Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 5, 2020 6:51 AM
Aug 2018
A hurricane railed through my city and I was left without power for a week. To pass the time I would go to McDonalds for their wifi and download Naruto onto my phone because I had always thought it looked cool. I spent all night and day watching it and thought it was sick asf so I would go to McD’s like 3 times a day to download more episodes.
Mar 5, 2020 7:09 AM
Jun 2014
I used to watch Sailor moon, Dragon ball z and Pokemon as kid then stopped for a good 5 - 10 years. During high school my friend would not stop recommending One Piece and decided to check it out, I've been hooked on anime ever since.
Mar 5, 2020 7:12 AM

Aug 2015
When I was little, I watched anime unknowingly, used to watch Pokemon, Yugioh and Bakugan but I didn't know they were anime at the time.

Told my friend I was bored when I was 15 and he was like, try watching some anime. Watched Bebop, hated it at the time, watched Samurai Champloo and I fucking loved it. Just kinda went from there.
LoknirMar 5, 2020 7:16 AM

Mar 5, 2020 7:26 AM

Sep 2019
It was my eternal guilty pleasure, Gundam Seed, that I thank for getting me into this media.

Who knew giant robots and nudity would get a young boy into something like this... and then follow by Naruto, then watching To-Love Ru online, and then completely blowing those doors away to some actual good anime.

What a fresh time that was.

EDIT: OH RIGHT, and Grave of the Fireflies yanked feels outta me during 7th grade.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 5, 2020 8:00 AM

Dec 2018
A friend had started watching anime but I didn’t really want to get into it. Randomly one day while browsing YouTube, an episode of that same anime that my friend was talking about popped up in my suggested feed. I was bored so I gave it a watch and now I’m here.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Mar 5, 2020 9:03 AM

Jul 2011
Don't know tbh. I've been watching it ever since I was a kid. It's just one of my hobbies even tho I don't really watch it anymore besides a few shows I still enjoy it.

Mar 5, 2020 9:16 AM

Dec 2008
I started watching anime, because it was a new entertainment for me. Simple as that......, bro.
Mar 5, 2020 9:20 AM

Feb 2020
My 6 year old self just wanted something fun to watch, so I found yugioh.
Mar 5, 2020 9:42 AM

May 2018
because it's all my internet friend would post about so i was intrigued.

SPRING

Mar 5, 2020 9:54 AM

Nov 2019
Because I found out Kissan*me exists, and I didn't have Netflix ;-;
Mar 5, 2020 10:03 AM

Aug 2018
I'm pretty old, so I got into anime very gradually via 90s JRPGs like Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star and Shining Force. The stories were great but not only that, there was a certain something about those big-eyed girls in games like Valis III that adolescent me found irresistible. Still do, after all these years.
Mar 5, 2020 10:05 AM
Aug 2018
I got into it due to the silvagunner love live rips, particularly the most popular one (the flintstones choir)
Mar 5, 2020 10:06 AM

Jul 2017
I used to be a pretty big Pokemon fan as a really young lad. Then one day when I got sent to this Church Camp by my parents I noticed this dude had a Snorlax and Pikachu wallpaper by chance and ended up talking to him. He ended up expanding Pokemon out into Anime for me by showing me Sword Art Online. Ever since then I've really only branched out and continued watching.
Mar 5, 2020 10:18 AM

Oct 2014
because i was a kid and it's a common thing for kids to watch cartoons. cartoon network (american tv channel) started broadcasting some anime during that time and i liked what i saw. been watching ever since for 15 years.
Mar 5, 2020 10:18 AM

Jul 2019
I don't even know why. I always watched animations as a kid like Pokemon and Yugioh but I started watching seriously in grade eight when I rewatched Attack on Titan and watched Yuri on Ice. But now, I just watch because it gives me joy
Mar 5, 2020 10:19 AM

Jan 2018
I broke my leg, asked a friend a show to watch on Netflix while I was in bed, he told me that i should watch HOTD, and yeah now I'm a filthy weeb ffs
Mar 5, 2020 12:10 PM
Jan 2020
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure made me curious. After finishing the series, I started venturing deeper.
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

Mar 5, 2020 1:05 PM
Feb 2020
In fact i was born in France and there mangas and animes are really popular so i got into it like at 4 years old watching dragon ball z and other popular animes like yu gi oh on tv then i started to read mangas with naruto and i never stopped since then. I also was really curious about it because i m half french and japanese .
Sorry if my english is not perfect
Mar 5, 2020 1:09 PM
Nov 2016
It was and is still better than in that specific time's present cartoons
Mar 5, 2020 1:23 PM

