Forum Settings
Forums

CPU Overheating while gaming even after repasting/cleaning

New
Apr 30, 2020 12:26 AM
Jul 2018
I have a laptop ASUS ROG GL552VW since 2015 and most of my games are running between 80-90 degrees, I just noticed it 2 weeks ago, then I took it to a technical assistant, he cleaned and repaste both the CPU and the GPU, but the cpu throttling still continues
Apr 30, 2020 1:41 AM

Jan 2009
err clean it again because maybe the cleaning was not enough but if symptoms persist consult your doctor buy a new one or get a replacement if its still under warranty although im hearing this days with my brother that a lot of laptops today are just disposable that you need to entirely buy a new laptop so big if true
Apr 30, 2020 5:35 PM

Mar 2008
Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Does your laptop have a fan or not? I know some newer ones lacks fans.

Do you use your laptop on a flat hard surface with plenty of ventilation room or do you suffocate it by putting it on your lap or bed? Ever thought of just getting a cooling laptop pad? Usually it's just a fan or series of fans that blow upward. External cooling can do more than you expect sometimes.
Apr 30, 2020 5:58 PM

Apr 2012
>cooling pads are a thing
you guys have just saved my summer
Apr 30, 2020 6:09 PM

Jul 2017
what cpu though? Newer Intel ones are really toasty bois. If you have like a 9900, then 80-90 isn't the end of the world (as thermal throttling starts to happen around 100+) although that's for desktop I assume laptops would be similar. Also what are the ambient temps in the room itself? If it's like 30 C+ then obviously it's gonna run hotter, especially with fan cooling.

most modern cpu's will just thermal throttle anyways at high temps so it shouldn't completely ruin your system. Search online for your cpu average temps to see what situation you're in.

if the heat is reallllllly making things worrying, then the only solution I think is to manually under clock/volt your cpu

Apr 30, 2020 6:10 PM

Mar 2008
Kogganuth said:
traed said:
Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Does your laptop have a fan or not? I know some newer ones lacks fans.

Do you use your laptop on a flat hard surface with plenty of ventilation room or do you suffocate it by putting it on your lap or bed? Ever thought of just getting a cooling laptop pad? Usually it's just a fan or series of fans that blow upward. External cooling can do more than you expect sometimes.

Celsius, my laptop have just a fan and I use a cooling pad, the idle temperature is between 45-50, my new room is more ventilated than the old one

Damn that seems unusually high being Celsius. Does anything feel anywhere near that hot on the laptop when you touch it or perhaps you have a laser thermometer to check? If it doesn't feel extremely hot maybe the reading is off.
Apr 30, 2020 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
traed said:
Kogganuth said:

Celsius, my laptop have just a fan and I use a cooling pad, the idle temperature is between 45-50, my new room is more ventilated than the old one

Damn that seems unusually high being Celsius. Does anything feel anywhere near that hot on the laptop when you touch it or perhaps you have a laser thermometer to check? If it doesn't feel extremely hot maybe the reading is off.

I feel hot air blowing out when I'm gaming or rendering a video
Apr 30, 2020 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
what cpu though? Newer Intel ones are really toasty bois. If you have like a 9900, then 80-90 isn't the end of the world (as thermal throttling starts to happen around 100+) although that's for desktop I assume laptops would be similar. Also what are the ambient temps in the room itself? If it's like 30 C+ then obviously it's gonna run hotter, especially with fan cooling.

most modern cpu's will just thermal throttle anyways at high temps so it shouldn't completely ruin your system. Search online for your cpu average temps to see what situation you're in.

if the heat is reallllllly making things worrying, then the only solution I think is to manually under clock/volt your cpu

I just saw the average temperature on the Intel forum

1.While the system is idle:

You can expect temperatures from 30°C to 40°C.

2.While the system is under high load:

Temperatures may vary from 70°C to 90°C.

3.Which temps are dangerous:

Over 100°C
Apr 30, 2020 6:30 PM

Jul 2017
Kogganuth said:
Short_Circut said:

then you should be fine. What is the ambient temperature in your room though? Those idle temps seem a bit too hot but nothing majorly concerning

air cooling is generally gonna give hotter temps than water cooling, and from my knowledge, at least laptops aren't really the coolest systems
Apr 30, 2020 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
Kogganuth said:

then you should be fine. What is the ambient temperature in your room though? Those idle temps seem a bit too hot but nothing majorly concerning

air cooling is generally gonna give hotter temps than water cooling, and from my knowledge, at least laptops aren't really the coolest systems

between 18-22°C
Apr 30, 2020 7:51 PM

Sep 2014
Undervolt your CPU, that should lower the temperature and eliminate throttling. It's a trial and error process with practically no risk anyways. If you find the right voltage, it will reduce temperatures and won't lower performance that much in contrast to how much performance you're losing through CPU throttling.
Apr 30, 2020 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
Try use NoteBook Fan Control 1.6.3 to manually force fan 100% constantly. Maybe loud but if you wear headphone for music and gaming shouldn't be bothering. You can get it at github release.

I own a multimedia but non gaming Asus laptop, the idle temp from usual 56-58 Celsius down to 42C at forced 50% fan speed.Incredible small single fan system to handle both CPU and a dedicated GPU.
May 1, 2020 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
HorizonFox said:
Try use NoteBook Fan Control 1.6.3 to manually force fan 100% constantly. Maybe loud but if you wear headphone for music and gaming shouldn't be bothering. You can get it at github release.

I own a multimedia but non gaming Asus laptop, the idle temp from usual 56-58 Celsius down to 42C at forced 50% fan speed.Incredible small single fan system to handle both CPU and a dedicated GPU.

Thanks, but I didn't find my laptop T.T

Elegade said:
Undervolt your CPU, that should lower the temperature and eliminate throttling. It's a trial and error process with practically no risk anyways. If you find the right voltage, it will reduce temperatures and won't lower performance that much in contrast to how much performance you're losing through CPU throttling.

What CPU voltage should I use?
May 1, 2020 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
Are there other ROG GL5 profile that is coming close to yours? Works for my N series that i just pick one with model numbers coming close to mine.

You can also create a new profile which i never tested fully. Try tinker around.
May 1, 2020 5:46 PM

Sep 2014
Depends on your processor, the usual is to start at -100mv, then doing some light load on your PC, and if it doesn't crash, then do another -50, -25, and test again then fine tune. Find your processor online, and see how much people have undervolted theirs and try that setting.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Between these two franchises ,which do you think has the better soundtracks?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 6

6 by Nette »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite strategy video games

EarthHero - May 31

32 by H-A-M-M-Y »»
6 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

161 by ST63LTH »»
Today, 2:53 AM

» What's yalls favorite Pokemon?

Conraddoyle - Feb 13

42 by ninjaberserker »»
Yesterday, 11:52 PM

» What gives you instant motivation to plat/100% a game

Joesaka - Jun 8

14 by Pg13_ »»
Yesterday, 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.