Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »
Feb 21, 2020 6:19 PM

Dec 2018
Some of us arent actually "following an agenda" and just have actual grievances with the site. Being dismissive and condescending is a pretty great way to look like an elitist jerk.

The site has always had flaws and issues that we have known about for years, the problem is that (as has been demonstrated by this staff) there is no interest in listening to criticism and instead everything just becomes an echo chamber for the white kinghts.

People like Hei and Nux end up getting huge bandwagons because normal people get sucked in from finally hearing someone acknowledge all the problems they have been experiencing.

There are droves of people in this thread alone that keep blindly defending inherently flawed or corrupt systems, dismissing criticism as just being from people that are part of a wave of incoming outsiders.

Perhaps there is the actual flaw in the site and its community? The reason most people who know about this site dont use it, and those who do "use" it are like me and dont feel compelled to be a part of the community.
Feb 21, 2020 9:15 PM

Jan 2008
ZetaZ98 said:
Some of us arent actually "following an agenda" and just have actual grievances with the site. Being dismissive and condescending is a pretty great way to look like an elitist jerk.

The site has always had flaws and issues that we have known about for years, the problem is that (as has been demonstrated by this staff) there is no interest in listening to criticism and instead everything just becomes an echo chamber for the white kinghts.

People like Hei and Nux end up getting huge bandwagons because normal people get sucked in from finally hearing someone acknowledge all the problems they have been experiencing.

There are droves of people in this thread alone that keep blindly defending inherently flawed or corrupt systems, dismissing criticism as just being from people that are part of a wave of incoming outsiders.

Perhaps there is the actual flaw in the site and its community? The reason most people who know about this site dont use it, and those who do "use" it are like me and dont feel compelled to be a part of the community.

Criticism of MAL is allowed on MAL. Think about that for a second, cause last time I checked most forums moderate users into oblivion for criticism.

ZetaZ98 said:
Meanwhile the actual rating itself is still structurally flawed while the statistics have been rendered even more irrelevant. Why not just drop site-wide ratings all together at this point? Keep it at user-level ratings, confine it to just a display on their page and their review of the show, and stop reporting skewed results for the site overall. Like you said in your own post, this is nothing new, what you chose to leave out is how this is something that has been coming from your end as much as people on the community side.

How would that make things better?
StrayfeFeb 21, 2020 9:20 PM
𝘔𝘢𝘥𝘢𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬. 𝘈 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴. 𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬.
Feb 21, 2020 9:22 PM

Jun 2008
ZetaZ98 said:

Are there flaws in MAL? Absolutely.

Is the recent system to fix vote brigading one of them? No. But that's what everyone is complaining about.
Feb 21, 2020 10:40 PM
Feb 2020
DeathTheKid4 said:
Animukas13 said:

Oh yeah sure. Using words like 'bark' and saying I automatically fallow some kind of agenda just because I'm new here totally meant to be an praise. Dont make me laugh.

I didn't praise you either though.

Then stop searching for opportunities for an fight and be all white knight like.
Feb 22, 2020 1:40 AM
May 2017
So because I like a show and feel that it is something unique and wonderful amongst all the cliche clones... just because others brigade it. My vote becomes meaningless.

That’s great. Way to be fair. Why not give a workaround such as requiring an actual short and unique review to count.

These so called brigades also raise awareness ad make people discover things. If they then agree with such views though. They can;t be counted?

Way to push your views on others and oppress free expression MAL
Feb 22, 2020 2:00 AM

Aug 2016
How something like granbelm lose more than 0.12 https://myanimelist.net/anime/39417/Granbelm?q=gra
Feb 22, 2020 2:03 AM
Feb 2020
Sorreh said:
How something like granbelm lose more than 0.22 https://myanimelist.net/anime/39417/Granbelm?q=gra

Isn't that the anime where people flip out that mecha has chest and curves?
Feb 22, 2020 2:42 AM

Apr 2016
Gr8 job buddyz
Feb 22, 2020 2:54 AM

Mar 2016
Wtf is going on here anymore?
The Pickled Cactus Himself.
Feb 22, 2020 4:00 AM

Jan 2013
GoodZoom said:

Nothing much, basically since it is clear a vote brigade happened, the "critics" have moved the goalpost.
Feb 22, 2020 5:35 AM

Oct 2013
MattheusHellion said:
Jeivee said:

No, not even close.

