Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2019 1:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can see that very few people have watched this so far so I started the discussion here.

Pretty good compilation film with some new scenes at the end or am I remembering wrong? The death of Mitty and the subsequent teamup with Nanachi felt more fleshed out somehow. The bit with Prushka at the end feels new too. Maybe I just have terrible memory?

Really looking forward to the sequel film. Will they find her mother and discover the secrets of the Abbyss? This is going to be good.
FarabeufDec 5, 2019 1:24 AM
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 14, 2019 7:29 AM

May 2010
I've juste finished the 2nd movie and i have the same feelings... but i know that i have a terrible memory soooo^^'

I'm gonna buy the manga soon !
Jan 12, 2020 7:33 PM

Feb 2013
Where can i watch it?
Jan 13, 2020 4:37 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pyoung said:
Where can i watch it?

Wakanim has it in Europe. I don't know for other regions
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 16, 2020 5:14 PM

Dec 2017
yeah, i don't remember the ending scene being in the tv show either. either way, didn't think the feels would hit me for the second time. probably just an evidence of how good that moment is

also the music was really good, love the brass instruments in play
Jan 18, 2020 6:01 AM
Jan 2010
Farabeuf said:
Pyoung said:
Where can i watch it?

Wakanim has it in Europe. I don't know for other regions

Im sad i have a sub on Wakanim but its not available for my region here in germany so its available for French, Russia and so on but not germany.
DarkvoidJan 18, 2020 6:05 AM

Jan 26, 2020 8:56 PM
Mar 2015
Great movie There should be a special place in hell for the scientist who experimented on those children
Liked Rika's dream when she was able to feel Mitty
Feb 19, 2020 10:37 PM

Mar 2019
Finally i was able to watch it...

The Best thing of this Movie, is that the next part is even hella better...

No Words... Only the sounds of my heart tearing apart...

Now i need to watch the 3rd movie........ the chapter 54 in manga..... and season 2...

PS: THE MIABYSS HYPE IS INDESCRIBABLE!!!
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 3, 2020 1:34 AM

Mar 2017
I'm glad I forgot the spoiler of seeing Prushka at the end, because I was very surprised. :o
And of course I still bawled at Mitty's final scene again.

'nom'
Jun 4, 2020 6:40 AM

May 2016
It's only been a few years since I've first seen the series but rewatching it now through this movie made my opinion of the series all the more higher than back then. The first recap movie was great but the second one had all of the hardest hitting moments that was memorable to me back and it made me feel just as emotional as the first time I've seen those scenes, if not more.

Never have I had the need for the third movie and the 2nd season more than right now...

Jul 8, 2020 9:45 AM

Mar 2019
Yea it's the other part of MiA. The more "emotional" one. I still don't really care about Mitty.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Oct 18, 2020 9:32 PM

Jul 2016
As with the first one, decent summary movie for the most emotional part of the series. Instantly cried like a bitch from the moment Mitty first showed up.

7/10
Nov 14, 2020 6:31 AM

Oct 2013
If this just adapted the last 5 episodes, I assume it didn't have to cut much, yeah?

Mitty got me misty-eyed once again. :'(

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 21, 2021 1:57 AM

Aug 2012
Haven't seen the first anime in years at this point, and haven't seen the first recap movie since it first aired in theatres, so my memory of the series is a lot more foggy but I'm still confident that ending sequence with Bondrewd, and it was incredibly interesting. I wonder what Prushka's role is, and if maybe this will give additional context to why Bondrewd is such a horrible monster, or maybe she's just a more successful experiment, or maybe just another girl who's prepping for worst experiments, though that seems the least likely to me, since her introduction presented a different dynamic to the one we saw he had with Mitty and Nanachi.

The only thing cut from the anime I can remember is that there was like an episode where Riko had to deal without Reg when they were descending in the beginning, I remember reading that was filler so that's probably why.

But what I did remember is the brutality of the Orb Piercer's poison on Riko as Reg tries his best to desperately save her, and how heartbreaking Nanachi and Mitty's relationship is. Did this help me get through this? Not really, those sequences still hit like a ton of bricks. I didn't cry but boy did I came close to Nanachi's goodbye to Mitty. The storyline is very simplistic but very emotional evocative in a way few series would even dare to get. I didn't remember actually seeing Mitty's transformation but I'm guessing I blocked that out of my memory due to the horrific nature of it.

