Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 16, 2020 2:55 PM

Oct 2018
PrincessJAM said:
616Knight said:

I think she was just putting on her maid uniform because she was about to start making food. I think people are looking too deep into those few frames.
hopefully thats what it was people do like to make mountains out of mole hills.

The chief said something like "She's gonna be a beauty when she grows up" or "she'll grow into a real beauty", can't remember exactly, but the point is, he's probably planning to make her into his s*x slave in the future.(definitely not something as pure as his wife, you can tell from his behavior)
Until then, he's most likely "just" abusing and molesting her every day, assuming he's not doing worse things already.

That's the way I see it.

Why else would she be so depressed?
If she had a good life in that house, even as a slave, she would be happy.
Like when she broke the cup and vase, he was clearly ready to beat her, but he couldn't do it in front of everyone.
Obviously she's not treated well.
-Aincrad-Oct 16, 2020 3:01 PM
Oct 16, 2020 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
Honestly, I liked the new episode because it felt real. Sometimes, you see things unfold in front of you, but you end up being a bystander and doing nothing. That made it feel more real and relatable. I don't think most people would've done anything if put in Elaina's place. I know it's fiction, but it's a breath of fresh air imo, and it did remind me about how cruel the world could be sometimes. Not all anime have to have main characters who use their power for good, real life doesn't work that way. I just see Elaina as a traveler, experiencing and learning things as she goes, and what we see is what she documents.
Oct 16, 2020 3:03 PM
Oct 2016
616Knight said:
WeisserSchnee2 said:
Yeah Elaina, an adolescent should rescue a complete stranger, without knowing anything about the situation, and should shoulder the full responsibility.
What a great worldview some people have here...

You guys watched too many animes where only heroes and villains (white and black) appeared, that's why you can't handle a realistically written character like Elaina.

She did what rationally would be the best.
And your metaphor about the drowning child doesn't work at all. I mean the whole situation would be resolved after rescuing the kid out of the water. No responsibility involved at all

@OP

Your quote from the LN
"It really was a beautiful place. But I had no reason to ever return. If I did, I would just end up feeling sad."

Shows perfectly that she weighed her possibilities, and decided that it is regretably beyond her means. Hence she said she would feel sad

The problem is, its not beyond her means. The show has made it clear that she is every skilled and talented. Rescuing one person for someone that's clearly an overpowered character isnt beyond her means. Also, what responsibility would she have after saving the girl? Elaina could have brought them somewhere safe and they could have taken care of themselves. And the comment about black and white also makes no sense since the older man was clearly a morally abhorrent character, there was no grey area in that story.

But what can she do beyond that? Take her to an orphanage where she'll just be abused and beat again? It might be easy for Elaina to saver her but I don't think she could make her life any better and she possibly could've made it worse. That was the whole point of this episode
DesoliOct 16, 2020 3:10 PM
Oct 16, 2020 3:06 PM
Jul 2019
To quote the first volume of the LN

“”Well, listen up.” My mother folded her ring finger. “First, when it seems like you might be heading into a dangerous situation, that your run away as soon as possible. Don’t go poking your nose where it doesn’t belong. Otherwise, you would be dead.” “Got it.” That was just common sense. I’d do that even if you didn’t make me promise. I’m not ready to die, you know.”

It’s also pretty much self explanatory if you paid attention to episode 1 of this series too.
UncleJojoOct 16, 2020 3:11 PM
Oct 16, 2020 3:07 PM

Sep 2019
This episode was good. Saving them or not is Elaina’s choice not ours, don’t mix the morals of Elaina’s world with our world. Slavery is a normal thing in that world and Elaina isn’t a saint.
Oct 16, 2020 3:14 PM

Apr 2015
616Knight said:

------------------
Yes,
She can be with guy that found her the happiness
you can ensure she isnt in the wrong hands because he clearly cared a lot about her
----------------------------
So you suggest that Elaina rips the family apart. Do you really think the clueless son agrees with it?

