Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 31, 2020 2:53 AM

Jun 2017
THE LIST BELOW IS ACCORDING TO MAL RATINGS

So I do this each year as MAL stopped it (after 2016)

Before I start there are some rules to follow with this list:

1.List is without any sequels in it.

2.No OVAs or Movies

3.There are none but anyway no spinoffs

4.Leftovers from fall and only completed shows are included.

5.I will add them irrespective of the popularity

I had a lot of fun making this so I hope you like it as well.

Since it is middle of the year so I didn't ask anyone for reviews.

10. Runway de waratte

9. Toilet bound Hanako-kun

8. Welcome to demon school Iruma-kun

7. Wan Sheng Jie

6. Tower of God

5. Somali to Mori no Kamisama

4. ID: Invaded

3. Kakushigoto

2. Dorohedoro

1. Keep your hands off Eizouken

I HOPE YOU LIKED THIS LIST

So, what do you think about this list??

What are your favorites this??

Anyway, thanks for passing by :D

Last to last year - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1759083
BigBlueBashJul 31, 2020 3:10 AM
Jul 31, 2020 3:10 AM

Jun 2017
" 7. Wan Shang Jie"
Good to see it here. It was an unexpectedly good short series
Jul 31, 2020 3:19 AM

Dec 2018
Amazed to see Smile down the Runway. And the majority of the anime are from Winter of 2020... ironic.
Jul 31, 2020 3:22 AM
Jun 2020
Smile down the Runway. Quite possibly the AOTY.
Nefelupitou said:
6 - Tower of God

Oh my holy Jesus Christ.
amen
Jul 31, 2020 4:00 AM

Jun 2020
"Wan Sheng Jie" what is that? Never even heard about it. And where is My Next Life as a Villainess?

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 31, 2020 4:10 AM

Oct 2019
I can see this changing a lot after this season finishes because this season seems very promising compared to the others. However I will say that I have enjoyed all the ones on the list that I've seen and happy to see ID Invaded up there.

The only one that I'm sad not to see on there is sing yesterday for me. Had a really great start but with the rushed ending I can see why it got a lower rating.
Jul 31, 2020 4:13 AM

Jun 2017
Arin-san said:
"Wan Sheng Jie" what is that? Never even heard about it. And where is My Next Life as a Villainess?

It didn't make the list 😞. It's score was lower than I expected.
Jul 31, 2020 4:26 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
@BigBlueBash

Great Pretender is an ONA, so it should have been 1 as you stated "No OVAs or Movies"

FYI, OVA is not the the same as ONA
Jul 31, 2020 4:28 AM

Nov 2015
so basically top animes in each season are the one with a sequel

Jul 31, 2020 4:29 AM

Jun 2017
xkazutox said:
@BigBlueBash

Great Pretender is an ONA, so it should have been 1 as you stated "No OVAs or Movies"

FYI, OVA is not the the same as ONA

Ik it is but it's not over. Read all the rules I wrote.
Jul 31, 2020 4:32 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
@BigBlueBash
woops, I misread that part and assume the completed shows only apply for Fall leftover.
Jul 31, 2020 11:28 AM

Sep 2018
A cool list but such a disappointing year for me.
We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Jul 31, 2020 12:10 PM

Jan 2020
No Ishuzoku Reviewers? Ignoring all the memes, it was actually pretty entertaining. I’d certainly put it over ToG at the very least.
Jul 31, 2020 12:15 PM

Feb 2020
Haven't watched most of the anime mentioned here, but one thing I know for sure: If Tower of God gets a damned #6, then Otome Game more than deserves to be on the list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2020 12:16 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I haven't seen a single one of these. But I approve, especially since "Keep your hands off Eizouken!"'s score is 8.23, which is my birthday.

Runway de Waratte looks like a masterpiece

Toilet bound Hanako-kun makes me not want to watch it by its title

Welcome to demon school Iruma-kun looks like Blue deku

Wan Sheng Jie uhh never heard of it in my life lol

Tower of God image looks like the Virgin vs. Chad meme, never read too much of it but I thought what I read was pretty good

Somali to Mori no Kamisama wtf there's a Somali anime that's badass!!

