Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Dec 6, 2020 2:01 PM

Feb 2019
the episode was pretty cool but i'm somewhat confused about a few things and i'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me

to begin with, i don't even know if this is the past or the future, i thought it was the past at first but reiner looks a lot more mature here.

also, why did the soldiers on marleys side called reiner and zeke devils and made negative comments about them? aren't they on the same side and achieved their goal together? is this something i'm not supposed to understand right now? i'm also curious about zeke being on marleys side even though he backstabbed his parents but i guess this is also something that'll get explained later on?

the CGI looks awful ngl, i feel like the animation quality also dropped but at least it's not on a significant level. still enjoyable

Dec 6, 2020 2:02 PM
Jul 2020
Oh my god. I literally just finished it. So this is my first time experiencing this episode I didn't read the manga because of that. I literally was so scared for the first episode and now I'm a little depressed. Not because it was bad but because I just watched the first episode of the last season of Attack on Titan. I'm really exited to see what Isayama -sensei will do with this. Apparently there will only be 16 episodes of AoT which is really sad. MAPPA a little lazy. But 100% I plan on finishing the manga after the anime ends. I'm trying to catch up to the anime now. and I am really horrified, worried, afraid, and exited to see why Yuki Kaji was crying while reading the script.
Anime is cringe and it ruined my life. :)
Dec 6, 2020 2:05 PM
Aug 2020
To all these CGI haters, why don't you try drawing something like that before you say anything :/
Dec 6, 2020 2:06 PM
Nov 2018
I am blown away this was so good. Also the person in the end kinda looked like Jean?
Dec 6, 2020 2:07 PM
Mar 2016
I'm still shaking long after I finished it, it was that great! The wait was worth it. Attack on Titan is FINALLY back with an Awesome 1st ep. So much happened with just the right amount of pacing. It felt like so short, I didn't even notice it go by because they didn't waste any time. The animation looks soo clean, and the cgi is pretty good too. I'm also so glad that they used the trailer ost for this. Pretty Satisfied, and my day saved. 10/10.
Dec 6, 2020 2:06 PM

Aug 2020
Do yall know how many FRICKING SCREENSHOTS I TOOK!?! I am too excited for this season.
Dec 6, 2020 2:09 PM
Aug 2018
GothPuppy said:
the episode was pretty cool but i'm somewhat confused about a few things and i'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me

to begin with, i don't even know if this is the past or the future, i thought it was the past at first but reiner looks a lot more mature here.

also, why did the soldiers on marleys side called reiner and zeke devils and made negative comments about them? aren't they on the same side and achieved their goal together? is this something i'm not supposed to understand right now? i'm also curious about zeke being on marleys side even though he backstabbed his parents but i guess this is also something that'll get explained later on?

the CGI looks awful ngl, i feel like the animation quality also dropped but at least it's not on a significant level. still enjoyable

As you said yes Reiner is more mature, we also see Zeke (The Beast Titan). I haven't watched the ep yet (I'm a manga reader) so idk if they've specified how long has past but I assume you can tell by Reiner maturity its been some time.
We know there are still Eldians left on Marley, and only Eldians can turn into titans and inherit titan powers. Reiner, Zeke, and all the other titan shifters on their side are Eldians working for the Marley government. While the Marleyans hate Eldians they have to work with them to harness the power of the titans.
Zeke betrayed Grisha and Dina because they were planning to fight against Marley, and take back their Eldian heritage which they're oppressed for. Hence why Zeke is working for Marley.
This was all established in s3p2 so isnt a spoiler, but I dont blame you for being confused as theres a lot of lore surrounding them. I hope this helps!
Dec 6, 2020 2:10 PM
Feb 2019
SNK last season ruined by CGI. Well shit 2020 just got worse again.
Dec 6, 2020 2:13 PM

Jun 2014
I see everybody talking about the cgi and the fights, but I'm just wondering wtf is this crap and where is Eren and company. Starting the season with a flashback, or flashforward, or whatever the hell this is without explaining anything is a mess.
Dec 6, 2020 2:16 PM

Apr 2014
This episode seems alright. I mean nothing much changed. But maybe the CGI titans might be something to do the best to get use to. Other than that I think everything should be fine for the future. If they adapt this right.
Dec 6, 2020 2:17 PM

Nov 2020
Really strong start! As an anime only I think it's smart to focus on the "enemy" after the time-skip, as it gives us a chance to empathize with them and get a better idea of the world, all the while building up anticipation and mystery around our main characters in terms of what they've been up to all this time. Story-wise there's not much to say except that this was a great first look at Marley and its inhabitants, with Gabi stealing the show, and overall setting up the final stretch of the show with a cameo from Jean which I loved.