-------------------
She might still kill herself, but at least she has a chance to be free, I am not expecting Elaina to fix everything, just to try
-------------------------------------
As an adolescent you are way more afraid of failure, so not attempting is the better option. The scene where she points her wand at the "father" but then changes the target, shows that she already weighed her options
-------------------------
Elaina can fly, human cannot, there is no way "father" could catch up to Nino after Elaina flew her a distance away.
---------------------------
I meant it like, the father will find out where Nino lives and catches her. We got to know that he already traveled far away. And being a maniac doesn't let it seem too unlikely

I answered within your quote
Oct 16, 2020 3:18 PM
Dec 2018
616Knight said:

Elaina can fly, human cannot, there is no way "father" could catch up to Nino after Elaina flew her a distance away.

That sounds like a runaway criminal. And that's chief we're talking about; he sure has political powers. Compare this to real life, even if you are well built with fighting skills, you're not gonna beat up a politician, especially when you're just a teenager. She didn't want to be in unnecessary trouble. She can't stay at the house to look after Nino, nor she can take her to travel with her. And remember she pointed the wand at chief first, which frightened him a bit. She could have attacked him, but she played safe, which I believe any normal human would do.
Oct 16, 2020 3:18 PM
May 2010
I think that Elaina is narcissistic, immature and apathetic but not totally a terrible person.

There was nothing really that she could have done to save the town near the flower field. She was used as a tool to bring the flowers to town but she had no idea what she was doing, she thought that she was doing a good deed. She couldn't save the guy searching for his sister because he had already been poisoned the instant he saw the flowers. She couldn't burn down the flower field because the fumes would have then poisoned the entire surrounding area. She ended up causing a lot of deaths but it was never her fault to begin with and the best thing she could have done was leave before the people started blaming her.

Elaina also considered hurting the old man but decided not to. It doesn't mean that she's bad. If the old man dies, Nino and the son would be left to starve. If she only injured him, he would probably take it out on Nino. Despite the old man treating Nino like a slave, he is Nino's only pillar of support and she would likely suffer even more without him, being sold to some brothel or something.

The only bad thing she is guilty of is egging on the son to give Nino the bottle of happiness. That was well intentioned but not well thought through, and is a result of Elaina's immaturity. That is why she feels so guilty at the end when she remembers what happened in the story, that she could not bear to go back. It's completely irresponsible of her to run away, she should have gone back to witness the consequences of her actions.

To summarize, Elaina had good intentions, but both stories ended in tragedy. They would have regardless of whether she was there or not. And there was nothing she could have done for them. She could have handled the situation better, and that is probably something she needs to learn on her journey. Elaina is clearly a child (with too much power) and is on a journey to grow up, making mistakes (unfortunately involving lives) along the way.
Oct 16, 2020 3:20 PM

Feb 2010
going to have to agree with the OP here at lest as far as Elaina's character is concerned

Elaina isn't being pragmatic

for example that people keep trying to use.

Kino form kino no tabi TOPPLED AN ENTIRE KINGDOM because the asshole of a king killed some one kino tired to help.

kino is pragmatic and even she didn't stand for that shit.

Elaina is just a self centered b*tch. in the LN it's been already shown that shes willing to scam others out of things and cause harm as long as it benefits herself.
That's fine there are plenty of series where the main character isn't the good guy, but it's laughable when people try to deflect valid criticism on that character
GrimAtramentOct 16, 2020 3:32 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 16, 2020 3:29 PM
Nov 2016
Never posted before, but I had to see if anyone else noticed how drastically different this episode seemed compared to the first two. I agree, OP here is putting too much of one's own thoughts and perceptions onto Elaina and also other commenters.

I just think the anime story so far has been pretty badly executed and am wondering how the novel compares. And not to say this cannot be rectified in future episodes, but I have no clue what the point of this series is currently. Is it about a cute, powerful witch? Is it just a traveler's story? Is it dark and edgy?

Episode 1 introduces cute girl with incredible power, she supposedly learns how to be humble(d)....which didn't work. She's on a high horse pretty much all the time whether about her beauty or being a witch. Don't mistake her moments of timidity for humility cause I honestly haven't seen it. Please tell me if you think otherwise.

