Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 13, 2020 12:08 AM

Oct 2017
ive seen people say "the chimera ant arc is painfully slow and overrated" a few times when discussing unpopular opinions. is it really an unpopular opinion? personally, i loved it. SPOILER WARNINGS FOR CHIMERA ANT ARC(?) (this is the first topic ive created so im not entirely sure if i need to make spoiler warnings like that. i feel like it should be obvious, but better safe than sorry. if i did something wrong let me know so that i can learn)
Mar 13, 2020 12:21 AM

Jun 2016
No I feel like it's perfectly paced. The hunter exam arc on the other hand is boring garbage and the worst way to open a show and it can go to hell.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 13, 2020 12:25 AM
Jan 2012
It's less about the arc being slow, but more about it being slow compared to the rest of the arcs. The pacing isn't spectacular or anything, but compared to other Shounens it's still pretty decent with the amount of content that arc has.

Also the Chimera Ant arc being slow might not really be an unpopular opinion, but the arc being overrated is still very much an unpopular opinion, people love the hell out of that arc.
Mar 13, 2020 12:57 AM

Jul 2019
It was slow, at least in my opinion. There was no need for it too last 60 episodes when it had just one interesting theme (Komugi and Meruems relationship) and one epic fight (Meruem vs Netero).
Mar 13, 2020 1:12 AM

Aug 2015
What makes it slow is the narrator. There are episodes that are entirely slowed down because they kept the dude explaining each movement or thought the characters had. When it works, it's brilliant, when it does not, it feels dragged out.

A good example of this is the scene of the old dudes descending from heaven. That scene is majestic.
A bad example is when Killua is looking at his grandpa. It's almost two episodes of Killua just looking at Zeno, that's it.

For me the arc is perfect in terms of pacing up until the palace's invasion. When the raid commences, everything slows down a lot.
Mar 13, 2020 1:32 AM

Oct 2019
the only thing i find annoying in that arc was the narrator, he's a pain in the ass.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2020 1:37 AM

Jul 2012
I think much like the rest of the series the pacing isn't consistent so it's hard to say. Given the amount of build up for example the ending felt incredibly rushed and sudden which I would say is a trait shared with other arcs like Yorknew and Greed Island.
But there are notable standout sections where the pacing slowed to a crawl, like that episode where they spent almost the entire time narrating the characters running up a flight of stairs. It often falls into a trap of tell not show for many of the action sequences in particular. Also the side note that they shifted an entire setting mid-arc. Essentially meaning they had to not only establish the new setting but a transition as well as a bunch of other side content which really messes up the pacing when focusing on a single arc.
Mar 13, 2020 8:23 AM

Feb 2010
Nah it's damn near perfect, my favorite arc from the show. And the narrator is good too. If he wasn't there people would have complained why the characters are doing all the exposition themselves while they fight, which is something people always criticize. So one way or the others haters would be hating is what I think.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 13, 2020 9:09 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah, the arc didn't really live up to the hype, too.
Mar 13, 2020 9:15 AM
Jul 2018
holy shit its so slow that it makes me want to claw my eyes out (your vote)

It's been on-hold for a year now. The day I finish it will be a day for much rejoicing.
Mar 13, 2020 9:20 AM

Sep 2019
No. For me, it's all good. I don't even know which part of the chimera ant arc is slow and boring. It's perfectly paced tbh. I enjoy the whole arc from the beginning till the end. If you watch it on weekly basis when it aired.... well it might be slow. But since i binged the whole thing in days. I didn't feel that it's slow or anything.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Mar 13, 2020 9:23 AM

Jul 2016
Theo1899 said:
No I feel like it's perfectly paced. The hunter exam arc on the other hand is boring garbage and the worst way to open a show and it can go to hell.

I actually liked the hunter exam,i found it quite entertaining.The heavens arena arc on the other hand is the one that feels much more boring to me.In the hunter exam there were tons of other participants,while the heavens arena arc is pretty much exclusively focused on Gon and Killua.
SummerynMar 13, 2020 9:26 AM
Mar 13, 2020 9:29 AM

Dec 2015
The first time I watched the Chimera Arc, I thought it was boring, the only reason why I more or less finished it was beacuse I wanted to see Gon as a grown up as someone had showed me a few pictures of him.

