knew that Mappa wouldn't fuck up this one. I think we will get what we deserve. Really good adaptation of the manga. First time for me, that i already know what is gonna happen. I just hope, they don't rush it too much.

But they did. Worst adaptation of the manga so far.
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Dec 10, 2020 8:22 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i think its pretty obvious who the kids are lol
Dec 10, 2020 8:35 AM
Sep 2020
Its just getting less rating just for fucking CGI.why you have to use CGI.But it's just episode 1.please mappa you can do better.everything is awesome except CGI
Dec 10, 2020 9:15 AM

Jan 2015
AlexConrado said:

Middle East alliance.

The war started once they heard Marley lost the colossal Titan and Female Titan meaning they are losing power as a nation. Other countries thought it was the perfect time to take them down since they are weaker than ever before.
Dec 10, 2020 9:22 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Really good episode!

CGI was not as bad as Twitter and MAL whiners made it out to be. Yes no CGI would be better, but I don't know if I really wanted to wait 2-3 years for the final season when the manga will be over by then and all the hype for AoT would die down a lot.

One criticism I do have is the OST. Haven't heard anything from previous seasons and all we have heard was the song from the PV months ago. I hope it's just like that for this one episode, because the song used did fit this episode nicely. Just hope we get more AoT sounding OST's coming up.
Dec 10, 2020 9:44 AM
Dec 2015
Fuji-O said:
Malikah said:

It's funny because Gabi's happy jump and her facial expressions as well as the facial expressions of other main characters in this episode are almost exactly the same as in the manga. As a manga reader I love it but I can understand the anime onlys because they are used to WIT's artstyle even though MAPPA's artstyle is more faithful to the manga.

It's not the art style that is not suitable, it's the adding of this jump by the author within this situation. As I explained above, it's a war scene, so she cannot be acting how she pleases or how one would act in safer environments. In such circumstances, it's more suitable to have no time for such a thing and actually immediately start escaping her position after she blew the railways. But, to stand there jumping and screaming hurrah before starting to run is just inconvenient for the situation IMHO.
Dec 10, 2020 9:58 AM
Feb 2016
I’ve watched the first episode around 3 times on my own and over a dozen times from anime-only live reactions on YouTube. Those are always something to have a field day with every season, and are part of the whole enjoyment post-watching the episode on your own.

Obviously I’m only reviewing this based on the first episode, so it’s way too early to judge The Final Season as a whole. However, I will say that my strategy to keep my expectations low definitely worked. I was very hyped, don’t get me wrong, but after Season 3 Part 2, I realized that production and scheduling has never been this show’s strong suite and things behind the scenes were always chaotic. And it was my mistake to realize it this late and have unrealistically high expectations of the manga’s adaptation.

But enough about that. I’m just gonna say it right now. I absolutely loved this episode and was completely blown away by it. It was a rollercoaster ride from start to finish and boy, the staff wasn’t kidding when they said the first episode was like a movie. It definitely felt like that, and it went by in a flash. Now, on to the individual points.

STORY/ADAPTATION:

Flawless. Everything was executed perfectly and went beyond my expectations. The thing that stood out to me the most was how many things were changed from the PV in terms of scene construction, camera angles, and overall storyboards. There was only one shot that we reused from the PV, namely the one with Zeke and Reiner inside the airship where they’re referred to as the spear and shield. Everything else was redone, which was a huge surprise. Wit was always very faithful to the original manga panels with how they used them as a big reference for most of their cuts, but this one changes them up a lot. Personally, I am 100% fine with it and as someone who has read these chapters in the manga dozens of times over the past few years, seeing them like this was a pleasant and very welcome surprise.

The anime-only additions here are notable and also quite welcome. Falco’s line in the beginning in particular stood out the most in the long-run, but the addition of the Eldians’ terror being shown as well as the scene before the ED was very welcome. I would like to assume that this was Isayama’s doing as whenever the anime usually adds/changes up things, it’s his request to do so. He sort of considers the anime to be the “definitive” version of the story that he, for one reason or another, couldn’t do in the manga himself when that particular chapter came out. Season 3 Part 1 (The Uprising Arc) is a prime example for this. Once again, I’m very content with what was done here and I trust MAPPA will do the story justice.

A small but very neat thing is the fact that we got to keep the title cards and the info eyecatches mid-episode. Really added to the whole sense of consistency.

ANIMATION:

When the initial trailer came out, many people were concerned about Shigeki Asakawa (Director of Photography)’s odd and excessive usage of blur filters on top of the scenes and were wondering if they would remain in the final product, given her track record with other shows like The God of Highschool. Luckily, that is not the case here as the scenes look very clean and the minimal blur on top adds a bit to the muddy/gritty atmosphere of what’s going on. Personally, I don’t mind it at all and I barely notice it anyway. MAPPA’s biggest strength to me is the usage of effects like blood and explosions. You feel the impact of everything and with such an action-packed episode, it made everything so much better.