Episode 2 - Still seemingly nice, cute, but relativiely egotistical witch going about her travels. Adds a potential bit of darkness with the stalker girl, but Elaina treats her well, gives her a hat, seems like there is growth on both ends.

Episode 3 - Honestly, what in the world happened here. Horribly dark, creepy story there (which Elaina only survived from sheer dumb luck). She treated the young guard like crap, granted he was rude too. But you knew at the end there, she was no heroine. I mean she easily could have said something to the young guard about the woman, to the old guard, anything in a proactive manner would have shown a 'heroine' aspect here or gone to check on the woman. No, she just watched him be absorbed. (So, witches can apparently do a lot, but not save the guy I guess-just seemed out of context of the supposed power dynamic we'd learned in so far, but ok there's limits). She just watches and leaves. No introspection noted. Then the weird shot of the zombie people trying to go infect others (again, direction, is that the norm? foreshadowing? highlighting the new dark context???)

2nd part Ep. 3 - I'm thinking this is full on horror/darkness now w/ some dude "trapping" people's happiness in a jar. Other villagers nowhere to be seen. Elaina does her "ehh" response then her (slightly bitchy imo, but I think she was clued in on the son's weird/creepy side) cute, surprised reaction. Then,, as other people have said, she did nothing to help the girl who is enslaved, abused, and may or may not be being sexually abused. Obviously not at all the heroine in this moment (repairing the jar just alleviated the small, current situation that was also causing her own discomfort - unclear as to who's benefit it was really meant). Then Elaina tells the son to give her, the slave, the happiness, bails, remembers the terrible ending, and goes F*** that, I'm out. Both stories in this episode, I never got the sense Elaina cared, gave them too much thought, or grew better/worse/in any way.

So, maybe someone who has read the novels, what kind of series is this??? Cause the direction has been unbelievable convoluted, and if purposeful, I would say perhaps too much so.

Who/what is Elaina? - MC? Bystander? Antagonist, protagonist, neutral (w/ a unintentional chaotic side to spur the narrative)?

oh, and P.S. - I don't necessarily care if Elaina is good, bad, or dies next episode. I just want the director (for the anime) to support the world and character with intentional, narratively-consistent content.

tl;dr - Episode 3 was a train wreck of an episode and for the series direction-wise (imo). Hopefully the novels and/or future episodes prove me otherwise
ShoupyDooOct 16, 2020 5:27 PM
Oct 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Feb 2020
ShoupyDoo said:
Episode 3 was a train wreck of an episode and for the series direction-wise (imo)

That's my opinion too. Too much stuff compacted in just 1 episode. They had to cut corners and the stories became a mess.
The first story had just 7m16s running time, not enough.
And for the 2nd we get the feeling something is not being told.
Also we need to know something about a possible code of laws for Witches to understand the apathy of Elaina. Is there one?
Oct 16, 2020 4:20 PM

Jul 2016
Reading OP and the posts that agree with him, I honestly had trouble not facepalming in the process.

It's like some of you guys think that fixing the world is as easy as "beating up the bad guy and freeing up the princess". What do you think would have happened, exactly, if Elaina had beaten up the village chief and/or freed the enslaved girl? She was from a faraway country, had nowhere to go and definitely didn't look like somebody who could look after themselves in the process.

You know, I've always been a pretty "righteous" person myself. I always believed in justice and studied philosophy at college, specializing in political philosophy and going all the way to college. The thing is, though, that while I still believe in having a duty to live a honest and fair life, I also grew up to understand that you can't fix everything wrong around you. Because sometimes, even when you have the power to intervene, you still don't have the power to fix since you're not equipped with the power, the knowledge or even merely the position to handle the consequences.

Elaina might be a witch of considerable power, but she's not a godlike entity of some kind. She lives in a world with people of her same power and stature (or even higher) exists, and she's prolly not out there to become some kind of vindicator, Marvel-style. She's proven, again and again, that if/when she has the ability to intervene and help people, she will - often with little to no compensation for her efforts. However (much like any other human being) she'll refrain from intervening in matters way above her station. And traveling around the globe means, first and foremost, having to come to terms with the fact that the world isn't how you wish it would be and is too complicated for you or anybody to fix at the snap of a finger.

