Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Sep 2, 2020 3:46 PM

Mar 2010
Hmmm all those witches have interesting personalities I really liked the gluttony girl with the eating speech. Man I know the feels of always wanting to eat, I can almost kill someone if I don't eat.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 2, 2020 3:55 PM

Mar 2016
QcDiablo said:
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:
Thanks for clearing up the whole sanctuary thing. However I've some final questions.
1) Does a person need to go through the trial every time to come and go from the sanctuary or is it just a one time thing?
2)Why is Roswaal extremely injured trying to get through the barrier?
3)Currently, who all can attempt the trials and free up the barrier for the villagers to leave?
4)What was the exact purpose of the crystal Fredrica gave to Subaru?
5)If I'm not mistaken, then there is only one main entrance to the Sanctuary and the trials chamber is on the other side of the village?

1) If one person finishes the trials, the whole Sanctuary is free.
2) Roswaal tried the trials without the qualifications.
3) Apparently, any half-human... and Subaru.
4) Explanation should come later.
5) Apparently, not that it would matter much.
Cool. Thanks alot✌
Sep 2, 2020 3:59 PM
Jun 2020
fullofregrets09 said:
Wow, I was expecting a chill episode after such an action-packed one, but we got so many reveals, it was just as exciting and thrilling.

Alright, first big reveal, I guess there really isn't a limit on how many times he can RBD. Which makes sense, can't have the protagonist really dying on us,
so if we know that he has to get past something in a limited amount of attempts, it takes away from the suspense. This way, we will never know how many times Subaru will die to save everyone. Now Subaru can confidently say that he will die as many times as he needs to to save the people he loves (from the OP). The mystery served its purpose for making Subaru wary of dying too many times. This is all assuming Echidna was right. I believe she was.

Delusion? Does that mean that Satella has to continue to be delusional in her infatuation with Subaru so that she will keep on bringing him back?

Dang, hardcore Rem fans are going to be triggered, Rem really is a blip in this whole story, heck, nobody else is part of Subaru's destiny but him alone, but Rem is even less so because she was the first to go.

Echidona is so insecure, I love it.

Wow, so it's one of the three Great Mabeasts made by Daphne herself. I wonder what the ulgarm and the mansion beasts are then. Were they made by the Archbishop of Gluttony? I can't see Ley doing something like that. Maybe those were made by Daphne too, but they weren't important enough to be called Great Mabeasts. White Whale is dead, Great Rabbits are in Sanctuary, we still haven't seen the Black Snake yet, though I think I saw a glimpse of what looks to be one in the OP if I'm not mistaken.

Dang, so I guess the bunnies ate everyone. I thought that wasn't the case because there weren't any blood stains. Subaru about to throw up knowing everyone had to go through what he did. I wonder why the bunnies just randomly showed up? There must've been a catalyst.

Looks like I was right in thinking that they had some sort of duplication power like the White Whale kind of had.

Kill every last one at the same time? Can't Puck just flash freeze them all? Or are they impervious to snow/ice attacks? Well, Puck is AWOL anyways.

Looks like barrier is becoming top priority now. But what keeps the bunnies from going outside the barrier too? Are they bound to the area because Daphne is?
But if that were the case, then the White Whale shouldn't have been able to leave either. Are they bound by the barrier? Are they somehow considered half-blood?
Maybe they were drawn to the mana stored in the Witch's Graveyard. I mean, there are 6 Witch Souls there. I'm still worried that by breaking the barrier, they
will be letting out great evil. But they have no choice.

Wow, so looks like we are going to meet another Witch. I was thinking he would have to find other Witch Graveyards to talk to them, but looks like they're all here!

Oh, so that was Typhon. I was thinking that was Daphne. I kept on telling Subaru not to look at her or touch her! I thought her arm scrunchies were her restraints. She
reminds me of Mimi. I guess all the Witches are going to be lolis or waifus.

Subaru fell to pieces. Well, I guess he's an invalid now. Can he reset if he becomes brain dead?

Wow, Minerva, didn't think the Witch of Wrath would be so kind, even though it seemed like she was a walking paradox, always contradicting herself. She's cute. Are we going to be cycling through all the Witches? Hype! I wonder how they were able to get through instead of Daphne.

Looks like they're all going to have cute nicknames for Subaru and Echindona. I'm here for it.

Well, did not expect Daphne to have an iron maiden. That's a lot of restraints for a soul without a body. I guess eye contact would be impossible with those
blindfolds on. Does she have some sort of Medusa power?

Wow, so I guess there's one person who likes the Witch's miasma.

She is creepy. Those teeth give me Gluttony from FMA vibes.

They are drawn to mana. Does that mean that they were attracted to the Witch's miasma, just like Daphne is, is that Satella's mana? Is that why Puck disappeared, because he knew that the bunnies would be attracted to a huge mana source like himself?

Wow, I'm so glad Echidna stepped in there. I'm so glad to see her, we just got three new faces and I'm exhausted. I thought Daphne was going to break free right then and there.

Ah, so he doesn't have unlimited time with Echidna, his body is still being affected on the outside, time hasn't stopped.

Uh oh, before Subaru couldn't care less about Echidna and her knowledge and was more concerned about Emilia. Now, he knows that Emilia is going to be in a panic in a few moments, but still chooses to stay with Echidna and even wants to go back seeking her knowledge, just like it always is with Echidna apparently.
I can't shake the feeling he's been baited into a trap.

So that's the qualification. I don't know what feeling would be stronger than wanting to know why you were just eaten alive by bunnies. So it looks like he'll have to beat the trial.