In terms of production values, that was also quite impressive with detail and animation on the same level as WIT. Of course I already knew MAPPA was a great studio thanks to Jujutsu Kaisen and the trailer for this season, but it's nice to see a full episode where that quality is on display. It also appears it's being extremely faithful to the manga, not only keeping all the material but adding content that only enhances the story. So if MAPPA can handle both this and JK and stay consistent, it looks like we're in great hands. One spot that's going to take some getting used to is the CGI on the main Titans. It's honestly pretty good and in motion (like with the Armored destroying the canons and the Jaw jumping around) I could barely even notice. But with the Armored and Beast, when there was minimal movement they could look a little awkward and distracting. I probably wouldn't be complaining if we didn't have the hand-drawn models from Seasons 1-3 to compare them to, which looked better and more grounded, but these are still alright and could be a lot worse. Overall, very excited for the rest of the season!
Are ya winning, diners?
Jan 2012
I just wish there was less CG. I don't really care about the "quality" of it. To me, I just don't like it regardless of how good of CG it is. There was way too much of it imo. In earlier seasons, you had it occasionally, and the amount that was shown wasn't too bad. But in this episode, almost every single time a titan was shown, it was with CG. It really diminishes the experience for me personally. I understand this isn't the same studio, and it is also only one episode, so we'll see how it goes. Other than that though, everything else was just as awesome as I expected.
Dec 2020
Can we all just agree that the directing in this anime is amazing. After watching the pv I was partially hyped but the directing didn't seem to be anything special, but just from the first minute I realised that this director really knows what he is doing (CGI aside).

Whether it is tonally perfect opening or the surprisingly amazing anime original (extra) scenes, it feels as if we have Izayama personally animating his own manga judging by how well they have adapted the tone.

Dec 6, 2020 2:18 PM
Jan 2012
I just wish there was less CG. I don't really care about the "quality" of it. To me, I just don't like it regardless of how good of CG it is. There was way too much of it imo. In earlier seasons, you had it occasionally, and the amount that was shown wasn't too bad. But in this episode, almost every single time a titan was shown, it was with CG. It really diminishes the experience for me personally. I understand this isn't the same studio, and it is also only one episode, so we'll see how it goes. Other than that though, everything else was just as awesome as I expected.
Dec 2009
ke1estial said:
To all these CGI haters, why don't you try drawing something like that before you say anything :/

I agree with you. People just seem to enjoy complaining when it comes to CG... it's not even bad in this AOT season.

Jun 2020
Great episode. Anyone know how long before we see Eren and gang?
This anime shit is addictive

Apr 2015
It's been a hot minute and honestly this was worth the wait! What a great, but somewhat a little confusing start.

Honestly thought I was looking at a flashback on a war that happened before we got to know the titans as we knew them in previous seasons. Only for Reiner and Zeke to show up in the second half.

My lord, that didn't disappoint. The sequence with Reiner walking along the wall taking out all those artillery was epic, an amazing spectacle and even though the CG is noticeable, it wasn't bad by any means. If anything it's fucking great and it's better than in previous seasons when it comes to the titans. Solid production so far!

I do have many questions though, like how much time has passed since the final episode of S3 Part 2 to the events of this episode? Perhaps that will be happening in the coming episodes but if someone can give me a small spoiler I wouldn't mind.

Also, you know AoT is back when both MAL and crunchyroll are getting server issues XD Hype is still there!
CeddyyBearrDec 6, 2020 2:23 PM
Dec 6, 2020 2:20 PM

Feb 2020
This was awesome. The cgi was noticible but it most definetely didn't detract from the experience (other than Reiner waving).
The reveal of Jean at the end was awesome, can't wait to see how it'll develop.

SpheromancerDec 6, 2020 2:28 PM
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Dec 6, 2020 2:20 PM
May 2020
Not that bad, the CGI looks amazing.

I am still however wondering why people are already giving it 10s when literally 1 episode is out.
Dec 6, 2020 2:21 PM

Jan 2020
Would be more annoyed that the Warrior Titans are all CG now if it wasn't for the fact that the CG is quite good. Exceptionally better than the previous seasons, thanks to fitting in with the style more, I imagine. Attack on Titan reigns supreme with the amazing first episodes.
Dec 6, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
legit I’m quite disappointed in the studio change, you can definitely see how much worse the animation is. As well as the cgi is really bad, now not necessarily awful but comparing to how well studio wit did it, it’s bad. Rip
Dec 6, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2020
I'm gonna be real with you guys, I am NOT a fan of this use of CGI... Like the trailer there was no CGI at all or at least I didn't notice it. Like it's not horrible like Berserk but like I expected more.