The usage of 3D CGI for the Titan Shifters has been the biggest controversy surrounding this first episode. When I first watched it, it didn’t bother me at all. Personally I care more about a model fitting in the action sequence rather than how it looks for the most part. Right now I would say I’m neutral. It’s not the greatest CG ever conceived in anime but it definitely does not look out of place and is pretty decent. For the Jaw Titan, I couldn’t tell what was CG and what wasn’t for the most part. For the other Titans it’s more obvious, but it’s not too jarring. Obviously, if it was up to me and the production committee/NHK didn’t push their scheduling shenanigans onto MAPPA, I would have gotten every Titan in 2D, but you can’t have everything. If they choose to focus on more important scenes later on and cut corners in this first episode as a result, that’s understandable. I can live with it. And again, even then, it’s not that bad in my eyes.

Now, the character designs are just absolutely stellar. In multiple interviews, it’s been stated that they wanted to stay true to Kyoji Asano’s designs at Wit while also being consistent with Isayama’s style in the manga. And boy did they absolutely nail it. It’s exactly what as they said. Tomohiro Kishi could not have done a better job with the characters we’ve seen so far and I am beyond impressed with his work. I look forward to seeing the rest of the characters in this arc.

SOUND:

I’ve been following Kohta Yamamoto’s works for a few years now, ever since he started working with Sawano (and being mentored by him to an extent) in early 2017. Although he’s been involved with AoT before, particularly with the character songs in Season 2, whenever those two would collaborate on a project it would usually be because Sawano is too busy to compose a full soundtrack. So what usually happens is, Sawano does one track and variations of it (think ShingekiNoKyojin, ThanksAT and T-KT), and nothing else. Meanwhile, Yamamoto handles the rest of the music for the show. On top of that, Yamamoto’s style as a composer is different from Sawano’s as he comes from a rock/guitarist background as opposed to Sawano, who is a pianist and is classically trained. My biggest concern for The Final Season was that we would get a similar case as with the other shows where Sawano doesn’t put in too much effort, while Yamamoto essentially becomes the main composer. Although it looks like this is in fact the case after this first episode, let me explain why I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

After the premiere of the first episode, both Sawano and Yamamoto tweeted that it was in fact Yamamoto who is handling the majority of the Marley Arc’s music. And after this first episode, I have to say I’m impressed. His initial track that he made for the PV was a bit off-putting to me because it sounded like every epic blockbuster Hollywood trailer background track ever, but after the way it was used in this episode alongside a few other tracks, I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. It fits what’s going on, and overall delivers a fresh sound to the show that is very appropriate given the massive change in narrative. Back during S3 Part 1, Sawano stated in an interview that he was already burned out and had trouble coming up with new music for AoT given how many tracks he had already composed for it. Given how few new melodies were in S3 Part 2;s music, I think this should be clear. Especially now that we’re going into yet another season. To summarize, I think Yamamoto’s work here is a result of three conditions that just happened to line up perfectly. The change in narrative, which the new composer style reflects. Sawano being busy. And Sawano being burned out with AoT. Now personally I still believe we’re going to get at least one new original Sawano track with variations of it for the big climax moments this arc, and he may compose more music for the 2nd half of this 16-episode season, since that’s technically a new arc. But we’ll see. As a whole though, I’m satisfied with what I’ve heard from Kohta Yamamoto in this first episode.

The last point to make in regards to the sound is Masafumi Mima who, apart from Sawano, the voice cast, and some freelancers, is the only one from the previous seasons’ staff members to return here. And once again, his work here is absolutely phenomenal. The mixing and usage of sound effects in this episode was stellar and truly felt like I was watching a war movie. It enhanced the action tenfold and I could not want it any better. Music usage is something that goes through the director (Yuichiro Hayashi), but ultimately the sound director is the one who implements the track (instrument layering/stem editing) and does the mixing. The usage of Kohta Yamamoto’s music here was very well done, and although the track from the PV repeated quite a bit, it didn’t get repetitive at all. Also, the sound director remaining consistent here means we got to keep things like the titan transformation sound effects, which may be a small thing but was very welcome and added to the whole consistency.