Funny how he's saying now that he was always going to be taking the trials when before he was adamant about Emilia taking them and told Echidna to expect Emilia.

I wonder who makes up all the rules of the trials and administering them. It doesn't seem like Echidna is fully in charge.

The handkerchief? Wow, if he didn't have that, he wouldn't have been able to pay her. Thanks Petra! I guess she took the memories and feelings that the handkerchief
represented.

I can't wait to see what Echidna wanted to tell him.

Oh my God, he can remember everything now!

Where's Emilia? Oh no, looks like he was abandoned.

That must be the witch's miasma, wow, did he die too many times? I missed Satella's creepy OSTs.

OMG IT'S SATELLA! WE FINALLY SEE HER AFTER ALL THIS TIME! GREATEST REVEAL!

Guess that explains the title. Why does she love him so much?

Garf! He's coming to the rescue! Hopefully everyone else is safe. Please don't tell me Satella has taken over Emilia's body or something.

OMG she's turned into a Giant Hollow.

Bite off that thing's head? Did he only say that because he's a beast with sharp teeth, or is that the Black Snake that transforms? Because when I think of
killing a snake, I think of crushing the head. Besides, if that was really Satella, she wouldn't be able to leave the Sanctuary, because she's a half-elf, right?
Or maybe the rule doesn't apply to her, because she created the barrier. And why isn't Garf that surprised to see her? Does he see something different.
He also seems like he doesn't fear her as much as he should. Maybe Subaru was wrong and this is another Witch or being that loves him?

Looks like everything is drowning in miasma, maybe it wasn't the rabbits who ate everyone, maybe this miasma sucked everyone up. Roswall included.

I knew it! Roswall had the other copy of the Gospel. That's the connection between him and Beatrice, and how he knows so much about Subaru, his power, and future events. Was he talking to Satella in the last scene or Subaru? Is the miasma turning the world into Hell? What is Hell in this world? And why does he want to follow Subaru so far? This is turning into something of a love for him. Maybe after seeing his tenacity in the Gospel. And if he has the only other copy (assuming he's correct in saying there are only two copies), then he's become even more suspicious of being the one behind the mansion events. Either that, or its an Archbishop with a defective Gospel. Since Roswall gave his word, and knowing how much someone's word means in this world that even Echidna thinks its shameless to go back on it, I trust him. Or maybe he's just following what's in the book, and the real culprit is the one who wrote it.

Roswall basically implying that Subaru made a ton of mistakes, even though he just made it back. Was it because he died too many times? Or did he spend too much time with Echidna and the other Witches and he wasn't responding to her call, so she got too envious? Will a simple reset fix this? This loop is waayy too different from the first one.

Maybe Subaru can lure her back by telling Garf about RBD? Or by saying he loves her too? Why does she want to go to the mansion? Only Beatrice is there.

So many questions! Great episode!
There is not gonna be any chill in the next 4 episodes. Strap your seatbelt in because you are gonna be in another rollercoaster ride full of fun emotions and twists.
Sep 2, 2020 3:59 PM

Jun 2017
All the new witches are great.

I guess Satella did get pissed in the end about Subaru spelling the beans but she was most likely unable to interfere in the dream world so she is wrecking the real one now instead.

Rip this timeline too I guess.
Sep 2, 2020 4:04 PM
Jun 2020
R3inn said:
after ep4 of re zero s2, re zero might be anime of the year.
after ep8, re zero is anime of the year!
after ep9, this is masterpiece!
You are going to enjoy the next 4 episodes of ReZero, you have the word of a Light Novel Reader.
Sep 2, 2020 4:04 PM

Apr 2017
___Greed said:
I seriously don't get why some people hate this anime.
some people giving 1/5 rating to this amazing episode..like seriously?

I sit in a discord with people who hype this show up to no end, calling every fart that subaru makes "character development" and every exposition that doesn't move anything along "plot". So to be honest, I actually understand why people might hate this show -- I myself am actually put off the more episodes I watch, though I wouldn't say I hate the show or the episodes. (I've seen way worse writing, way worse premises, and way worse shows)

To better explain it to someone who loves this show, I guess it could be said that those who criticize the show feel their (often valid) criticism gets ignored by (sheer) fanboyism.

Here's an example:

critic: "the problem with this show is, the main character never learns the most important lesson with each of his deaths -- he never trains to become physically stronger to better handle threats and he's basically repeatedly dying until he bruteforces the outcome that is least undesireable. It's like watching someone play Fate Stay Night, the visual novel and if you know something is the wrong choice to pick, you just pick the next one the next time you load the save file. Thus, pretty much any inserted character in his place with return by death can move the plot along and accomplish the same thing he's done. The show's not terrible, but you can't write an epic if your main character is a self insert pleb."

fanboy: "but you're wrong! He's awesome and it's all because of him that the plot moves at all! And he's relatable! Also, the premise is one of a kind and the side characters are soooo coool! Like, I love Emilia, and Echidna! How can you hate on this show??"

critic: (man, you just ignored everything I said...)
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Sep 2, 2020 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
Damn... This episode was crazy. I hope there's no big twist on Echidna, and she stays on the good side, she's literally perfection! Also wow, finally. The witch of envy. At a guess I'm assuming it's Emilia possessed. And with how the ending was set up makes me think she's going to try and kill the little girl maid, to break Echidna's contract with Subaru.
Sep 2, 2020 4:06 PM
Jun 2020
Shueisha said:
Not sure if the screenwriter itself really knows where the plot goes. First the series introduced the goal as saving Rem, then a trial for Emilia (started with only one test then three), then saving everyone at the mansion, then killer rabbits, now Satella... Gosh, there's only 4 episodes remaining, will this season be able to fall on its feets? Can it just stand with one goal for two episodes in a row? I'm dubious...