And this also makes me really nervous about the rest of the season. Everyone is saying that it's because they didn't have enough time to not use crappy CGI. Like what the hell, Jujutsu Kaisen has insanely good CGI by MAPPA, how come AOT doesn't get the same amount of attention?

I would have preferred that this season would have been pushed back another 6-12 months if that meant that there would be better CGI honestly.
Dec 6, 2020 2:27 PM

May 2014
Nice episode. Noticeable CGI on the beast titan mostly. Reiner and Galliard looked fine. The fodder titans looked less intimidating.

Apr 2018
Stark700 said:
This was pretty awesome, they didn't waste time much at all jumping right into the action for the soldiers. Not sure how I feel about the OP song tbh but it is what it is.

Smoke covering the battlefield, bullets spraying, and of course the Titans. They made the episode look like a brutal war, the exact type of opening episode that was needed for this season. Despite the horror, I find some parts of the episode realistic as it illustrates the reality of the battle.

Armored Titan is also back!

Supreme music and soundtrack as expeted. This is off a fantastic start!

Yeah bruh, honestly not the hype opening song I think we were all hoping for tbh... A bit of a let down. Also I agree, the music is great as always.

DespondentBlithe said:
Having just seen the new opening, I can most certainly say that my disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

Lmao, yeah it is pretty weak... Hopefully there is at least one more and its a good. lets hope!

VanishingKira said:
They covered less than what I was expecting, the cgi is a bit more noticeable on Zeke but it not a major thing (unless you choose to make it so)...cough cough most of the anime community.

PATHS in the ED huh.

Lol, yeah not sure what everyone's obsession with CG is all about. It should be more about the story and characters, it's funny how ppl get their panties in a twist over it so much.
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
What an excellent first episode, excluding all the CGI.
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Dec 6, 2020 2:28 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Dec 6, 2020 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
I thought the episode was pretty good. The entire setting was pretty interesting and everything from the animation to the OSTs were well done. OP was....'interesting' to say the least, I'd say I prefer the song over the visuals and I see myself probably skipping it a few episodes into the series which is a shame. Here's hoping it grows on me (which it's already starting to after watching it a couple more times), ED on the other hand was good both song wise and visuals. I liked Gabi a-lot and I cant wait to see more of her character and personality. Pretty much the only major issue I had was the use of CG for the armored and beast titan. Not all the time tho, some shots were acceptable, but many others were just too out of place for my liking.

Overall i'd give this first ep a respectable 7.5/10. It ain't perfect but it was still a pretty engaging first ep that definitely makes me interested in whats to come.
removed-userDec 6, 2020 2:44 PM
Dec 6, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2018
The final season started very well
Dec 6, 2020 2:34 PM

Oct 2018
That episode was amazing, the CGI wasn't too bad imo. Can't wait for the next episode, this will be the best season yet, coming from a manga reader.

Dec 6, 2020 2:37 PM

Mar 2020
The beginning was a little confusing, but I think it's because I don't remember much about last season. But even it was an episode, I liked the war climate, the soldiers in terrible condition, shots at all times. Although I am not a fan of CGI, it was OK, the OP was also not bad but it was not good.
Anyway, it was a good start.
"I don't want to achieve anything, I just think that the person who has the greatest freedom in the ocean is the king of pirates." - Monkey D. Luffy.
"There is no one better than me when it comes to ending the expectations of others." - Natsuki Subaru
Dec 6, 2020 2:38 PM
May 2019
the cinematography is great!!
the graphic and animation is beyond expectations

but there's a bit salt taste leftover about the cgi used.

and the ost. which sounds repetitive
Dec 6, 2020 2:39 PM
Aug 2020
Just finished it. My only issue was the cg beast titan lol, it kinda looked meh but aside from that what a phenomenal ep. The pacing was more than perfect,new vas are killing it,osts too good,digging the art and the fluid animation was treat to the eye. 10/10
Dec 6, 2020 2:40 PM

Feb 2020
The toxicity and harsh judgements have already started. I understand that there are high expectations for this FINAL season but if you come into an anime already expecting the worst you'll find anything to crap on.

The OP slander is way too much. Compared to the other OP's it is definitely not as much hype but the OP fits the war theme really well.

The pacing is not slow and in fact may seem a little fast to some. As a manga reader I thought the pacing was perfect as non manga readers need time to get used to the new environment and understand what's going on.

