Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2020 6:14 AM

Aug 2015
i'm curious! which manga is your favorite in terms of art? i find that even if a story isn't super compelling i can keep reading if the art is really good, or that fantastic art makes an already well-written story stand out more.

some of my favorite mangas in terms of art are jibaku shounen hanako-kun, tongari boushi no atelier, totsukuni no shoujo, shimanami tasogare & ran to haiiro no sekai~
(/ ̄ー ̄)/‥∵:*:☆*part time human, full time weeaboo★。::*☆
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 29, 2020 6:42 AM
Jul 2017
Hmmm...
I really like Asano Inio art's, from the manga he did, i think the one with the best art is Oyasumi Punpun, i really love his style
Apr 29, 2020 6:49 AM
Dec 2018
Damn thats hard, between Vagabond and Berserk I would choose Vagabond, it just has a bit more detail and I find it more aesthetically pleasing but both manga are pieces of art by themselves
Apr 29, 2020 7:16 AM

Aug 2015
Ranzzoo said:
Hmmm...
I really like Asano Inio art's, from the manga he did, i think the one with the best art is Oyasumi Punpun, i really love his style

ooh man, i forgot how much i like asano inio's stuff too. oyasumi punpun was crazy good, though i personally like solanin a tad more

Qashi-Dema said:
Damn thats hard, between Vagabond and Berserk I would choose Vagabond, it just has a bit more detail and I find it more aesthetically pleasing but both manga are pieces of art by themselves

i haven't read either of those! googled up some of the panels and the attention to detail is amazing.. i'll definitely find time to read them!
silkiesApr 29, 2020 7:21 AM
Apr 29, 2020 11:06 AM
Jan 2018
Kengan Ashura has incredible art. Early on it's a little rough around the edges, but the style gets super sleek by the end with really good use of shadows, great facial expressions, and more often than not a thicker black outline around the characters which I'm partial to.
Apr 29, 2020 11:48 AM
Apr 2020
Bride story by Kaoru Mori is just wow...
Apr 29, 2020 11:59 AM

Jun 2016
Kidou Senshi Gundam: The Origin by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko
Apr 29, 2020 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
So you are asking as a package, so the manga itself as a whole or isolated or maybe where the art carries an otherwise subpar story on its back? Because depending on the answer the question can be approached very differently. Some manga has very detailed art, but the panels have awful flow. Some other not particularly great on the technical level, but very expressive. Some has first class artwork, but the story is really lacking.
Apr 29, 2020 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
im a simple man so everything by Murata specifically Eyeshield 21 and One Punch Man
Apr 29, 2020 6:21 PM

Aug 2015
Heldengeist said:
So you are asking as a package, so the manga itself as a whole or isolated or maybe where the art carries an otherwise subpar story on its back? Because depending on the answer the question can be approached very differently. Some manga has very detailed art, but the panels have awful flow. Some other not particularly great on the technical level, but very expressive. Some has first class artwork, but the story is really lacking.

you bring up a very valid point! i guess i'm asking more in terms of the art as a package? just whichever manga had art that left the biggest impact on you, or kept making you think "wow the art is so nice!" the whole time you were reading it~ i guess more technical things like panel flow might affect this decision, but you're free to interpret/answer the question in a way that seems most fitting for you.

also -- thank you for the answers everyone! i'm going to go check out everything you guys have suggested
Apr 29, 2020 6:23 PM

Mar 2018
berserk. the backgrounds are just beautiful. i actually really liked the old art but the modern style works too.
Apr 29, 2020 10:38 PM

Feb 2018
youngveins said:
i'm curious! which manga is your favorite in terms of art? i find that even if a story isn't super compelling i can keep reading if the art is really good, or that fantastic art makes an already well-written story stand out more.

some of my favorite mangas in terms of art are jibaku shounen hanako-kun, tongari boushi no atelier, totsukuni no shoujo, shimanami tasogare & ran to haiiro no sekai~

https://myanimelist.net/manga/112115/Act-age
Apr 29, 2020 11:56 PM

Sep 2015
youngveins said:
[you bring up a very valid point! i guess i'm asking more in terms of the art as a package? just whichever manga had art that left the biggest impact on you, or kept making you think "wow the art is so nice!" the whole time you were reading it~ i guess more technical things like panel flow might affect this decision, but you're free to interpret/answer the question in a way that seems most fitting for you.

also -- thank you for the answers everyone! i'm going to go check out everything you guys have suggested

Then I think I should choose Gon, though reading it is not really the right word. It's more of an artwork with a story then a conventional comic. It relies exclusively on its artwork to tell it's story and every panel is as detailed and realistic as the best parts of anything mentioned so far.

If I should choose something with a written story, then MAYBE Innocent, though then there are a lot around the same level. If I should mention anything where it's lagging behind Berserk for example is maybe composition, however Innocent is more consistent.

