Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 31, 2020 10:10 AM

Feb 2018
Well, anime-only people are impressed with the good art (or at least different art) and panel system (again kinda original)

But manga readers seem disappointed with poor/mediocre animation, but agree that art might have sucked to get proper animation! The panel system is also killing the joy.

So, what's your take that why the manga seems better than anime? There is a huge diff bw rating of anime and manga (at 31/01/20): 8.66 vs 7.77
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Feb 2, 2020 7:02 AM
Mar 2016
First of all, English is not my first language so I'm really sorry if my answer is so messy and hard to understand for some people. As a manga reader, I agree with what you said about some manga reader's opinion. While on the one hand the art looks beautiful with most characters appear just like in the manga, on the other hand I'm disappointed with how stiff the animation is. They want to be faithful to the manga so much to the point that they basically adapting it panel by panel with the same movements, dialogues, and even angles of shot just like in the manga with barely any improvement to make the materials more interesting. They're basically adapting panel 1 and continue to panel 2,panel 3, 4, and so on without any animation to connect the two panels. That's why the fight in Episode 4 looks boring and feels as if I was watching a powerpoint presentation. As an analogy, imagine there are two consecutive panels in some random chapter of a manga, the first one shows the mc clenching his hand getting ready to punch the enemy while the second one shows the enemy got sent flying due to the impact of the punch. If that chapter were to be animated, adapting only those two panels wouldn't be enough. The anime should also include an additional scene to connect both panels showing how the fist moves until it hits the enemy. That's the problem with Hanako kun anime adaptation. They only adapt panels in the manga while not trying to make a scene to connect those two panels. I hope my answer is understandable
Feb 2, 2020 10:19 PM
Mar 2019
i am very disappointed with the animation in this adaptation too. the voice acting is pretty good so its a shame that the animation is so stiff and motionless... most scenes consist of static frames followed my camera movements. im usually not one to notice this kind of stuff, but with hanako kun it's so constant i just can't concentrate while watching it. ive only seen people praising it until now though. i thought i was alone in this lol but i think they're mistaking visuals and animation. the anime is very pretty visually speaking, colors and everything are done beautifully, but the animation itself seems like a slideshow and im very close to dropping it and sticking to the manga... fingers crossed it'll get better.
Feb 3, 2020 2:50 AM

Feb 2018
moonzie said:
i am very disappointed with the animation in this adaptation too. the voice acting is pretty good so its a shame that the animation is so stiff and motionless... most scenes consist of static frames followed my camera movements. im usually not one to notice this kind of stuff, but with hanako kun it's so constant i just can't concentrate while watching it. ive only seen people praising it until now though. i thought i was alone in this lol but i think they're mistaking visuals and animation. the anime is very pretty visually speaking, colors and everything are done beautifully, but the animation itself seems like a slideshow and im very close to dropping it and sticking to the manga... fingers crossed it'll get better.

Yup, they should not have implemented panel-style, should have looked for an alternative. The panel-style is too static!!
'I have no bonds tying me down. That's why I can see things as they are!!' - Yugami
Feb 3, 2020 3:38 AM
Apr 2016
I don't get the complaints. The amazing colours and backgrounds make up for it. I'd rather have amazing art and less movement than more movement but the art doesn't capture the aesthetic of the manga. It's absolutely effective and from the last ep it's clear that the emotional moments are impactful with the slower pacing and the stunning visuals.
Feb 3, 2020 5:01 AM

Jun 2019
I think it's good that they were able to adapt the art style very closely because it is a very unique art style.
Of course as you said, the animation is very lacking. The manga feels more smooth and flowy in comparison to the anime, which isn't a very good thing considering manga is composed of still drawings and anime is supposed to be the exact opposite.

One of the reasons people tend to look forward to anime adaptations is because they want to see the characters and story "come alive". The actors delivered more than enough, but I really cannot say the same about the animation. I was really wishing that the anime would do justice to the manga's art style before it came out, but now I think that it would've been better to tweak some parts of the art style to make movement easier to animate and make it look less stiff.

I've only watched two of the episodes though, and my girlfriend said that episodes three and four has better animation than the first two. So I'm just hoping that the animation will get better as the series progresses, and if it doesn't I won't really complain. I'm glad this was able to get an anime adaptation even though it may not be the best out there.

DA_Rialdo said:
They want to be faithful to the manga so much to the point that they basically adapting it panel by panel with the same movements, dialogues, and even angles of shot just like in the manga with barely any improvement to make the materials more interesting. They're basically adapting panel 1 and continue to panel 2,panel 3, 4, and so on without any animation to connect the two panels.
^what this dude said

Feb 3, 2020 6:28 AM

Mar 2019
Limited animation can be very nice if done correctly. In this case, this anime did it 'almost' right, because some still find it disturbing that animation is too static. I give score for the use of Limited Animation an 8/10.
Feb 3, 2020 6:31 AM

Mar 2019
Dr Stone started off like that too. But in time, animation got more and more. Give the staffs time to improve. I believe the fluidity of the animation will at least slightly improve before the end of the season, that is, if the schedule is good.
Feb 3, 2020 1:04 PM

Aug 2018
The artstyle is great.It's quite unique and the thivk brush strokes has its own appeal.The show has zero animation.I feel like watching a bunch of still and pretty images.Even characters mouth doesn't move in some scenes.The series doesn't seem to be action packed so I really don't know what's holding the studio back.Even Shokugeki no Souma seems to have better animation than Hanako.
Feb 3, 2020 1:58 PM

Jun 2015
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
The series doesn't seem to be action packed so I really don't know what's holding the studio back.

