Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2020 5:40 PM

Oct 2017
It baffles me, why are people scared of flying? It's the safest mean of transportation in the world, you have better chances of dying on your way out to the airport.

I know that some nervous flyers feel irrational anxiety that their plane will malfunction and crash, no matter how many times you tell them the statistics about how safe is to fly.

I'm wondering if some of the MAL peeps fly regularly and if they are scared of flying.

''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2020 6:08 PM

Jan 2020
Is it only rational to be scared of flying if you're also scared of motor vehicles?
Sep 24, 2020 6:13 PM

Mar 2008
No not at all but I still feel nervous flying because it's a rare occurence for me so I am not that used to it.
Sep 24, 2020 6:15 PM

Dec 2019
I travel a decent amount but the main reason why I personally hate flying is that I get motion sickness and your eardrums feel like bursting.
Sep 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Oct 2017
Indochina said:
Is it only rational to be scared of flying if you're also scared of motor vehicles?
I mean if motor vehicles are clearly more dangerous. yes! It's irrational being scared of flying but being perfectly fine driving to the airport, sure thing I know people are usually more scared when their lives depend on someone else. Anyway, pilots are usually well fit for the job.
Sep 24, 2020 7:18 PM

Sep 2019
I don't think it has to do with how safe planes are, my BFF has a fear of heights for example. Dude will never approach a mountainside overlooking a valley no matter how safe it is.

That said, I'm not sure if I'm afraid or not. I'm nervous whenever I have to fly(probably because its rare), but I forget it before long because the view always amazes me.
Sep 24, 2020 7:34 PM

Aug 2018
I've travelled by plane a few times and it's usually fine. But I'm more afraid of ear pain during flights.
Sep 24, 2020 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
I'm a little bit drunk this time but

People who are afraid of flying probably either 1) died from a plane crash in a past life or 2) died from falling from a tall height like a cliff in a past life (more likely since planes have existed for such a short time)

I'm not remotely afraid of flying, partly because it's fun, liftoff is my favorite part, and I just love flying in the air, I love roller coasters, I'd probably like to go skydiving at some point, flying is so fun

Also because I'm not too afraid of death anyway
removed-userSep 25, 2020 1:51 PM
Sep 24, 2020 8:26 PM

Apr 2018
I think I am afraid of heights and I usually think I will fall.
But strangely, when I took my first flight I wasn't scared as much.
I am still a bit anxious though because I have experienced it only two times so far.
Sep 24, 2020 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, my last experience was terrible as fuck, the turbulence was so bad, so fuck that, I just drive to everywhere where I need to go.
Sep 24, 2020 9:23 PM

Jun 2020
I've been on a plane quite a few times but it's just the thought that if anything happens, I'm absolutely fucked.
Sep 24, 2020 9:26 PM

Oct 2017
BallistikJuice said:
Yes, my last experience was terrible as fuck, the turbulence was so bad, so fuck that, I just drive to everywhere where I need to go.
Turbulence alone can't cause a plane accident, I understand the inconvenience though especially if you eat something before a flight.

SargonTheGreat said:
I like flying but I hate actually sitting on the plane for so many hours unless I fly business class and get onboard wifi in which case I like it.
Yeah, Ultra long haul flights are a pain in the ass if you're flying economy. Add that with a crying baby and you have the recipe to disaster.
Sep 24, 2020 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
I've only flown once when I was like 10 and it was fine. I don't like flying because it limits how much shopping can be done but the act of flying was no big deal from what I remember. Granted I had spent most of the flight playing my gameboy.
Sep 24, 2020 9:40 PM

Oct 2017
SargonTheGreat said:
Fate_Saber88 said:
Turbulence alone can't cause a plane accident, I understand the inconvenience though especially if you eat something before a flight.

Yeah, Ultra long haul flights are a pain in the ass if you're flying economy. Add that with a crying baby and you have the recipe to disaster.
Oh boy I hate crying babies im very thankful for business class, onboard wifi and noise cancelling headphones.
I've flown business perhaps two times, I normally save my money to other aspects of any trip, this includes flying economy. I almost reconsidered my decision though, after I flew Air France from Paris to Réunion Island having to endure 12h of a crying baby, thankfully I had headphones to pop some Rock music otherwise I would lose it.
Sep 24, 2020 10:20 PM

May 2013
Short answer no but I definitely feel you if you are.

