Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 6, 2020 3:42 PM

Oct 2012
Is fishing fun? Why do you think it is fun, or why is it not?
Do fish have feelings of pain or horror?
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 6, 2020 3:55 PM

Sep 2015
I would say that hunting down something like a deer is "worse" morally than catching and killing a fish because the minds of fish aren't as similar to ours. Regardless, I think both of them are cruel actions, unless you really need to do it for food (which you usually don't in the modern world) or another important purpose. The person doing it isn't necessarily a cruel person, maybe they don't want the animal to suffer and so on, but an action in and of itself can be cruel too. If you kill another creature of course there is a cruelty to it.

I have never tried fishing but I imagine it can be really fun, like playing a computer game or doing some sort of sport or children's game. I wouldn't want fishing to be prohibited if there's not too much of it.
can dis sig fit
Nov 6, 2020 3:57 PM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
If it's for food, why not. If it's just for the hell of it and that, then I guess it is cruel.
Nov 6, 2020 4:02 PM

Jun 2020
SargonTheGreat said:
Dont goldfish lose their memory every minute or something? If all fish are like goldfish then it isnt cruelty because they probably cant even comprehend whats going on.
that's just an urban myth, not true at all.

fishing is cool and all until people start driving them tunas to extinction
Nov 6, 2020 4:03 PM

Oct 2020
Fish lack the higher intelligence required for pain. So it isn't cruel.

It is rather enjoyable and peaceful.
Nov 6, 2020 4:36 PM

Aug 2020
That entirely depends on things that you're fishing for.

“There is great satisfaction in fighting for the sake of gaining power, but it’s joyless to fight for the sake of maintaining it.”
– Reinhard Von Lohengramm
Nov 6, 2020 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
fish are cold-blooded; they do not feel pain the way humans do, if any at all.

they are like, so low in the meat food chain that there's even a subgroup of degens who call themselves 'pescatarians'.

fishing is both natural and fun. mostly relaxing as recreational activity.
Nov 6, 2020 5:34 PM

Aug 2009
Not another pussy PETA-tard vegan thread.
Nov 6, 2020 5:41 PM

Feb 2015
For people like Robson Green who BBC Earth seems to have a huge (lady)boner on—because there's not a day you'd miss his show—it's a lifestyle.
Nov 6, 2020 5:45 PM

Jan 2020
It's kill or be killed. Use every single part of the animal.

ezikialrage said:
Not another pussy PETA-tard vegan thread.

Your picture fits surprisingly well.

Nov 6, 2020 5:55 PM

May 2014
Depends. Are you eating what you catch? Nothing wrong with that. But fishing/hunting for sport is completely wild in my opinion... but I come from a place where people actually hunt to save money and fill their bellies. Rural Manitoba, Canada.

I don’t see what’s interesting about killing a deer and leaving it’s body to rot. People need to be a little more respectful of what nature gives us. And why fuck around with fish for no reason
Nov 6, 2020 6:21 PM

Oct 2020
This is a post a vegan would make. If you've fished before you'd know you can always return them back to sea.
LordTuchankaNov 6, 2020 10:11 PM
Nov 6, 2020 9:12 PM

Sep 2017
It's fun
Also people who go fishing for hobby usually return the fishes back to the lake
خ
Nov 6, 2020 10:29 PM
Dec 2017
for some its hobby and a survival skill for peta type its cruelty.