What's holding the studio back is that they are adapting one hell of a detailed artstyle and making the character move became a difficult matter because the designs have so much lines and is complicate to draw them in a way that they just don't fall apart.
Feb 3, 2020 2:06 PM

Aug 2018
Ottes said:
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
The series doesn't seem to be action packed so I really don't know what's holding the studio back.

What's holding the studio back is that they are adapting one hell of a detailed artstyle and making the character move became a difficult matter because the designs have so much lines and is complicate to draw them in a way that they just don't fall apart.
Don't wanna come off as rude but it's studio fault for adapting a difficult manga.I am watching an anime not a slideshow.If they are not gonna have proper animation like character movements and mouth animation what's the point of adapting it.It just seems like a bunch of coloured manga panels.When One Punch s2 did that everyone got on the hate train and flamed the series but no one is bothered by Hanako because it's artstyle is crisp.
Feb 3, 2020 3:44 PM

Jun 2015
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
Ottes said:

Don't wanna come off as rude but it's studio fault for adapting a difficult manga.I am watching an anime not a slideshow.If they are not gonna have proper animation like character movements and mouth animation what's the point of adapting it.It just seems like a bunch of coloured manga panels.When One Punch s2 did that everyone got on the hate train and flamed the series but no one is bothered by Hanako because it's artstyle is crisp.

This comparison is not even remotely okay. The thing with OPM that people are so underwhelemd is that OPM it is a series primarily focused on the action scenes which had a incredible animated previous season with a lot of awesome cuts. In season 2, the only good cuts are did by talented animators who fucked up their sleep schedules to give something good while JC Staff was picking up a LOT of projects at the same time and do not helping with the overall production (which was a disaster)

While in Hanako's case, IT is intentional. They don't have production issues like in OPM. Andou Masaomi (the director) already did this type of adaptation before with Hakumei to Mikochi and Kuzu no Honkai. He sacrifice a lot of movement to give a more consistent design for the characters, well done backgrounds and at the same time, saving animators work so they can focus more on animate the key scenes (scenes like in the 3rd and 4th episode of Hanako)
OttesFeb 4, 2020 12:04 PM
Feb 3, 2020 5:52 PM

Mar 2018
Don’t blame the lack of animation on the art style, the animators are using comics panels on purpose. I don’t like the animation but it’s acceptable and i noticed some improvement in episode 3

Feb 4, 2020 3:54 PM

Feb 2020
I personally don’t like the way it’s almost a slideshow of the manga but in color. But I understand why they did it and I don’t say it’s bad, it’s just not my thing.
Hanako-kun’s voice actress does a great job tho, which is actually the only reason i continue watching. Otherwise i’d prefer reading the manga. But maybe they’ll surprise me in the end, EP 3 ans 4 indeed had some short scenes that were more... idk... more animated lol
Feb 6, 2020 7:48 PM
Apr 2018
They have better animation in episode 5 tbh
Feb 7, 2020 2:21 AM

Jul 2012
it's intentional tho lol
Feb 7, 2020 12:36 PM
Jun 2019
I’m 100% cool with it. It comes across as a stylistic choice rather than laziness.
Feb 7, 2020 12:57 PM
May 2019
Just read the manga, that is my answer for most anime adaptations.
Feb 7, 2020 7:19 PM
Jun 2013
Western anime fans are so limited that is actually funny, the fact that you people are talking about "lack of animation" when is so explicitely obvious that this is a artistic choice, not lack of budget, bad schedule or whatever, but God forgive a studio trying to be creative with a adaptation, the only thing it's matter is the "muh sakuga and frames!", the average joe will prefer some "cool frames" over a 100% consistent beautiful art style.
Feb 8, 2020 12:29 PM

Nov 2008
The art's amazing enough to make up for it; nuff said.

Feb 9, 2020 5:01 PM
Jul 2016
Ottes said:
sonofbatmanrp13 said:

This comparison is not even remotely okay. The thing with OPM that people are so underwhelemd is that OPM it is a series primarily focused on the action scenes which had a incredible animated previous season with a lot of awesome cuts. In season 2, the only good cuts are did by talented animators who fucked up their sleep schedules to give something good while JC Staff was picking up a LOT of projects at the same time and do not helping with the overall production (which was a disaster)

While in Hanako's case, IT is intentional. They don't have production issues like in OPM. Andou Masaomi (the director) already did this type of adaptation before with Hakumei to Mikochi and Kuzu no Honkai. He sacrifice a lot of movement to give a more consistent design for the characters, well done backgrounds and at the same time, saving animators work so they can focus more on animate the key scenes (scenes like in the 3rd and 4th episode of Hanako)