Jul 2015
I was like 7 when I saw naruto on tv and everything started with that day...
Naruto started everything XD After naruto I was like 11 and saw one piece opening 13 on youtube, I liked song, characters, but was confused ofc XD then I started watching one piece and was amazed really, but couldn't understand it's style for a while.... So Basically Naruto and One Piece was my first animes tho haha, But worst day in my life was the day I decided to watch SAO (13 yo)... XD DBZ changed my taste of anime tho.... cos of dbz I started "OLD SCHOOL" animes like yu yu hakusho, hokuto no ken, Saint Seiya and etc.

oh and manga I started cos of Naruto, I saw on facebook that Tobi was obito so I checked that chapter, was hard to understand at first time, but really liked it....
BrawlerJoeMar 5, 2020 1:29 PM
Mar 5, 2020 1:28 PM

Feb 2019
My evil evil evil friend one day said "HEY! You gotta check out this dark horror manga called Tokyo Ghoul. Just read it then watch it, and trust me."

And now I'm a weeb.
Mar 5, 2020 1:31 PM
Feb 2015
I was honestly hooked on Suigintou's (Rozen Maiden) character and fell in love with the anime. After that I wanted to watch more and thats how my addiction began
Mar 5, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2016
All my friends liked anime and they tried to get me into it, plus osu! back in the day got me to watch some things, while during 2014-2017 I didn't really find many of the recommendations from them that great and or some of the things I watched because of osu! I didn't care for it wasn't until about 2018 I actually started watching more than like 3 anime a year.
Mar 5, 2020 2:57 PM

May 2018
My cousins were watching anime and I thought it could be interesting, I was more into games on this time. Watching anime was fun so I continued seeking for other titles.
Mar 5, 2020 5:56 PM
Sep 2018
One time I was watching a video called "Time Travel in Fiction Rundown" (e.g: Back to the future) and while looking at the comments I saw that some people commented the lack of an analysis of Steins;Gate. I got curious and started wacthing the series, I loved it. Then I read the visual novels, then I traded my humanity and lost my self in the void which anime is.
Mar 5, 2020 6:02 PM

Sep 2008
I was watching tv, and samurai pizza cats was on.
how I started watching anime consciously? I have no clue, probably a friend recommended it.
how I got REALLY into anime? I watched eva and got hooked.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 5, 2020 6:16 PM
May 2019
This is kinda a two part answer for me.

I started watching anime when I was a kid, because it was what was on TV. specifically Dragon ball/DBZ was on spanish tv before even the toonami days. And then stuff like Pokemon, Digimon etc and the stuff that was played on toonami in the early 2000s.

when I entered my early teens I got away from it because the TV format tired me out. I came back to watching anime when I was 18 again because I wanted to rewatch the anime I watched as a Kid, like DBZ, cowboy Bebop. etc.
NicDwolfwoodMar 5, 2020 6:19 PM
Mar 5, 2020 6:21 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Why did I start watching anime? Because it was there... on TV.
Mar 5, 2020 6:21 PM
Sep 2019
I didn't even know I was watching anime when first did. Was just watching cartoons in general and then BAM! TOONAMI! Was introduced to Pokemon and Dragonball. YuGiOh and Naruto later on.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Mar 5, 2020 6:36 PM

Sep 2019
I kept hearing how good it was. So I watched Fate/Zero. I got very interested and watched Sao and got hooked.
Mar 5, 2020 6:53 PM

May 2016
Because the toaster wouldn't toadt my bread until I agreed to watch anime. 😳

In all seriousness, my journey to the dork side began when Cartoon Network aired Akira at midnight. This was pre-toonami, in '95 or '96.
It's worth noting I'd watched anime before, such as Speed Racer, Voltron, Transformers, and so forth. Akira, however, was the first 'japanimation' I went into knowing what it was.
Not long after, The Sci-Fi Channel starting airing anime like Green Legend Ran and Ghost in the Shell. Then I found several anime at Blockbuster; namely Venus Wars and Demon City Shinjuku.
Of course, Toonami happened, giving us DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Yu Yu Hakusho, and so forth. I also saw Pokemon for the first time in March of '99. I know this because I remember watching it for the first time in the hospital waiting room as my nephew was being born.
But it wasn't until Adult Swim premiered Cowboy Bebop that I truly became more than a 'filthy casual'. After that, I managed to acquire the means to watch the original Dragon Ball and Slayers. I was pretty much hooked after that point. 😁
THE-Black-MageMar 5, 2020 7:01 PM
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
Mar 5, 2020 6:55 PM