Nov 6, 2020 11:47 PM

Mar 2008
Fish don't experience pain same as we do they react to damaging stimuli more reflexively than think about it at least as far as we know. It''s not something I am making up it's what I heard off science stuff. There is a difference in that the pain isn't perceived on a deeper level. So it's not as bad as if it were a mamal. I am not sure what it could be compaired to. Perhaps insects? Though probably above insects due to being larger. It's not really something I am interested in like I used to years bacm because I am concerned even in caitch and release the fish may be killed from damage done to their bodies which is worse than caitching them to eat because it's wasteful and more self centred when it's merely for fun not food.
Nov 7, 2020 12:24 AM

Dec 2016
I think most people that fish for sports are massive dicks to the fish so I rather they to get a new hobby. As for fishing for food, Im okay with it. Fish meat is a cheap way to get many essential nutrients and fishing is much less wastfull and stressfull to the fish than fish farming or mass fishing, where fish that aren't the ones we want, reptiles and mamals -that are even more capable of feeling pain- get killed.
N04L1TYNov 7, 2020 12:30 AM
heh.
Nov 7, 2020 1:06 AM

Aug 2007
Reminded me of a video I saw about vegans protesting on pearl / oyster farming.

Why is it that some here believes fishing as a hobby is more cruel than fishing for food? Unless you return them back alive, they both end up dead.. it's equally cruel.
もろともに
哀れと思へ
山桜

花より外に
知る人もなし.

On a mountain slope,
Solitary, uncompanioned,
Stands a cherry tree.

Except for you, lonely friend,
To others I am unknown.

Nov 7, 2020 2:21 AM

Dec 2016
WWJD?

It is rather interesting that both Jesus and Dr. Seuss was very interested in fish and fishing.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime.

One fish, two fish, blue fish, red fish.
Nick nack paddy whack give a dog a bone.
Nov 7, 2020 2:28 AM

May 2018
Without fishing then it means there wont be fish to eat/fish fingers/ salmon

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Nov 7, 2020 4:02 AM

Apr 2016
It's stupid. Just like hunting it's a cruel and unnecessary "sport"
Nov 7, 2020 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Soverign said:
WWJD?

It is rather interesting that both Jesus and Dr. Seuss was very interested in fish and fishing.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will feed himself for a lifetime.

One fish, two fish, blue fish, red fish.
Nick nack paddy whack give a dog a bone.

lol all of this.

Fishing is an industry. Fishing is required to feed the people. Sure some people fish just for fun but its a good and useful skill to have. Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for life and also teaches his children so that they may feed themselves for life. (Soverign already said this).

It is bad for people to fish to the point of making a species go extinct. Or just catching a fish to show it off. We should only take what we need.
Nov 7, 2020 4:45 AM
Oct 2018
It's obviously cruel and evil but people will still do it. But whatever.
--
Nov 7, 2020 6:12 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
To fish you need bait
Kid me was afraid of hooks cause I feared I'd hook my fingers and not the bait.

For some of my relatives who suffer from violent tendencies fishing helps them not commit crime. Most of them unhook caught fish and throw 'em back. There's also areas on the planet unsuitable for agriculture where people fish or hunt to trade for veg and fruit.

Other animals hunt for fish as well. Though their diet options are often much more limited.
Nov 7, 2020 6:24 AM

Sep 2018
First of all its natural!

There are countries that survive due to fishing and its specialy deserted islands with few people or animals. I also live in an island and its one of the basic needs in order to live.

We are careful to fish at legal spots and the seasons its permited though.
Nov 7, 2020 11:08 AM
Jul 2020
It is natural if u r doing it for survival, even tho u dont have the NECESSITY to eat fish or any other animal. As a sport, just like hunting (as a sport) its just pure cruelty in my opinion. How would u call killing/hurting another life for entratainment?
Nov 7, 2020 11:34 AM

May 2013
It's a hobby. I've never been very good at it.

I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Nov 7, 2020 4:44 PM

Oct 2017
I am okay with it if you're going to eat the fish, but if you just want to pierce open its flesh and then dump it back into the water - that's cruelty.

Ironic thing is, you talk about the same thing with cows and most people will be saying "yummy burger".
Nov 7, 2020 8:25 PM
Jul 2018
No, fishing was never fun for me. Even as a kid(when I wasn't vegan) I felt a little weirded out about using a fishing hook to catch them. The only reason why I agreed to catch one was that the teacher told me they don't feel pain.
I'm pretty sure fish do feel pain though. Fish do react to pain, they produce the same opioids(pain killers) that mammals do, they have a brain, and they have neurons.