You can't just say that something like Mob Psycho 100 and Mob Psycho 100 S2 should have shared scores.
That something like One Punch Man and One Punch Man S2 should have shared scores.
That something like Clannad and Clannad: After Story should have shared scores.

A single season can be way different from their sequels. Some were exceptionally better, some were a huge disappointment. And remember, people rate most OVAs way lower than the main show. (e.g. Shokugeki no Soma)

Freeing 10 slots from the Top 50 just to fuck with hundreds of other anime? No, it's not worth it.

I disagree. Seasons are often just one or two arcs. The source material is viewed and judged as a whole so why shouldn't the same apply to anime and if some seasons are worse then their prequels or vice versa for reasons related to the business aspect of making an anime then so be it.

Look at it this way, a complete adaptation is more likely to have a better score than a a series that is split into seasons. Do you think if fmab seasons would be split into 4 seasons do you think all 4 seasons would be all rated 9.23? Nope that would not be the case, fmab is where it is because it is a full adaptation/great adaptation you get the full package.

So its way more complicated than it looks, but it would surely put all sequels at a disadvantage if we were to group all seasons into one.

@Jeivee
I agree with you, people aren't looking at the other side of the coin and not seeing the disadvantage that would be for sequel series.
keragammingFeb 22, 2020 6:29 AM
Feb 22, 2020 6:42 AM
Feb 2020
CondemneDio said:
GoodZoom said:

Nothing much, basically since it is clear a vote brigade happened, the "critics" have moved the goalpost.

More
CondemneDio said:
GoodZoom said:

More like this (when it's not about seasons, mostly):

https://thecrystaldaughter.tumblr.com/post/190964410327/sometimes-it-fells-like-that
Feb 22, 2020 8:32 AM
May 2019
Sorreh said:
How something like granbelm lose more than 0.12 https://myanimelist.net/anime/39417/Granbelm?q=gra

Fuck mal wtf.this anime is like rotating from 6.99 to 7.02 this past few months and suddenly a 0.12 drop out of nowhere. Way to wreck your site. Why not focus on those 1s and 10s from your top anime instead of lowering the scores of non popular ones even Bloom into you lose 0.4 and Symphogear XV lose 0.14.Nice fluctuation, very legit haha
Feb 22, 2020 12:45 PM
Apr 2016
Finally. It only took you two weeks of a humiliating, savage site-wide tirade to start working.
Re:formed
Feb 22, 2020 3:04 PM
Apr 2017
It doesn't matter to me, personally. When I bump into anime and it's crap, then even vote brigand won't change my mind. And who follow some silly ytbers??
Feb 22, 2020 4:54 PM

Apr 2018
This is hilarious. MAL took a big L from a couple of youtubers and they're throwing a hissy fit now.

Who even looks at the score and reviews on here to make a decision whether to watch a show or not. And really, the reviews on here are just awful anyway. The majority of anime fans already have their go to genres and stick with them.

Really hope MAL doesn't end up a SJW mess like AnimeNewsNetwork did.
Feb 22, 2020 6:14 PM

Nov 2011
Anything that stops bots and bot trolling is a good thing.
Feb 22, 2020 6:20 PM

Oct 2013
WillWel said:
This is hilarious. MAL took a big L from a couple of youtubers and they're throwing a hissy fit now.

Who even looks at the score and reviews on here to make a decision whether to watch a show or not. And really, the reviews on here are just awful anyway. The majority of anime fans already have their go to genres and stick with them.

So then Mal should sit and let people do whatever to the site? Believe it or not a lot of people do take the scores seriously and do take recommendation based off the score.

I don't know how a site trying to fix an exploit that users use to manipulate scores means they are going the SJW route or whatever other bullshit that comes out of your mouth. Please think before writing.

Pure ignorance!
Feb 22, 2020 6:45 PM

Aug 2008
keragamming said:
WillWel said:

So then Mal should sit and let people do whatever to the site? Believe it or not a lot of people do take the scores seriously and do take recommendation based off the score.

I don't know how a site trying to fix an exploit that users use to manipulate scores means they are going the SJW route or whatever other bullshit that comes out of your mouth. Please think before writing.

Pure ignorance!