OPENING/ENDING:

I’m gonna wait until Shinsei Kamattechan releases the full version of the opening in a single or album to fully judge the song, but boy do I love this opening. Although I’m not sure if the TV-size version is my favorite AoT opening yet, I have to say that it’s without a doubt the most fitting OP this show has had until this point. It perfectly showcases the themes of war that this arc focuses on and has this lowkey disturbing eerie vibe with the dissonant chords and mixing of the vocals that feels just as “mysterious” and “tense” as the show itself. I love it so much, honestly. Now, Isayama was a fan of Shinsei Kamattechan prior to them doing the S2 ED, and was the one who got them on-board to do it. Although that song isn’t really my thing it’s also a perfect fit, which leads me to believe that Isayama himself most likely chose the band again, namely to do this OP. And it’s fantastic. I love the song. The visuals also have a very distinct style with all the colors and white backgrounds and I love how it’s more metaphorical and symbolic (I guess “abstract” as well?) rather than flat-out just spoiling everything like the last arc’s OP did.

The ED by Yuko Ando is fantastic. The first time I listened to the full song on its own I couldn’t stop getting chills. Love the production aspects of the song and it’s just really nice altogether. The visuals are quite interesting especially towards the end and I also like them a lot. Not much else to say about the ED. It’s amazing. Go listen to it.

CONCLUSION:

As a whole, I kept my expectations extremely low prior to the premiere despite my hype. As a result of that, not only were they exceeded, I was absolutely blown away by this first episode in pretty much every way. It may still be too early to judge, but from what has been shown here so far, I am absolutely looking forward to see MAPPA adapt the rest of this amazing story, or about as far as they can get with 16 episodes.

Sorry this turned into an essay but I would rather do it once like this rather than write a review and have to give a concrete rating on the first episode alone. Hope it was a good read!
Dec 10, 2020 10:18 AM

Jul 2019
LeapingTitan said:

Sorry this turned into an essay but I would rather do it once like this rather than write a review and have to give a concrete rating on the first episode alone. Hope it was a good read!

You absolutely nailed it, this is probably the best,and most objective review i have seen so far and also very close to my opinion.
Dec 10, 2020 10:34 AM
Mar 2019
Malikah said:
Fuji-O said:

It's not the art style that is not suitable, it's the adding of this jump by the author within this situation. As I explained above, it's a war scene, so she cannot be acting how she pleases or how one would act in safer environments. In such circumstances, it's more suitable to have no time for such a thing and actually immediately start escaping her position after she blew the railways. But, to stand there jumping and screaming hurrah before starting to run is just inconvenient for the situation IMHO.

Jumping and screaming hurrah during the dangerous situation in the middle of a war might be unsuitable for a normal person but this is Gabi we are talking about here. Nothing about her or her psyche is normal. You will learn that she is one of the most psychologically unstable and emotionally driven character in the series, logic and composure aren't her forte lol. EDIT : After rewatching the episode I noticed that she is even kinda laughing amd grinning while being shot at ! Gabi is crazy.

Momentay said:
UminekoBattler19 said:

Definitely the most faithful one though.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeDec 26, 2020 2:37 PM
Dec 10, 2020 10:59 AM
Dec 2020
Fuji-O said:
Harsha1314 said:
in the end it will still be attack on titan believe me its just this one episode

Well it was foreshadowed throughout the whole season 3 that this is what the story is going to be about, although in the later episodes there will be definitely a lot of season 1 vibes too.
yeah. everyone is going to enjoy that totally

Fuji-O said:
Momentay said:

how can he quote it as worst. its just one episode and it was actually great with a lot of gorgeous shots such as the middle east alliances fort and inner set up. people like this will just keep giving everyone the wrong idea and i wouldnt be surprised if he is a completely different person after ep 4

LeapingTitan said:
I’ve watched the first episode around 3 times on my own and over a dozen times from anime-only live reactions on YouTube. Those are always something to have a field day with every season, and are part of the whole enjoyment post-watching the episode on your own.

Obviously I’m only reviewing this based on the first episode, so it’s way too early to judge The Final Season as a whole. However, I will say that my strategy to keep my expectations low definitely worked. I was very hyped, don’t get me wrong, but after Season 3 Part 2, I realized that production and scheduling has never been this show’s strong suite and things behind the scenes were always chaotic. And it was my mistake to realize it this late and have unrealistically high expectations of the manga’s adaptation.

But enough about that. I’m just gonna say it right now. I absolutely loved this episode and was completely blown away by it. It was a rollercoaster ride from start to finish and boy, the staff wasn’t kidding when they said the first episode was like a movie. It definitely felt like that, and it went by in a flash. Now, on to the individual points.

STORY/ADAPTATION:

Flawless. Everything was executed perfectly and went beyond my expectations. The thing that stood out to me the most was how many things were changed from the PV in terms of scene construction, camera angles, and overall storyboards. There was only one shot that we reused from the PV, namely the one with Zeke and Reiner inside the airship where they’re referred to as the spear and shield. Everything else was redone, which was a huge surprise. Wit was always very faithful to the original manga panels with how they used them as a big reference for most of their cuts, but this one changes them up a lot. Personally, I am 100% fine with it and as someone who has read these chapters in the manga dozens of times over the past few years, seeing them like this was a pleasant and very welcome surprise.