Jun 2019
I was mesmerized by Original Pokemon when I was a growing up, after that I started to find and watch more and more. But for some reason watching anime impacts me like nothing else can.
Mar 5, 2020 8:35 PM

Dec 2018
mid 2018, but i slowed down a lot since 2020
Mar 5, 2020 8:40 PM

Aug 2018
I started watching anime because of my best friend . He said to me "Bro look what I've found," and i liked it so much, then started.
Mar 5, 2020 8:41 PM

Aug 2019
My friend got me into anime. I watched anime before but I wasn't into it as I'd watch whatever I ran into on TV or online. He gave me a list of anime to watch and if I told him I hadn't watched them, then he'd force me to watch at his place. Out of all the anime he showed me, Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Attack on Titan were the ones that I liked the most. After I saw those I knew I needed to keep looking for good stories.
Mar 5, 2020 8:50 PM

Mar 2018
When I was maybe 10 and REALLY into Invader Zim (yeah, I was that kinda kid), my older sister stopped my episode, that I was pirating on the family Windows XP computer, to show me this cool show her friend introduced her to. The best part? It was all free on Youtube! The episodes were just uploaded into 3 parts each, but I was hooked after the first part. Since then, Death Note has held a special place in my heart.

I think the thing that REALLY kept me going and interested in anime, though, was when my sister introduced me to my second anime. Bit of backstory. Growing up, I had a super toxic, masculine mindset. I always thought I couldn't cry or be feminine in any way. I had to be strong!! I couldn't be compared to my sister, who loved pink and cute things, which happened a lot when I was younger.

Back on track, my sister pulls me aside when I'm maybe half way through Death Note (which I stopped around episode 27-30. Didn't finish it until 6 years later lmao). She takes me into her room and says she wants to show me this anime that was streaming on Netflix, which we just got. She skips the opening and tells me that I'm not allowed to walk away until I finish the first episode, because she knows I'll like it.

Her iPod Touch's screen is filled with roses and pretty boys dressed in lavender suits, and at this point I'm not sure why she thought I'd like this girly show? I keep watching, because what other choice do I have, and man oh man, was my entire world view challenged. Haruhi Fujioka single-handedly helped me accept my more feminine side, helped me realize that gender was stupid, and, while not Haruhi herself, Ouran as a whole helped me form my desired gender expression of "Mid-2000s Bishie Who Also Wore Dresses And Could Get Away With It". Ouran's one of those shows that was the perfect thing for me at the time, and it's still one of my favorite shows.

After watching that, I sunk DEEEEP into anime for a solid three years. Fell out of it for a couple years (got really into video game youtubers and video games in general), watched a couple shows weekly (Erased, One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Dangan Ronpa), and eventually fell back into it in like late 2015 when ramalam99 started showing me shows that were big (NGNL and Fate/Zero are the ones that come to mind). Now, I'm out here like "OH NO!! this is my life".
Mar 5, 2020 9:01 PM

Jul 2019
eekeen said:
As the title suggests, why did you start watching anime / start reading manga?
back then, before i became a "weeb", i only watch dragon ball z and naruto then watch anime again when super came out ( i took large break watching naruto) and over a while, when Super reached it's finale and boruto fucking sucks ass, i decided to enter the anime scene, y'know watch more anime and as for manga well... i read it because why not
Mar 5, 2020 9:21 PM

Apr 2010
Pullman said:
Wow, everyone has some kind of specific origin story. Am I the only one who just grew up loving anime and animation and kinda naturally started watching it more and more as I got older? I can't remember a time when I was not in love with comics and animation and anime is just one (big) subset of that interest that I was always gonna end up watching.

The only thing that changed over time was that I went from not knowing that there are different types of animation as a kid and watching european, american and japanese animated series alongside each other to a young teen who knew what anime meant and watched as much of it as I could find on TV to an older teen who discovered the internet and learned about torrenting and MAL and started to amp up the anime consumption even more.

