Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 27, 2020 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
Previous thread

I was talking with @jokah about how people are online and offline and if you can ever really know a person and if a person can ever really know themselves.

Then I started thinking about how my personality has changed so much since I was a kid and how I act differently online and offline, depending on the community that I am involved with.

When we did the personality tests a month ago I got INTJ. I have gotten INTJ all three times that I have taken the test in my life on various sites. But there was a flaw in my approach. I always based the answers on my offline irl personality.

So this morning I did it again and this time I answered thinking about how I interact in various online communities including this one and in multiplayer video games online. This time I got ENTJ. Fascinating! (I guessed ENTJ in the previous thread)

So how about you guys? When you first took the test did you answer based on irl or online? And will you take the test again and answer from the other persona’s perspective? Share your online and irl personality type results side by side.

removed-userJan 27, 2020 5:00 AM
Jan 27, 2020 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
I did the test and guess what i got again?INFP .Kind of was expecting that since my online persona and real life persona are not that different aside from me being a bit more forward online than offline.
Jan 27, 2020 3:09 AM
Jan 2020
Did the test on how I interact in real life and it turns out i'm an INFJ-T, the Advocate. It seems my personality is a rare type.

Honestly wasn't expecting that, but i'm unsure if that's actually correct. Whatever.
MisterLokiJan 27, 2020 3:16 AM
Daft Punk is love, Daft Punk is life

Jan 27, 2020 3:20 AM

Sep 2019
This is my first time doing a test on personality max, i did a test on 16 personalities and got an enfp-t, it was about 2 or 3 years ago. But on this test i got INTP. Sometimes on 16 personality sites i got either enfp-t or intp as well so i guess it wasn't all that surprising.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 27, 2020 3:54 AM

Oct 2017
Well, it's a personality test, not an alter ego test or what I admire to be. My true self is typically very similar, anyway, although I am able to talk more online, which will never make me more extroverted.
Jan 27, 2020 3:57 AM

Feb 2015
Many times I took this personality test from different sites and my results tends to be consistent on the "I" and "P".

If "NF" actually means "Nifty Fricker", then I'd go with that.
Jan 27, 2020 4:31 AM
May 2019
I did the test again and I got ENTP-A again like the 4th time.
https://www.16personalities.com/entp-personality
Jan 27, 2020 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:
Well, it's a personality test, not an alter ego test or what I admire to be. My true self is typically very similar, anyway, although I am able to talk more online, which will never make me more extroverted.

True. As for me I’m not an alter ego online. I’m still the same me except that online I can actually do the things I want to do but irl I am restricted more. So for example if I want to take a leading role in a video game nobody can stop me. Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully go for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.
Jan 27, 2020 5:07 AM

Oct 2017
FlowersInTheRain said:
Bunille said:

True. As for me I’m not an alter ego online. I’m still the same me except that online I can actually do the things I want to do but irl I am restricted more. So for example if I want to take a leading role in a video game nobody can stop me. Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully go for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.
FlowersInTheRain said:
Bunille said:

True. As for me I’m not an alter ego online. I’m still the same me except that online I can actually do the things I want to do but irl I am restricted more. So for example if I want to take a leading role in a video game nobody can stop me. Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.
Maybe that’s just self esteem.
Character count
Jan 27, 2020 5:08 AM

Oct 2017
FlowersInTheRain said:
Bunille said:

True. As for me I’m not an alter ego online. I’m still the same me except that online I can actually do the things I want to do but irl I am restricted more. So for example if I want to take a leading role in a video game nobody can stop me. Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.
Character count[/quote]
Jan 27, 2020 5:34 AM
Jul 2018
I'm as preachy and argumentative here as I am irl.
Jan 27, 2020 6:27 AM

Aug 2016
First time I took the test years ago and I was INTJ. Then a few months ago I was INTP and today it is INTJ again (Test results).
The problem is that a lot of questions cannot be answered with yes/no. Sometimes both answers are correct, but you still need to decide in favor of one. At least in the test I took from FlowersInTheRain link.
Jan 27, 2020 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Bunille said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

Character count
[/quote]
No.