The anime-only additions here are notable and also quite welcome. Falco’s line in the beginning in particular stood out the most in the long-run, but the addition of the Eldians’ terror being shown as well as the scene before the ED was very welcome. I would like to assume that this was Isayama’s doing as whenever the anime usually adds/changes up things, it’s his request to do so. He sort of considers the anime to be the “definitive” version of the story that he, for one reason or another, couldn’t do in the manga himself when that particular chapter came out. Season 3 Part 1 (The Uprising Arc) is a prime example for this. Once again, I’m very content with what was done here and I trust MAPPA will do the story justice.

A small but very neat thing is the fact that we got to keep the title cards and the info eyecatches mid-episode. Really added to the whole sense of consistency.

ANIMATION:

When the initial trailer came out, many people were concerned about Shigeki Asakawa (Director of Photography)’s odd and excessive usage of blur filters on top of the scenes and were wondering if they would remain in the final product, given her track record with other shows like The God of Highschool. Luckily, that is not the case here as the scenes look very clean and the minimal blur on top adds a bit to the muddy/gritty atmosphere of what’s going on. Personally, I don’t mind it at all and I barely notice it anyway. MAPPA’s biggest strength to me is the usage of effects like blood and explosions. You feel the impact of everything and with such an action-packed episode, it made everything so much better.

The usage of 3D CGI for the Titan Shifters has been the biggest controversy surrounding this first episode. When I first watched it, it didn’t bother me at all. Personally I care more about a model fitting in the action sequence rather than how it looks for the most part. Right now I would say I’m neutral. It’s not the greatest CG ever conceived in anime but it definitely does not look out of place and is pretty decent. For the Jaw Titan, I couldn’t tell what was CG and what wasn’t for the most part. For the other Titans it’s more obvious, but it’s not too jarring. Obviously, if it was up to me and the production committee/NHK didn’t push their scheduling shenanigans onto MAPPA, I would have gotten every Titan in 2D, but you can’t have everything. If they choose to focus on more important scenes later on and cut corners in this first episode as a result, that’s understandable. I can live with it. And again, even then, it’s not that bad in my eyes.

Now, the character designs are just absolutely stellar. In multiple interviews, it’s been stated that they wanted to stay true to Kyoji Asano’s designs at Wit while also being consistent with Isayama’s style in the manga. And boy did they absolutely nail it. It’s exactly what as they said. Tomohiro Kishi could not have done a better job with the characters we’ve seen so far and I am beyond impressed with his work. I look forward to seeing the rest of the characters in this arc.

SOUND:

I’ve been following Kohta Yamamoto’s works for a few years now, ever since he started working with Sawano (and being mentored by him to an extent) in early 2017. Although he’s been involved with AoT before, particularly with the character songs in Season 2, whenever those two would collaborate on a project it would usually be because Sawano is too busy to compose a full soundtrack. So what usually happens is, Sawano does one track and variations of it (think ShingekiNoKyojin, ThanksAT and T-KT), and nothing else. Meanwhile, Yamamoto handles the rest of the music for the show. On top of that, Yamamoto’s style as a composer is different from Sawano’s as he comes from a rock/guitarist background as opposed to Sawano, who is a pianist and is classically trained. My biggest concern for The Final Season was that we would get a similar case as with the other shows where Sawano doesn’t put in too much effort, while Yamamoto essentially becomes the main composer. Although it looks like this is in fact the case after this first episode, let me explain why I don’t think it’s a bad thing.

After the premiere of the first episode, both Sawano and Yamamoto tweeted that it was in fact Yamamoto who is handling the majority of the Marley Arc’s music. And after this first episode, I have to say I’m impressed. His initial track that he made for the PV was a bit off-putting to me because it sounded like every epic blockbuster Hollywood trailer background track ever, but after the way it was used in this episode alongside a few other tracks, I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. It fits what’s going on, and overall delivers a fresh sound to the show that is very appropriate given the massive change in narrative. Back during S3 Part 1, Sawano stated in an interview that he was already burned out and had trouble coming up with new music for AoT given how many tracks he had already composed for it. Given how few new melodies were in S3 Part 2;s music, I think this should be clear. Especially now that we’re going into yet another season. To summarize, I think Yamamoto’s work here is a result of three conditions that just happened to line up perfectly. The change in narrative, which the new composer style reflects. Sawano being busy. And Sawano being burned out with AoT. Now personally I still believe we’re going to get at least one new original Sawano track with variations of it for the big climax moments this arc, and he may compose more music for the 2nd half of this 16-episode season, since that’s technically a new arc. But we’ll see. As a whole though, I’m satisfied with what I’ve heard from Kohta Yamamoto in this first episode.