I mean, have you even seen the film Castaway?? Wow hahah.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 25, 2020 12:32 AM

Jan 2020
I've flown a few times and had a good experience so far, I find it quite relaxing as long as it's not a long flight and the view is great. Regarding people who are afraid of flying, I guess it's a mix of fear of heights, mild claustrophobia, motion sickness and some anxiety issues. It does fell a bit weird during lift-off though.
Sep 25, 2020 12:39 AM

Aug 2018
I'm fine with flying, the only bad part is the ear popping and the fact that my bag gets searched almost every time I am at the airport
_______I like rocks__
Sep 25, 2020 1:09 AM
May 2019
No I don't have a problem with flying.
Sep 25, 2020 4:41 AM

Sep 2017
Nope, i think it's a nice sensation (especially during the takeoff, since you don't really feel anything during the flight except when there are turbulences)

However I won't say I like being in a plane, just because it's friggin too small (I'm not really tall, just average, but my legs were like freaking bretzels since there were no place)
Sep 25, 2020 5:00 AM

Aug 2019
Hell yeah.
I still do it, but internally, I'm screaming. I know it's rather safe, but I feel (!) like it's jumping off a cliff to another cliff.
私だけが自分の夢を見ているのだ
Sep 25, 2020 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, a plane accident is deadlier than a car accident. I don't like playing the odds if possible.
Sep 25, 2020 6:08 AM

Jul 2016
Never actually flown before, but I don't think it would bother me.

Although now I've jinxed myself, so I'll guess I'll found out later.
Sep 25, 2020 7:44 AM

Nov 2017
Nope, I love flying/traveling by air. I actually want to learn how to fly a plane, hopefully I do in the future
Sep 25, 2020 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
Many phobias are irrational so the fear of flying can't be reasoned away. Not in my sister's case, nor in my sister-in-law's. I find flying quite relaxing but annoying if I do it too frequently.
Sep 25, 2020 7:58 AM

Mar 2020
Before I actually get into a flight. 5 minutes into the flight I wonder why the fuck I was so scared. And then several weeks later I'm scared of flying again.
汝臣民ノ信仰心ニヨリ、生キ返リマシタ。明治天皇デアリマス。
Sep 25, 2020 7:59 AM

Jun 2016
No. I've been flying since I was a kid. My grandma is the only person I know who's scared of flying.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 25, 2020 10:55 AM

Aug 2018
No, I am not scared of flying. Actually its fun!

Sep 25, 2020 8:07 PM
Jul 2020
I've never flown on an air craft and probably never will. That shit scares the fuck out of me.
Sep 25, 2020 10:23 PM

Oct 2017
Zlyiond said:
I've never flown on an air craft and probably never will. That shit scares the fuck out of me.
Why man? What makes you scared? Altitude?
Sep 25, 2020 11:17 PM

Jun 2008
I typically fly 4-5 times a year on my vacation weeks...

And I always enjoy it to some certain extense.

And my trips are NOT small 2-3 hour ones...

I live in the U.S and travel often to Europe or Asia which means 10+ HOURS!

Actually, last year, I finally got to travel on a legit "Business Class" seat where I got to sleep lying down for a portion of my 13 hour trip to Japan.

You poor people can only DREAM of such luxuries!

Haha, j/k, I'm a poor motherfucker myself, I just got lucky with Award miles.

Anyways....yeah, it's always an adventure, I always have a story to tell, and I it's always exciting!

I miss it VERY much.

Sep 25, 2020 11:21 PM

Jan 2009
i only got into an airplane once in my life (so far) and that is when i was looking for a job in UAE via visiting visa and lol i was scared of turbulence and my ears feels stuffed inside
Sep 25, 2020 11:38 PM

Jun 2008
deg said:
i only got into an airplane once in my life (so far) and that is when i was looking for a job in UAE via visiting visa and lol i was scared of turbulence and my ears feels stuffed inside

There comes a point where you get very used to it.

One time the turbulence was ROUGH and a few people yelled out a bit because the shaking was pretty significant.

I remember just being annoyed that my movie was being interrupted by the "fasten your seatbelt" ding that chimes in on the monitor.

The ear thing too...I would always recommend having ear buds on...comfortable ones.

Sep 26, 2020 2:01 AM
Dec 2019
yeah ngl I'm scared of flying, but that doesn't mean I don't and wouldn't travel. I just have this fear of something screwing up in the aircraft and then the whole thing falling and crashing into the water idk. I guess I'm just scared of death, and flying is one (somewhat common) way that can happen

I remember when two years ago my family travelled overseas, for 8 hours straight (duration of the first flight) I was deadass praying for my life every literal second no cap. every time the plane kinda dipped in the air or there was turbulence, I was like this is it I'm dying lord forgive me. I didn't touch my food and I watched no movies because I was just frozen in my seat from fear the whole time. lmao so dramatic but can't help it \o/
Sep 26, 2020 5:39 AM
Jul 2020
Fate_Saber88 said:
Zlyiond said:
Why man? What makes you scared? Altitude?

