Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 17, 2020 6:15 AM
Apr 2020
YggdraSEED said:
ayaan692 said:

lol thats not a contradiction at all
so because you are a genius you cant be prideful?
you know that a lot of geniuses have a lot of pride right?
they have valid reasons for not confessing
miyuki is money and social standing wise inferior to kaguya which is why he wants to get confessed to so they could date as equals (thats literally what he said in s2 episode 4)
kaguya is extremely shy and wants miyuki to take the first step(episode 1)
so its not just pride thats holding them back
they are not as one dimensional as you think

Meh I find it forced, dumb and childish, especially when they're in freaking highschool already, these level of romance is the kind you'd see in a kid's show, the two main acts like elementary schoolers, smh I'm done

fair enough man if you dont find it interesting to watch 2 people experiencing their first love in highschool then more power to you
i would really suggest you watch kuzu no honkai
thats more your kind of highschool romance
May 17, 2020 5:25 PM

May 2018
ayaan692 said:
YggdraSEED said:

Meh I find it forced, dumb and childish, especially when they're in freaking highschool already, these level of romance is the kind you'd see in a kid's show, the two main acts like elementary schoolers, smh I'm done

fair enough man if you dont find it interesting to watch 2 people experiencing their first love in highschool then more power to you
i would really suggest you watch kuzu no honkai
thats more your kind of highschool romance

Or School Days maybe lmao. That shit is cool kid's romance.
May 17, 2020 5:31 PM

Mar 2020
Oh so that's the name of the anime, thank you. ;)
May 18, 2020 3:45 PM
May 2019
It f*cking sucks.......honestly, WAY over-rated.
May 18, 2020 3:45 PM
May 2019
May 18, 2020 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
oldotakudude said:

oldotakudude said:

we heard your piss poor criticism of the series the first time, no need to duplicate it.
May 19, 2020 11:56 AM
Jun 2019
It’s an absurd rom com with extreme scenarios that AREN’T anime cliches. Even if it’s nothing mind blowing, it has good execution.

Depending on your tastes the show could be a 10/10 or a 5/10. Even if the romance side of things doesn’t appeal, it can still be found pretty humorous. The seasons are short enough that if you’re curious you ought to give the first episode a shot.
May 19, 2020 3:39 PM

Sep 2019
Bruh this thread is so cringe lmao

Ot: People like different things, that’s it.
May 19, 2020 4:19 PM
May 2019
oldotakudude said:

Kaguya has higher score than your favorite anime ? Keep crying boy
May 19, 2020 4:57 PM

Feb 2019
Unique style of comedy, funny as hell, it's setting is so simple BUT well executed.
May 21, 2020 10:45 PM
Mar 2016
Nice balance of comedy, romance, and main cast. The cast has exceptional character development, and are all likable in their own unique ways. The anime isn't afraid of change either, as you will see if you track the gradual, but definitely noticeable change in the anime's atmosphere and character dynamic. Easily one of the better character comedies.
May 22, 2020 12:18 PM
Feb 2018
Iwatchanimemaybe said:
kadabra89 said:
Little to nothing is good about this show.

KSLIW is egregiously overrated. It’s nothing but a massive gimmick that I’m truly ashamed to see score so highly on this site. It’s an interesting enough premise that suffers from sudden, rapid-fire tone shifts that lack any weight for how often they happen, with a hammy overdose of stupid cheap drama that functions so far outside any realm of rationality it’s no longer orbiting anything in this galaxy.

The viewer gets to know the narrator on a much deeper level than the characters. Anime fans are notorious for *hating* info dumping, anything longer than 30 seconds of exposition and every anituber gripes and moans about how insulting it is to the viewer, but let a narrator info dump almost nonstop throughout the whole show and I guess that somehow warrants a score of 8.81/10 (somehow putting it above actual masterpieces like Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass and Princess Mononoke to name a few and just four placements down from Spirited Away).