I was really excited for this season, especially with episode 05, but lastly, it seems to go nowhere and ends up to be pretty disappointing. Hope the following episodes will be more convincing.

(Witch of Wrath was pretty cool. A shame for the other witches character designs tho)
Mate you do realise that is part 1 of Season 2 right?
Sep 2, 2020 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
Araphaenon said:

You do know that the "season" is not just this 13-episode-long half, but that together with the second half, coming out to 25-26 (?) episodes in total, right? (The season was split due to pandemic-related production issues, based on what we know.)

Didn't know about that, thank you!
Sep 2, 2020 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:
Franz_Kuznetsov said:

These are very interesting questions, I'll try to give you my opinions/answers.
1) I really don't know the role of Elsa in all this mess, we have to wait for explanations.
2) Petelgeuse was the Sin Archbishop of Sloth, so is a follower of Sekhmet the Witch of Sloth (we haven't seen her yet.
It seems that Roswaal and Beatrice are followers of Echidna the Witch of Greed (for Wisdom).
3) Don't know, maybe because she sensed Subaru has met other witches so she's jealous or because she knows he messed up the timeline and decided to intervene.
4) She was left in that state because was attacked after the death of the Wale and for some reason the reset doesn't care about her safety (or of anyone elese) but only about Subaru as was explained in this episode.
5) About the Sanctuary: https://rezero.fandom.com/wiki/Sanctuary
About Frederica for now we don't know so much.
Thanks for clearing up the whole sanctuary thing. However I've some final questions.
1) Does a person need to go through the trial every time to come and go from the sanctuary or is it just a one time thing?
3)Currently, who all can attempt the trials and free up the barrier for the villagers to leave?
5)If I'm not mistaken, then there is only one main entrance to the Sanctuary and the trials chamber is on the other side of the village?

1) For what I understood the trial it's necessary to break off the barrier forever, because if you are a demi-human (like Emilia o Garfiel) you basically are trapped there, but if you are a human (like Subaru) you can leave the Sanctuary.
2) Because of the barrier or because Garfiel beat him up don't remember... ;P
3)Only some chosen individuals can take part in the trials.
4) I think its primary purpose is to locate the Sanctuary, because it's hidden, but apparently that gem has other properties, like teleport or something, has we saw in the previous episode.
5) don't remember mow sorry...
Sep 2, 2020 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
The handkerchief will come at a high price, won't it?
Sep 2, 2020 4:24 PM

Mar 2016
Franz_Kuznetsov said:
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:

1) For what I understood the trial it's necessary to break off the barrier forever, because if you are a demi-human (like Emilia o Garfiel) you basically are trapped there, but if you are a human (like Subaru) you can leave the Sanctuary.
4) I think its primary purpose is to locate the Sanctuary, because it's hidden, but apparently that gem has other properties, like teleport or something, has we saw in the previous episode.
Thanks alot✌ Also, how did Frederica escape the sanctuary in the first place?
Sep 2, 2020 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
Ok, two things:

- Roswaal remembers every RbD
- Emilia is witch of Envy

Subaru wasn't there in time to save Emilia so her desperation unlocked the chains and let Satella out (this is backed by the fact that her body was missing at ritual site and that there were no new voice actors listed for her while all three new witches - Typhoon, Minerva and Daphne - were there). And I'm pretty sure the last 'Aishteru' was voice of Takahashi Rie.

Also, he didn't ask the most important question - what actually SAVES his progress. Really, Subaru?
Sep 2, 2020 4:44 PM
Jul 2016
Sury said:
The handkerchief will come at a high price, won't it?

Well I think it already did XD! This is my Theory so!!
In the first season when Subaru tells emilia that he can RBD, Satella instead of crushing his heart crushes emilia meaning that she awares of the words thats subaru says and by crush her heart she can like somehow manipulate the world...

When he returns from Tea, the witch shows up and kills everyone why?? guess what ?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2020 4:45 PM
Feb 2014
Possible big info in episode?

Second season has no chill!
But damn we love it for it!!!

We could met 3 new witches, and especially second one was lovely. I also hoped Subaru would make himself thank Echidna and that she is.

About the theories we have been talking... one confirmed and one debunked.
How i was saying, Roswaal knows about Subaru, that was near to being obvious as much as it was possible.
A little disappoited with lack of connection of big rabbits? (don't know how you have it translated into english) to Elsa's co-worker (kinda more simple than i expected it to be... hope there will be more to it... but that's how you end when you overthink stuff), but in exchange witches so i think this round was worth it :P

Satella showed up.... wow... this was big. It's amazing how nearly every episode they could throw shocking shiet at you, no matter how much you think and analize, you just can't foresight~

