Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 2, 2019 9:33 AM
May 2018
I'v always wanna watch gundam but not sure where to start.
Dec 2, 2019 9:38 AM
May 2019
I recently found this guides while I was browsing reddit hope they help~

Dec 2, 2019 9:39 AM

Oct 2018
Just go onto this site and you should find the watch order to almost all animes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/watch_order#wiki_gundam
Dec 2, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
My brother is interested in Gundam so I shared this ANN article with him. It doesn't contain watch order but does talk about which shows are worth watching.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461
Dec 2, 2019 9:49 AM

May 2016
Watch everything in release order--the way God Tomino intended.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 2, 2019 9:50 AM

Feb 2015
If the shows you're interested in are not part of the universal century (the original timeline), then it doesn't matter in what order you watch them.

If you want to get into the UC, these are the main anime:

-Mobile Suit Gundam/Gundam movie trilogy
-Zeta Gundam
-ZZ Gundam
-Char's Counterattack
Dec 2, 2019 10:04 AM

Nov 2019
I am not at all surprised that is a Reddit chart. Wing is trash to avoid, and takes the high-tier spot that belongs to IBO.

I'd rec 08th MS Team first, it's the best entry point to UC if you want to get sucked into that rabbit hole. it's roughly contemporaneous with 0079 but benefits from much better animation and art. It's also not 50+ episodes. 0083 can also be enjoyed by someone less familiar with the Gundam franchise, and features more of the overpowered prototype trope Gundam is known for.

If you like super robo or battle shounen, watch G Gundam. IBO is also good if you want the real robo without the sprawling plot that UC has. Gundam SEED is basically a condensed 0079 with largely the same plot devices but with different names and a little edgier.

If you do end up liking 08th MS Team and/or 0083, then I'd suggest watching things chronologically.
ItsaNicoDec 2, 2019 10:16 AM
Nico nico ni~eed a siggy like the all the cool kids
Really wish we had a rep system so I could farm it and spam rep+
Dec 2, 2019 10:05 AM

Apr 2010
Zelkiiro said:

That's the only way you should ever watch Gundam
Dec 2, 2019 12:09 PM

Feb 2019
Zeroflamez said:
Zelkiiro said:

IMO Watch order is only a rule that you need to follow for Universal Century, and even then only sometimes. 0079>Zeta>ZZ>Char’s is a sacred and inviolable rule. Anything else in UC, it really depends on what it is; I watched The Origin after I finished 0079 and nothing was a spoiler, and I think that’s the case for War in the Pocket and 08th MS. Unicorn is only OK after Char’s, and NT is only after Unicorn. Anything in the rest of UC, I’m not 100% sure.

With some exceptions, any AU is ok to watch without a background in UC. Gundam Wing was the introduction to Gundam for a lot of people; 00 filled that role for me. The only ones I would be hesitant on are After War Gundam X (I’ve seen Episode 1, but I can’t speak for the rest of the series) and Turn A and Reconguista in G (definitely watch UC first).

If you’re not quite up to the Universal Century (the animation is a bit janky and 70s, but that’s not a big deal for some people), I’d recommend either Wing (though people have given complaints about its plot and characters, as I said, it was the introduction for much of the fanbase), 00 (in my opinion, though it starts to taper off in quality in season 2, and the movie could definitely be better, it’s still overall a great series), or Iron Blooded Orphans (even though it comparatively skimps on the action, its characterization is probably the best in the entire franchise).

tl;dr

Start with 0079, Wing, 00, or Iron Blooded Orphans. 0079 if you want the OG Gundam experience, Iron Blooded Orphans if you want a newer series with less action. Otherwise, Wing or 00, they’re basically the same show.
"No matter who you are, you have strengths and weaknesses based on your character. A king has his own strengths... a chef has his unique ones as well. That's what it means to live." - DIO

Dec 2, 2019 12:12 PM

Feb 2010
Xstasy said:

considering that Turn A gundam, is
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 2, 2019 1:37 PM

Jul 2019
Start with Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin obviously it really explains well the goal of the two main character of the Universal Century.
Then 0079
Then 0080
Then 0083
Then Zeta Gundam
Then The 08th MS Team (The Best One)
Then Unicorn
Then Thunderbolt
Dec 2, 2019 1:53 PM

Jan 2017
start with either origin or 0079 if you wanna start with UC (main) timeline

or just start with IBO since it's the most epic AU out there
Dec 2, 2019 1:57 PM

Jun 2016
The UC timeline goes like this: The Origin > 0079/movies(I, II, III) > 0083 > zeta > ZZ > char's counterattack > UC > NT > F91
Side stories like 0080, thunderbolt, igloo and 08 MS team take place during the war of 0079
If you wanna go for an alternate timeline, 00 and iron blooded orphans are the most accessible and "shōnen-like" but you can watch them at any order since they are not related to the main timeline. Other alternate timeline series include wing, turn A and seed
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 2, 2019 2:20 PM

Aug 2018
Xstasy said:

I like the guide and I find it pretty cool, BUT, I'll never get how people overrate Gundam Wing SO MUCH. It's not a bad show, but the love it gets it's pure nostalgia... and I'm saying this as someone that used to love it too.