The two main characters are only ever seen in one light. They both suffer from a bougie obsession with prestige that should be entirely intolerable to any regular person with a distaste for aristocracy. The pink haired girl is nothing but a fluffy moe nuisance trope that squeeks her way on screen to add nothing of substance.

KSLIW offers mediocre art & music with a mediocre highschool that stylistically speaks to some of the obnoxious fetishization of Western aristocracy seen elsewhere in anime that I won’t recommend.

The central point that I want to make though is that the humor only matters if you care about their prestige, which no one should, and their romance only matters if they offer something unique, which it doesn’t due to the tropiness of their personalities and only seeing them under one light in these micro circumstances so small a flea would probably brush it off as nothing but crumbs of a melodrama. That and the fact that just by speaking time the narrator has greater grounds to claim to being the real main character than any of the on screen characters.

The funniest part of this show is how overrated it is. Not total trash so it doesn’t
need to be a 1/10 (although I’ll mark it as such to help bring the overall score back to reality) but certainly migraine inducing mediocrity at 4/10.

Saying a show's bad because you hate it's comedic style of using a narrator like a hype-man is no different then ppl saying anime is trash because everyone has big eyes or Seinfeld is trash because it uses a laugh track. Just because they use a style you don't like doesn't make it a bad piece of writing.

It's not about being a style I don't like, it's that it is literally nonstop exposition dumping. It's insulting and boring whenever it happens in any show, this one just happens to go beyond using it as a crutch to making it the pillar this mediocre nonsense stands on.
May 23, 2020 1:06 PM

May 2015
SeinenJump said:
Iwatchanimemaybe said:

Saying a show's bad because you hate it's comedic style of using a narrator like a hype-man is no different then ppl saying anime is trash because everyone has big eyes or Seinfeld is trash because it uses a laugh track. Just because they use a style you don't like doesn't make it a bad piece of writing.

It's not about being a style I don't like, it's that it is literally nonstop exposition dumping. It's insulting and boring whenever it happens in any show, this one just happens to go beyond using it as a crutch to making it the pillar this mediocre nonsense stands on.

Are you watching the same show everyone else is? Because what you're saying isn't true in the slightest.

May 25, 2020 9:29 AM
Apr 2020
SeinenJump said:
Iwatchanimemaybe said:

If you watch past literally the first 2 episodes, there's plenty of storytelling done without the narrator.

The narrator is just a hype-man for the jokes like a sports commentator. You don't shit on the sports commentator for saying what you can see on your screen. Nobody says "no shit we can see them score a point stop screaming GOOAAL".

but if it's not for you it's not. Maybe try reading the manga, I found that the delivery in the manga format is more palatable to certain ppl. The series WAS originally a manga after all.
May 25, 2020 9:45 AM

Oct 2013
@SeinenJump, I know that feel. I consider that hype-narrator as something that really ruined the pace of Season 1 and was one if the most annoying elements of it. I don't mind having a theme of narrator who is hyping something from time to time and who does not steal a lot of time from actual action. Season 2 modified the narrator's role to something like that and I'm grateful for it, but I can also imagine people dropping Season 1 because of dumb inserts or awkward pacing.
May 25, 2020 5:52 PM

Jun 2013
I've been sitting on this show since it came out with S1 .
I saw it as "another high school anime .... " and never wanted to give it a chance.

Yet

I just gave the 3 episode rule to this show and found myself laughing out loud in the middle of the night . This is deserves all its hype . In a world of anime where few anime made my chuckle . This was just very refreshing
May 26, 2020 11:36 AM
Feb 2018
Adnash93 said:
@SeinenJump, I know that feel. I consider that hype-narrator as something that really ruined the pace of Season 1 and was one if the most annoying elements of it. I don't mind having a theme of narrator who is hyping something from time to time and who does not steal a lot of time from actual action. Season 2 modified the narrator's role to something like that and I'm grateful for it, but I can also imagine people dropping Season 1 because of dumb inserts or awkward pacing.