SO
When i started to write this comment i thought this episode even when being amazing, shocking, marvelous (or insert any other adjective), didn't give us any real new content to support our theories, but after double checking, one thing possibly confirmed one big theory.
We know Elsa and her co-worker (possible Meabest 'summoner' from first season) got her info from her masters who could tell exact future... we also know (or if at least we can assume it's true) from Roswaal that there are 2 books of wisdom, 2... One had Beatrice, and second one has Roswaal (checked on episodes, same book). That would mean that theory with Elsa being sent by Roswaal is actually true!!!!!!!!
I was sure if Beatrice has book (well Roswaal could gave it to her for time of going to Santruary for safety reasons) probably all the changes that happens because of Subaru's RbDs, Beatrice because of being spirit thingy can remember, and just told everything to Roswaal and he figured out Subaru was the reason behind them.
Someone was telling me under last episode's thread that they were trying to kill him and everything. No, they actually weren't. Ram was asking about it Roswaal and he told her to only watch him and told Ram to tell her sister to not interfere (but it was next loop and she did attack him in a first one, not from blood lust, but to protect last thing she had left). The only thing i'm still not quite sure about, is why Roswaal sent Elsa to take Emilia's insignia... Could it be that he needed to find some pawn in this whole thing? someone who could be her knight controlled and supported from background to help Emilia? And fact that he could 'change time' was just pure luck that actually guy who he found was able to do it? Or maybe he knew someone like that will spawn? His famility protects and worships(?) Echidna. Could it be as main ruler of the family, he had a chance to meet her at the tea party at least once and hear something from her which made him think someone like this will spawn in this world? or just someone will ablity to fight his destiny? My bet is something like this will be what she want to tell him next time (or saddly something dark about herslef :( )

Also one thing goes into really not fun place. The Satella we saw was for sure Emilia. We know from one loop from Betelgeuse that they wanted to use Emilia as vessel for Satella. I hate Roswaal and i'd like to see him being punched, but still i more or less belive in the end he could be.... friendly? idk but i don't think it was what he wanted (at least for now) and Subaru will need his help with Big Rabbit (Plenty rabbit? Oousagi - apparently written by 大兎 but i thought it will be hiragana with both that and 多兎 meaning) as probably he has most mana there, especially after days of laying on his ass :P
The question is, what happend, what triggered Emilia that changed her. Could it be that her trial has something to do with being witch or just being called, bullied by looking like her? Could it be that because oafter his trial, not being there for her and not helping her wake up, she died from shock or something?
Like always lot of questions and not much info haha

Now the saddest part, we need to wait week once more to see more
Sep 2, 2020 4:47 PM
Mar 2020
This is what i and people have been waiting for, first apparences of other witchies especially Satella. I have been waiting for this for 4 years and it was worth it.
Sep 2, 2020 4:47 PM
Jul 2016
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:
Franz_Kuznetsov said:

Its on episode 7 or 8 I think!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2020 4:49 PM

Mar 2016
Killerb96 said:
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:

Killerb96 said:
SPIDEY_rockzzzzz said:

Cool. Thanks alot✌
Sep 2, 2020 4:50 PM

Feb 2017
kidlat020 said:
this 4th "run" if you could even call it that is just... wrong. I don't even know what's happening anymore. why so many changes this time around? what... what caused this huge divergence from the original timeline?

This is not a spoiler... satella appeared because subaru told echidna.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
Koito91Sep 12, 2020 7:05 AM
Sep 2, 2020 4:53 PM
Feb 2014
EDENisLD said:
I need a 10 hour version of Satella asmr. Best rezero girl.

Thought the same thing haha
Was watching it loudly on 7:1 headphones and it was just awesome
creppy but awesome haha
Sep 2, 2020 5:03 PM

Feb 2017
Kanedgy_ said:
AnonymousGuy9 said:
Emilia and Stella's VA is the same

I was wondering if that was the case, the little we saw of her face looks similar to her too, and we already knew she was also a silver haired half-elf.

HMMMMMMM....

SATELLA PROPABLY TOOK OVER EMILIA'S BODY
Remember what petelguese said in S1 (final arc)
Sep 2, 2020 5:04 PM
Aug 2020
YO THAT SCENE WITH THE WITCH OF GREED THO! Gave me chills!!
Sep 2, 2020 5:05 PM
Apr 2017
SongstressSL said:
___Greed said:

I sit in a discord with people who hype this show up to no end, calling every fart that subaru makes "character development" and every exposition that doesn't move anything along "plot". So to be honest, I actually understand why people might hate this show -- I myself am actually put off the more episodes I watch, though I wouldn't say I hate the show or the episodes. (I've seen way worse writing, way worse premises, and way worse shows)

To better explain it to someone who loves this show, I guess it could be said that those who criticize the show feel their (often valid) criticism gets ignored by (sheer) fanboyism.

Here's an example:

critic: "the problem with this show is, the main character never learns the most important lesson with each of his deaths -- he never trains to become physically stronger to better handle threats and he's basically repeatedly dying until he bruteforces the outcome that is least undesireable. It's like watching someone play Fate Stay Night, the visual novel and if you know something is the wrong choice to pick, you just pick the next one the next time you load the save file. Thus, pretty much any inserted character in his place with return by death can move the plot along and accomplish the same thing he's done. The show's not terrible, but you can't write an epic if your main character is a self insert pleb."

fanboy: "but you're wrong! He's awesome and it's all because of him that the plot moves at all! And he's relatable! Also, the premise is one of a kind and the side characters are soooo coool! Like, I love Emilia, and Echidna! How can you hate on this show??"

So... People judge a show by its fans and not the show itself, that makes them look worse than those fans.
Sep 2, 2020 5:06 PM

Apr 2019
Amazing episode to say the least. We got info on a lot of things and got to see the other witches, although I still prefer Echidna over the others. Pretty curious as to what she has to say to Subaru at the next tea party.

So Satella makes her appearance, also didn't realize that the episode was called "love love love love love love you" till she started saying that. And yoooo does Rosewal know about Subaru's Return by Death? Cause from what he said it sounded like he does.

