Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jan 7, 2020 10:12 AM

Nov 2011
Ugh, went into this with a bit of expectation and it EXCEEEEDED THOSE EXPECTATIONS!!

Wow, this was amazing from beginning to end, don't think i've seen a more likeable group of characters in a while, the anime making story is a cherry on top, Kanamori for best girl and character of the season already.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jan 7, 2020 10:23 AM

Sep 2017
Wow, what a treat. Stellar art and animation. The backgrounds where gorgeous. Such an imaginative, fun, and wacky ride. Op was also amazing. I'm so glad ppl were talking about how good this first episode was in other forums otherwise I might not have missed this.
Jan 7, 2020 2:32 PM

Aug 2016
Wasnt planning to watch this because of Yuasa, but whatever. An ok start, what a surprise, looked like it was directed by someone else.
:v
Jan 7, 2020 4:05 PM

Aug 2019
I decided to watch this, because of the ratings.

This seems fun to watch, I like the characters and the comedy. I also like the premise.

The OP is actually good and the ED.
Jan 7, 2020 4:21 PM

Sep 2018
Hidden Gem of the Season GUARANTEED
Blanks.
Jan 7, 2020 6:37 PM
Aug 2018
This show is just so upbeat and playful and i fucking love it.
Jan 7, 2020 7:51 PM
Aug 2019
Yuasa back at it again! This was a great first episode I'm definitely gonna enjoy this series. The op is really catchy oh and has anyone noticed that Ozu (character from tatami galaxy) was in the op.

Jan 7, 2020 8:27 PM
Nov 2010
mozgow said:
FMmatron said:
Future Boy Conan?.

Yes, Future Boy Conan :)

I haven't seen it yet but might as well start watching it now, LOL :D

You Should ...
charming Reality Fiction Story About The World 20 Years After WW3
One of My All Times 10 Best Animes
Jan 7, 2020 8:30 PM
Nov 2010
TodAboT said:
This really makes me want to watch Future Boy Conan. First I'll watch the Ghibli films (I only have 4 left to go!).

Easy 10/10 for me.

Saying it to You Too ...
You Should ...
charming Reality Fiction Story About The World 20 Years After WW3
One of My All Times 10 Best Animes
Jan 7, 2020 11:07 PM
Apr 2011
I've never liked a Yuasa first ep more
Jan 8, 2020 1:18 AM

Jan 2016
So wholesome, cannot wait for the next episode to come out :))
Jan 8, 2020 1:32 AM
Dec 2019
I love how all the character's voice is so deep. It's so natural sounding
Hard to believe this itou sairi's first major role.
Jan 8, 2020 5:01 AM

Oct 2013
Yuasa saving anime again, sasuga.
Jan 8, 2020 5:22 AM

Jun 2017
This is GDT, like CGDCT but without the C. Sayaka looks like Satsuki Kiryuuin.
Best thing this season so far.

Jan 8, 2020 6:50 AM

Jan 2020
Tellatez said:
Yuasa back at it again! This was a great first episode I'm definitely gonna enjoy this series. The op is really catchy oh and has anyone noticed that Ozu (character from tatami galaxy) was in the op.

Where was he exactly tho? I can't find him
Jan 8, 2020 8:32 AM

Jul 2016
I liked a lot this first episode, it's a very interisting anime ! It change a little bit compared to what I'm usually watching so I enjoyed it :) And idk why but the art reminds me a little bit of Kill la Kill
JojOo517Jan 8, 2020 8:36 AM
Jan 8, 2020 1:00 PM

Aug 2018
just another show pseudo elitists will watch only because the art style is different from other productions. your standards coudn't get any lower
Jan 8, 2020 1:41 PM
May 2017
grotesia said:
just another show pseudo elitists will watch only because the art style is different from other productions. your standards coudn't get any lower

some people don't really care for the more standarized industry set art-style. Gezz, get over yourself.
Jan 8, 2020 2:25 PM
Mar 2015
They did look they were having fun
Jan 8, 2020 6:29 PM
Jun 2019
Why so much hype on top of that? It's fucking funny and creative too, but is there any reason to be a masterpiece right away? I saw nothing beyond.
Jan 8, 2020 7:49 PM