ID: Invaded sounds like one of those anime like In/Spectre or Angels of Death, at least I get that vibe

Kakushigoto looks like Zetsubou-sensei

Dorohedoro based
ChartTopper60Jul 31, 2020 12:24 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2020 12:17 PM

Aug 2015
I... Never heard the 1 st one.. lol XD

That aside, it's surprising to see Iruma actually above Hanako. I've seen people talking about Hanako on twitter but no Iruma. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jul 31, 2020 12:19 PM
Mar 2020
Kakushigito takes the cake for me completely so far.
Jul 31, 2020 12:22 PM

Jul 2019
Binged kakushigoto to the end. Best one so far
Always trust yer tummy!
Jul 31, 2020 12:32 PM
Aug 2013
Toilet bound hanako is a remake of an old classic anime, does that still count? i'd say that's almost like a spinoff

I liked ID invaded the best but i'd say kakushigoto is the best of the year, only because there's been like barely any good anime this year thanks to the pandemic.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jul 31, 2020 12:34 PM
Aug 2013
ChartTopper60 said:
ID: Invaded sounds like one of those anime like In/Spectre or Angels of Death, at least I get that vibe

It's a really good mystery anime which we could always use more of in the anime culture
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jul 31, 2020 1:30 PM

Jun 2019
I started watching anime more often and seriously (as in series back to back) in March of last year and although I did watch the Fruits Basket reboot last year (not until the end of the year though after the first season had already finished airing) and Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san, this is the first year that I actually have watched a larger number of first run/currently airing shows - A few I watched week to week from the beginning, whereas most I still watched a few weeks to months after the season or series ended. So I'll answer this since I have more from the current year than ever before (although I'm sure still miniscule compared to some).

It will be a Top 9 instead of a Top 10 for me, because I've only seen nine which qualify.

1.) Somali to Mori no Kamisama - 7/10 - Like a post-apocalyptic Ghibli series in look and feel (think Nausicaa except less environmental planetary focus and more focus on familial relations and the micro perspective of caring for someone and being cared for in this harsh world, as well as on traveling/the spirit of the journey). Maybe it feels like Kino no Tabi meets Nausicaa meets Usagi Drop. I love traveling/road stories and Slice of Life and inter-generational relationships (not necessarily romantic/sexual, but platonic and wholesome too, like in this) and Coming of Age in confusing or brutal circumstances. Also post-apocalyptic which is always a bonus combined with a very colorful and creative fantasy world. It reminds me of some cartoons I grew up with with anthropomorphic animals and creatures if they had a darker edge and same ambition.

2.) Dorohedoro - 7/10 - Extremely inventive. Happy to have something different that doesn't feel like any other anime in any respect and something with horror elements (although not a primary horror) as a horror fan - the body horror and zany and bizarr-o/absurd comedic horror which feels fresh in anime in its tone and execution. The CGI didn't bother me (it bothers me a lot less in animation, whether anime or cartoons, than in anything live action where it looks more starkly incongruous, fake and intrusive) and I haven't seen anything in anime with its mixture of genres. Could see it developing into something great if it gets more seasons.

3.) Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei - 7/10 - The only anime I've seen which I would compare it to is 2018's Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes, and I'm also fond of that one. This feels more like an iyashikei though and especially in its first half. Light mystery, some drama, and iyashikei/Slice of Life around jewelry and gemstone appraisal business. So calm and still insightful.

4.) Fruits Basket 2019 reboot - N/A (I haven't rated it yet because it's an ongoing series and I don't rate series until I've completed them - the other series may have future seasons at some point down the line announced, but they're over for now - I rated the first season a 7/10 though and may revise all my ratings of the show as a whole after it's concluded) - This could end up going up a few places, but it's possible the series won't end until next year or a few more years, depending on the scheduling and how long they decide to make it. So far most of the second season is even better than most of the first, but since I'm familiar with neither the 2001 Fruits Basket original anime series nor the manga, I really don't have a clue where the story's going and it's too early to judge.

5.) Id: Invaded - 7/10 - This is like Paprika meets Inception; a kind of science fantasy epic. I'm automatically interested in anything with dream science and exploring dreams, the human consciousness and subconscious, etc. and the police setting a bit like Ghost in the Shell is also nice since I haven't seen many police procedural-type anime. But something that easily could have been an 8 or even a 9 out of 10 based on that strong premise is hurt because I wasn't thrilled by the execution. I felt like this should have been at least double the length.

The characters are underdeveloped - even the main two, but especially the rest of the cast so what could have been interesting characters ends up being pretty flat archetypes because they have to rush through so much information and exposition (which I don't mind dialogue or exposition-heavy series at all since I like all the dense info, but the series didn't have the length to integrate it evenly). The villain's reasons for doing anything they do are extremely poorly explained or justified in the anime.