Maybe the problem with some of you is not that Elaina isn't a heroine, but that you could use more stories like this to grow out of your own "hero syndrome". Thankfully there's plenty of stories like that, if you look hard enough.
Oct 16, 2020 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
So I assume you help out every homeless person etc you come around? And I don't mean occassionally donating 1 € or 2 €. I actually once helped a homeless person I talked to at a train station by guarding him to organisations and all that will help, but that's not something you could every day. I also worked for some time with kids that needed help with the German language or with studying in general. It felt pretty good to do that but in the end it's your job. You go there, learn with them and go home and ofc some stories I heard really got to my substance, but you can't develop a helper syndrome towards everyone either.
Nobody can save everyone they come across, that's just a matter of fact and for every person you actually helped, there are dozens you come across and you can't help them, because you don't have the power, money, time, energy or own resources to do so. You actually only got personal resources for a few people in your life.
Life isn't that kind of cheesy kind of battle shounen where everyone and everything can be fixed easily and I ask myself here what Elaina should have done with her? She's still a young adult herself and travels around. I don't know what she should have done there, since it's clearly not a modern society and no child welfare can't help here and Elaina herself can't take care of her either. You clearly see that she wants to interfere but doesn't know what to do there and doesn't want to suffer the consequences either.
If she picked up every poor kid she comes across, she might get a whole orphanage in no time and how do you feed so many kids then? And that would be cruel on its own again and she would destroy her own dream as well.

Tl;dr: You don't have resources for helping everyone and there are more types of people in the world than just "people with severe helper syndrome" vs. "raging psychopaths".

And btw I like these characters, but every character from that "characters with severe helper syndrome"-type I like has got deeper reasons for that, like they feel they are of no worth, if they don't help everyone around them and / or never learned what healthy egoism looks like. That's usually what people like these are like on a psychological state of mind. I also helped too many people until I came to the insight why and that it's only possible to be there for a few people.

Zarator said:
Reading OP and the posts that agree with him, I honestly had trouble not facepalming in the process.

It's like some of you guys think that fixing the world is as easy as "beating up the bad guy and freeing up the princess". What do you think would have happened, exactly, if Elaina had beaten up the village chief and/or freed the enslaved girl? She was from a faraway country, had nowhere to go and definitely didn't look like somebody who could look after themselves in the process.

You know, I've always been a pretty "righteous" person myself. I always believed in justice and studied philosophy at college, specializing in political philosophy and going all the way to college. The thing is, though, that while I still believe in having a duty to live a honest and fair life, I also grew up to understand that you can't fix everything wrong around you. Because sometimes, even when you have the power to intervene, you still don't have the power to fix since you're not equipped with the power, the knowledge or even merely the position to handle the consequences.

Elaina might be a witch of considerable power, but she's not a godlike entity of some kind. She lives in a world with people of her same power and stature (or even higher) exists, and she's prolly not out there to become some kind of vindicator, Marvel-style. She's proven, again and again, that if/when she has the ability to intervene and help people, she will - often with little to no compensation for her efforts. However (much like any other human being) she'll refrain from intervening in matters way above her station. And traveling around the globe means, first and foremost, having to come to terms with the fact that the world isn't how you wish it would be and is too complicated for you or anybody to fix at the snap of a finger.

Maybe the problem with some of you is not that Elaina isn't a heroine, but that you could use more stories like this to grow out of your own "hero syndrome". Thankfully there's plenty of stories like that, if you look hard enough.