This cliffhanger has got me very excited for the next episode, can't wait!
Sep 2, 2020 5:10 PM

Oct 2019
God damn. That was another banger episode. Loved seeing the other witches. Even more love to their abilities or philosophy.
Wonder wha echnida wants to say to Subaru
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 2, 2020 5:11 PM

Jul 2014
Mich666 said:
Also, he didn't ask the most important question - what actually SAVES his progress. Really, Subaru?
I think it was answered indirectly.

Sep 2, 2020 5:24 PM

Dec 2016
Sorry Satella ... But I think that Subaru loves Emilia
Sep 2, 2020 5:25 PM
Sep 2020
Disclaimer: I am an anime only viewer. Am I the only one who think Stella looked like Emilia. And also when roswaal talked about subaru making mistake, is that mistake is trusting echidna? Is echidna a bad witch. Many mysteries in this episode
Sep 2, 2020 5:34 PM

Nov 2011
God damn this episode was something. Daphne is quite the interesting character.

I'm falling in love with Echidna more and more each week. <3

Subaru was actually pretty cool on this episode not going to lie. I like his tenacity when it comes to talking to the witches and he has clear goals in mind.

Interesting episode.

Seems like Roswell knows about Subaru's Powers?
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 2, 2020 5:44 PM

Jan 2020
And when you think re:zero is already exciting, they deliver us this ep XD.
Can't wait for next week!
Sep 2, 2020 5:46 PM
Mar 2015
SongstressSL said:
___Greed said:

Here's an example:

critic: "the problem with this show is, the main character never learns the most important lesson with each of his deaths -- (A) he never trains to become physically stronger to better handle threats and he's basically repeatedly dying until he bruteforces the outcome that is least undesireable. It's like watching someone play Fate Stay Night, the visual novel and if you know something is the wrong choice to pick, you just pick the next one the next time you load the save file. (B) Thus, pretty much any inserted character in his place with return by death can move the plot along and accomplish the same thing he's done. The show's not terrible, but you can't write an epic if your main character is a self insert pleb."

Just in case the "critic" here is you, or the statement used as example is something you would agree with:

(A)
1. Subaru has been literally jumping from one crisis to the next. Not counting the resets with multiplicity, very little time has passed.
2. Being able to do 100 push-ups won't help Subaru much when up against people that are physiologically/magically leaps and bounds beyond anything he could possibly do. Wilhelm even comments something to that effect (Subaru: "Are you telling me to get stronger?", Wilhelm: "No. I am telling you to be strong."). His main tool is information gained by RbD, which he can make clever use of, for example by relying on it to move other people.
3. That said, he did try to train his body in what little downtime he had (with Wilhelm).
But that is not, and should not be a high priority objective.

(B)
1. You can even write a good story with only completely ordinary people in it. The genre is called "slice of life".
2. Nonetheless, Subaru does have a very special ability called RbD. Saying he is like an ordinary guy who has been given RbD is not really a valid criticism when he is supposed to be an ordinary guy who has been given RbD. That was the main idea to begin with. It's not "he's not anything special, he just has RbD", but instead "he is special because he has RbD". The story hinges on the core conceit of RbD, not on the protagonist being exceptional in any other way.
AraphaenonSep 2, 2020 5:50 PM
Sep 2, 2020 5:50 PM
Aug 2020
Maruseru93 said:
damn every of those witches is hot waifu material especially minerva and we finaly see satella at last her voice maybe we gonna see her face to next episode

From what you can see of her face to me it looks like she looks identical to Emilia. Guess we will see.
Sep 2, 2020 5:51 PM

Oct 2012
mozgow said:

Yes, but the question is if Satella knows what needs to be done to rescue her from the stone prison and if it's her who creates it or if it happens automatically when triggered based on her essence of power residing in his body.

Either way, she would need to have the power to read the future to determine if current situation is ok or not, even when some irrelevant characters are dead (btw - it was hinted Rem is irrelevant for his destiny but a) she's still not dead only forgotten and b) her saving may just be the challenge he need to overcome). Also, Echidna remembered her which makes me wonder how erasing of existences actually works.

Another question is what is the destiny and how it can be perceived. We were told it's intense delusion. But is it tied to Subaru alone, to Satella alone or to both? Somehow I wonder if Subaru's RL chuunibyou problems may be reason for it.

Also, the end goal - either it's for Subaru's sake to save him (or sort of journey to reject his deluded fantasie and accept normal life again), or for Satella's sake to free her. Now, Subaru has to be someone very close to her to give him such power and she should know him well. Who knows, maybe in the end, Satella/Emilia is the one who needs to be saved (and I wouldn't be really surprised if she turned into good guy in the end).
Sep 2, 2020 5:53 PM
Aug 2020
Emillian said:
Holy sh*t her appearance made me freak out so hard lol. For you headphone users I hope u got the best ASMR in your life haha. Also everyone make sure to watch even after the credits.

The sound bouncing all over the place in my ears watching on my phone and listening through headphones was amazing! Making the scene even more creepy than it would be otherwise. I cant wait to get home and watch it with my 5.1 system cranked up.
Sep 2, 2020 5:56 PM
Jul 2019
I'm still confused by what Roswall said at the end what did he mean?
Sep 2, 2020 5:58 PM
Feb 2014
fullofregrets09 said:
Wow, I was expecting a chill episode after such an action-packed one, but we got so many reveals, it was just as exciting and thrilling.