The CGI will definitely take some time getting used to. It's more of a personal thing that I don't really like CGI, BUT objectively the CGI is some of the best I've seen it especially has some major improvements from the colossal titan in past seasons.
ItsAvuDec 9, 2020 4:06 PM
Dec 6, 2020 2:41 PM

May 2016
Great episode and another day to be a live in this day and age to enjoy this masterpiece hope future generations enjoy this as much as i enjoyed FMAB back then.

great start non manga readers gonna be shocked by the new faces but hey its a really good start don't worry you will know them soon. 10/10
Dec 6, 2020 2:41 PM

Jan 2020
GREAT FIRST EPISODE
Dec 6, 2020 2:42 PM

Jul 2020
I thought everything about this first episode was solid.

OST was great. Artstyle and animation were really good. And I even thought the CGI used blended really well with the 2d backgrounds. Giving Ayaneru Gabi's role was the icing on the cake. Matches pretty well with her arrogant and confident personality.

Even though I'm not a total fan of the OP (music-wise) the visuals were terrific and ED was excellent.

A really great start for a much greater series (hopefully).

Good Job MAPPA.

I accept random friend requests!

May 2016
Ok this episode was pretty great, after this I'm certain MAPPA will do a competent job. CGI wasn't particularly amazing but definitely better than what we got in season 3.
The new OP is a bop, screw the haters!!

Jan 2020
GREAT FIRST EPISODE
Dec 6, 2020 2:46 PM

Feb 2019
“More walls. I’m sick and tired of walls” Fucking goosebumps bro. Holy shit

Bro if the 8/10 chapters are this good, imagine when the 10/10 shit gets adapted. My penis can only get so erect.

I thought everything was great. People shitting on the OP but I love it, it’s trippy. The ED is easily the best of the series for me.
Dec 6, 2020 2:46 PM

May 2020
The episode was ok, new chars are boring, plot is ok.
I made a video with my thoughts on it tho! https://youtu.be/44jicYn9K30
Dec 6, 2020 2:47 PM

Mar 2013
Well it was a great start and presentation of what is to come. I wouldn't say that the OP is bad but I expected something in the "sasageyo" suit to add hype to the end of the anime. Well as "only anime viewer" I think they chose "art" instead of "hype".

Dec 6, 2020 2:52 PM

Aug 2019
For the most part, a really good episode.

Wasn't a huge fan of the opening and some of the beast titan animation, but with that out of the way, MAPPA did a fine job otherwise.

Trailer OST used was great, interspersed with some of the old S1 soundtrack throughout the episode. Animation was pretty good. VA's were great. Gabi is just as annoying as she was in the manga at this point, so job done.

9/10 episode. Looking forward to next week's episode already.
Dec 6, 2020 2:52 PM
Nov 2020
I know my reply probably wont mean anything, but I felt like giving my 2-cents.

Some of you need to chill about MAPPA using CGI for the titans. I personally think that this CGI is one of the better uses in anime, and it definitely looks better that the colossal titan in season 3. I get that everyone has their own opinion and preference but it doesn't necessarily bother me, and from the looks of it, some others, too.

I will agree that the op isn't the best in the series, but it defiantly fits the "war" theme, at least to me.

Oh and P.S.
Some of you manga readers need to chill and let the anime do its thing.
Dec 6, 2020 2:54 PM

Feb 2014
This was a very good episode! Pacing is on point and it really started with a bang. Looking forward to more.

GoldenJumper said:
ngl the cg is pretty decent but it still hurts a little, but i'll probably get used to it

Ya this is where I'm at too. Just going to take some time getting used to, but I do hope for some of the key fights they'll whip out some nice 2D animation.

Dec 6, 2020 2:59 PM
Feb 2017
This was a great episode. Love the perspective on the Marleys. Give me more (amazing) episode MAPPA.
Dec 6, 2020 3:04 PM

Apr 2019
I think Mappa did a really good job with this episode. Kinda wished Linked Horizon had something to do with the ost, just doesn't quite feel right with them not being apart of this.

This whole war aspect is kinda odd to see since we've been so used to seeing people swinging from trees/building and killing Titans. So seeing people in war is kinda like a 180 for me, but I'm all for it.

Extremely interested to see the rest of this gets animated.
Dec 6, 2020 3:17 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty average episode. The CGI is better than the previous seasons. The arstyle is not a fan of. But understandable bcuz of the design in this arc on the manga.

It looks soft and generic. The story pickup from the get go, the shift from survival to military war is sure surprising to anime onlies.

Overall is a good sign that the change of studios is not affecting the anime.

Dec 6, 2020 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Mappa did a great job, this is the AoT we know and love.
Dec 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Aug 2019
I love amazing animation as much as the next guy but I honestly wasn’t bothered by the CGI, because I mean at the end of the day I never watched this show for the animation but rather the story
Pages (20) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

» Falco and Gabi…

Arddaa52 - Jul 25, 2021

20 by Adrena »»
Mar 27, 6:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.