This ^
removed-userOct 16, 2020 6:25 PM
Oct 16, 2020 5:33 PM

Oct 2015
I don't agree this show to be appailing but the op have a right to view Elaina characters as like that . So stop attacking he/she if you didn't agree with this post.
Oct 16, 2020 5:37 PM

Jan 2019
The fact that this episode provoked so much discussion is proof that it was effective, at least in a way. I tend to agree with the author of the post, but I will have to think about it better to be sure if I see Elaina this way or not. The fact is, this episode is problematic. Regardless of the "side" on which to observe this (whether against or in favor of Elaina's apathy), it is problematic.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 16, 2020 5:41 PM
Jan 2018
Congratulations on proving yourself as someone that can't differentiate fiction from reality by projecting your morals onto someone else then labeling them a bad person and character because they didn't do what you consider to be their "duty" as a human being even though it would've gone against the episode's message and Elaina as a character that's supposed to represent the stance of being a true neutral rather than having a complex about justice. You're obviously someone not mature enough to actually grasp the concept of doing the right thing not always being the best thing to do due to every action having a consequence and impact.

She doesn't not care nor does she have a particularly flawed moral code for doing what she did. She's chose not to intervene in the lives of others for both hers and their own good and remain neutral in her journeys. This doesn't make her a bad person but it doesn't make her a good one either hence the word neutral. Your analogies are flawed and flimsy at best and nothing is as black and white as you make it out to be. This entire thread pretty much proves you have no idea what bad writing is nor do you have any real life experience.
AnimaniaigOct 16, 2020 5:50 PM
Oct 16, 2020 5:55 PM
Feb 2008
Well, OP description of this half-episode made me enjoy even more the show and Elaina as a character.

Here is my take on the character psychosis:

Everything Elaina ever wanted in her entire life is to travel without destination, and discover what the world has to offer, like the witch in her book, Nike. She never wanted to be a hero, she never wanted to be responsible for someone else's fate. She understand that she will encounter many people in terrible fate, but she also understands that she can't save them all, neighter is her job to save them all.

That kid, the salve, if she saved her, what would it do? The kid was a slave, nobody in that village would take care of her, Elaina herself would have to take care of the kid? Don't you think it would be also bad to just leave her in another town? abbandon her again? If the kid end up in the streets or as another slave, wouldn't Elaina be responsible for that too?

What about the next slave, the next person with a problem that she meets? Will she be responsible for everybody she mets problems? Is this a reasonable thing to ask?

I say again, Elaina is not a hero, nor she is trying to be one, she is traveller, she observes and then leave.

obs: I would not go as far as say she is evil, she is merely a True Neutral character.
Oct 16, 2020 5:56 PM

Apr 2016
If you save someone, but your action ends making things way worst to every other person in that indesirable condition, what you did could still be considered a "good action"? Good intentions alone doesn't mean good results, well planned and thought actions, by the other hand, does.

Imo this show message is that the world is a place way more complicated than what you see. The rich boy that loved Nino was full of good intentions, but not thinking about every other thing around her made his good intentions and actions, possibly, to result in a disaster. Elaina were not presented to the politics systems of that country, doing something out of pure feelings could just make things worst. Maybe she could save that girl, but if her action resulted in a harsher slavery system to every other slave in that country, she would still be considered a good person? Good intentions doesn't make you a good person if you're abrupt and inconsequent.

Yeah Elaina is a narcisist when it comes to her powers and talent, but she never showed the minimal intent to be seen as a good person, a hero of justice. She just accepts that she has her limits when it comes to her involvement with the world, and that acting in certain situations could just make things worsen, it alone doesn't make her a bad person, just a realistic one. This episode showed that she has feelings, but that she can control it when her acting could make things worst, just it.
Oct 16, 2020 6:01 PM

Aug 2019
I haven’t read a troll bait post in a while, thanks for the laugh.
Oct 16, 2020 6:03 PM

Mar 2012
Nobita-X said:
ShoupyDoo said:
Episode 3 was a train wreck of an episode and for the series direction-wise (imo)

That's my opinion too. Too much stuff compacted in just 1 episode. They had to cut corners and the stories became a mess.
The first story had just 7m16s running time, not enough.
And for the 2nd we get the feeling something is not being told.
Also we need to know something about a possible code of laws for Witches to understand the apathy of Elaina. Is there one?
Exactly, because some users here seem to think her just blatantly ignoring inevitable suicides and causing a whole village to possibly die is not sociopathic because "observing things and traveling does not mean you should help anybody in need."