Apr 30, 2020 7:08 PM
Mar 2020

Yousai Gakuen aka Fortified School.

surprised no one said sun ken rock or gantz.

also masamune shirow works.
Apr 30, 2020 8:25 PM

Mar 2020
Vagabond and Blame without a doubt! Close runner up would Uzumaki.
Apr 30, 2020 9:19 PM

Mar 2014
i like nisekoi's art
May 1, 2020 12:28 AM

Aug 2015
i'm noticing that a lot of you guys seem to be answering manga with a more realistic art style, that's cool! my circle seems to prefer cute/stylized art so this has been eye-opening!

keep the recs coming :D
May 1, 2020 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Berserk and PunPun; tho it’s admittedly very unfortunate that those are the aspects that I appreciate most about them. Much less with punpun and more with berserk.
Nov 3, 2020 3:58 PM

Feb 2018
Berserk and Vagabond are top tier!
Nov 5, 2020 9:26 PM

Feb 2019
Overall technical quality of the art? Vagabond, JoJo, HNK, Blade of the Immortal, Death Note and so on

Backgrounds? Yotsubato. Azuma absolutely dominates the art of detailing backgrounds (and I think the character's designs are also pretty stylish)

I think it's very important to have good backgrounds, it enhances the immersion and everything feels more real
For example (big images on the spoiler tag)

Nov 5, 2020 9:27 PM

Nov 2019
one punch man or solo leveling
Nov 5, 2020 11:10 PM

Jan 2016
One Punch Man from what I have read. here are some panels:

Nov 6, 2020 12:12 AM

Jul 2019
Kengan Ashura. The art is incredible. There are so many cool panels. The character designs are cool and epic, the fights clear and stuff. Kengan would not be as good without it's incredible art.

Sun-Ken Rock. The art is great and so is everything else. There are many cool panels and epicness. Boichi is legendary.

Nov 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Oct 2019
Mmm, Sun-Ken Rock, Gantz, Platinum End, OPM, Solo Leveling, Trinity Wonder, Also Another, the art is nothing outstanding but i like a lot the character designs, last chapters of Shingeki no Kyojin has a pretty good art too.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2020 4:33 AM

Sep 2015
I would say Bleach, Prison School and The Breaker: New Waves (which is Korean).

Kubo, the author of Bleach, is famous among some for the "same face syndrome", which is definitely a thing, yet the faces are what I like most in his art. Many of them are actually unique. In particular something I've been thinking aobut is how he draws noses. Take a look at this guy's nose:
Honestly, a great looking nose. Other Bleach noses may not be as good. Another character with a nice nose is Zaraki. It has a lot of character, Zaraki's nose. Everytime Zaraki appeared in the final arc I couldn't stop thinking about his nose. Anyway, I like the way Kubo draws characters in general, not just the noses and faces. Some people complain about the lack of backgrounds in Bleach, but the funny thing is that the backgrounds are usually drawn by assistants, it's his choice to leave them out in many scenes. I guess I'm writing about criticism because I used to read threads where people compared the "big three" manga among other things in the past.

So regarding Hiramoto, the author of Prison School, when I look at the art in Prison School, and when I look at art from his previous works, the impression I get is that he is an extremely skilled artist. I mean, he seems to have a really good understanding of anatomy and perspective, he knows how to draw characters that are both ugly and attractive. If I were to compare his work to other manga I've read, I would probably rank his art the highest. If I compare with works I haven't read, then I think Vagabond for example seems "better". Anyway, it's just a subjective opinion of mine. For some reason I was really impressed by Prison School back when I read it. The quality of the art was a bit unexpected since it's such a ridiculous series I guess (I watched the anime before reading the manga).

Jin-Hwan Park, the artist of The Breaker and The Breaker: New Waves has a really cool style, is what I think. I don't have as much to say about him as the other two, because I read this manhwa much longer ago but well the fight scenes are awesome and the drawing style is really pleasant. I think The Breaker is one of those comics that use a lot of shadows and such (just like many shonen series) to create some sort of hype/ tension/ emotion. With both The Breaker and Bleach, there is a lot of evolution in terms of art. This happens with most series of course, especially longer ones, but I didn't get the same impression with Prison School, like it felt like he was sick (sick in a good way) right from the start. I read some previous works from Hiramoto and the art was awesome there too. About the shadows again, that was a really cool thing with Bleach, especially in the final arc.

After looking at some images from The Breaker just now, I had the thought that Jin-Hwan Park draws some really nice ears and hair. Thought I'd add that since I was expressing appreciation for Kubo's noses before.

I was really hyped to read Burn the Witch because it's a chance to see more of Kubo's art again but honestly I didn't like it as much as the art in the final parts of Bleach, not sure why. There's a guy with a good nose here too of course but I'm not a fan of the dragons among other things.
can dis sig fit
Nov 6, 2020 5:23 AM

Aug 2018
While it isn't my favorite the climber has some really impressive art
_______I like rocks__
Nov 6, 2020 6:36 AM

Dec 2014
Well I predominately read a lot of shoujo so I feel like a shoujo manga that had really good art was Honey Lemon Soda

However, random addition: Who Made Me a Princess is really beautiful in terms of artwork. It's one of the better "shoujo" manhwas out there in terms of artwork. The attention to detail is amazing and so much care is put into costume design and I really appreciate it.

