Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2020 10:06 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not referring to Gyakuten Saiban or Danganronpa. In these cases it obviously makes more sense to play without a walkthrough.
But in the case of games like Fate/Stay Night or Steins;Gate, for example, in which there are many story routes that depend on your choice, do you prefer to find all possibilities within the game on your own or does following an ideal list of actions to go directly though the ideal list of routes in the intended order make the experience more enjoyable?
From what I remember, basically everytime I saw an anime character playing visual novels it's always made clear that he or she is trying to complete the routes on his or her own as some kind of challenge. So my question is, to those who try to complete these games without guides: Is there a relevant excitement or valuable experience that comes from the process of trying to unlock and complete all the routes on your own instead of relying on a walkthrough, so as to make up for the time spent on it?
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 17, 2020 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
It really depends on the game. Sometimes one playthrough is enough, other times I want to see another route I felt like taking. But most visual novels aren't, like, good enough for me to wanna see all outcomes. And I don't really need to see 100% of a visual novel.
Oct 17, 2020 1:19 AM
Dec 2010
I have a fast record of only finishing one route and considering the whole game done. I also have a fast record of dropping a lot of VN, since they aren't interesting enough. Trust me, it is too much effort.

I only really tend to complete the ones I really like and made well enough. I might need a guide if the path system to each routes are rather complicated. Most of the times, it is fine without a guide.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where you are supposed to even get a guide. >_>;;
Butterfly_WhiteOct 17, 2020 1:26 AM
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Oct 17, 2020 2:10 AM

Nov 2013
Romaki26 said:
It really depends on the game. Sometimes one playthrough is enough, other times I want to see another route I felt like taking. But most visual novels aren't, like, good enough for me to wanna see all outcomes. And I don't really need to see 100% of a visual novel.

Ah yeah, I forgot to consider it in my first post, but there's also the possibility of just playing through one route. It's not like one necessarily needs to complete 100% of it.
BrightFlashLight said:
I have a fast record of only finishing one route and considering the whole game done. I also have a fast record of dropping a lot of VN, since they aren't interesting enough. Trust me, it is too much effort.

I only really tend to complete the ones I really like and made well enough. I might need a guide if the path system to each routes are rather complicated. Most of the times, it is fine without a guide.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where you are supposed to even get a guide. >_>;;

Did you play Fate/Stay Night? Its routes are very complicated, and I used a guide because I noticed that it would take too much time to solve the routes on my own.

I think it's very easy to find a good guide nowadays. I just write the visual novel's name in japanese in the google and then write 攻略 beside it. A good result usually appears from the site seiya-saiga.com
This is a walkthrough for Date A Live: Rio Reincarnation, for example: https://seiya-saiga.com/game/compileheart/date_a_live_pc.html
You can also search for the name of the game directly in the list of the site: https://seiya-saiga.com/game/kouryaku.html
I think it's reliable.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 17, 2020 2:41 AM

Sep 2010
>play
>VNs
Does not compute. VNs are not games. The word you think of is "read". And no, basically, almost never, only if there is some elusive end that I just can't wrap my head around how to get. And in several cases I didn't even applied what I've read in guide when I've read to where it leads, so much I disliked it (you know, bad ends or joke ends).

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Oct 17, 2020 3:40 AM

Jan 2009
I usually try to do the first route myself, then choose a walkthrough to get them one-by-one with all CGs
However, it's become harder for me to focus on reading VNs and more often than not, titles land on indefinite on-hold

BrightFlashLight said:
Fuwanovel and Gamefaq usually have guides. Otherwise, I just enter the name of the VN + walkthrough in a search engine
Oct 17, 2020 4:03 AM

Nov 2013
kitsune0 said:
>play
>VNs
Does not compute. VNs are not games. The word you think of is "read". And no, basically, almost never, only if there is some elusive end that I just can't wrap my head around how to get. And in several cases I didn't even applied what I've read in guide when I've read to where it leads, so much I disliked it (you know, bad ends or joke ends).

In fact, I also usually prefer to use the verb "to read" instead because, generally speaking, I don't like video games, and saying that I like "to play a game" sounds not as proper for an adult as saying that I like to "read visual novels", but, leaving aside the denial factor, I honestly think that the verb "to play" still makes more sense, first because it's very common for visual novels to have game elements in it, and also because one doesn't just read a visual novel like one reads a book, for example. The verb "to play" gives a broader meaning that envelops the whole process of reading, looking at the drawings, and listening to the musics and the speeches of the voice actors in the visual novel, besides pressing some buttons to pass to the next text or make choices. Saying that I "read" a visual novel doesn't seem honest, since there's obviously more to it than just reading.
― Saint Augustine
Oct 17, 2020 6:39 AM

Jun 2016
kitsune0 said:
>play
>VNs
Eroge = erotic game
Oct 17, 2020 6:56 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
I usually try to read/play them without any guides at first so I can see where my own decisions would lead me to. That way it makes a VN way more appealing to me than when I already know what choices lead to which endings.

When I notice that I run against a wall or can't find anything new, I start using a walkthrough. Said walkthrough is then used until I got every CG and/or other extras the VN has to offer.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Oct 18, 2020 6:31 AM
Jul 2020
It depends... But majority of the time I do lol.
Oct 18, 2020 1:54 PM
Dec 2017
depends if its danganronpa or chaos child then yeah but the romance stuff with bare minimal interaction not really.

