Forum Settings
Forums

'Mo Dao Zu Shi' Reveals Cast, Third Promo, Theme Song Artists

New
Nov 27, 2020 7:08 PM
Anime Moderator
Jan 2014
The official website for Aniplex and Sony Music Solutions's Japanese dub of Mo Dao Zu Shi (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) revealed 21 cast, theme song artists, and a third promo on Friday. The first two seasons will premiere in Japan under the title Madou Soshi on January 10 at 9:30 p.m. on Tokyo MX, followed by BS11 and WOWOW.

Cast
Wuxian Wei: Ryouhei Kimura (Diabolik Lovers More, Blood)
Wangji Lan: Shinnosuke Tachibana (Huyao Xiao Hongniang)
Wanyin Jiang: Hikaru Midorikawa (ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka)
Yanli Jiang: Saori Hayami (Bakuman.)
Xichen Lan: Toshiyuki Morikawa (Fruits Basket 1st Season)
Ling Jin: Yuki Kaji (Boku no Hero Academia)
Sizhui Lan: Shinba Tsuchiya (K: Seven Stories Movie 2 - Side:Blue - Tenrou no Gotoku)
Jingyi Lan: Souma Saitou (Bubuki Buranki)
Huaisang Nie: Natsuki Hanae (B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious)
Zinxuan Jin: Kenji Akabane (Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199)
Ning Wen: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Free!)
Qing Wen: Ayako Kawasumi (Kyoukai no Kanata)
Chao Wen: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
Lingjiao Wang: Kana Asumi (Nisekoi)
Qingyang Luo: Lynn (Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki)
Fengmian Jiang: Kenji Hamada (Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
Ziyuan Yu: Takako Honda (Kara no Kyoukai 1: Fukan Fuukei)
Qiren Lan: Mitsuhiro Sakamaki (Hyouge Mono)
Guangshan Jin: Hayami Show (Fate/stay night)
Rouhan Wen: Kenta Miyake (Nanatsu no Taizai)
Zhuliu Wen: Keikou Sakai (Eureka Seven AO)
Mingjue Nie: Hiroshi Shirokuma (Overlord)
Su She: Masafumi Kobatake (RoboMasters the Animated Series)

The third promotional video features both the opening theme "Senya Souka" by the J-rock group CIVILIAN and the ending theme "Kiji" by anisong artist Aimer.

Mo Dao Zu Shi was produced by B.Cmay Pictures and Tencent Penguin Pictures in 2018. The donghua adapts Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's Chinese web novel, which was serialized from 2015 to 2016.

The 15-episode first season streamed on Tencent Video in 2018, followed by an eight-episode second season in 2019. A third season is scheduled for 2021.

PV 3

Note: This video is region locked; click here for an alternative link.

Source: Comic Natalie
Nov 27, 2020 11:09 PM

Dec 2016
Tachibana Shinosuke as Lan Zhan doesn't suit at all, his personality changed with this voice ( ̄▽ ̄), Lan Zhan's voice should be more deeper...
They should've gone with the audio drama VA, Hino Satoshi sounded much better as Lan Zhan.

The OP is too typical, for Mo dao zu shi both OP and ED should be soothing.
Loved the ED by Aimer (♥▽♥)

Nonetheless, Original is way better.
Rickydory123Nov 27, 2020 11:21 PM
Nov 28, 2020 12:51 AM

Aug 2018
I wonder if this will be any good
_______I like rocks__
Nov 28, 2020 1:40 AM

Oct 2018
since it's made from china. first of all. I want to ask about the story...is it good? I read lots of manhua(only) and sorry to say that most of it really2 sucks. there are some that actually good to the point that I thought Its was made by Korean.
Nov 28, 2020 3:17 AM

Dec 2019
This story is so beautiful >0< Lan Zhan and Wei Ying deserve the world~ I hope this dub is good!
oh no, the opening... just isn't really to my liking >.< the Chinese one was p e r f e c t i o n
iva-Nov 28, 2020 5:31 AM

"i tried to drown an 8 year old once"
- @marinara-sauce

バンの一味

Nov 28, 2020 5:23 AM

Apr 2016
This got my interest. The dub might be pretty good, so I'm looking forward to it (especially with Kaji Yuki in it).
The only problem I have is with the opening. It sounds like a generic shounen opening and it doesn't fit the atmosphere of the show at all. The Chinese opening was perfect, but this? Not even close.
ChroNoiR Episode.0 is the best anime to ever exist

Kanae forever in my heart

Nov 28, 2020 5:55 AM

Oct 2020
Hype. Hopefully this makes MDZS more popular (even though its already the most popular donghua rn). Still waiting on season 3
Nov 28, 2020 6:04 AM

Mar 2012
Toshiyuki Morikawa is included then I'm definitely gonna watch this :'D
Nov 28, 2020 7:01 AM

Apr 2015
Reading that character list with backwards manes gave me a eadache.. Adn they even left Su She as it is.