Even, if we are to throw out the possibility, that they do feel pain, that hook is going to seriously damage them, it may cripple them to the point of death. The change in pressure from the water to air by itself can cause fish organs to bust. You might as well just kill them at that point.

I don't agree with using them as food either if you live in the modern world, as there are other more humane methods to get those vitamins. That said, it's certainly a lot more excusable than the hobby thing.
removed-userNov 8, 2020 7:08 AM
Nov 7, 2020 8:59 PM
Jul 2020
Cruelty is asking such an obvious yet intriguing question that it lures in the people who cannot discern whether this is humor or not.
Nov 7, 2020 9:04 PM

Sep 2018
I always was kind of neutral towards hunting and fishing. It is kind of cruel, but that is the basis of life imo.
Jan 24, 2022 9:30 AM

Jul 2021
Let any fish who meets my gaze learn the true meaning of fear; for I am the harbinger of death. The bane of creatures sub-aqueous, my rod is true and unwavering as I cast into the aquatic abyss. A man, scorned by this uncaring Earth, finds solace in the sea. My only friend, the worm upon my hook. Wriggling, writhing, struggling to surmount the mortal pointlessness that permeates this barren world. I am alone. I am empty. And yet, I fish.

It's fun.
Jan 24, 2022 1:14 PM

Feb 2020
Given how polluted British waters are, it might be a blessing to be hooked out.
Look what happened to this poor fella :(
Jan 24, 2022 1:21 PM

Jan 2021
I mean you can fish and then return them afterwards
Even if you don't I see no problem with that, fish can't feel pain, and I don't see a reason to feel pity for them
Jan 24, 2022 1:24 PM

Jan 2021
idk have you tried asking what the fish think about it?
smile B)
Jan 24, 2022 1:30 PM

Jan 2019
Yes, fish can feel pain. But it's easier to pretend they don't, and avoid even quick google searches. If all fails, you can say that they're dumb, so it's ok to kill them. Just don't let others catch your children if they turn out dumb.
Feb 21, 2022 6:53 AM
Jul 2018
It’s kinda cruel how boring fishing is. Similar to hunting I think it’s fine if you’re going to eat the animal.
Feb 21, 2022 7:17 AM

Jun 2019
Ask Hiyori and Koharu from Slow Loop.

The poll options don't make a good deal of sense in the first place, because "It's cruel" and "It's natural" are not even remotely mutually exclusive notions. It's both cruel and natural. Many, many things are both cruel and natural. Although since "cruel" usually in my view carries with it a subtle implication of deliberate malice, I prefer to use the term "brutal" for this and other natural phenomena. Like a brutal hurricane, tsunami, or blizzard rather than a cruel one.

All organisms and especially all consumer classes of lifeforms (less so plants), such as all animals (including humans and all species of fish), fungi, bacteria, many protists, many archaea, and viruses (contentiously debated philosophically and in some sectors of the scientific community if they actually constitute life, but I personally consider them as such) all step on, kill, drain, and exploit other walks of life for their own betterment in some way, shape, or form; to survive, thrive, grow, and expand.

I don't view a human killing a fish during the act of fishing therefore as any fundamentally different from an animal killing any other animal for food - i.e. something which occurs every single second of every day and will probably not ever stop until the end of the universe or at least this galaxy or just Earth itself. Something that makes organisms part of what they are.

I don't think a human killing a fish is any better or worse than a human killing a cow, pig, chicken, goat, lamb, or turkey. I don't place mammals as some exclusive category or place mammals or birds (the poultry meats) above or below aquatic life in some delusional pyramid. I'm also not an anthropocentrist. Animals are animals (humans included). Cows or dogs or cats or golden snub-nosed monkeys aren't better than a rainbow trout or a crayfish or more or less worthy or deserving of life.