>do not helping with the overall production

lol they actually helped by providing help from studio Moe with the Centipede's CGI and provided help from Studio LAN to bring their webgun animators to help them out
also it was Banadi Namco and TV Tokyo’s fault though J.C.Staff were just the animation studio that weren't have any choice regarding when it should be airing (since they weren't even in OPM S2's committee)
Feb 9, 2020 5:04 PM

Jun 2015
todd2580 said:
Ottes said:

lol they actually helped by providing help from studio Moe with the Centipede's CGI and provided help from Studio LAN to bring their webgun animators to help them out
also it was Banadi Namco and TV Tokyo’s fault though J.C.Staff were just the animation studio that weren't have any choice regarding when it should be airing (since they weren't even in OPM S2's committee)

Eh, anyway, my point was that OPM and Hanako's situation is totally different. You can't really compare schedule problems with artistic and totally >intentional< choices.
Feb 9, 2020 5:09 PM
Jul 2016
Ottes said:
todd2580 said:

Eh, anyway, my point was that OPM and Hanako's situation is totally different. You can't really compare schedule problems with artistic and totally >intentional< choices.

lol OPM S2 still have some artistic choices though with some intentional choices that were made accidentally from the tight schedule

and anyways Hanako will be fine to me it's just some people want every anime to have detailed animation lmao
and the anime industry isn't a peaceful place as they think
Feb 9, 2020 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
todd2580 said:
Ottes said:

lol OPM S2 still have some artistic choices though with some intentional choices that were made accidentally from the tight schedule

and anyways Hanako will be fine to me it's just some people want every anime to have detailed animation lmao
and the anime industry isn't a peaceful place as they think

Yeah definitely. The amount of productions nowadays that suffer with tight schedules or just overall bad management from the production commite is honestly scary (Well, NNT with Aniplex is a recently case that is just.. yikes)
OttesFeb 10, 2020 9:12 AM
Apr 9, 2020 6:21 PM

Jun 2016
late to the party but finally watched it last week after waiting for it to finish so I could binge and yeah I was just as disappointed.. the art is stunning but the lack of animation killed it for me. I was really looking forward to it, especially the action scenes getting animated but we basically got non of that lmao. kinda wish I didn't read the manga because anime onlys seemed to enjoy it and moved onto the manga but the other way around just didn't work
Apr 24, 2020 11:44 PM
Mar 2016
I found the art style interesting at first, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike it. It's unique to be sure, but that isn't always a good thing. I feel like this particular style really hampers the subject matter and steals a lot of life away. Most of the time it really does look like colored manga panels. I've seen that done well elsewhere, and I'm not generally one to complain about graphical fidelity... But I must say that the animation is lacking here.

I just can't take any of these characters seriously, and the humor is falling flat consistently. This seemed like a funny idea, and I really tried to give this one a chance. I dislike a lot of the voice acting and all of the characters so far (EP 11). I have liked other Moe series like Acchi Kochi, but this one is just boring.

I think that fluid animation might make the series easier to watch at most points, but honestly the writing hurts this show the most.

In conclusion this art style works for disjointed still images. I'm not a fan of it in the anime, and I fail to see how the manga would fair better. The dearth of animation in most scenes really poisons the more interesting bits you're waiting to see.
Sep 17, 2020 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
It feels like a copy and paste of the manga panels without bringing something unique to the table. The fight scenes in the anime suck like the mermaid fight is literally just still shots from the manga for a good 3 seconds basically comparing this to something like houseki no kuni's adaptation and you can see a difference in quality although tbf houseki no kuni is 3d while Hanako is 2d.
Overall not the worst thing I have seen but a 7/10 for animation from me

but yeah that's my take on it
Dec 17, 2020 8:36 AM
May 2016
I'm not a manga reader but I do see several pages of it, so yeah a bit disappointed. I'm glad that they're trying to follow the artstyle closely but it end up looks more like a slideshow type of animation instead-
I get that they use the manga panel look as a stylistic choice but it's a bit overdone sometimes that it seems like they only follow the manga panel one by one without adding up to it on their own. And it especially bothers me that they also do the same style when it comes to the action scenes yet those are the part that they'll put least effort to /:
The only thing I can't really complain is the rushed art through half of the end of the anime due to pandemic though
Jun 28, 2021 11:33 AM

Feb 2021
thats what i thought too at first: the art was so cool and stuff it was great. but then i got the manga and after awhile i went to rewatched the anime

oh bOY OH BOY did i feel like i fantasied the art style too much.

the voices were not what i wouldve gone with tbh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

124 by Inacio0101 »»
Apr 21, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Does the recently Aired spin off covered the missing parts of manga ? Or different story

chukesh007 - Jan 29

3 by emirw »»
Jan 30, 4:36 PM

» Can i get a song list

dicloflom - Dec 28, 2023

7 by dicloflom »»
Jan 12, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

139 by luviendsol »»
Dec 23, 2023 2:07 PM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2020

54 by nanajp »»
Dec 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.