If that was the case, Kino would've never helped anybody. The show has also not tried to make it clear that she is narcissistic so it makes the author seems oblivious and bad at writing so far.
Oct 16, 2020 6:13 PM
Jul 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Railey2 said:

>shitty person does clearly reprehensible thing
>"bro this is just the moral greyness of the human condition, if you find this repulsive it just means that your brain is too small to fathom the depth of her thought-process that led her to leave a childslave to get groomed by some greasy old dude, even though she had the power to change it"

uh huh. What exactly is grey about her decision.. again? She clearly left her to die/get groomed/raped/whatever. Doesn't look very grey to me, and your refusal to recognise this as the exact sort of pitch-black act that it is, is more than just mildly suspicious.

I knew this thread would draw out all the horrible people on MAL, this is great. Tagging all of y'all so I don't accidentally take you seriously in the future.

Jesus christ dude, calm the fuck down lol.
I have no idea what that would even accomplish. Writing all the usernames who disagreed with you because you are “horrible?” Talk about next level insecurity.
Oct 16, 2020 6:18 PM

Sep 2013
The second I finished watching the episode, I was expecting someone triggered make a post about it and bashing Elaina. And voila!!

Oh boy, you NEVER disappoint me internet.
Oct 16, 2020 6:26 PM

Jul 2008
I don't really like Elaina's... can't think of better phrasing, but almost pointless observer role? All she does is go to places and... be there. To me, it's just a really boring show and Elaina's neutrality toward every situation can come off as uncaring. Like... Why did she even become a witch? All she does is fly to a different town every day, and there aren't even misadventures and she isn't building toward any sort of goal.

It would help if the stories surrounding Elaina or the places she visited were at all interesting, but they really aren't.

Also, we never learned anything of Elaina's hometown/country at all. So we don't even know how these new places differ from what her own country is like or her own values/experiences. The world building is extremely shallow for a show about travelling the world.

Oct 16, 2020 6:30 PM

Nov 2016
PrincessJAM said:
UncleJojo said:
well to each their own. If you don’t like Elaina’s character that’s fine. People have their own views on her either it be positive or negative. Just think it this series as Kino’s Journey but with magic.
but the other difference is that kino tried to help people that needed help not just ignored them
The new Anime tended to only show the arcs where Kino intervened. In a lot of arcs in the Light Novel and even in the old Anime she was kind of a bystander just seeing stuff play out or maybe hearing about it from some side character while not getting diretly involved.

Same goes for Elaina in this show. She might help in some places later but as for now she is just a bystander

hazarddex said:
going to have to agree with the OP here at lest as far as Elaina's character is concerned

Elaina isn't being pragmatic

for example that people keep trying to use.

Kino form kino no tabi TOPPLED AN ENTIRE KINGDOM because the asshole of a king killed some one kino tired to help.

kino is pragmatic and even she didn't stand for that shit.

Elaina is just a self centered b*tch. in the LN it's been already shown that shes willing to scam others out of things and cause harm as long as it benefits herself.
That's fine there are plenty of series where the main character isn't the good guy, but it's laughable when people try to deflect valid criticism on that character
Another case where the Kino Comparassion falls flat.

In Kino no Tabi we often see Kino practicing so that she can always be prepared with her gun out if stuff goes wrong.

With Elaina we know she is a powerful Witch but most of her talent is natural and the only time she trained was with the stardust witch in ep1 just to be able to be called a witch herself. She has the ability to help but she doesn't know how to help (And neither would any of us faced in so dark of a situation)
GokaiKingOct 16, 2020 6:48 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 16, 2020 6:41 PM

Jan 2019
kazuma-sama said:
She understand that she will encounter many people in terrible fate, but she also understands that she can't save them all, neighter is her job to save them all.

That kid, the salve, if she saved her, what would it do? The kid was a slave, nobody in that village would take care of her, Elaina herself would have to take care of the kid? Don't you think it would be also bad to just leave her in another town? abbandon her again? If the kid end up in the streets or as another slave, wouldn't Elaina be responsible for that too?