Yep. I have many phobias for some reason.
Sep 26, 2020 5:46 AM

May 2020
nah all good except fucking motion sickness
Sep 26, 2020 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
I know it's safe but i'm scared of heights. Plus the missing airplanes scare me so much.
Sep 26, 2020 10:31 AM

Oct 2017
deg said:
oysterscallop said:
yeah ngl I'm scared of flying, but that doesn't mean I don't and wouldn't travel. I just have this fear of something screwing up in the aircraft and then the whole thing falling and crashing into the water idk. I guess I'm just scared of death, and flying is one (somewhat common) way that can happen

I remember when two years ago my family travelled overseas, for 8 hours straight (duration of the first flight) I was deadass praying for my life every literal second no cap. every time the plane kinda dipped in the air or there was turbulence, I was like this is it I'm dying lord forgive me. I didn't touch my food and I watched no movies because I was just frozen in my seat from fear the whole time. lmao so dramatic but can't help it \o/
Turbulence is a common occurrence, you don't expect to board a boat and not bounce. Turbulence is part of the flight as much as ripples are part of sea navigation.

There are several types of turbulence but the most common ones are detectable weather turbulence and undetectable clear sky turbulence.

The detectable turbulence is the one you can detect by radar, which is a type of turbulence where the aircraft is passing next to a storm.
The radar emits a beam of radio waves that go forward, and if it finds droplets of water or ice, the radar wave reflects back to the aircraft's radar antenna.
This will show in red on the Navigation Display.

Of course, the pilot is going to avoid the red areas as much as possible for the sake of pax comfort since he is not dumb, but even if the pilot avoids these areas the aircraft is going to bounce a little since there are other factors associated with a storm.

Now the clear sky turbulence is undetectable for the first aircraft flying into it. The first thing the pilot is gonna do is communicate ATC that the position he is flying has turbulence either moderate or severe, then ATC readback the information to other aircraft flying the same path.
Then the pilot is going to turn on the fasten seat belts sign for the sake of your safety since the last thing the pilot wants is a passenger getting injured in his aircraft, the pilot knows nothing is gonna happen with the aircraft structure.

All you have to do is fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride, bouncing is much funnier. Actually, I always keep my seat belt fastened because I know the aircraft I'm boarded might be the first to go through clear sky turbulence.

An aircraft is never going to invert due to turbulence, fall in a spiral, fall from the sky, etc. Even if it is hit by the most powerful wind gust ever recorded on earth. (windshear is a different problem that usually happens during the final approach and is in fact deadly but predictable the aircraft informs the pilot to go around).

You guys should think about how the pilots react to turbulence in order to calm down next time.

F/O (PM) Joe: Hey Cap, someone reported turbulence right ahead.
Cpt (PF) Hanks: Ok I'll reduce speed a little.
F/O (PM) Joe: Shit it's gonna spill my orange juice all over the place... (Calls flight attendant). Hey, can you bring me a napkin?

Resuming. Turbulence can't take down an aircraft. Yeah, it's really uncomfortable to pax and the flight crew too, also you can get severely hurt during severe turbulence, but as far as you have your ass seated with the seat belt on there is nothing to fear.

Sep 26, 2020 12:16 PM

Oct 2017
The only reasons I don't like flying is due to turbulence, ear-popping, and difficulty sleeping. Heights aren't a good thing for me either.
Sep 26, 2020 12:25 PM

Sep 2017
I used plains only twice.
Yeah it's great and all but using car is just cheaper
خ
Sep 26, 2020 6:26 PM

Oct 2017
Fatephile said:
using car is just cheaper
It's debatable. It depends on how far in advance you reserve your seat, at least in the U.S and most European countries. You might spend more on gas, overnight stays, and food than take a flight from NYC to LA or even closer such as Dallas to Denver.

I like driving though.
Sep 26, 2020 6:38 PM

Dec 2015
When I was a kid I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.
Now as an adult I hate flying. It's basically sitting in a metal tube and having your life threatened for several hours.
The only way I can get through it is by taking my mind off things by reading a book.
I would honestly feel safer bungee jumping then being a passenger on a plane.

Edit: I'm not scared of heights, and have jumped over big gaps so high that I would have died if I didn't make it and I wasn't scared at all.
But I still don't like flying
Bobby2HandsSep 26, 2020 6:45 PM
Sep 26, 2020 6:46 PM
Jul 2018
I'm probably more scared of reclaiming my armrest from the person sitting next to me than of the flight itself.
Sep 27, 2020 12:35 AM
Dec 2019
Fate_Saber88 said:
deg said:
oysterscallop said:

Turbulence is a common occurrence, you don't expect to board a boat and not bounce. Turbulence is part of the flight as much as ripples are part of sea navigation.