I don't see the purpose behind the catch-and-release side of recreational fishing though. It has always seemed like a pointless waste of time and energy in that I would never have any interest in doing it if there wasn't something to be gained, like actually acquiring delicious fish as food. If it's just for prestige and "bragging rights" similar to trophy hunting then it seems like a useless and unenjoyable activity to me, but every whim and thought has a person willing to enact it.
WatchTillTandavaFeb 21, 2022 7:22 AM
Feb 22, 2022 4:34 AM

Oct 2008
It's cruel, but fish are delicious.
As for fishing, same as hunting. It can't be considered sport. Because in a sport both parties know it's a sport.
Feb 24, 2022 7:35 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
I am... pleasantly surprised to see so many people here with the same opinion as me. I've always said that fishing for sport (as opposed to fishing for food) doesn't sit right with me, and nobody's ever agreed with me before

I'm not going to be rallying armies to take down hobby fishers or anything like that, but I just think that survival (be it for food or for self-defense) is the only natural reason to end another creature's existence. Others can disagree with me and that's totally fine, but I certainly won't be fishing anytime soon since I hate seafood, lol
My greatest contribution to this website:
Feb 24, 2022 7:51 PM

Jun 2011
Sport fishing is cruel just like sport hunting.
Feb 24, 2022 8:30 PM

Mar 2016
I don't care if it's cruel, I like to eat fish. If the fish isn't big enough by law, if you have one, throw it back. Imagine feeling for a fish. The sissy levels are indescribably high here. If you will it, being a higher lifeform, you can kill whatever you want that isn't on our same level of sentience. It's literally here to die for us. That's how survival works. Gee who would've known.
>oh my god you're mocking fish
Do you know how stupid you sound lmao I'll hunt all the fish how about that
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Feb 24, 2022 8:47 PM

Jan 2009
the world is cruel but beautiful - mikasa

its eat or be eaten
Feb 25, 2022 12:12 AM

Sep 2019
We are predators we hunt to survive if it means taking fish out of the water to stay alive than its natural
Feb 25, 2022 12:40 AM

Sep 2016
people who fish for sport are assholes it's just needless cruelty
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

Feb 25, 2022 12:42 AM

Feb 2020
Sport fishing is definitely cruel...
Mar 22, 2022 3:14 PM

Feb 2017
its both fun and natural and not wrong at all unless things are being hunted to endangerment and therefor effecting the ecosystem. money spent on hunting and fishing licenses goes towards animal conservation programs, and some species of animal need to be culled or else all the animals will suffer via starvation because the land cant sustain that number of animals.
Mar 22, 2022 3:45 PM
Mar 2022
Zoushu said:
I think both of them are cruel actions, unless you really need to do it for food (which you usually don't in the modern world)

Bro, just sit in your pod and watch Netflix. Fishing? Ew, what are you, some sort of hick? Just order McDonalds. Buy an electric car and charge it with solar panels. Eat the bugs.
Mar 22, 2022 3:48 PM
Jan 2022
YAHOOGAYCHATROOM said:
Zoushu said:
I think both of them are cruel actions, unless you really need to do it for food (which you usually don't in the modern world)

Bro, just sit in your pod and watch Netflix. Fishing? Ew, what are you, some sort of hick? Just order McDonalds. Buy an electric car and charge it with solar panels. Eat the bugs.
Eat the bugs! Eat the bugs! Eat the bugs!
Read it and weep. Your ethnicity and culture are weak.
Mar 22, 2022 5:23 PM

Jul 2015
Catch and release seems cruel to me. Catching and frying is much more natural.
Mar 22, 2022 5:25 PM

Jul 2007
Depends how much of a dick the fish is being.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

49 by CalmTeaTime »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

42 by Kamikaze_404 »»
20 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

48 by Rhaelynne »»
26 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.