Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 24, 2020 9:45 AM

Mar 2020
I'm talking about the characters that when they are introduced are always calm, badass, well-composed but when facing at least one enemy these guys, from then to their last appearance are agitated and afraid of literally everything. Is there any particular reason for this?
Aug 24, 2020 10:16 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Personally, I feel that this is simply a human trait. The majority of humans want to be the perfect image of themselves, or want to be the best they can possibly be. For some of them, it could simply to be calm, badass, and well-composed. As such, they would mask themselves with these traits, even if that may not be who they really are. In other words, they would try to portray themselves as the person they wish to be, rather than the person they are. As such, this may cause some people to not be as mentally strong as they could possibly be, due to their personal insecurities about their image. And by not being as mentally as strong as they can be, they would be more likely to break down in an unusual situation, where they are not used to keeping up their facade (for example: when they are facing off an enemy). However, it is important to note that this trait in anime characters is generally exaggerated, may it be for comedic effect or for to make a scene more dramatic.

To keep it short, I personally feel that it is simply a human trait, where people want to be the best version of themselves, thus acting calm/badass/well-composed, which can cause them to become emotionally unstable when in an unfamiliar situation, as they wouldn't be used to acting calm/badass/well-composed in these situations. And this human trait is exaggerated in anime to emotionally impact the audience.

Just as a side note, I don't know a lot about psychology, so I may be wrong in the information I described above. If someone who has done more research on this topic can confirm or repudiate what I've said, that would be appreciated.
Aug 24, 2020 10:38 AM

Jan 2019
Sounds very specific... Unless it just happens that all the anime you've watched had something like this.
Aug 24, 2020 10:40 AM

Aug 2020
The answer is to stop watching so many shounens.
Aug 24, 2020 10:48 AM
Apr 2018
I am not sure what you mean but I am going to write something anyway.

In shounen animes it is for power scaling. Even the most calm and collected character got horrified and lost his cool which means that some Op enemy appeared, a big threat. HxH did this, probably.
Aug 24, 2020 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
My guess is that these characters are easy for the audience to relate to. Humans are generally egotistical, who probably think too much of themselves, holding the belief they won't face these situations, so they can 'big' themselves up, which I'm sure many of us do at certain points in our own lives. However, when they do end up in those experiences, they sulk and cower, as they realized they're simply not up to the task.
plutochanAug 24, 2020 1:29 PM
Aug 24, 2020 1:35 PM
Aug 24, 2020 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
The enemy is meant to be feared with their strength and aura, it makes sense for the protagonist to go through gradual character change as this displays their struggles.
Aug 24, 2020 5:31 PM

Apr 2015
The example that comes to mind is Brain Unglaus in Overlord. He's calm, badass, and well-composed... that is until he encounters Shalltear. After that, he becomes lifeless and petrified. Essentially, he encountered an opponent that was far beyond his abilities.

However, isn't that logical? All his life, he was able to easily destroy others or, at best, be closely defeated by the strongest in his land. Then, one day he encounters an individual so strong that it was beyond his comprehension. I mean, who wouldn't be scared in that scenario?
Aug 25, 2020 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
Talk about being that shallow more than your dreams. It's natural and I give 0 fucks about it.
Aug 25, 2020 3:27 AM

Oct 2010
Doesn't bother me. I got angry at other stuff though like when 2 characters love eachother but we get 0 kisses or some sexy moments. And there's that rival who keeps bugging the mc even though he/she is taken. I found this more absurd than what you described.
Aug 25, 2020 4:05 AM

May 2018
"Why do anime always do this?"

Donghua does that too tho.
I guess it's some sort of asian trope: Cool facade but actually anxious and full of doubts character.

More topics from this board

» Best maid character?

Serafos - 1 hour ago

10 by BitChilly »»
2 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

61 by zoeanime13 »»
17 minutes ago

» It's good that sometimes you don't need to gatekeep a series when it does by itself

Damnits - 2 hours ago

12 by Vaturna »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 3 )

Cammell - May 8

100 by deg »»
52 minutes ago

» favorite anime under 50 episodes?

RedTea33 - 10 hours ago

25 by Rinrinka »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.