6.) Houkago Teibou Nisshi - N/A (ongoing; so far in my mind it's between a 6 and a 7 though teetering closer to 7) - I always wanted to see a fishing anime. I haven't seen any other and fishing + iyashikei = glorious. So far though it's only four episodes in because even though it started airing in March or April it was put on hiatus for months due to the global pandemic and just resumed this past week. It's too early to judge based on four episodes. I like the characters, the music, everything about its relaxing atmosphere. Yet it remains to be seen if they do anything more with it and really transcend as an iyashikei similar to I feel something like Yuru Camp did. For now the characters are just your CGDCT archetypes, but it's very serviceable and watchable.

7.) Ishuzoku Reviewers - 6/10 - If I was just rating based on evaluating everything according only to what it's aiming to be, then this would deserve an 8 or perhaps even a 9/10 rather than a 6 as it executes it swimmingly. But what it's aiming to be is a soft/stealth hentai and ecchi and those aren't my genres of choice. Still worth watching though as every so often I like to see something even from my less favored genres when it's something rumored to be done well or with another interesting hook to it. Plus, I am partial to interspecies love (whether platonic, familial, romantic, or sexual) and the hyena girl is fabulous. I was impressed by the sheer number and variety of species they included and didn't take body makeup or size or demeanor as a handicap or hindrance but something to be fun and toyed with and explored.

8.) Eizouken ni wa Te o Dasu na! - N/A - This is over, but I have put it On Hold, because it's a little too self-contained/episodic with easily arrived at resolutions for my tastes even though I like the different art style and some of the look behind aspects of the process in the animation industry - I intend to complete it at some point. - for now it would probably be a 6/10 even though, as said, I haven't actually rated it on its page on the site yet)

9.) Babylon - 5/10 (Yes, I realize this is officially a 2019 anime, but it finished airing in January of 2020, so I'm including it) - So disappointing. I wanted to love this one. Thriller is my most favorite genre, it had Satsuki Yukino the goddess of seiyuu voicing the antagonist, and the direction and sound design in the first half were so strong.

But the plot has no resolution which feels like it's of any consequence, some grandiose concepts are ruined in the second half by extremely shallow and simplistic writing, and there is zero real explanation as to how the antagonist does anything they do either mentioned or depicted on screen. It just kind of fizzles out and feels so anti-climactic, underwhelming, and anemic. It had an intelligent and interesting premise but it's like it chose not to capitalize on it and keep the story at a very superficial and rushed level.

Edit: Apologies - I missed your above stated rule in the OP about only including completed (for now...) shows. If that would be the case, my list would look something like this then:

1.) Somali to Mori no Kamisama
2.) Dorohedoro
3.) Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei
4.) Id: Invaded
5.) Ishuzoku Reviewers
6.) Eizouken ni wa Te o Dasu na!
7.) Babylon

WatchTillTandavaJul 31, 2020 1:50 PM
Jul 31, 2020 4:32 PM
Chosen
Jan 2016
I like Hanako-kun the most. Love that art style so much. Plus, the air of mystery it has it great. The manga is just a good too. Looks like they set up for a season 2, so it should be just as good
Jul 31, 2020 4:45 PM

Oct 2019

10. Runway de Waratte - Haven't seen this show, don't even know the premise but decided to not watch it.

9. Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun - Did not watch the show but the art style looks interesting

8. Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun - Quite a nice show to watch. It's nice and vibrant in color.

7. Wan Sheng Jie - not seen so can't say much

6. Tower of God - My discord mates and tons of crunchy roll ads made me interested in reading the manhwa. I am like a month behind on the current chapter. The anime has a nice art style and nearly follows the manhwa. Some of the action though is lacking and they change up some scenes from the manhwa.

5. Somali to Mori no Kamisama - Very adorable Somali. It gives off a cute vibe but it is also dark as Somali must keep herself hidden from human eating creatures. I loved the dynamic of emotionless first time father golem and naive Somali exploring the world.