Nov 7, 2020 3:38 AM

Dec 2017
Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2020 10:03 PM

Jun 2020
oyasumi punpun!!! and many of inio asanos works tbh

homunculus has amazing art as well
Nov 8, 2020 4:50 PM
Oct 2020
Maybe not my number one favorite, but the art in CLAMP works is very appealing to me. Especially in works like xxxHolic where the mangaka uses line shading and stippling instead of screentones. The heavy use of black gives it a kind of dark and sultry vibe that sets the tone for the manga and gives it a unique appeal.

juicemangaNov 8, 2020 5:56 PM

Nov 8, 2020 4:54 PM

Sep 2020
Mine is definitely Grand Blue's artist, amazing art and facial expressions.

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Nov 8, 2020 10:08 PM

Jan 2020
Nov 8, 2020 10:10 PM

Sep 2018
In terms of manga art my favorite is Yamada Kun 7 Witches. Each panel looks like it took a great deal of effort. When I completed the manga and picked up other series I realize how rushed a lot of work is.
Apr 3, 2021 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
chainsaw man, I love how detailed it is
Apr 3, 2021 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
omoide emanon, oyasumi punpun, or hello baby
Apr 3, 2021 9:54 PM

Aug 2020
silkies said:

Hard to say its either Dorohedoro or Bambino

Dorohedoro has this messy detailed look to it sort of like BLAME! or Fire Punch! its really fitting for a manga about a dirty apocalyptic city called hole in which sorcerors coming from another dimension turns the humans in hole into deformed gross mutations and the main character is an alligator man chomping on peoples heads also it really works well for a the contrasting dark humor characters get turned into zombies and arms are broken in grotesque manners. also its works well for how much violence and gore their is

[/spoiler]

Bambino is a cooking manga about a chef named ban that comes to work at a prestigious Italian restaurant he comes in smug but quickly gets his confidence ripped and the whole manga is him dealing with the frustration and improving himself in his cooking the whole manga has this tenseness and passion to it the expressions on characters are really fitting for the cooking setting and the food art is gorgeous

KuroGFXApr 3, 2021 10:01 PM
Apr 7, 2021 8:18 AM
Dec 2020
This is a hard question...choosing one is too difficult,i'll rank my 5 best.
1-Dorohedoro is the best thing i've seen out there in terms of drawing...its dirty and messy,i love it
2-Kengan ashura
3-Tokyo ghoulRe
4-Chainsaw man(gory scenes)
5-One punch man
Apr 8, 2021 4:04 AM

Nov 2010
Vagabond, Vagabond, Vagabond, and Vagabond.
Apr 8, 2021 4:07 AM
Nov 2019
Junji Ito and Kazuo Umezu. Both of these guys made so much manga with hyper detail art style. They spend so much time making manga with that art style.
Apr 8, 2021 8:59 AM

Mar 2021
i'm a massive sucker for the backgrounds in kimi wa houkago insomnia
Apr 8, 2021 1:30 PM

Jul 2020
For me it's Saike Mata Shitemo, the art style works amazingly for fights.
I always have trouble understanding what the heck is going on in most series' fight scenes, but not with Saike.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Apr 8, 2021 2:34 PM

Apr 2020
I really like tkmiz's art on Girls' Last Tour and Shimeji Simulation. There's a fine line between surrealism and realism in those drawings.

beep boop bop pow
Apr 9, 2021 12:02 PM

Jun 2014
I love the character designs in Miyuki Yamaguchi's works. I'm not certain if I could decide on just one work, though.

Apr 9, 2021 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
This took over my number 1 pretty quickly, I absolutely love how the animals are drawn.
Apr 9, 2021 12:06 PM

Apr 2017
I think Made in Abyss is absolutely stunning. At first I wasn't fond of the more chibi character designs, but it grew on me, and all of the fantastical encounters are locations are captivating.

Even if helping people is easy,
asking for help is a hurdle of it's own.
Kaoru Gojou

Apr 15, 2021 11:09 PM

Jan 2019
I quite like the realism of Oshimi Shuzo's style and the atmosphere he creates without any dialogue.
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the average anime fan"
Apr 16, 2021 12:25 AM

Mar 2021
For me, Slam Dunk.
the extra skater
Apr 16, 2021 12:31 AM
Jul 2018
I am not a huge fan of inio asano but I really like his art style.
Apr 16, 2021 1:23 AM

Mar 2020
berserk for sure it really captures the atmosphere and overall tone in the manga also one piece

Apr 21, 2021 12:16 AM
Mar 2016
Kono Oto Tomare
Daytime Shooting Star
Both Tokyo Ghoul mangas
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

159 by jaeo_k »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

388 by DeBritto »»
8 hours ago

» 50,000 Manga Titles Translated by AI Are Set to Come Overseas

deg - Yesterday

5 by Lucifrost »»
8 hours ago

» Name of this manhwa?

Notadmin - 9 hours ago

0 by Notadmin »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

5 by Zarutaku »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.