The ratings are a joke. The entire point of the website is that users control the ratings, which makes them unreliable at best. Some people decided to mess with the ratings for a laugh and MAL showed how joyless they are by throwing a hissy about how super cereal it is that one or two Youtubers wanted to have a laugh with their broken system. It's Netflix and Rotten Tomatoes all over again.
Feb 22, 2020 7:18 PM

Apr 2018
keragamming said:
WillWel said:

Pure ignorance!

How are they taking the SJW route? Have you read what they highlighted red in their post?

So if a person comments that they don't believe people are vote brigading or trolling, MAL will claim that you are the actual troll and ban you from the site. Doesn't that sound a bit messed up to you. Or maybe you were just ignorant of that.
Feb 22, 2020 7:19 PM

Mar 2011
How the hell do you know which 10/10s were the result of youtube briganding and which weren't?
Feb 22, 2020 8:03 PM

Sep 2014
That's pretty fascinating how some people here actually feel concerned about trolls and bots being censored and then blame the SJW for ruining the website.
Feb 22, 2020 8:54 PM

Mar 2016
Hrybami said:
That's pretty fascinating how some people here actually feel concerned about trolls and bots being censored and then blame the SJW for ruining the website.

Da gawd damn ESS Jae double-u's ruining my beloved Animaes.
LOL why do people always scapegoat.
Feb 22, 2020 9:15 PM

Oct 2013
Nymphonomicon said:
keragamming said:

Pure ignorance!

The ratings are a joke. The entire point of the website is that users control the ratings, which makes them unreliable at best. Some people decided to mess with the ratings for a laugh and MAL showed how joyless they are by throwing a hissy about how super cereal it is that one or two Youtubers wanted to have a laugh with their broken system. It's Netflix and Rotten Tomatoes all over again.

And how does this makes my point invalid? Then are you saying they should not try to fix this problem? Like what is the point here? So basically if something is broken it should not be fix because it is broken already?

So who else should be the one to score series other than the users here on mal? A f**ing ghost? Or perhaps big foot? Or maybe aliens? Like You guys make no sense at all. Or perhaps you are saying the person that created this website should be the only person to decide each series score/ranking to make the score reliable? It is as if you guys don't think before talking.

WillWel said:
keragamming said:

Pure ignorance!

How are they taking the SJW route? Have you read what they highlighted red in their post?

So if a person comments that they don't believe people are vote brigading or trolling, MAL will claim that you are the actual troll and ban you from the site. Doesn't that sound a bit messed up to you. Or maybe you were just ignorant of that.

We don't know how the system work anything you or me say is pure speculation.

@Hrybami
I'm starting to suspect that a lot of these people complaining are the said trolls that are making bot accounts to downvote/upvote series. That is the only thing I can think of that makes sense.
keragammingFeb 22, 2020 9:24 PM
Feb 22, 2020 9:51 PM
May 2019
This is so stupid. Bring back Granbelm to its former score. Like an underated anime will get devalued even more. Even Happy Sugar Life and Revue Starlight lost 0.3 just how reliable can you call this site even more
Feb 22, 2020 10:24 PM
Oct 2010
zzzz, if you have a problem with MAL, you can go somewhere else at the end of the day. No one is forcing you to be in 1 location.
Feb 22, 2020 10:47 PM

Mar 2012
SRT_120921 said:
This is so stupid. Bring back Granbelm to its former score. Like an underated anime will get devalued even more. Even Happy Sugar Life and Revue Starlight lost 0.3 just how reliable can you call this site even more
I don't know if it just a typo or you are dead serious but Revue Starlight only down by 0.03 not 0.3.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 22, 2020 11:22 PM

Jun 2008
keragamming said:

@Hrybami
I'm starting to suspect that a lot of these people complaining are the said trolls that are making bot accounts to downvote/upvote series. That is the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

There is this, but I think it goes a little deeper.

The YouTubers and the brigades they sent really hate FUNimation. Much of the point of the brigade was to "stick it" to FUNimation, as ridiculous as that is. But then MAL came and stopped it. So even though MAL is just protecting its own site, in the eyes of the brigaders MAL has sided with FUNimation, the enemy, and must now also be the enemy. Thus, even though this system makes total sense and likely would have been accepted as natural in any other context, it's now the duty of the hateful masses to hate on MAL.