I am a bit conflicted on how to rank this in all honesty. I gave the first season of Made in Abyss a 9, and this arc is primarily the reason for it, along with the amazing visuals and OST, but I don't know I'm feeling an 8 here. I think in part, it's largely the knowledge that this is a recap, and it serves that function greatly, in fact from what I can remember, I think this would even function as a good substitute for those episodes.

Maybe it's knowing that this is mostly reused material, the fact that it's my second time viewing, or even the fact that I might prefer this arc in the episodic structure. Like, I remember in the anime when Nanachi delivers the whammiest of wham lines "please kill Mitty for me", and that's where the episode ends. It leaves you with that bombshell, and even though you can just skip to the next episode, there's still that like lingering cliffhanger sensation that is absent in the movie. And granted, having already watched it I wouldn't have felt that way again on an series re-watch, at least to the same extent but I'm just trying to explain a way in which the episodic nature benefitted for me.

Anyway, still a really great movie, 8/10. Mostly excited for the next movie, slightly concerned about how much horrific suffering will be included.
Jul 6, 2022 6:12 AM

Sep 2018
Comfortably better than Movie 1, because there is far more emotion felt in this film, thanks to what takes place in the 2nd recap movie. 9/10. I watched the 3rd film not too long ago, so I'm just gonna go straight to the 2nd season I think....
Jul 31, 2022 4:56 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It's been five years but my stance towards the last few episodes of the series and this movie is the same, heartbreaking stuff truly. Bondrewd's motives, I'm sure there's a reason why he's doing this but nothing could justify it. Especially the part where Bondrewd conducted those hideous experiments to find out about Mitty's immortality and likewise with Nanachi to end his misery. Fudge, the scene where Nanachi stopped Reg to have one final conversation with Mitty though...

And then there's the part with Riko's injury. Reg held his composure when it mattered and credits to Nanachi for lending more than just a helping hand. It's incredible how mature she is for her age, not asking Reg for the request until he brought it up for example. Glad to see her join the duo, and Bondrewd, here they come!

Another solid recap, it didn't feel as rushed as the first movie this time for understandable reasons. Solid 8/10 from here.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 20, 2022 2:16 PM
May 2020
nanachi's backstory doesnt fail to make me emotional. flipping hell
Aug 28, 2022 2:23 AM

Feb 2014
Dang my heartstrings have been PULLED holy crap ;_______; Riko's arm, Mitty and Nanachi's backstory, etc. there was so much emotional pain here D':

Forgot Nanachi wasn't Riko's mom lol oops. But now they're gonna go down to where evil dude is o.o I wonder who that kid is. Maybe one of his subjects that passed his testing perfectly?

9-10/10, gonna go watch movie 3!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2022 6:37 PM
Feb 2017
yooooooooooooooooo
Nov 5, 2022 8:56 AM

Jul 2019
Uff... without the wholesome moments from the first half or the first movie if you so will this was a very tough watch emotionally speaking. Qualitywise outstanding but it felt like a punch into the guts.

Characters adorable and beautifully animated, music and exquisite backgrounds work wonderfully together and it was intriguing through and through. This is what created MiA's reputation.
Aug 30, 2023 5:53 AM
May 2019
heart-breaking, just as expected :c
Dec 7, 2023 11:46 PM

Nov 2023
Well it was a refresher for some ofthe few episodes so far in the Made in Abyss anime show
Dec 9, 2023 6:47 PM

Apr 2021
This summary is very good. I was surprised by this ending, I didn't see this scene. 8/10

More topics from this board

» Two movies?

Zero_JM3 - Mar 19, 2018

32 by 9112001 »»
Sep 20, 2022 2:14 AM

» This movie should have a Horror Tag

xKarosu - Jul 25, 2020

4 by xKarosu »»
Aug 3, 2022 2:00 PM

» why it just jump out to movie 2?

k4fourteen - Jul 29, 2021

4 by KoutaScofield »»
Jan 12, 2022 9:19 AM

» How can I watch it?

Pyoung - Jul 5, 2019

9 by CuteAssTiger »»
Sep 1, 2020 11:36 AM

» Discussion

Zero_JM3 - Mar 19, 2018

3 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 2019 11:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.