But, yes. It was really slow vs the another arcs. The second time I watched HxH i droppet it around the time when the teleport guy started to lose his hair.

The third time, I watch it, I enjoyed it far more.
Greed Island and Chimera ant arc woud be my favorites arc's from HxH now.

But it did take me 3x times before I started to enjoy the last arc, but it might be beacuse my taste have changed through the years.

Mar 13, 2020 9:32 AM

Oct 2018
Thread moved to the Hunter x Hunter (2011) subboard
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Mar 13, 2020 1:56 PM

Oct 2017
23 to 21. i didnt expect it to be this close
Mar 13, 2020 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
Yes it was that slow.

Actually I wouldn't mind it being slow if only the arc wasn't atrociously boring and stupid.
Mar 28, 2020 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I must agree that the narrator at first really annoyed me -since he wasn't there in the other arcs-, and I indeed find the beginning pretty slow, BUT however I think the narrator is actually really useful! He explains what each character is doing and feeling, and since there is a lot of action at the same time at different places with different characters, without the narrator we'll totally be lost..

Take a look at this youtube video in which someone put every clip of the Palace Invasion without any narrative pause.. It's just a mess LMAO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTvK1REi8t4
Aug 24, 2020 7:37 PM
Aug 2020
The slow motion and monologuing was disgustingly obnoxious, obviously used to draw out the plots into complete Oblivion, I ended up not caring about much because it's all meaningless.
Aug 25, 2020 8:56 PM

Jan 2014
Is the CAA slow? Yes. I mean, just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjiHClo2rmc that's the entire palace invasion all at once and it's less than 5 minutes, for what takes several episodes.

However, the slow pace is PERFECT for what it's trying to do. It's slow, but not TOO slow. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and was never bored once.
Aug 27, 2020 12:58 PM
Jan 2020
It was very slow and painful to watch
they should start the arc in the Meruem and Komugi moments and cancel some episode from the end.
this arc could have been like 20 episodes at most but they put many pointless episodes in it, i absolutly don't get the hype about this arc.
Aug 29, 2020 4:06 AM
Mar 2020
Tbh I didn't like most of the arc they legit dropped all the characters except the main ones I didn't like the pacing it takes up half the show but god damn the last episode of the arc with Komugi and Meruem dying together made the whole fucking thing worth it.
Aug 29, 2020 4:09 AM
Mar 2020
I legit remember thinking to myself okay so the arc is ending at episode 100 and we get 48 episodes of hisoka and the phantom troupe and the more the arc kept dragging on the more and more i got worried the arc ends at ep 135 basically the end of the show wtf. the whole arc is about fucking ants you could've created a threat to humanity that wasn't fucking ants.
Sep 10, 2020 5:20 PM
Nov 2014
Theo1899 said:

You call the best arc in the anime garbage? It's the most balanced arc in the entire show as opposed to the chimera arc, which is so painfully slow that I want to gouge my eyes out of my eye sockets.
Nov 3, 2020 12:01 PM
Jul 2020
Yeah, I felt like it was slow at times. It's still really good, though.
Dec 4, 2020 12:58 AM
Oct 2019
Hrybami said:
Yes it was that slow.

Actually I wouldn't mind it being slow if only the arc wasn't atrociously boring and stupid.

Haha. Spitting facts.
Jul 28, 2021 1:21 AM
Jul 2021
Personally, I felt that the author's lines could have been deleted. Because of that, when it reached the raid by the Hunters, I felt it became too slow over there. Plus most of the best scenes are extended to multiple episodes to carry the Hype but because four fights are going parallel, the watcher might feel super angry because of constant jumps from one fight to another. Still, I like HxH and I don't feel it is too slow compared to stupid fillers in some series. There are not many fillers to disturb the watcher.
Jul 28, 2021 11:56 AM
May 2020
Not too slow but it is definetely slow but for a reason
Jul 28, 2021 1:37 PM

Aug 2019
About half a dozen episodes too slow.
Jul 28, 2021 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
No, Chimera Ant arc has great pacing.
Jul 28, 2021 11:39 PM

Aug 2020
Idk if it's only me, but as I was rewatching the series it doesn't felt slow really. Sure there were parts that felt dragged, but overall the pacing was decent. I binged it so there's that.