Yes. Thank you. This.
Since you said this I think I’ll give S2 a try to see if this problem I’m seeing gets resolved or at least improves.
May 26, 2020 7:51 PM

Oct 2013
SeinenJump said:
Yes. Thank you. This.
Since you said this I think I’ll give S2 a try to see if this problem I’m seeing gets resolved or at least improves.

Yeah, it's totally worth. I also didn't like those annoying inserts from narrator himself explaining basic stuff and ruining the pace. In fact, Season 2 has not only less of those inserts (and if there are longer ones then they are not that much annoying), but has also better pacing. Everything feels more dynamic and consistent.

There are also less (however they still appear) cringe moments like "how cute <Kaguya face looking with pity at Shirogane>".

As you managed to go through Season 1, you might give Season 2 another chance, because you will have definitely more fun from watching it than people not familiar with the plot from the previous season.

If I were to compare this situation to something, I would choose to compare it to Clannad. Like, After Story (season 2) is worth going through Clannad's 1st season, because that way you will have full experience of what After Story (which is better than Season 1) really offers. (I know some Clannad fans will not agree with me or even rage, but Clannad had really a lot of moments that made the entire show painful to watch for me, lol).
May 27, 2020 10:03 AM
Mar 2017
The anime is pretty great, hats off to A1 for doing great job for animation n soundtrack, this is one of the few anime out there whose Voice acting team really did a outstanding job.
Now moving to the story while its pretty ordinary story the execution is done really great, it like watching comedy Death Note series with twist and fun moment, as its seinin series its quite relatable to real life, in Season 1 the series usually focuses more on comedy and build up for the theme of the story and its introduction of the main cast, Season 2 onward is where this show outshines as there are great character development takes place in the show.While Kaguya is the main character , the other cast also gets a great character development which makes this show good.
May 28, 2020 9:08 AM
Oct 2018
YggdraSEED said:
ayaan692 said:

point is you claimed that he is dense which i answered you why he is not

this elementary stage of love makes sense for both since they never had any love interest before so obviously they would blush at small little things and behave immature at times.
actually showing this innocent love is much more interesting to watch than the
kuzu no honkai or domestic kanojo kind of "mature" romance

Okay so he's not dense, my point stands, they still won't confess for who knows how long the manga is gonna go probably 200+ chapters before one confesses or not until the manga is ending

And for them to be so genius they can't even let go of they pride wtf that's not being genius or smart at all that's being dumb, see it's contradictory, full of inconsistencies

You're just begging to be spoiled aren't you
Jun 8, 2020 4:57 AM

Nov 2019
ayaan692 said:
YggdraSEED said:

I think you guys are confusing dumb and dense

He is dense coz if he's not dense he would've realized Kaguya is in love with him the first 3 episodes of season 1

they both actually know they love each other
its just that they want to get confessed to instead of confessing themselves
thats the whole premise
so yeah i dont think he is dense

Bro, i just watched ep8 of S2

1. Kaguya doesn't even know what love is
2. She doesn't believe she's in love with anyone including kaichou
3. The doctor himself is telling her dumb a$$ her condition is lovesickness but she still thinks she just have some heart condition

So wtfdym "they both actually knew they love each other"

I gotta say u got me in the first half with that fake news

Both Kaguya and Shirogane are the epitome of denseness in anime
Jun 8, 2020 7:34 AM

Feb 2018
YggdraSEED said:
ayaan692 said:

they both actually know they love each other
its just that they want to get confessed to instead of confessing themselves
thats the whole premise
so yeah i dont think he is dense

Bro, i just watched ep8 of S2

1. Kaguya doesn't even know what love is
2. She doesn't believe she's in love with anyone including kaichou
3. The doctor himself is telling her dumb a$$ her condition is lovesickness but she still thinks she just have some heart condition

So wtfdym "they both actually knew they love each other"

I gotta say u got me in the first half with that fake news

Both Kaguya and Shirogane are the epitome of denseness in anime

Kaguya always thought he liked her until the Iino moment where she started to think "he's kind to anyone, maybe I'm not special, after all who would fall for someone like me?" and she never admitted to like him until a goddamn doctor tells her that. So, yeah, I'd call her stubborn but maybe she's dense. She's progressing though, have a little patience with her.