There are several types of turbulence but the most common ones are detectable weather turbulence and undetectable clear sky turbulence.

The detectable turbulence is the one you can detect by radar, which is a type of turbulence where the aircraft is passing next to a storm.
The radar emits a beam of radio waves that go forward, and if it finds droplets of water or ice, the radar wave reflects back to the aircraft's radar antenna.
This will show in red on the Navigation Display.

Of course, the pilot is going to avoid the red areas as much as possible for the sake of pax comfort since he is not dumb, but even if the pilot avoids these areas the aircraft is going to bounce a little since there are other factors associated with a storm.

Now the clear sky turbulence is undetectable for the first aircraft flying into it. The first thing the pilot is gonna do is communicate ATC that the position he is flying has turbulence either moderate or severe, then ATC readback the information to other aircraft flying the same path.
Then the pilot is going to turn on the fasten seat belts sign for the sake of your safety since the last thing the pilot wants is a passenger getting injured in his aircraft, the pilot knows nothing is gonna happen with the aircraft structure.

All you have to do is fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride, bouncing is much funnier. Actually, I always keep my seat belt fastened because I know the aircraft I'm boarded might be the first to go through clear sky turbulence.

An aircraft is never going to invert due to turbulence, fall in a spiral, fall from the sky, etc. Even if it is hit by the most powerful wind gust ever recorded on earth. (windshear is a different problem that usually happens during the final approach and is in fact deadly but predictable the aircraft informs the pilot to go around).

You guys should think about how the pilots react to turbulence in order to calm down next time.

F/O (PM) Joe: Hey Cap, someone reported turbulence right ahead.
Cpt (PF) Hanks: Ok I'll reduce speed a little.
F/O (PM) Joe: Shit it's gonna spill my orange juice all over the place... (Calls flight attendant). Hey, can you bring me a napkin?

Resuming. Turbulence can't take down an aircraft. Yeah, it's really uncomfortable to pax and the flight crew too, also you can get severely hurt during severe turbulence, but as far as you have your ass seated with the seat belt on there is nothing to fear.

thank you very much, this is quite informative and reassuring!! I should probably do research on things next time so I don't unnecessarily freak myself out
Sep 27, 2020 12:48 AM

Aug 2014
The first flight I remember being on I was probably five or six? I remember being really anxious then because I thought of (and still do to some extent) everything in final destination terms. Since then I've flown a few dozen times for anywhere from an hour to fifteen. Typically the longer the flight the easier it is to get through it because you can either sleep or get into an activity to busy yourself. Short flights suck the most because they're always the least comfortable seats. I've actually been considering getting some pilot classes so I can get my license for personal flights in my spare time.
Sep 27, 2020 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
Take off and landing are the only worrying parts. While in the air the planes keep a nice separation distance so its pretty safe.

Sep 27, 2020 10:18 AM

May 2018
I don't fly often but I've never really been afraid of flying, mostly because the chance of an accident is very small.
Sep 28, 2020 3:39 AM

Jun 2007
Not at all. My brother is a professional airline pilot at a major airline and he's flown since he was 16 (with instructor of course) and I've even flown with him when he did his first time decades ago and many times since then. Big planes are SUPER not scary, if you're gonna be afraid to fly only be afraid of the tiny planes - and really only those because how much more scared you'll be if you are already afraid of that stuff as they constantly feel and sound like they'll just fucking fall apart any second even if they're new or well maintained. They WON'T but they sound and feel like it nonstop.

Really, I just know too much about flying at this point to be scared by it, though at the same time I know how much dumb shit pilots do having grown up around nearly nothing but pilots who fly for all the big airlines as friends and seeing them be idiots through college and knowing the stuff they still do...which should be worrying, but even so they're all super competent at their jobs.

That's a lie a little - I'm not scared of flying but it makes me INTENSELY motion sick in smaller prop planes (I'm fine on jets for the most part though), so I suppose that counts as afraid to fly? Because it fucks me up bad.
Sep 28, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2018
Not really, the odds of aviation accident are just so low
Sep 29, 2020 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
Never have been but, kinda am now that I've gotten older.
Sep 29, 2020 7:27 AM
Jun 2020
Yes, very much so.

I flew a couple of times but man, it's fucking terrifying.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

29 by traed »»
16 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 10 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 hours ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
2 hours ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.