The last point to make in regards to the sound is Masafumi Mima who, apart from Sawano, the voice cast, and some freelancers, is the only one from the previous seasons’ staff members to return here. And once again, his work here is absolutely phenomenal. The mixing and usage of sound effects in this episode was stellar and truly felt like I was watching a war movie. It enhanced the action tenfold and I could not want it any better. Music usage is something that goes through the director (Yuichiro Hayashi), but ultimately the sound director is the one who implements the track (instrument layering/stem editing) and does the mixing. The usage of Kohta Yamamoto’s music here was very well done, and although the track from the PV repeated quite a bit, it didn’t get repetitive at all. Also, the sound director remaining consistent here means we got to keep things like the titan transformation sound effects, which may be a small thing but was very welcome and added to the whole consistency.

OPENING/ENDING:

I’m gonna wait until Shinsei Kamattechan releases the full version of the opening in a single or album to fully judge the song, but boy do I love this opening. Although I’m not sure if the TV-size version is my favorite AoT opening yet, I have to say that it’s without a doubt the most fitting OP this show has had until this point. It perfectly showcases the themes of war that this arc focuses on and has this lowkey disturbing eerie vibe with the dissonant chords and mixing of the vocals that feels just as “mysterious” and “tense” as the show itself. I love it so much, honestly. Now, Isayama was a fan of Shinsei Kamattechan prior to them doing the S2 ED, and was the one who got them on-board to do it. Although that song isn’t really my thing it’s also a perfect fit, which leads me to believe that Isayama himself most likely chose the band again, namely to do this OP. And it’s fantastic. I love the song. The visuals also have a very distinct style with all the colors and white backgrounds and I love how it’s more metaphorical and symbolic (I guess “abstract” as well?) rather than flat-out just spoiling everything like the last arc’s OP did.

The ED by Yuko Ando is fantastic. The first time I listened to the full song on its own I couldn’t stop getting chills. Love the production aspects of the song and it’s just really nice altogether. The visuals are quite interesting especially towards the end and I also like them a lot. Not much else to say about the ED. It’s amazing. Go listen to it.

CONCLUSION:

As a whole, I kept my expectations extremely low prior to the premiere despite my hype. As a result of that, not only were they exceeded, I was absolutely blown away by this first episode in pretty much every way. It may still be too early to judge, but from what has been shown here so far, I am absolutely looking forward to see MAPPA adapt the rest of this amazing story, or about as far as they can get with 16 episodes.

great review. i was so tired of people showing this episode in a negative light which was so not true that this made me feel so much better. mal reviews do influence people a lot and for some reason there are more than necessary negative reviews which are just people salty about cg titans and looking way too much into animation and pointing out flaws which are not even noticeable while supporting WIT which made me laugh in all honesty. WIT had a lot more inconsistencies but the overall execution and direction was so too notch no one cared. the direction and execution was top notch in this episode as well but people are all negative and salty for god knows what reason it ticks me off.

anime-primeDec 26, 2020 2:38 PM
Dec 10, 2020 11:15 AM
Mar 2019
Harsha1314 said:
Fuji-O said:

how can he quote it as worst. its just one episode and it was actually great with a lot of gorgeous shots such as the middle east alliances fort and inner set up. people like this will just keep giving everyone the wrong idea and i wouldnt be surprised if he is a completely different person after ep 4

I agree, besides few weird looking CGI shots of the beast and armored titan I have no problems with the adaptation. The 2d animation, ost, voice acting are top tier. Also the anime exclusive scenes added by MAPPA to clear up some things and the amazing shots of the backgrounds and the overall atmosphere were amazing. I love that they are 100 % faithful to the source material and even add some exclusive scenes to make the plot and the narrative better.
Dec 10, 2020 11:16 AM
Dec 2020
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
Really good episode!

CGI was not as bad as Twitter and MAL whiners made it out to be. Yes no CGI would be better, but I don't know if I really wanted to wait 2-3 years for the final season when the manga will be over by then and all the hype for AoT would die down a lot.

One criticism I do have is the OST. Haven't heard anything from previous seasons and all we have heard was the song from the PV months ago. I hope it's just like that for this one episode, because the song used did fit this episode nicely. Just hope we get more AoT sounding OST's coming up.
i heard that sawano became a co composer because he was almost out of material to adapt more new osts. also the first half of this episode before the titans attack was all sawano's ost :)
which means we will be getting a few more in upcoming seasons where it matters

Fuji-O said:
Harsha1314 said:

I agree, besides few weird looking CGI shots of the beast and armored titan I have no problems with the adaptation. The 2d animation, ost, voice acting are top tier. Also the anime exclusive scenes added by MAPPA to clear up some things and the amazing shots of the backgrounds and the overall atmosphere were amazing. I love that they are 100 % faithful to the source material and even add some exclusive scenes to make the plot and the narrative better.
in all honesty all shots of the armoured loom good once u re watch the episode enough times to get used to it. except yeah 2 shots of beastie. at least that how me and my friends got through it. because now re watching the episode its all internal and external screaming

anime-primeDec 26, 2020 2:39 PM
Dec 10, 2020 12:19 PM
Nov 2014
Opening is such a banger. At first it sounds and looks a little weird, but after some listening it’s definitely top class. Linked horizon songs were also good, though I think it’s good that we have something new
Dec 10, 2020 12:26 PM
Dec 2015
Fuji-O said:
Malikah said:

Jumping and screaming hurrah during the dangerous situation in the middle of a war might be unsuitable for a normal person but this is Gabi we are talking about here. Nothing about her or her psyche is normal. You will learn that she is one of the most psychologically unstable and emotionally driven character in the series, logic and composure aren't her forte lol. EDIT : After rewatching the episode I noticed that she is even kinda laughing amd grinning while being shot at ! Gabi is crazy.

I'd give you this one. She IS crazy.
Dec 10, 2020 12:47 PM

Jul 2010
I haven't read any of the manga, only watched the anime. In the time between the broadcasting of the last episode of season 3 (part 2) and the first episode of this season finally airing, I picked up information left and right that originally came from the manga, more or less incidentally through reading SnK fanfiction. I'm actually glad about that. It helped me understand about 10% of what was going on in the 1st episode - the remaining 90% it was like I was watching another series. I have no doubt everything will be explained in the forthcoming episodes, so I'm not that bothered I'm barely understanding anything at this point. I still thought it was awesome looking at it as a whole.

The one thing that did bother me, was the absence of nearly all the characters we've met in the previous seasons. I've really been looking forward to seeing them again. Guess it won't take that long, though. I'm not too hyped about the new characters either, to be honest, but that'll probably change as the story unfolds.
Dec 10, 2020 2:12 PM
Aug 2020
AnimeFanTalk said:
I'm just here to make sure the anime butchers the final season and you all are forced to read the manga 2 get the real experience :)
I really don't think it will be butchered. We are off to a good start.
Dec 10, 2020 4:47 PM

Aug 2013
"Hey character with momentary amnesia lemme borrow ya real fast so I can give a bit of exposition"

2 minutes into the episode haha fucking wow, now this looks promising.
Dec 10, 2020 5:29 PM

Oct 2019
Just want to give a shoutout to the Biggie G, my madlad Maths teacher who decided to play the premiere of the first episode instead of doing Math work.

MAPPA's CGI may be pretty well-made, but WHERE THE FUCK IS LINKED HORIZON 😡😡😡😡😡😡😔😔😔😔🥴🥵🥵🤨😭😭😭😢😤😤😤😠😡

I am in shambles.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2020 9:04 PM

Oct 2013
Satyr_icon said:
"Hey character with momentary amnesia lemme borrow ya real fast so I can give a bit of exposition"

2 minutes into the episode haha fucking wow, now this looks promising.

Its anime original scene, it wasn't in the manga, I suspect they added it to try and make things more clear for anime only, but based off a lot of reaction most people are lost, which is ok it will be explain in later chapters and be more clear what is actually going on.
Dec 10, 2020 11:41 PM

May 2020
Great episode..

i cant waiting to see the main characters XD

Dec 11, 2020 4:30 AM

Oct 2012
The new OST looks promising from what i have heard. I liked the new OP and the fact that it's spoilers free. It was obvious that were trying to stick to Wit's character designs & drawing (I wouldn't mind if they tried something new tho). I liked the AHEM scene.
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 AM

Oct 2013
KuroAme54 said:
The new OST looks promising from what i have heard. I liked the new OP and the fact that it's spoilers free. It was obvious that were trying to stick to Wit's character designs & drawing (I wouldn't mind if they tried something new tho). I liked the AHEM scene.

Actually in interview the character designer said they made the design more similar to the manga (which is true) and add a bit of wit studio style to it, I think this was the best decision you don't want to alienate the fanbase to a completely different art style in its final season.

So still give them something that so similar even.though it's a bit different.
Dec 11, 2020 7:41 AM
Feb 2019
Very, very late here, specially since I saw this in the premiere as well, so I'll try to be short.