And there's literally a chapter where Shirogane checks if she likes him or not and it's gonna be the first episode of season 3, probably (could be in the last of this season, but I really doubt it). He always thought she liked him but due to something that happened on S2 ep 9 his conviction is shaken, so that's why he needs to check.

Still they are both aware of their games as we can she through their monologues and explicitly said in the fireworks arc, so saying that the two characters that know that they are playing a game to make the other confess are dense is a little weird for me. They're not sure why the other is playing, but they assume it's because the opponent has feelings for them and since they're "geniuses" of course they're not wrong. So, idk stupid, utter fools, immature, insecure, cringy, cowards... There are better words to describe this nonsense.
Jun 8, 2020 7:35 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Dense chara is normal for romance anime, nothing new to be surprising about.
I seen hundreds of anime with those dense MCs / heroines

WELCOME TO ROMCOM ANIME!
Jun 8, 2020 8:16 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
xkazutox said:
Dense chara is normal for romance anime, nothing new to be surprising about.
I seen hundreds of anime with those dense MCs / heroines

WELCOME TO ROMCOM ANIME!
They are not dense, not at all, they both have a reason to not to confess first.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jun 11, 2020 4:28 AM
Jul 2018
I didn't read all the replies in this thread, I am simply replying to the question. I thought the same thing...What's so good about this anime? I saw only some random episodes in season 1 and I found it very cute, nothing more than this. Anyway, lately I decided to try to read the manga and...MAN, I LOVE IT! Finally I can understand why so many people like this series so much. It isn't only based on gags. The story has some real character development and plot progression, in a very mature way. Also the side characters are very interesting, I can say that I like all of them. I fell in love with Ishigami Yu, finally I can understand why this character is so popular. He is so well written and realistic! I am really, really interested in his subplot, since while the story about Kaguya and Miyuki is written more like a brilliant romcom parody, the story about Yu is written way more realistically. I love both the styles of storytelling, but I guess I am more invested in Yu's subplot since it is more mature and adult, and I can't wait for more content about it.
So yeah, this manga deserves all the praise it is getting, and since the anime is a faithful adaptation, probably I will rewatch all the episodes properly.
Smart humor, great characters, clever dialogues, and many emotions.
removed-userJun 11, 2020 4:33 AM
Aug 12, 2020 9:56 AM
Feb 2020
if im being honest,the good thing about the anime is the budget i mean production,they get the best VA for the character specially kaguya,i swear to you i dont care about kaguya character at all in the manga,she is the most boring,uninteresting compared to the rest of main cast,but somehow they make it interesting with her VA,so yeah the anime its production,the manga its anything fun other than the main "battle of love"<<yeah this thing is boring compared to the other thing.
Aug 12, 2020 2:06 PM

Apr 2015
Why this show is so praised is something that I'll never understand. I watched many many animes and this is the first show ever that I call really "overrated". Second season is actually fine but first season was a solid 3/10 for me, highly annoying characters, jokes with terrible direction and that stupid narrator wtf
Aug 12, 2020 2:15 PM

Jun 2020
It's a unique take on rom-com, it's not generic in any way and adds a little psychological twist on your average rom-com. There's also heartwarming moments that make you wanna tear up~ I will not spoil.
There's also

Also Hayasaka and Kaguya are the best.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

256 by sainazrb »»
May 9, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2020

366 by Assassin2112 »»
May 2, 7:03 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Jun 20, 2020

665 by aoo-kun »»
Mar 31, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

291 by kayiu102 »»
Feb 25, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai?: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Stray - May 23, 2020

304 by ZeStark »»
Feb 21, 6:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.