Alright, first big reveal, I guess there really isn't a limit on how many times he can RBD. Which makes sense, can't have the protagonist really dying on us,
so if we know that he has to get past something in a limited amount of attempts, it takes away from the suspense. This way, we will never know how many times Subaru will die to save everyone. Now Subaru can confidently say that he will die as many times as he needs to to save the people he loves (from the OP). The mystery served its purpose for making Subaru wary of dying too many times. This is all assuming Echidna was right. I believe she was.

Delusion? Does that mean that Satella has to continue to be delusional in her infatuation with Subaru so that she will keep on bringing him back?...

...I knew it! Roswall had the other copy of the Gospel. That's the connection between him and Beatrice, and how he knows so much about Subaru, his power, and future events. Was he talking to Satella in the last scene or Subaru? Is the miasma turning the world into Hell? What is Hell in this world? And why does he want to follow Subaru so far? This is turning into something of a love for him. Maybe after seeing his tenacity in the Gospel. And if he has the only other copy (assuming he's correct in saying there are only two copies), then he's become even more suspicious of being the one behind the mansion events. Either that, or its an Archbishop with a defective Gospel. Since Roswall gave his word, and knowing how much someone's word means in this world that even Echidna thinks its shameless to go back on it, I trust him. Or maybe he's just following what's in the book, and the real culprit is the one who wrote it.

Roswall basically implying that Subaru made a ton of mistakes, even though he just made it back. Was it because he died too many times? Or did he spend too much time with Echidna and the other Witches and he wasn't responding to her call, so she got too envious? Will a simple reset fix this? This loop is waayy too different from the first one.

Maybe Subaru can lure her back by telling Garf about RBD? Or by saying he loves her too? Why does she want to go to the mansion? Only Beatrice is there.

So many questions! Great episode!

(i watched only anime and im avoiding like fire all possible spoilers so all of these are just me overthinking stuff :P)

1.Yea, we have it on "paper" at least. The only thing i'm scared about is how i was talking last time, until now noone important to Subaru really "died".... And they were actually talking about it (and Re;Zero does everything on purpouse :V) so with all the problems he has now, Elsa, Frederica, Mabeast controller, Rabbits, Satella, Garfiel etc. someone might die who he won't be able to save. It seems until he 'won't accept' the reality, he will not have new checkpoint made but i wonder if he can really control it... and still it's really vulnerable to fake info, we he will think someone is fine and after checkpoint he will learn he/she is not... poor him :(
But how you said me got real meaning behind words from opening and his updated promise

2.Delusions... i think we still have not enough info to guess it. But my bet would be she just said it for heck of not being able to explain we he. But in reality it can be more or less it. Like No Game No Life movie story, 400 years ago she was possibly even good person, but some tragedy happend and her husband (or at last soon-to-be-husband as someone said she was wearing wedding dress) died/was killed and she got mad, and he was looking like Subaru we see now. That's why she has 'delusions' to protect him and live until he will be able to meet her. And Emilia is of course her "clone" 400 years later. We also know she can be a vessel for Satella as Betelgeus said it himself in one loop in first season.

3.They did ate them but that was kinda bad i have to say. It was obvious but still not even drop of blood? even on stone in church? they licked it off until very end? :V

4.White whale didn't have just some kinda of 'visual copy'? Anyway he was based on raw power, Rabbits can clone and are deadly so snakes would could... camouflage? or maybe even worse option, be able to look like someone? They all have some skills to deceive senses. Making them forget, rabbits look nice until they'll bite your hand off... and the question is when we will meet 'it'

FYI Pack is offline so i guess not :/ (and we still have no idea why)

5.I will say it how many times i need but we still have no clue about Santuary, about group who is against taking down the barrier and what will even happend when it will be taken down. (And why Roswaal was so desperate to do it (and got so hurt for it when he isn't most altruistic guy~)). But still i doubt Rabbits came from somewhere inside, i think they could be lured there by big power or somehow summoned.
Well they just connect souls or smth. I'm really not sure if all witches are actually there (or at least their souls). It seemed like it was only Echidna's sanctuary so it also could be like her last 'memory' of them or smth? idk
Medusa power? good one! could actually be with her way of thinking and how beasts work.

6. To be honest i thought 'truth' behind Rabbits was a little anti-climatic at least for now (compared to my theories :P) but still it was good trade that we could meet other witches and especially sweet Minevra! ^^

7.DUUUDE! That's a big one i didn't think of. It's probably IT! I wonder what Puck still doesn't tell us, but it can be it! He could sense some disturbance in the force so he just cut himself off for now. But at the sencond hand he could be really useful with them :/ And with Elsa, and with Garfiel... and everything :P

8.A trap? What do you mean? We all know especially after today's episode that she isn't telling us something, but is she really bad? (i hope not!). Maybe he was the one to steal 400 years back then previous Subaru to Satella and she is trying to do the same thing? like her greedness for knowledge makes her keep Subaru for herself?