Oct 22, 2020 5:17 AM
Sep 2020
I'd like not to prefer to guide if the VN is short(10-30 hours) and if it is of about 30-50 hours, if the storyline is good and completing it 100% is worth a try, I'd refer to guide. But if is greater than 50, I'd first try it myself then complete 100% using guide to watch all endings.

In the end, it depends on your interest to complete the game. If you want to see all endings but failed to, there's no harm in using guides and walkthroughs though.

*I needed to use guide for Date A Live Rio Reincarnation for 100% completion...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 24, 2020 11:21 AM

Mar 2014
If we're talking about playstation 3/4/VITA games then I always use the guide because of the trophies. If I play ds or psp visual novels simply I don't use them.
Oct 24, 2020 12:16 PM

Oct 2020
Most definitely with, especially those that are more interactive, and not so kinetic novelish*...
Have you seen the picture walkthrough for YU-NO The Girl that Chants Love at the Edge of the World?
Its a bit of a lot :)
Oct 30, 2020 4:47 AM

Mar 2012
I think when you play for the first time, play on your own to see how far you will get by yourself and for the next playthroughs use guide. Playing for all routes in visual games on ur own is waste of time really.
Oct 30, 2020 4:51 AM

Feb 2019
I try not to rely too much, I only check if I feel there is possibilty of missing something like extra CGs lol
Oct 30, 2020 3:33 PM

Oct 2016
There are only two scenarios where I use a guide;

1. When I'm aiming for 100% completion.

2. When I've tried all ideas I can think of, yet still can't figure out how to proceed in the game.

I don't like to rely on guides because I'd like to "properly" beat the game, but I'll turn to one if it's absolutely necessary.
Oct 30, 2020 5:35 PM

Sep 2015
First route, without, second and other routes, I do it with a guide to check what I missed and if it is worth replaying it.
Oct 30, 2020 7:37 PM

Sep 2015
I always do a first run blind (or as blind as I can at least), then it kind of depends on if I feel like I have a good idea of how I could get another ending or not on my own. If I have a good feel for the VN, I'll just do a second route w/o a guide, but otherwise I'll check a guide and see if I want to go do any of the other routes.
Oct 30, 2020 9:43 PM

Aug 2018
I it has multiple endings I might use a guide after my first ending
_______I like rocks__
Oct 30, 2020 10:40 PM

Sep 2017
I only used one and it was for Fate/Extra.I needed those matrix
خ
Jun 15, 2022 11:12 PM
Nov 2019
I haven't played much visual novels, so I can't say much, but as I've been playing Yumeutsutsu Re:Master... I definitely need a guide in order to help me get to even a single girl's route. Having the fast forward mechanic be slow as fuck while having to choose several options, except I chose a single wrong option and now I get the normal ending again... yeah. I need a guide.

Well... it depends on the visual novel tbh. Like there are visual novels that don't bombard you with that much choices, and I believe you can play those even without a guide. If we're talking about a visual novel with so many choices, but at the same time, every single choice actually leads to different endings, then personally speaking, a guide wouldn't really be needed. That seems like a very fun visual novel to complete 100%. Not unless if the endings make me feel like I've experienced nothing of importance.
Neat.
Also neat.
And another.
+ another one.
And another one.
Then have one more.
Actually, have two more.
Jun 17, 2022 10:46 PM

Mar 2021
Yes. I enjoy them, but I don't want to be going over and over the same bits of dialogue just to find bits I have missed.
Jun 27, 2022 10:50 PM
Mar 2017
I played all 3 Date A Live VNs with a guide after my first casual run of 1 route but Steins;gate did a casual playthrough. Because there is so many choices. I know the characters but some choices are unclear at times while others no problem depending on the scene or whatever the Devs wanted to tease you with more than the characters it feels like at times so that wasn't a game I wanted to sit around moving in and out of saves and options with all the time. Appreciate the amount of choices for interesting dialogue and scenes but still a lot for 100s of hours to beat all 3 I didn't want to spend longer on.

I plan to play with a guide for the other routes just encase to save me time on choices and saves.

For Danganronpa games not yet just working out what I can but may if need be.

Raging Loop I'm going in blind as it's more fun that way besidea the very easy to get into choices but picking the bad ends to unlock things when needed or trophies.

Love Plus I aced because the stats are so easy to increase all 4 I had no issue it was easy to get high of all 4 which most games Neeve allow that but this changed the way I see the game compared to how I thought it was going to be with affinity to stats but in terms of the barriers they are so low it's not issue just who you pick to follow with whatever times you are them. But choices wise not sure how they go yet to actually lead to the later parts of the route with all the repetition and very little new route stuff happening as often.

That's about my experiences with a handful.

I didn't do much with the Toradora, Oreimo or Haruhi ones just trialed then to see what ideas they out in. I could see myself using guides for them likely.
Jun 28, 2022 2:30 AM

Oct 2020
Most first tries, i finish it on my own.
If it's a second playthrough and i wan't a certain ending, i look up a guide

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
3 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.