The slow take really helped the arc develop further imo. The writing's such a gold mine.

Jul 29, 2021 3:34 AM

Feb 2020
Yes it is extremely slow at times and the annoying narrator makes some episodes hard to watch.
Jul 30, 2021 8:00 AM

Apr 2021
Nope IMO it has great pacing it's just that the monsters part was a little slow and boring and the final battle were amazing the only thing bad was the narration it felt like the show was trying to make the show longer but other than that everything was nicely paced
Aug 2, 2021 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
i dont think its TOO slow
but it is a little slow compared to other arcs
Jan 3, 10:54 PM
Mar 2016
I got to agree. it's too slow. more like SUPER SLOW. it's like 1 second = 1 hour on purpose. too many episode with huge recap of previous episode took pretty much 25% of the episode exclude OP and ED. Recap that we don't need. some scene I even see slow motion slow down the speed. just a glare and just a the eye turning to the left took more than 3 minutes. Yeah keeping saying that is not slow. 60 episodes for 1 single arc. are you kidding me? 48 episodes = 1 year of airing an long running continuous anime. 1 year + 1 seasons to complete 1 arc.
Jan 4, 4:46 AM

Jul 2017
It took a series that I was sort of liking (especially loved the Yorknew portion a lot) and made it extremely painful and frustrating to watch. This might be the most frustrated I have been with watching an arc in anime besides maybe the Bount arc in Bleach. There were one or two aspects of this that I liked but overall, it was nowhere near enough to redeem the arc for me. A huge part of why I much prefer the original anime over the 2011 one is mainly because of not dealing with the crap that the Chimera Ant arc had (plus I preferred the direction and style of the original one too). Didn't help that the characters were not that interesting or fun for me either with the exception of Meruem and Komugi's interactions from time to time. I did rewatch the 2011 anime a few years later and still felt the same way. The extra narration only made me more and more frustrated and almost raging with this.
Jan 4, 4:56 AM

Apr 2016
There are times that it is slow, but some of them are just perfectly balanced.
Jan 7, 6:27 AM

Dec 2012
Reply to animejas
It took a series that I was sort of liking (especially loved the Yorknew portion a lot) and made it extremely painful and frustrating to watch. This might be the most frustrated I have been with watching an arc in anime besides maybe the Bount arc in Bleach. There were one or two aspects of this that I liked but overall, it was nowhere near enough to redeem the arc for me. A huge part of why I much prefer the original anime over the 2011 one is mainly because of not dealing with the crap that the Chimera Ant arc had (plus I preferred the direction and style of the original one too). Didn't help that the characters were not that interesting or fun for me either with the exception of Meruem and Komugi's interactions from time to time. I did rewatch the 2011 anime a few years later and still felt the same way. The extra narration only made me more and more frustrated and almost raging with this.
@animejas I pretty much agree with what you said I loved 99 especially how each arc had its unique atmosphere and 2011 kinda made me angry especially with a narrator slowing everything down. I remember that one episode of the invasion where the whole episode was about sneaking up the staircase and 90% of the episode was the narrator speaking.
Feb 15, 4:47 PM

Sep 2019
60 episodes, 40% of HxH was wasted on an arc about insects with no Kurapika or Hisoka in it. Yes it was really slow, we didn't need this excesive narration, we didn't need all these episodes of random low level insects being introduced just to be killed, we didn't need that fking dog who wanted to be "king behind the scenes" be given any more than five minutes of screen time.
If you take out most of the battles against the random low level insects and keep just a few for the sake of introducing us to the arc, and if you take out all the narration you could get a CAA with just 30 episodes. You don't need narration at all, look at Bleach tybw, no narration & fast paced battles makes it more intense and enjoyable because it's over shortly after it starts so you don't get bored of it. If Bleach tybw had the same pacing as the CAA then those first 7 episodes would have been drawn out to at least 20 with this fking narrator eplaining every little detail.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
Today, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
Today, 3:58 AM

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.