My online self is my original self. My irl self has been repressed by countless negative experiences.
Jan 27, 2020 6:36 AM
Apr 2016
I have never taken a test because it will obviously be inaccurate—most online tests are, actually. A friend of mine that is very educated in MBTI told me which one I am, and I trust in their identification.
Jan 27, 2020 6:36 AM

Jul 2007
I don't really behave all that differently online, at least not in a way that I've noticed. Every single time I take those tests it tells me I'm an INTP.
Jan 27, 2020 6:54 AM

Sep 2017
I've always been an INFP-A, at least based on my real life personnality

I'd honestly say I act differently online, but in a good way since I feel like I'm more able to express my true self online rather than IRL. I'm quite shy and not really talkative, except with persons really close to me
However, I tried the same test again, this time answering regarding my online (and true) personnality, and I'm still an INFP-A

I also don't behave (entirely) naturally when I'm speaking a different language than my native one, mostly because I can't express myself the way I want to or because of the lack of vocabulary (or, in general, just language differences). So yeah, like here on MAL I can't fully express myself, even if it's quite close though
Jan 27, 2020 7:44 AM

Jun 2008
everytime i do these quizzes i get a different "personality"

lo and behold, this time i do it i get craftman, which seems far off from the truth. I don't like making stuff and using tools, answers which i repeatedly said no to.

i also just kind of fail to see the point to these quizzes. i find it pointless to categorize people into these categories. most people is on a continuum. what if somebody was like 51% one thing and 49% another? all that shows is that they're in the middle, and these quizzes has nothing to add about these people in the middle. then the website will probably say soemthing like, wellll if you pay you get an even more detailed answer!

usually each personality type is often displayed in their absolute best/positive light. (the weakness section is one small category with the positives while the rest of the results are all positive). having examples of celebrities also makes no sense to me. what, did they do these surveys? or is that what the author of such a test believe them to be just based on their public appearance/behaviours?
TachiiJan 27, 2020 7:48 AM
Jan 27, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2016
Themousen said:
I've always been an INFP-A, at least based on my real life personnality

I'd honestly say I act differently online, but in a good way since I feel like I'm more able to express my true self online rather than IRL. I'm quite shy and not really talkative, except with persons really close to me
However, I tried the same test again, this time answering regarding my online (and true) personnality, and I'm still an INFP-A

I also don't behave (entirely) naturally when I'm speaking a different language than my native one, mostly because I can't express myself the way I want to or because of the lack of vocabulary (or, in general, just language differences). So yeah, like here on MAL I can't fully express myself, even if it's quite close though

Hi fellow INFP! I can relate to the language part, because I speak multiple languages and English is the one I'm the best at expressing myself at.
Jan 27, 2020 8:15 AM

Mar 2019
ISTJ, that is my type, I dunno if its rare or not, but hey, its me.
Jan 27, 2020 9:38 AM

Nov 2016
Those personality tests are extremely biased. No where is the option that's says "I can't be bothered to take your mainstream personality drone test. I can't be defined by a couple of questions some jerk job made up."
Jan 27, 2020 10:03 AM

Apr 2012
I've been consistently typed as a ESFP-A for a while now. I probably come across as a little subdued on the internet, but in real I can be pretty talkative and gregarious. Although one off time, on another site they said I was an ESFJ?
Jan 27, 2020 10:18 AM

Nov 2016
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me that your true personality is who you are when you're happy and satisfied. I think it's the opposite; your true personality is who you are when nothing's alright. As Brother Jocko once said: When you are broken, you have the opportunity to show the world what you're really made of. If you've come out weaker from your negative experiences, I guess you missed your opportunities.
ThanakosJan 28, 2020 8:43 AM
Jan 27, 2020 10:50 AM

Mar 2018
I act pretty similarly in RL as I do online, so there's no difference. I've always been INTP, though. No matter how many times I take it.
Jan 27, 2020 11:35 AM

Mar 2016
I am the same mtbi type online and offline and I can act however I like.
Jan 28, 2020 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Thanakos said:
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me that your true personality is who you are when you're happy and satisfied. I think it's the opposite; your true personality is who you are when nothing's alright. As Brother Jocko once said: When you are broken, you have the opportunity to show the world who you really are. If you've come out weaker from your negative experiences, I guess you missed your opportunities.

Well for me ENTJ and INTJ are both strong personality types. So I show the world how strong I am whether I am in a good place or a bad place. You only need to read my profile to see that I have come out on top. My body and mind and in top shape. Only my spirituality wavers.
Jan 28, 2020 8:50 AM

Nov 2016
FlowersInTheRain said:
Thanakos said:
Somebody once told me the world was gonna roll me that your true personality is who you are when you're happy and satisfied. I think it's the opposite; your true personality is who you are when nothing's alright. As Brother Jocko once said: When you are broken, you have the opportunity to show the world who you really are. If you've come out weaker from your negative experiences, I guess you missed your opportunities.

Well for me ENTJ and INTJ are both strong personality types. So I show the world how strong I am whether I am in a good place or a bad place. You only need to read my profile to see that I have come out on top. My body and mind and in top shape. Only my spirituality wavers.