Well, these points that you raise in defense of the character are not necessarily based on something that the anime says or shows. At no time is Elaina shown rationalizing this issue and deciding not to interfere because she is just an observer or because of any possible consequences of such interference. The anime does not even previously establish that Elaina would embark on such a journey with this mentality of someone who watches without interfering (even though it had two episodes before this one to do so), nor does it establish that non-interference is the best option for her, because of this or that. The anime is lacking this explanation and people are filling this gap with their own opinions/interpretations/deductions as if the anime has given enough evidence to confirm those opinions/interpretations/deductions. It hasn't.

The reasons for her not to interfere may be exactly the ones you said, but if the anime didn't confirm any of that, then it's just speculation. The anime should have explained this clearly so that the character would not be misunderstood, but it failed in this respect and it is probably because of this that this heated discussion started in the first place.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 16, 2020 7:22 PM

Jan 2014
I agree wholeheartedly that Elaina is a terrible person. The real question is if the narrative acknowledges this or not. Do you think the narrative frames Elaina as a good or bad person?

Personally I am dropping the show. I can't watch something with a protagonist this shitty.
cureemOct 16, 2020 7:28 PM
Oct 16, 2020 7:32 PM

Jan 2014
Zarator said:

Pretty much this (minus the self masturbation stuff in third paragraph cuz im not a philosophy graduate but just a normal human)...

As Zar-Sama and many others before mentioned, what would you think happen if she saved her or even before that how would the process even go... She blast some people in the village and possibly kill them, then try to ran away while protecting someone to god knows where possibly get chased by authorities because she potentially committed a crime according to that world's laws. She can't return to her home because that would danger her parents, she puts herself in extreme danger and possibly the person she saved because if she gets caught it will put both of them in an even worse position...

So yeah you want a young girl who promised her parents she would never play the hero and put herself in danger and make sure she returns home in one piece to suddenly become a murderer and an outlaw... MAL threads never fail to amaze me...

LoneWizzyOct 16, 2020 7:39 PM
Oct 16, 2020 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
Ryoketsu said:
kazuma-sama said:
She understand that she will encounter many people in terrible fate, but she also understands that she can't save them all, neighter is her job to save them all.

Well, these points that you raise in defense of the character are not necessarily based on something that the anime says or shows. At no time is Elaina shown rationalizing this issue and deciding not to interfere because she is just an observer or because of any possible consequences of such interference. The anime does not even previously establish that Elaina would embark on such a journey with this mentality of someone who watches without interfering (even though it had two episodes before this one to do so), nor does it establish that non-interference is the best option for her, because of this or that. The anime is lacking this explanation and people are filling this gap with their own opinions/interpretations/deductions as if the anime has given enough evidence to confirm those opinions/interpretations/deductions. It hasn't.

The reasons for her not to interfere may be exactly the ones you said, but if the anime didn't confirm any of that, then it's just speculation. The anime should have explained this clearly so that the character would not be misunderstood, but it failed in this respect and it is probably because of this that this heated discussion started in the first place.

An anime doesn't need to hold people's hand all the time. (Most / many) people can read into the subtext of facial expressions and reactions and there you can see that she's actually moved by what she has seen there, but can't do anything about it, because of beforementioned reasons.
Oct 16, 2020 8:24 PM
Jan 2012
UncleJojo said:

“”Well, listen up.” My mother folded her ring finger. “First, when it seems like you might be heading into a dangerous situation, that your run away as soon as possible. Don’t go poking your nose where it doesn’t belong. Otherwise, you would be dead.” “Got it.” That was just common sense. I’d do that even if you didn’t make me promise. I’m not ready to die, you know.”

It’s also pretty much self explanatory if you paid attention to episode 1 of this series too.

I know that.
But I wonder if later in the series there would be a situation that would made her say something like "I'm sorry, Mother. I can't keep my promise to you."