I do find it funny how so many come in to say how the scores are meaningless while simultaneously complaining about this. If you care enough to complain, clearly the scores on MAL are not meaningless to you.
Feb 22, 2020 11:32 PM

Apr 2018
keragamming said:
Nymphonomicon said:

And how does this makes my point invalid? Then are you saying they should not try to fix this problem? Like what is the point here? So basically if something is broken it should not be fix because it is broken already?

So who else should be the one to score series other than the users here on mal? A f**ing ghost? Or perhaps big foot? Or maybe aliens? Like You guys make no sense at all. Or perhaps you are saying the person that created this website should be the only person to decide each series score/ranking to make the score reliable? It is as if you guys don't think before talking.

WillWel said:

We don't know how the system work anything you or me say is pure speculation.

@Hrybami

You really need to calm down cowboy. I, like the majority of the people who use this site, use MAL to keep track of the shows I watch and keep an eye out for upcoming shows I would like watch. Nothing more and nothing less.

But I will be get a chuckle out of a site that threatens to ban its users for acts of "trolling" and dare I say it, ...rating an anime. Putting out a post like that too is just putting a big target on their back. MAL would have been better off just letting the whole thing blow over.

Also just saw your profile and your welcoming message to trolls. Judging by this it seems likely that you go around in forums and start crap, then label people who reply haters when they criticize you for it.
Feb 23, 2020 4:17 AM

Apr 2015
So many people patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Why can't people joke vote? Because you believe MAL scores have integrity? Newsflash: they don't.

The fact that people cared enough about a show to cast a vote (whether it was serious or not) should be commended for the effect it had on anime culture and the community at the time it was airing. Deleting the votes is essentially denying a show the credit it deserves.

Plus, isn't that what the review system is for - so people can understand in qualitative terms why a show is rated the way it is? So what if those were also joke reviews. People are not stupid, they can read between the lines what is going on.
Feb 23, 2020 4:33 AM

Oct 2010
So sad, now Macross is below 8, something happened. It is the will of the protoculture.
Feb 23, 2020 5:59 AM

Jan 2018
I don't understand what is being shown lol but I hope it works. I never realize youtuber would stop so low to get what they want. I don't think it's groundbreaking for me but hey legit votes gets a legit fan base on this site yeah.
Feb 23, 2020 9:23 AM
Oct 2010
Fap_King said:
So many people patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Why can't people joke vote? Because you believe MAL scores have integrity? Newsflash: they don't.

The fact that people cared enough about a show to cast a vote (whether it was serious or not) should be commended for the effect it had on anime culture and the community at the time it was airing. Deleting the votes is essentially denying a show the credit it deserves.

Plus, isn't that what the review system is for - so people can understand in qualitative terms why a show is rated the way it is? So what if those were also joke reviews. People are not stupid, they can read between the lines what is going on.

Nothing was deleted, you didn't read the post
Feb 23, 2020 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
Catalano said:
So sad, now Macross is below 8, something happened. It is the will of the protoculture.

It popularized idol shit, it's a worthy sacrifice.
Feb 23, 2020 9:56 AM

Oct 2010
Danpmss said:
Catalano said:

It popularized idol shit, it's a worthy sacrifice.

Nah, it wasn't that bad and the songs were pretty good, not your usual idol songs about sugar and love, but about her boyfriend and war and sadness.
Feb 23, 2020 10:27 AM

Sep 2014
GoodZoom said:
Hrybami said:

Da gawd damn ESS Jae double-u's ruining my beloved Animaes.
LOL why do people always scapegoat.

Yeah pretty much the Anti-SJW in a nutshell. Everyone and everything is their enemy. I have no word to describe how amazingly dense they are.
Feb 23, 2020 10:57 AM
Jan 2018
actually i think it was a good change but there are people coming from ceratin youtube channel that want to "destroy" MAL beacuse of this , just leave the users from MAL alone is soo inmature to do that only beacuse you don't like it if you don't want to use MAL don't use it is very simple
Feb 23, 2020 12:32 PM

Aug 2008
keragamming said:
Nymphonomicon said:

Do you normally engage in such hyperbole when speaking to others or just people you think you have some smug, self-prescribed, sense of superiority over?
You seem to be operating under the idea that the system is broken. As I said, the rating is decided by users of the site, so it is bound to be unreliable. It's not some objective score delivered by a neutral deity that cannot be altered at anytime, it's an aggregate based on votes that can be changed on a whim. Changing the way the system works is to take the votes out of the users' hands and enacting the will and bias of those running the site onto the scores.
Feb 23, 2020 12:37 PM