Both Japanese and Chinese have last names first, so please do everyone's sanity a favor and leave them as is.
Nov 28, 2020 8:58 AM

Oct 2020
That's quiet a casts right there. Ngl, if i was a fan of this anime, i would be very ecstatic seeing the casts, lol.
Too bad, I'm not into this kind of anime, but i do know someone who will love it. So I'll just go and recommend this to her now that it has a JP dub XD
A certain person lurking here
Nov 28, 2020 11:37 AM
Apr 2020
Stoorainclaire said:
since it's made from china. first of all. I want to ask about the story...is it good? I read lots of manhua(only) and sorry to say that most of it really2 sucks. there are some that actually good to the point that I thought Its was made by Korean.

If you are not into shounen ai, then that depends. I am not one too, but I watched it and its pretty good. The story is better than majority of donghua.
Those manhua that you mentioned are probably amateurs' works, somehow they get popular. I recommend true manhua like Feng Shen Ji, Xi Xing Ji, The Ravages of Time, and Biao Ren (it goes downhill after chapter 70 or so)
Nov 28, 2020 3:34 PM
Aug 2019
Honestly, I prefer the original Chinese sub, but I'll give this a shot while I wait for the third season.
Nov 28, 2020 3:52 PM

Mar 2010
I am kinda happy to see there is a Japanese option. I am really curious on how different this series may feel in a different language!
Nov 28, 2020 4:23 PM

Nov 2018
I think I'll watch this in Chinese and then rewatch it in Japanese when that version gets released. It'll be interesting to see how the Japanese dub performs.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 28, 2020 10:44 PM
Oct 2020
In this adaptation, they have 1991 casts (hanae, souma and hayamin), + Kimetsu no Yaiba casts (hanae, hayamin, morikawa, ryoheidrunk, and hikaru), SAO casts (hanae, nobunaga and hayamin + ayako when all of three were worked together in tari-tari) + RWBY casts (ayako, hayamin, souma and hikaru) + fate series (ayako and hikaru in fate/zero and hayamin x hanae in fate apocrypha)
reny1966naninNov 28, 2020 11:00 PM
Nov 28, 2020 11:38 PM

Mar 2016
More cute boy-love please.
Give me all of it.

Give me all of the gay.
GIVE IT TO ME NOW!
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Nov 29, 2020 12:29 AM

Nov 2019
Awwww :( This would definitely attract more fans. But, I feel like people should appreciate the Chinese dubbing more, and just watch it in Chinese. :(
Nov 29, 2020 11:32 PM
Nov 2013
They have pretty good cast there and Aimer is always a plus, her voice is beautiful.

Lol I completely get a different feel from the Japanese dub and the song choices for OP and ED, so I'm guessing the Japanese dub will lean towards a more shounen-ish atmosphere. I know some fans would be disappointed but honestly, the donghua is made to be action-packed as much as possible by extending/adding lots of new action scenes while the main focus of the novel is actually the characters and the ideas behind their actions.

So I think the Japanese staff actually has a good catch on the atmosphere and just simply makes it become completely shounen lmaooooo. This new trailer is better than all the Chinese trailers we got for season 1 lol. The tension is real.
Nov 30, 2020 12:22 PM

Feb 2011
My ears had no idea how to feel about this haha. I'll watch it in Japanese at least once though.
眠れないのは君のせい
May 2, 2021 1:16 PM
Dec 2015
where can I watch it in Japanese version ?
May 3, 2021 5:35 PM
Dec 2018
This is good news. Many people on MAL are weebs, so this might bring more awareness to the series with a Jap dub.

I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by ST63LTH »»
6 hours ago

» Undead Unluck Unveiled: Let's Talk Muscles with Yoshifumi Tozuka

Kineta - Mar 19

4 by Anime_Luv »»
7 hours ago

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:17 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
Yesterday, 9:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.