No you're not the only one. I fall into that category as well. I grew up watching Canadian and American Cartoons. Then when Anime got big in the West around the late 90s I got more and more into it, I found myself then renting Anime Vhs/dvd's and watching them on T.V quite a bit. Then around 2005-2006 when I was a teen I started to find out more about downloading Anime on the internet. Those were the days.. Downloading those Avi and RMVB files ( I doubt a lot of people on MAL even know what RMVB is, it's been long dead lol). Then around 2008 when HD codecs started getting more popular Ohh man, what a game changer. Couldn't go back to those super compressed video files again after that. Younger Anime fans got it so good and easy now days. Everything that comes out is now subbed. When back in the day if it wasn't fan subbed or legally licensed you weren't seein that shit. But yet again the guys growing up in the VHS fan sub era probably think I had it super easy so oh well.
ZeroflamezMar 5, 2020 9:25 PM
Mar 5, 2020 9:44 PM

Sep 2018
When I was like 9 I thought anime was COOL and people would think I’m AWESOME and TASTEFUL for liking anime.
Note that my definition of cool at the time was like. Shiny Pokémon-having kid with a Zelda tshirt. I was a fuckin dweeb

Now I’m a sad weeb who enriches his life with animated women. At least it’s a nice way to escape the world and be a part of an interesting story. I’ve always been into consuming art, films, music etc and analyzing it and finding what it means to me, and anime is no exception.
Mar 5, 2020 10:42 PM

Aug 2016
when I was little, I only watch pokemon, naruto, dragonball,..I didn't know they were "anime". Then I saw an AMV of Chuu2byou called "A symphony of justice" and really liked it, I searched for the show and watched it. After that I started watching other anime
Mar 5, 2020 10:47 PM

May 2015
I grew up in Japan, and when all the channels were in Japanese where I understood nothing, I would watch what most kids were attracted to on TV: Animation.
Mar 5, 2020 10:48 PM

May 2013
Back in 2012 I got expelled from my highschool. Took me 2 weeks to get all situated into the local delinquent school so I had alot of free time.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 5, 2020 11:04 PM

Aug 2017
Wanted to see some anime-titties and fan-service.

Mar 5, 2020 11:56 PM

Jul 2016
I was REALY bored of games back then and my friends were talking about naruto in class and told me to watch it, I finished it in a few days and i loved it
Mar 6, 2020 2:17 AM
Dec 2018
In high school, two of the dudes in the Computer Club - aka the play Duke Nukem and Quake during lunch club (I know I'm aging myself) - wanted to start an Anime Club. They needed more members to make it an official club so they asked me and a few other guys to join.

We watched Escaflowne on VHS. When I showed interest in watching more anime, one of they guys let me borrow his DVD player and his copies of the Tenchi Muyo OVAs and Ninja Scroll. I eventually downloaded Evangelion on my own after hearing so much about it. At this point I was hooked.

So basically, I started watching because my friends needed to hit a quota before the school would lend them A/V equipment. I kept watching because anime was different from anything American TV had to offer.

On a side note, I mostly stopped watching anime between around 2010 and 2016, because it started feeling like a lot of the new shows were just rehashes of the same old stuff. Anime got samey, so I stopped watching. The only reason I picked anime up again is because some of the guys at work wanted to start an anime club...
Mar 6, 2020 2:42 AM

Oct 2008
I saw a trailer of "Shaman King" on TV in 2005. It looked interesting, so I started watching it and liked it a lot.
Mar 6, 2020 3:37 AM
Mar 2020
I saw the first Anime which was a Vampir Anime "Vampire Knight" dubbed in English and watched it like a thousand times after the first time. So this was my first step into the Anime worlds.
How did I start reading Mangas? I was watching an Anime, very enthusiastically, "Kaichou wa maid sama", which was only animated to a limited chapter as episodes. When I was kept hanging in the middle of the story at the last episodes, I was quite frustrated and needed to learn the story further. This is how I jumped to Mangas, which was very satisfying :)
Mar 6, 2020 4:14 AM

May 2019
because SAO
i was bored and i was just searching here and there then SAO suddenly appeared and i was like dam this shit is fire
after that i start looking for things like SAO and found out its called anime etc...
AskaaMar 6, 2020 4:37 AM
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Mar 6, 2020 4:16 AM

Feb 2014
Because I've always liked animation, but western cartoons and CGI movies, with their "animation is kids stuff" mindset and the lack of any overarching plot (with the exception of a rare few), weren't working for me anymore. I wanted to watch animation that actually took advantage of the freedom the medium offered to tell a wider variety of stories and not just children's comedies.
Mar 6, 2020 4:30 AM

Jul 2014
Because it looked far better than the fight scenes I see from action shows/movies back when I was a kid?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beach episode, hot spring episode or pool episode?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by SuperAdventure »»
7 minutes ago

» when introducing yourself to someone new how likely is "I watch anime" to get them interested in you?

Coldsp33d - Today

30 by Rinrinka »»
8 minutes ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - Today

36 by Toooooooooohru »»
9 minutes ago

» Are Risqué Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

16 by Dragevard »»
18 minutes ago

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - Today

39 by SuperAdventure »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.