9.handkerchief - i just hope when he will be back in the mansion next time (after possible checkpoint) we will learn that Echidna took these emotions so now Petra will be indifferent to him :(

10.Again, couldn't be it at he same time Satella and Emilia? 400years talk + there was time when Betelgues took Subaru's body so isn't possible because something possibly connected to witch happend on trial, she could even die from shock because Subaru didn't help her wake up and Satella took her place. But also we need to remember someone did try to wake up Subaru, it could be Emilia, but she had to go out and leave Subaru and she thought he was still in trial, and then darkness got her. If you remember she raised just from darkness in front of stairs so as well she could be caught there when trying to escape

11.Garfiel was kinda expected but still it was suprising. If he can feel scent on Subaru, and then shiet went down and he saw Satella with Subaru, i'm wondering if heling him was the first thing he thought to do~

12.My only theory about her lvoe to him is what i said earlier but:
"Or did he spend too much time with Echidna and the other Witches and he wasn't responding to her call, so she got too envious?
this might be actually true! Would make a lot of sense but why actually now? I still think it has some connection to Emilia but i wonder why actually now she woke up

Also i can not understand Subaru's thinking too. Even if he always is a little slow with thinking and asking really important questions (but how he said, he always wishes for something he wants now... :/) this was really wierd of him to think that, especially even we have no clue why she would like to go there.
[EDIT]ALSO rewatching it now and isn't she an half elf? I know it's Satella and everything but she shouldn't be able to leave, right?
Maybe Subaru was scared because if she is Emila (at least body) and she will try to leave, 'her soul will leave body'?[/EDIT]

I explained it in previous comment but if Roswaal has second book of wisdom, that would mean he was the one who sent Elsa to steal insignia and to kill people in mansion (probably to kill of poeple who are in the way of Subaru supporting Emilia, and first time because he was looking for a 'knight' for her)
But also if they would look the same, maybe one of them was holding just normal Gospel?

13.Even if Garfiel is strong, i doubt he has a chance with Satella :P
Probably the only way to reverse it is just next reset ¯_(ツ)_/¯

StarAloneSep 2, 2020 6:06 PM
Sep 2, 2020 6:01 PM

Aug 2018
Phenomenal episode again. What the hell is Roswell up to? The mystery continues to thicken. I liked the explanation of the Bunny.
Sep 2, 2020 6:13 PM

Nov 2016
I can't say anything more other than Echidna being best waifu of the year already. Damn seriously, such a good character.
Sep 2, 2020 6:14 PM
Feb 2014
Mich666 said:
mozgow said:

Yes, but the question is if Satella knows what needs to be done to rescue her from the stone prison and if it's her who creates it or if it happens automatically when triggered based on her essence of power residing in his body.

Either way, she would need to have the power to read the future to determine if current situation is ok or not, even when some irrelevant characters are dead (btw - it was hinted Rem is irrelevant for his destiny but a) she's still not dead only forgotten and b) her saving may just be the challenge he need to overcome). Also, Echidna remembered her which makes me wonder how erasing of existences actually works.

Another question is what is the destiny and how it can be perceived. We were told it's intense delusion. But is it tied to Subaru alone, to Satella alone or to both? Somehow I wonder if Subaru's RL chuunibyou problems may be reason for it.

Also, the end goal - either it's for Subaru's sake to save him (or sort of journey to reject his deluded fantasie and accept normal life again), or for Satella's sake to free her. Now, Subaru has to be someone very close to her to give him such power and she should know him well. Who knows, maybe in the end, Satella/Emilia is the one who needs to be saved (and I wouldn't be really surprised if she turned into good guy in the end).

Well Echidna has access to Subaru's memories so she could be able to talk about Rem just thanks to it. Above it, she didn't know her so she couldn't forget about her :P. Also we know some people like Subaru are immune to curses and best bet would be if someone has it, it must be the witches :P

We know only that Echidna called it delusion. I think there might be something bigger behind it.

It sounds kinda good, but i hope they won't go full "psychological problems" route and make all of it just in Subaru's head. Just being his chuunibyou or mousou (really nice word for it 妄想)
Sep 2, 2020 6:17 PM
Jul 2020
Echidna is definitely the best girl in the whole Re:zero story, No Argument is accepted here!
Sep 2, 2020 6:21 PM
Apr 2016
since it's has been hinted many times in the series i assume emilia finally become satella?
Sep 2, 2020 6:24 PM

Jul 2020
As an anime-only this episode contained a lot of information, not the mention the introduction of 3 more witches. I didn't expect them to have super quirky personalities though. I can't say I'm a fan of their designs (especially, their outfits) maybe I'm just not used to colorful styles for the witches, since I expected them to be more on the 'dark' spectrum like Echidna.

But yeah overall a lot of interesting stuff in this episode. Satella appearing at the end was really unexpected. Can't wait for next week episode to come!

I accept random friend requests!
Sep 2, 2020 6:25 PM

Jul 2014
I know we've had a lot of info dump episodes this season and not so much with the previous but god damn this had the most info's we've got in an episode, along with new characters and reveals.
More on return by death, I am glad Subaru doesnt look at it as a curse, instead called it a blessing which in reality it really is, sure the pain is there both mentally and physically but being able to redo shit until you grasp the ending where you won't die is hella convenient.
Im curious with what Echidna wants, she's a witch of greed for a reason, wouldn't be surprised if she really wants something in return that Subaru won't be expecting, I mean transactions should go both ways, you can't just get free knowledge and expect nothing to give back with equal or worst, higher value. I don't know, well not like I'd come to dislike Echidna regardless of what she would want in return, its only fair.
Satella's "I love you" spam reminded me of Yamazaki's "Anpan" spam lol, it was kinda creepy at first but the voice being Taka Rie and being reminded of Yamazaki just made me laugh at her spam lol.

Also, Roswal really did know about return by death!!!!!
Sep 2, 2020 6:37 PM
Jan 2014
The rabbits are attracted by mana and what's with the snow? Was it puck going berserk again and got devoured by the rabbits too?