Also, Iron orphans is one of the best Gundams out there, imo is as good as the UC.

PS: I know that it isn't your list, but I needed to say this.
Dec 2, 2019 2:26 PM

Apr 2010
Kira__Yoshikage said:
Zeroflamez said:

IMO Watch order is only a rule that you need to follow for Universal Century, and even then only sometimes. 0079>Zeta>ZZ>Char’s is a sacred and inviolable rule. Anything else in UC, it really depends on what it is; I watched The Origin after I finished 0079 and nothing was a spoiler, and I think that’s the case for War in the Pocket and 08th MS. Unicorn is only OK after Char’s, and NT is only after Unicorn. Anything in the rest of UC, I’m not 100% sure.

With some exceptions, any AU is ok to watch without a background in UC. Gundam Wing was the introduction to Gundam for a lot of people; 00 filled that role for me. The only ones I would be hesitant on are After War Gundam X (I’ve seen Episode 1, but I can’t speak for the rest of the series) and Turn A and Reconguista in G (definitely watch UC first).

If you’re not quite up to the Universal Century (the animation is a bit janky and 70s, but that’s not a big deal for some people), I’d recommend either Wing (though people have given complaints about its plot and characters, as I said, it was the introduction for much of the fanbase), 00 (in my opinion, though it starts to taper off in quality in season 2, and the movie could definitely be better, it’s still overall a great series), or Iron Blooded Orphans (even though it comparatively skimps on the action, its characterization is probably the best in the entire franchise).

tl;dr

Start with 0079, Wing, 00, or Iron Blooded Orphans. 0079 if you want the OG Gundam experience, Iron Blooded Orphans if you want a newer series with less action. Otherwise, Wing or 00, they’re basically the same show.

I've seen all of the franchise. So I'm pretty well versed in the Gundam Universe. Gundam X doesn't need any prior Gundam Knowledge to enjoy, it's stand alone. In terms of Watch order for Universal Century definitely I'd go with UC 0079-008th MS team- War in the pocket-Stardust memories-Zeta-ZZ-CCA-Unicorn-NT. The only reason I slot the side stories in between even though they COULD be viewed alone is because it's easier to understand and enjoy what's going on with the prior Knowledge of the One Year War. Especially for Star Dust memories and War in a Pocket because they take place after 0079 and reference some plot points that you won't get much out of unless having seen 0079. 008th MS team is fine to watch solo but having prior knowledge of the UC universe helps. The only Side Story I'd say that you can watch completely on its own and in fact actually enjoy more than having watched any other U.C stuff first is Gundam Thunder Bolt. It's so completely detached from the U.C Continuity that it feels like a fan fiction.

As for the final U.C Stories Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam, both can be watched alone. They are far enough into the future to be able to go in with no prior knowledge. But make sure to watch F91 first then Victory.

Can't agree with you on 00 and Wing being the same show. They share similarities but are different. For a Start Gundam, I'd recommend Gundam 00 over anything else. Awesome animation, good art. Decent plot, decent characters, good music. Just overall entertaining from start to finish regardless of Season 2 and the movie's issues. Wing is bogged down by boring poorly written politics and poor pacing. IBO suffers from too many poorly written characters, a questionable plot and a conclusion that feels really forced and well.. stupid.

DaCraziGuy said:
I like the guide and I find it pretty cool, BUT, I'll never get how people overrate Gundam Wing SO MUCH. It's not a bad show, but the love it gets it's pure nostalgia... and I'm saying this as someone that used to love it too.

Also, Iron orphans is one of the best Gundams out there, imo is as good as the UC.

PS: I know that it isn't your list, but I needed to say this.

I think IBO gets too much praise. You can really feel that is was only meant to be only 26 episodes. Cause the 1st season is was fine but the second season just got so much worse. The writing is just all over the place and characters do things that make zero sense just to forward the plot.

ZeroflamezDec 2, 2019 2:33 PM
Dec 2, 2019 2:34 PM

Mar 2016
Xstasy said:

Now that I have found these holy scriptures I can finally start watching Gundam.
So long 50 other anime in my Currently Watching list!
Dec 2, 2019 2:52 PM

May 2013
I personally recommend release order. Makes the UC timeline a great ride.

Watch any AU you want just remember UC is the best timeline.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Dec 2, 2019 3:09 PM

Oct 2008
Xstasy said:

Yup, Gundam Seed Destiny was absolutely trash and only good thing about it was the Strike Freedom Gundam.
Dec 3, 2019 2:16 AM

May 2018
"Gundam watching order"

The OP should firstly realize that Gundam is not one unified show but a decent number of alternative independent worlds with very different tone, style and themes.
For example the original world Universal Century is real robot, Mobile Fighter G Gundam is super robot and battle shounen, Gundam Build Fighters is sport/hobby ect. ect.

So maybe its a good idea before starting the franchise to learn how to navigate in this multiverse (like reading the Wikipedia page or some other publication) and choosing where to start.