I've seen plenty of wusses tout the xNTJ horn on the internet. As if using your mbti type as alibi wasn't meaningless enough they had to do it over the internet on top of it. Being a certain type has nothing to do with being a wuss or not. I mean, I get ENTJ 90% of the time (the other 10% is INxJ) but I can count you ton of times I've been a wuss. If I hadn't fixed some of my ways, I would probably have permanently become a wuss. I know at least one example of an ENTJ (since mbti is your preferred heuristic) who became a wuss permanently. All it took were a few rejections and separations.
Jan 28, 2020 9:14 AM

Aug 2018
Basing your answers based on your offline personality was a mistake, you know yourself best. Answer based on what you truly feel inside. My personality type remains the same.

FlowersInTheRain said:
Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully go for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.

Sad, why do you give a shit about the opinions of those who don't wish you the best?

Why do people even put so much importance towards proximity rather than relevance in the first place? You should care about the opinions of those above in the hierarchy and not those stuck at the same level.
xLoopJan 28, 2020 9:17 AM
<Insert clever quote>
Jan 28, 2020 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
Thanakos said:
FlowersInTheRain said:

I've seen plenty of wusses tout the xNTJ horn on the internet. As if using your mbti type as alibi wasn't meaningless enough they had to do it over the internet on top of it. Being a certain type has nothing to do with being a wuss or not. I mean, I get ENTJ 90% of the time (the other 10% is INxJ) but I can count you ton of times I've been a wuss. If I hadn't fixed some of my ways, I would probably have permanently become a wuss. I know at least one example of an ENTJ (since mbti is your preferred heuristic) who became a wuss permanently. All it took were a few rejections and separations.

I can assure you that I have never been a wuss in my life. It is rather the opposite people are always scared and intimidated of me and if they are not then they are likely either getting along with me or trying to fight me. I can scrap but would rather try to make peace and most of all would rather keep my job and not get arrested. If you look at my 20 fave characters on my profile they are a reflection of myself. Would you say any of them are a wuss?

Remember that things are much harder when you are the only black one on the base for your entire time served in the military.

-InfiniteLoop- said:

FlowersInTheRain said:
Irl I have to apply for the job or promotion and people don’t want me to do it so I have to resentfully go for something lesser and I act introverted instead of extroverted because I can’t be myself and do what I actually want to do.

Sad, why do you give a shit about the opinions of those who don't wish you the best?

Why do people even put so much importance towards proximity rather than relevance in the first place? You should care about the opinions of those above in the hierarchy and not those stuck at the same level.

This has nothing to do with opinions. It has everything to do with the people who are in power gatekeeping. They don’t want me to join their company or rise up in their company. They want to keep me down and out of the way. I am always the threat. Just being present as the only black one means they now have to be politically correct and they do like it.
The people on my level are not the problem. The ones higher up are the problem. It happens all the time over and over. My fiancée has experienced the same.

@missaliensan how’d you get 99% introverted? Impressive!
removed-userJan 28, 2020 1:10 PM
Jan 28, 2020 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
I took the test and it says I'm an ESTP.
Jan 28, 2020 3:45 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Personally I am always an ESTJ whenever I take those personality tests.
Jan 28, 2020 3:59 PM

Jul 2014
I am not that different. Building a persona seems like too much work, also my principles may clash. I put up airs when I write a text tho to make it more fun, but general internet chatting - nah.
Anyways, I have the most boring one.
I think I have changed during my life too though. I think there's possibility I was different when I was younger, and then depression happened.
Jan 28, 2020 7:46 PM
Dec 2010
I'm likely to talk more online than offline. I'm a lot more expressive online than offline.

As for those MBTI tests, if you must know, I usually get INTJ-A. Sometime, I get ENTJ and INFJ. I also got other results like INTP, ENTP, ISTJ, ENFJ, etc. So yeah, the results aren't exactly consistent.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Jan 28, 2020 8:33 PM

Aug 2018
Thanakos said:
When you are broken, you have the opportunity to show the world what you're really made of. If you've come out weaker from your negative experiences, I guess you missed your opportunities.

I was going to make a joke yesterday that I broke my ability to be broken (My quirk of shutting down my emotions when necessary)

And then today I woke up to the biggest fucking most shocking wtf moment of my entire fucking life. I wasn't sure if both my parents were still alive when I woke up and I'm still not sure if they'll live to the end of the week. Yes, this universe (God?) has given me a cruel reminder that worse things can always happen. The worst has yet to come. I can still be broken, the only thing the agnostic me can do is pray right now and hope that there exists some kind God who is actually listening.
<Insert clever quote>
Jan 28, 2020 9:00 PM

Oct 2013
I don't have a personality. My thoughts change with every passing minute and nothing about my self remains but the voice in my head that responds to those thoughts, followed by the voice that responds the responses of that voice, usque ad mortem

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
54 seconds ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

26 by Serafos »»
34 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
2 hours ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.