But then, I was a victim of one. When once I tried to help, it made the situation worse. So right now I'd try to stay away from trouble.
splitshockerOct 16, 2020 8:27 PM
Oct 16, 2020 8:28 PM

Sep 2020
Okay, maybe you'll crucify me for this, but let me say something: perhaps it was the best thing she did, because there was nothing she could do. The boy were already helping her, and maybe, for her, it was enough. Also, there was the chief. If he ever knew that the girl was trying to live happily by avoiding her duties, she'd be dead. So the boy. So Elaina herself.

Maybe.

For now, let's focus on the message: when somebody is sad and at the end of the line, don't tell them "hey, other people are happy! See? You can be happy too!", show them a reason to smile by themselves.

Then, the fault is on the boy too.
He could take her for a walk or having a nice and peaceful conversation. Anything that could say "hey, I'm here".

sorry for bad english tho
niko_sbOct 16, 2020 8:36 PM
Oct 16, 2020 8:40 PM

Nov 2019
Imo the more flawed and immoral a character can be, the more their development can hit you. I like how this show was set up, how Elaina is doing the things her mother told her not to be. I also like the direction its taking, I'm expecting great development from Elaina as her journey continues.

Oct 16, 2020 8:42 PM
Jun 2019
I like her she is like shinji ikari in a woman person. She isn't a superhero or a saviour she just wants an adventure and stay out of trouble like her parents said. I think this show is not about the mc try to fix the problem around the world, I think it just shows the problem around the world and what the tell what the mc perspective of it
Oct 16, 2020 8:59 PM

Feb 2010
Zeryphalix said:
Imo the more flawed and immoral a character can be, the more their development can hit you. I like how this show was set up, how Elaina is doing the things her mother told her not to be. I also like the direction its taking, I'm expecting great development from Elaina as her journey continues.

but she doesn't develop which is kind of the problem....

AccessDenied3011 said:
I like her she is like shinji ikari in a woman person.

so your saying shes poorly designed and poorly writen? because that's Shinji ikari.

GrimAtramentOct 16, 2020 9:02 PM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 16, 2020 9:04 PM

Jul 2011
apbooyah said:
still prefer her to the characters that try too hard to be heroes but in the end it blows up in their face

Yeah its different, its messed up but like the dark tone of the story.
Oct 16, 2020 9:07 PM
Jul 2019
splitshocker said:
UncleJojo said:

I know that.
But I wonder if later in the series there would be a situation that would made her say something like "I'm sorry, Mother. I can't keep my promise to you."

But then, I was a victim of one. When once I tried to help, it made the situation worse. So right now I'd try to stay away from trouble.
That could happen. Only the first two volumes of the LN were licensed and translated in English so far, and volume three comes out in English this November. Plus the series has been going on for 16 volumes so it’s only up to our imaginations on what’s gonna happen next
Oct 16, 2020 9:10 PM

Nov 2019
hazarddex said:
Zeryphalix said:

AccessDenied3011 said:
I like her she is like shinji ikari in a woman person.

so your saying shes poorly designed and poorly writen? because that's Shinji ikari.

Can I assume that you have read the novels then?

Oct 16, 2020 9:18 PM

Mar 2016
UncleJojo said:
splitshocker said:

I know that.

That could happen. Only the first two volumes of the LN were licensed and translated in English so far, and volume three comes out in English this November. Plus the series has been going on for 16 volumes so it’s only up to our imaginations on what’s gonna happen next

I hope we get translations for all 16 volumes at some point. Only first 3 volumes are fully translated so far and my patience can wear thin easily like my patience with the idiocy of where this thread was heading to.
Oct 16, 2020 9:22 PM

Feb 2010
Zeryphalix said:
hazarddex said:

Can I assume that you have read the novels then?

yes i have up to a point, but i eventually got board of it it was recommended me a while back because people claimed it was like kino no tabi.
(no, no it's not.)

Oct 16, 2020 9:42 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread locked for not adhering to Anime Discussion Rules 2.d(ranting/blog).

Rant/blog style threads do not create meaningful discussion, rather, it just creates a back and forth argument between users who agree or disagree with the op. In turn, this can create further violations within posts.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.