Oct 2013
Nymphonomicon said:
keragamming said:

Do you normally engage in such hyperbole when speaking to others or just people you think you have some smug, self-prescribed, sense of superiority over?
You seem to be operating under the idea that the system is broken. As I said, the rating is decided by users of the site, so it is bound to be unreliable. It's not some objective score delivered by a neutral deity that cannot be altered at anytime, it's an aggregate based on votes that can be changed on a whim. Changing the way the system works is to take the votes out of the users' hands and enacting the will and bias of those running the site onto the scores.

And where is your proof of that?
Feb 23, 2020 1:22 PM
May 2019
NeoAnkara said:
SRT_120921 said:
I don't know if it just a typo or you are dead serious but Revue Starlight only down by 0.03 not 0.3.

Ya typo lol
Feb 23, 2020 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
Nymphonomicon said:
Changing the way the system works is to take the votes out of the users' hands and enacting the will and bias of those running the site onto the scores.

Except this didn't happen. If anything this change gave more power to the MAL users because now a random third party like some garbage YouTuber with an agenda can't come and make massive changes on a whim.
Feb 24, 2020 12:10 AM

Jan 2009
This is a good change ツ
Feb 24, 2020 8:59 AM
Nov 2019
Terrible Method of Doing it. You should just prevent dupe accounts from ever being created. Take FACEBOOK as an example: You have to send back a phone number to verify the legitimacy of an account. Limit 1 account per phone number. Limit 1 account per email. Doing it this way just ruins voting polls. For example what if Full Metal Alchemist (FMA) was continuously raised higher than what it SHOULD BE over the years. I am disappointed.
Feb 24, 2020 10:07 AM

May 2018
Lynnelxo said:
Terrible Method of Doing it. You should just prevent dupe accounts from ever being created. Take FACEBOOK as an example: You have to send back a phone number to verify the legitimacy of an account. Limit 1 account per phone number. Limit 1 account per email. Doing it this way just ruins voting polls. For example what if Full Metal Alchemist (FMA) was continuously raised higher than what it SHOULD BE over the years. I am disappointed.

We can only create one account per email.
Shut up. Just don't start a unnecessary rant without looking into things.
This is the best they could do in here , except you know......... ignoring the situation. Which would have been pretty bad.
Feb 24, 2020 12:54 PM
Apr 2015
They should make shows with multiple seasons have an overall score, then if you click on the show, each season will have its own separate scores.
Feb 24, 2020 6:07 PM
May 2010
Why do people do these mindless herdbeast things? "I like this, so you have to like it too! Back me up, Team Bleat!" Juvenile. Just review the damned thing and accept that other people might have a different perspective.
Feb 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Mar 2016
Lynnelxo said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Drop that into the Suggestion Thread. I don't think this site has the necessary security for the phone number thing though. A database leak that big will sink anything; i mean look at what happened with the E3 shizz
Feb 24, 2020 6:27 PM

Mar 2011
WillWel said:

I certainly look at the score (not reviews) if I want to pick some older anime and I believe most do in that circumstance. What I don't look at is "top anime". MAL should just delete that stupid thing.
Feb 24, 2020 6:32 PM

Mar 2016
jeremy657 said:
They should make shows with multiple seasons have an overall score, then if you click on the show, each season will have its own separate scores.

Which season would be visible when looking at the season though. Mob Psycho's Second season is better than the first to me. One Punch man is the opposite. Should we aggregate the seasonal scores altogether which still lead to the bias presented. Sequel animes can be so far apart time wise that they kind of have to stand on their own sometimes.

How about a system that just has an additional filter for removing sequel animes.
Feb 24, 2020 7:51 PM
Feb 2018
keragamming said:
WillWel said:

Pure ignorance!

Then why when minority start to cry when majority like something? And force to manipulate scores from within? It doesn't matter from witch side it is manipulation is still manipulation. And if some anime is not your "cup of tea" doesn't mean it is bad. This move is forcing SJW views on majority - typical move.

Once manipulation starts from within ratings loses all point and credibility.
Pages (26) « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.