Good season start. Despite of it being a bit confusing (fast pacing maybe?), it was an interesting look at the other side of the story; I liked all the new characters, their presentation was good, it's clear that among them, Gabi and Falco will be the main ones, and I liked them as well, Falco seems your usual hopeful-a bit naive hero and Gabi is this over-confident and boastful soldier, but she has some strange charisma that I liked; also, I liked the humour bits, it helped to show more of these kids and their relationships. The second half, with Reiner's and Zeke's entrance was good as well, but it got a bit messy at a point, maybe is the pacing, but I really got a bit lost through the last part of the episode.
Now, getting into what everything came for, MAPPA work is good, surprisingly (to me at least) the character design isn't too different, it has some new things but it reminisce the designs we've been used to see so far, I liked that; I didn't notice the blur through most of the episode, so they definitely made a change for the better in comparison with the PV. The bigger changes, that I got to see as a novice, came with coloring and the CGI titans: I think it's suitable, and it actually looks good, but the colour palette is way less vivid than what we saw with WIT, I know that the content of this season make it for this change, but I'll miss the charming and powerful look from past seasons, though to be fair, I'll get used to the new one easily, I could say this episode was enough for it; on the other side of the coin, the CGI models definitely are good, and they can actually serve for some interesting takes on action scenes, but it comes to be a bit jarring and distracting tbh, maybe it's just the shock of seing it for the first time, anyway it gets off-putting, it doesn't help that the titans move so fast, like all sense of weight and scale has been lost, man, the Armored Titan seemed like it was Usain Bolt xD, the conveyance of weight may even not be to far from right, but that definitely was a bad point for the episode; surely they can do a better job in future episodes, and hopefully it won't be too hard to get used to it.

A good episode with some huge changes, a well first shot from MAPPA that sets how things will be but still doesn't leave everything clear. Let's see what happens the next sunday.
Dec 11, 2020 12:16 PM
Dec 2020
I'm glad that AoT is back. I'm so hyped to see the final season.
Dec 11, 2020 1:15 PM

Dec 2015
sponny said:
Just want to give a shoutout to the Biggie G, my madlad Maths teacher who decided to play the premiere of the first episode instead of doing Math work.

MAPPA's CGI may be pretty well-made, but WHERE THE FUCK IS LINKED HORIZON 😡😡😡😡😡😡😔😔😔😔🥴🥵🥵🤨😭😭😭😢😤😤😤😠😡

I am in shambles.

Wait... Are you really telling me that you have a teacher who plays AoT episodes at school?
You're probably living the dream but you just don't know it.
Dec 11, 2020 1:25 PM
Nov 2019
It was even better than I thought it would be despite expecting it to be amazing. 10/10 first episode in my opinion. The OP is really good- probably my favourite so far. I also really like the new animation which I was slightly worried about, even the CG is done well.

If it is consistent with its quality it’s a strong contender for my favourites

Dec 11, 2020 3:28 PM

Oct 2010
I did expect a new world but it looks too advanced for Paradis people, I don't think Eren and his gang can kill all unfortunately, they don't even have the resources for that. Marley are shit and should die but apparently all people here hate eldians, they have to do something about it.
Anyways, not into this war, it's just making me angry seeing good eldians getting killed by scum, I got angry enough in Grischa's flashback and I don't want more, I hope we get to see Eren soon enough.
The cg is not bad but after 59 episodes of drawings of course I will be sad seeing this shit, the shifters lacked impact for me, or maybe it was because I hate those fvcking traitors
Dec 11, 2020 4:57 PM
Dec 2020
Catalano said:
I did expect a new world but it looks too advanced for Paradis people, I don't think Eren and his gang can kill all unfortunately, they don't even have the resources for that. Marley are shit and should die but apparently all people here hate eldians, they have to do something about it.
Anyways, not into this war, it's just making me angry seeing good eldians getting killed by scum, I got angry enough in Grischa's flashback and I don't want more, I hope we get to see Eren soon enough.
The cg is not bad but after 59 episodes of drawings of course I will be sad seeing this shit, the shifters lacked impact for me, or maybe it was because I hate those fvcking traitors
you are right with the cgi but if you look at the reiner vs eren fight in s3 p2 you will see that the quality of the hand drawn fights went downhill, studio wit had also problems and they gave up on AoT because they didnt believe they could handle the final season, as a manga reader I can say: its necesarry to relly on cgi because mappa only had 8-10 Months and the later parts are so big and complex, its difficult to make everything in 2d
Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue
Dec 11, 2020 11:13 PM

Oct 2009
Miss the thick outlines, but overall looked great!!
The CGI was actually impressive but I hope they use 2D at some point for the 'Warriors'.