May 2013
Really strong pilot episode, quite enjoyable.
Jan 8, 2020 9:08 PM
Apr 2019
Really liking the first episode. Love the art style, feels like a mash up of a lot of recognizable influences. A bit frenetic imo, characters and speed they talk, had to replay and pause to get the subtitles before the next line came (to me) in milliseconds. But looking forward to next episode, love the joy and enthusiasm the character have for anime, just like me.
Jan 9, 2020 12:16 AM

Aug 2013
This was the only series I was looking forward to this season and the first episode blew away my expectations.
Jan 9, 2020 1:27 AM
Sep 2019
I kinda got sucked into THE WORLD that they "went" to. so it really felt like an actual anime except shortened. And basically I kinda like the cliche things (sometimes, as long as they don't drag out for too long.).
Jan 9, 2020 2:52 AM

Apr 2017
ibraheem234 said:
Wel this was an interesting find.... I am still confused as to what it is about
a girl interested in Anime so much since she was young she wanted to make her own Anime, characters show up with similar ideals and they start their journey to making one.
kinda obvious if u focus.
Jan 9, 2020 3:50 AM

Feb 2018
This was fantastic! I'm already in love with this anime. I mean how can you not be when it starts by describing how good mirai shounen conan is?!? If only camera panning was a bit slower so that we could fully enjoy the background drawings,it would be perfect!!
Jan 9, 2020 7:47 AM

Jul 2017
I was never a fan of Masaaki Yuasa's anime stories but i really loved his art. But I think this show really has something that will hook me up. Really excited for ep 2. Oh the OP and ED are already top notch
Jan 9, 2020 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
gostosadozap said:
Why so much hype on top of that? It's fucking funny and creative too, but is there any reason to be a masterpiece right away? I saw nothing beyond.

Because it's directed by Masaaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, The Tatami Galaxy and a bunch of other great stuffs). But yeah, I feel the same mate.
Jan 9, 2020 12:00 PM

May 2015
grotesia said:

You're not very good at trolling.

Jan 9, 2020 12:02 PM

Aug 2018
TsukuyomiREKT said:
grotesia said:

ok oyasumi punpun fan
Jan 9, 2020 4:16 PM

Dec 2016
It's incredibly refreshing to see a show focusing on high school students who aren't overly sexualized to all hell. Just a pure fun story that keeps you engaged with great characters and superb animation. That's all I ask for in an anime. As always, Masaaki doesn't disappoint.
Jan 9, 2020 4:33 PM

Dec 2016
RabidFish said:

some people don't really care for the more standarized industry set art-style. Gezz, get over yourself.

There can still be fantastic shows in those that have more generic styles, but Jesus, I am sooo fucking tired of seeing them. A different style won't guarantee a good anime obviously, but it's still very much appreciated, imo.
Jan 9, 2020 6:31 PM

Jul 2017
I wasn't expecting it to be this good, but I reallt love the distinct personalities of the leads, and the way the series shifts in animation style depending on the scene. The comedic beats surprised me too, I actually laughed out loud at some parts which I rarely do in anime.
Jan 9, 2020 8:32 PM

Jul 2014
It's only one episode, but i can tell it's going to be one of my favorites this season..

And then i found out Yuasa Masaaki is the director then i understand why this anime so engaging already..

Can't totally wait for next episode..!!
Jan 10, 2020 12:19 AM
Jan 2020
platoapproved said:
Ehhh... I must not be the only one that finds this show not "whacky" enough, right?

That is probably subjective, but I haven't got really used to the "consistency"(?) in animation of this show (and what I'm saying here is not the artwork and character design, but ANIMATION). I just sense a lack of movement in comparison to his previous works. The background was not moving, but it also didn't mimic any movement either (which I feel is rare for Yuasa)
Or, that really is just me.

Not just you. Particularly, the scene where they were running away from the MiB, it just felt stilted especially juxtaposed against the beautifully animated Future Boy Conan clips. When the body guard ran into that door, I just didn't feel it and I've seen Yuasa do better.