Actually if Echidna's theory is true - Rbd only cares about Subaru's destiny and noone else - then he can just go seclude himself somewhere and ignore the other characters isn't he? The what-if scenario about him marrying Rem and has children will not end with a loop, because noone else matter. That's only if the theory is correct.
zenograffSep 2, 2020 6:42 PM
Sep 2, 2020 6:40 PM

Apr 2017
Araphaenon said:

Just in case the "critic" here is you, or the statement used as example is something you would agree with:

(A)
1. Subaru has been literally jumping from one crisis to the next. Not counting the resets with multiplicity, very little time has passed.
2. Being able to do 100 push-ups won't help Subaru much when up against people that are physiologically/magically leaps and bounds beyond anything he could possibly do. Wilhelm even comments something to that effect (Subaru: "Are you telling me to get stronger?", Wilhelm: "No. I am telling you to be strong."). His main tool is information gained by RbD, which he can make clever use of, for example by relying on it to move other people.
3. That said, he did try to train his body in what little downtime he had (with Wilhelm).
But that is not, and should not be a high priority objective.

(B)
1. You can even write a good story with only completely ordinary people in it. The genre is called "slice of life".
2. Nonetheless, Subaru does have a very special ability called RbD. Saying he is like an ordinary guy who has been given RbD is not really a valid criticism when he is supposed to be an ordinary guy who has been given RbD. That was the main idea to begin with. It's not "he's not anything special, he just has RbD", but instead "he is special because he has RbD". The story hinges on the core conceit of RbD, not on the protagonist being exceptional in any other way.

Yes, I do agree with the person who wrote the example. However, your reaction to it basically proves them correct as to why it is easy to dislike (or in extreme cases, hate on) this show. Also, there is literally no example of an epic tier literary work I can find where the main character is a basement shut-in or other very self-insertable character. It would be more accurate to say that a self-insert can be enjoyable because people can plug themselves into them and feel like they are saving the day. This does not make it qualify as an epic tier narrative -- and I'm using ancient shit like the Odyssey, the Mahabarata, or the Epic of Gilgamesh as a threshold of entry (I should note that this isn't very high, it just holds a standard).

foxyahoo said:

So... People judge a show by its fans and not the show itself, that makes them look worse than those fans.

It's quite natural, actually.

Here is how it psychologically works:

time point 1: person A thinks a show is ok.

time point 2: a fanboi/fangurl hypes it non stop to the point of (unpleasant) annoyance, overrating it, and effectively going putty without being personally cuddled up by the characters/plot, putting the show above something that might be (objectively, if deconstructed during analysis) better.

time period 3: #2 goes on for a while, building up the unpleasant annoyance. (for clarity, let's say person A does not have an easy time getting away from this behavior, maybe he/she is friends with the fanboi/fangurl or in the same social circle, or the fanboi/fangurl is super influential/some kind of celebrity/internet celebrity that influences person A's social circle)

time point 4: person A has now associated an otherwise ok show as trash. and hate it (thanks to the fans whose behavior it can be attributed to).
BalsaminaSep 2, 2020 9:01 PM
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Sep 2, 2020 6:53 PM

May 2019

Satella Maji T-Tenshi..?

Look, its Emilia right there.

So Emilia's body really is a vessel to be used by Satella. It is clear that the witch took her body.

Btw, Satella's ENVY obviously got immense after see Subaru having fun with so many dead witches and even cheating the silence clause.
Sep 2, 2020 7:08 PM

Jan 2011
pretty wild episode a lot got answered more than i was expecting so soon, was pretty much like we know we haven't shown much of the witches this whole series how about we just give you non stop witches.

honestly can't wrap my head around how our boy is gonna deal with all these problems piling up lol only in death will we find the answer
Sep 2, 2020 7:11 PM

May 2019
And COME ON, the plot is becoming each time more intricate.

Do you REALIZE that we just have 4 episodes left in this split-season?

I was hoping to see a "middle-climax" to end this split-season, like when Subaru killed the White Whale in the middle of 3rd Arc, but now it seems that the next Victory of Subaru just will happens in the 2nd half of this season, next year.

In this season:

1. NO! REM WAS ERASED AGAIN... let's talk with Roswaal to find a solution.

2. NO! EMILIA GOT STUCK in the Sactuary... ok okay, let's overcome those trials.

3. NO! ASSASSINS WILL KILL EVERYBODY in the Mansion... wtf, i need backup for the fight.

4. NO! PIRANHA RABBITS WILL EAT EVERYBODY in the Sanctuary, at least i have the RbD...

5. NOOO! SATELLA ULTIMATE BOSS ALREADY IS HERE, right after the savingpoint!

Checkmate?

The plot is BEGGING for a Deus Ex Machina convenient asspulled solution right now. Let's see if Tappei can be more creative.

Rob7Sep 2, 2020 7:15 PM
Sep 2, 2020 7:20 PM

Jul 2014
This by far Subaru's worst RbD checkpoint, literally every time he respawns new shit pops out. This season is slaying so damn much, not to mention with the ASMR's with Echidna and now Satella's "I love you" people will miss out if you're not watching this via headphones, literally every word that comes out of Echidna is ASMR and Satella's *I love you* spam especially that last one went straight from one ear to the next.
Sep 2, 2020 7:25 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Should have eaten those body juice cookies, maybe you'd die less.
Of course, not even 10 seconds into meeting a witch, Subaru disobeys Echidina's rule of don't touch the witch...noted it wasn't Daphne, but still...come on now. LOL
Takahashi Rie's voice like silk.
I'm not ready.

I might have missed it, but why does Subaru call Daphne Mother?
5/5 this ep
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

505 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Jul 29, 2020

672 by chiwila »»
Apr 9, 9:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.