Also, wtf is going on!? How many years after season 3 is this! 0-0

Cool OP, but was hoping for a hype song, ED is pretty good.
Dec 12, 2020 1:47 AM

Oct 2010
yaegerist-15 said:
Catalano said:

you are right with the cgi but if you look at the reiner vs eren fight in s3 p2 you will see that the quality of the hand drawn fights went downhill, studio wit had also problems and they gave up on AoT because they didnt believe they could handle the final season, as a manga reader I can say: its necesarry to relly on cgi because mappa only had 8-10 Months and the later parts are so big and complex, its difficult to make everything in 2d

I look at that fight every time, of course it looks weird in some shots but it from that 2d world, you know what you're looking at, now in this episode it was ok looking at the shifters destroying stuff, but on a 1vs1 fight it will look not that engaging as eren vs armor titan. Don't wanna sound like a smartass but in '79 sunrise could animate gundams fighting other gundams and mecha is harder to animate than a monkey titan throwing rocks. Sure, MAPPA had all those "problems" and it's the producer and director who decide the animation but they could've ask more money from the production team and hire more staff, of course it's not easy as that but at least WIT animated only the colossus in 3d. I can't even imagine the erwin charging scene with the monkey in 3d or levi vs monkey in 3d.
I'll wait for next episodes, who knows what we'll get to see but I'm a simple fan, I just wanna see all marleyans dead and a cool 1vs1 titan fight, don't care about the rest.
Dec 12, 2020 6:55 AM
Dec 2020
Try again just i love it:3
Dec 12, 2020 11:19 AM
Jul 2020
Eh, bad, but not unexpected.
Dec 12, 2020 11:45 AM
Dec 2020
Wasn't a very good episode but it was ok.
Dec 12, 2020 1:47 PM

May 2015
Finally seeing this battle animated feels good.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 12, 2020 2:52 PM

Apr 2013
Just came back from a season 3 part 2 marathon with two friends and we watched this episode immediately afterwards.

Tbh it did not meet my expectations. I was aware that the setting would change, but it really felt very fillerish to me. Unless they wanna introduce a completely new main cast, which I certainly hope they won't do. Else this battle seemed to be one of little importance and dedicating a whole episodes to something like this in the final season? With only assumably 16 episodes overall? A bit underwhelming, but I won't judge just yet.
Dec 12, 2020 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
Gator said:
Just came back from a season 3 part 2 marathon with two friends and we watched this episode immediately afterwards.

Tbh it did not meet my expectations. I was aware that the setting would change, but it really felt very fillerish to me. Unless they wanna introduce a completely new main cast, which I certainly hope they won't do. Else this battle seemed to be one of little importance and dedicating a whole episodes to something like this in the final season? With only assumably 16 episodes overall? A bit underwhelming, but I won't judge just yet.

All I will say is the pay off will be worth it, manga readers didn't like these chapters especially since its monthly so the wait was cruel but luckily for you its the anime adaptation and you will only have to wait a week not to mention they seem like the adaptation will be 2 chapters per episode so they pay off will be quick for you.

Keep in mind this season won't adapt the entire manga.
keragammingDec 12, 2020 3:45 PM
Dec 12, 2020 3:33 PM

Aug 2012
Gator said:

Man, I should have watched at least a recap on youtube, or some episodes of the previous season. I was like "What the heck is going on? Who the fuck are these random characters?"
Really felt like filler.
Dec 13, 2020 2:30 AM

Apr 2013
keragamming said:
All I will say is the pay off will be worth it, manga readers didn't like these chapters especially since its monthly so the wait was cruel but luckily for you its the anime adaptation and you will only have to wait a week not to mention they seem like the adaptation will be 2 chapters per episode so they pay off will be quick for you.

Keep in mind this season won't adapt the entire manga.

I certainly hope so, I mean obviously I'll keep watching anyways because it's one of my favorite shows. Did not know that it won't adapt the entire manga though, that's unfortunate.

Zenhashi said:
[Man, I should have watched at least a recap on youtube, or some episodes of the previous season. I was like "What the heck is going on? Who the fuck are these random characters?"
Really felt like filler.

Watching the last season again certainly helped, especially since I had forgotten a lot of things about the whole Eldian/Marley conflict haha
Dec 13, 2020 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
damn, anime onlys... "feels fillerish because we don't see the main cast from last seasons so it must be a filler".

"this battle had no importance" it's to introduce us to new characters on Marley's side and show that titan domination era is truly over with how easily they're getting killed with new weapons since humanity progresses forward.
Dec 13, 2020 12:40 PM

Apr 2013
Quite the hype start, Reiner making another charge to annihilate the enemies defenses but in the final moments of the war gets reduced to pieces when he guards Zeke with his Body, solid first episode.
While the opening is pretty trash the Ending is awesome
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Dec 15, 2020 2:20 AM
May 2019
I loved the pacing and the way they introduced Marvey's war History. The characters were well build, and I can say already what Gabi and Falco would probably do.

The only thing I didn't like was the opening... didn't get the SNK feeling. Not even the color palette was maintained. On the other hand, I loved the ending, it was like Vinland Saga's ending, super cool and will never break the mood of what passed on the episode.

Overall, I enjoyed pretty much this episode.
SorofiaDec 15, 2020 2:25 AM
Pages (20) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

» Falco and Gabi…

Arddaa52 - Jul 25, 2021

20 by Adrena »»
Mar 27, 6:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.