However, I couldn't say the same about some of the fluid, detailed, scenes that take place in imagination land. I feel like they spent their budget very selectively, in that regard and will have to see if this pans out or not. I'm optimistic, at least.
Jan 10, 2020 12:56 AM
Jan 2020
Only thing i gotta say about this series so far is that it's been the first time an anime made me cry on episode 1. Im not particularity gushy either, i might tear up on a significant character death in most anime but nothing has hit me so square on the heart string as this.
Maybe it's just the fact that it's about animation, something im deeply passionate about, which made me instantly feel a deep bond with the characters.
Jan 10, 2020 2:30 AM

Apr 2011
grotesia said:

Im thinking you most likely didnt even watch the whole episode or any of it, as it actually pays a lot of respect to the generation of anime you seem very fond of. Also it’s silly to call people elitist for liking masaaki’s work, when you’re obviously a hipster who doesn’t allow yourself to like anything that isnt vintage.
Jan 10, 2020 2:50 AM

May 2015
grotesia said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

ok oyasumi punpun fan

Wow, you really got me there. Pointing out that I'm a fan of a great manga is a top tier insult for sure. xD

Jan 10, 2020 3:07 AM

Aug 2018
Fintan said:
grotesia said:

Im thinking you most likely didnt even watch the whole episode or any of it, as it actually pays a lot of respect to the generation of anime you seem very fond of. Also it’s silly to call people elitist for liking masaaki’s work, when you’re obviously a hipster who doesn’t allow yourself to like anything that isnt vintage.
i simply only like vintage manga, oyasumi punpun fan
Jan 10, 2020 3:56 AM

Mar 2017
It's like they wanted to see my dreams as a kid come to life.
Jan 10, 2020 4:40 AM
Jan 2020
Yuasa genius!!! Its very entertaining and fun, i love the reference from Nausicaä the valley of wind.
Jan 10, 2020 7:13 AM

Jan 2019
I thought that was a really strong first episode. The animation is really cool, and even though the story is kinda murky, I'm on board!
Be happy with what you have to be happy with
Jan 10, 2020 7:45 AM

Sep 2017
HO-LY-SHIT

This is, by far, the most amazing first episode I've seen in a while. The sequence inside the drawings with all the effects being done a capella, the art design, the soundtrack... It was midblowing. This series reminds me of FLCL in every good way possible with all its fun insanity and clear LOVE of animation. You can tell it has boatloads of passion behind it, it has a soul, an identity of its own and just watching it makes me happy.

This is prime AOTS material. Hell, they would have to screw up BADLY the next episodes and throw some serious heavy hitters this year to convince me that this doesn't have a serious chance of being AOTY.

Goddamnit Yuasa, first Devilman Crybaby and now this. Stop putting the bar so goddamn high at the beginning of the year man, you are giving other anime a hard time just by existing.
Jan 10, 2020 8:35 AM
May 2019
So, these are "women" right? Kind of butchy...but meh.
Jan 10, 2020 11:18 AM

Sep 2012
no words but this is so far the best episode 1 of the season

why is it good-
plot
characters
adventurous/creativity atmosphere
animation
OP

Jan 10, 2020 3:06 PM
Aug 2018
Every few anime shows can drew our attention from the first episode
I think this anime will turnout to be a masterpiece:)
Jan 10, 2020 3:37 PM

Jul 2014
Really great and imaginative first episode. The animation and art style are incredible. I really like the wacky character designs too.

Tall girl with the mouth is my favorite character!
Jan 10, 2020 4:11 PM
Oct 2019
I love the unique character styles that don't conform to typical female anime designs - so many look the same and are pretty forgettable. So far the characters channel so much energy and I'm looking forward to their future interactions.
Jan 10, 2020 4:58 PM

Sep 2018
The story is interesting! The movie they saw reminds me of Ghibli's movie Castle in the Sky.
I like their place, it's very unique. The anime they imagine is amazing! it really reminds me of Ghibli.
Jan 10, 2020 5:33 PM
Jan 2018
YamEnele said:
The movie they saw reminds me of Ghibli's movie Castle in the Sky.

You mean the anime screening they were watching with other people?
It's actually a 70s show by Hayao Miyazaki before Ghibli: "Future Boy Conan", or "Mirai Shounen Conan".
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2020

144 by Perrin4869 »»
Apr 22, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2020

76 by Kristiwazhere »»
Apr 11, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2020

100 by poguschampus »»
Apr 6, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2020

98 by little_raven »»
Mar 9, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2020

92 by ibanezpunkotaku »»
Dec 25, 2023 1:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.