4. ID: INVADED - One of the best ED songs for me. I enjoyed the technology and mentality of some of these characters. Though, I felt they could have had more episodes before the buildup near the end. The idea of entering the mind of someones mind was really creative and interesting.
3. Kakushigoto - I like the manga and was originally looking forward to the series, but due having seen the Shaft advert from 2015 or so, my expectation on the art style was more than specific, and lead me to skip on the anime after I saw the anime looking like a typical bland adaption does, the visual the least. As said, I like the manga, so it's safe to assume the content, with mainly its sympathetic cast and unique humor, probably have delivered, but as I've experienced them already, and the anime doesn't look like it can offer anything worthwhile I haven't gotten out the manga, I skip on it, but for those who haven't read the manga, I recommend giving the anime a try if you don't wanna read.

2. Dorohedoro - Kinda was hoping for a lizard man whole but I didn't mind it just being a head. The worlds were interesting and the psychedelic OP was amazing. Very gruesome show and mysterious plot. Only sad that I have to wait for another season before they continue the hunt for the guys identity.
1. Keep your Hands off Eizouken! - Haven't seen this show nor heard anything about it.

"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jul 31, 2020 9:05 PM

Jun 2017
EightSeven said:
No Ishuzoku Reviewers? Ignoring all the memes, it was actually pretty entertaining. I’d certainly put it over ToG at the very least.

It actually just missed (eleventh position). Hey I'm disappointed too alright.

SagarSR said:
Haven't watched most of the anime mentioned here, but one thing I know for sure: If Tower of God gets a damned #6, then Otome Game more than deserves to be on the list.

Definitely would have liked to add it but it was so down in the list. I like that show.

Pylia said:
Thanks for the effort of making the thread again.

My top 10 according to the standards so far:

10. Gleipnir 6/10
9. My Next Life as a Villainess 6/10
8. If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die 6/10
7. Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun 6/10
6. Yesterday o Utatte 7/10
5. Ishizuki Reviewers 7/10
4. Bofuri 8/10
3. Dorohedoro 8/10
1. ID: INVADED 9/10
1. Keep your Hands off Eizouken! 9/10

Thanks for looking at it!

Your list is also really good.
And it's really sad going through these comments and seeing so many people that don't even know about Eizouken.

Anyway, I hope it changes by the end of the year and I can add user reviews on my list.
Aug 1, 2020 10:08 AM
Dec 2018
Yesterday wo Utatte in my personal favorite (since we aren't counting sequals)
My second favorite is Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!

Other than that I enjoy The God of High school,and Deca-Dence is pretty average for my standards and I liked Kami no Tou
Aug 1, 2020 10:19 AM

Aug 2016
I guess I am truly a normie now.. I haven't seen any of those shows lol

So far the show I liked the most was the 2nd season of Kaguya sama.. though it's been a weak year so far imo. It's might finish strong and my choice will likely change. I need to see SNAFU, Re:Zero, and the Inuyasha sequel to make up my mind.
Aug 1, 2020 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
I have greatly enjoyed numbers 2, 3 and 4. Hope there are similarly good new anime ahead.
Aug 1, 2020 10:38 AM

Aug 2019
I'm not watching lots of new anime this year. But i will drop my top 5 so far.

5. Runway de Warrate
4. Eizouken
3. Toilet bond Hanako-kun
2. Kakushigoto
1. Nami yo Kiitekure.
KMSpicoAug 1, 2020 10:44 AM
Aug 1, 2020 10:43 AM

Dec 2017
I will take 6(Tower of God) was really good tho it went really fast and some things were misunderstood
Don't fuck up the present, it's connected to your future!
Aug 1, 2020 8:40 PM

Jul 2014
Good to see you include, runway de waratte. Such a good drama anime and maybe kinda underrated.

This is my list so far in 2020. I haven't watched many popular anime, and mostly of my favorite anime are Slice of life

10. Uchi Tama?!
9. Kakushigoto
8. Id:Invaded
7. Somali to Mori no Kamisama
6. Babylon
5. Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu
4. Princess Connect! Re:Dive
3. Xian Wang de Richang Shenghuo
2. Runway de Waratte
1. Nami yo Kiitekure
Aug 2, 2020 6:36 AM

Jul 2020
Arin-san said:

I'm so glad that there are people who watch mnlav how much did you liked the show?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 2, 2020 6:40 AM

Jul 2020
Tower of God

Yeah nothing else to say just areally good anime
Aug 4, 2020 9:24 PM

Jun 2017
Ad12345 said:
Arin-san said:

I'm so glad that there are people who watch mnlav how much did you liked the show?

Hey I like it too. It was a good show. I was so sure it was going to make into the list but it didn't 😢.

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
19 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.