If it will be the original world - Universal Century watching by release order (but only titles which are part of UC) is a good idea...
But maybe going with the compilation 0079 movies instead of the first TV series and skipping on Gundam Victory.
Starting UC with Gundan: The Origin works too.

Another approach is to start with one of the stand-alone worlds just to test the water. Personally I recommend Gundam 00 but it appears that Gundam IBO is quite popular nowadays (I dropped it because I an not a fan of Mari Okada's writing.).

hazarddex said:

considering that Turn A

Isn't it Gundam: G no Reconguista after it?
Dec 3, 2019 8:31 AM
Jul 2018
Tried watching the original series first, but it really dragged on. Switched to the three movies instead and it was fine.
I suggest you start there.

After that, once you have a general idea of the conflict, you can go straight to War in the Pocket and The 08th MS Team. Two absolute masterpieces.
Dec 3, 2019 10:48 AM

Feb 2010
alshu said:
"Gundam watching order"

The OP should firstly realize that Gundam is not one unified show but a decent number of alternative independent worlds with very different tone, style and themes.
For example the original world Universal Century is real robot, Mobile Fighter G Gundam is super robot and battle shounen, Gundam Build Fighters is sport/hobby ect. ect.

So maybe its a good idea before starting the franchise to learn how to navigate in this multiverse (like reading the Wikipedia page or some other publication) and choosing where to start.

If it will be the original world - Universal Century watching by release order (but only titles which are part of UC) is a good idea...
But maybe going with the compilation 0079 movies instead of the first TV series and skipping on Gundam Victory.
Starting UC with Gundan: The Origin works too.

Another approach is to start with one of the stand-alone worlds just to test the water. Personally I recommend Gundam 00 but it appears that Gundam IBO is quite popular nowadays (I dropped it because I an not a fan of Mari Okada's writing.).

hazarddex said:

considering that Turn A

Isn't it Gundam: G no Reconguista after it?

no Gundam G no Reconguista also takes place before it.

https://otakurevolution.com/content/falldogs-guide-to-gundam-canon-and-timelines
GrimAtramentDec 3, 2019 10:52 AM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 3, 2019 11:07 AM

May 2018
hazarddex said:

Doesn't make sense to me...or maybe Earth is already teleported in another galaxy (the Venus Sphere project)...in my headcanon Turn A doesn't exist anyway.
Dec 3, 2019 11:18 AM

Jun 2014
Start with the original 1979 Gundam series. Then, you can either go straight to Zeta, or you can watch "0080: War in the Pocket" and "0083: Stardust Memory" first. After Zeta, watch ZZ(You're not a real Gundam fan if you skip ZZ,) and then "Char's Counterattack."

Dec 3, 2019 11:24 AM
Apr 2016
Any order really. While you might not understand the references the spirit of Gundam is there in each entry... except for Reconguista cannot talk about it.
Re:formed
Dec 3, 2019 12:00 PM

Feb 2010
alshu said:
hazarddex said:

Doesn't make sense to me...or maybe Earth is already teleported in another galaxy (the Venus Sphere project)...in my headcanon Turn A doesn't exist anyway.

why? Turn A is one of the best in the series.

also sunrise offical canon > headcanon.

meaning if your going to have a factual conversation about gundam. officially Turn A is the last one in all timelines.
GrimAtramentDec 3, 2019 12:05 PM

Dec 3, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2018
hazarddex said:

Worst than Victory and Age putted together actually.

hazarddex said:

Yeah the moustached Gundam canon.

hazarddex said:

meaning if your going to have a factual conversation about gundam. officially Turn A is the last one in all timelines.

Nearly ended my interest in Gundam too...it taught me to skip.
Dec 3, 2019 3:12 PM

Feb 2010
alshu said:
hazarddex said:

hazarddex said:

hazarddex said:

Nearly ended my interest in Gundam too...it taught me to skip.

probably one of the best storylines in the gundam series. and much better then wing gundam any day of the week with it's "we will stop wars by causing more wars." story line.

storyline > gundam desgin. blade runner desginer says hi.

also Turn X is probably one of my favorite mobile suit designs next to the MSM-03C Hygogg

tomino asked turn a gundam look that way to purposefully not make it the best toy to sell as far as gundams go.
GrimAtramentDec 3, 2019 3:15 PM

Dec 3, 2019 11:21 PM

May 2018
hazarddex said:

probably one of the best storylines in the gundam series

I don't know man, at episode 5 I was furious and dropped it.
There are two types of Tomino stories - entertainingly crazy and distractingly crazy. This was from the second type.

hazarddex said:
and much better then wing gundam

You can say that about 90% of Gundam.

hazarddex said:

I know it's canon but its absurdity and ugliness are iconic.
alshuDec 3, 2019 11:37 PM
Dec 4, 2019 2:18 AM

Feb 2010
alshu said:
hazarddex said:

probably one of the best storylines in the gundam series

I don't know man, at episode 5 I was furious and dropped it.
There are two types of Tomino stories - entertainingly crazy and distractingly crazy. This was from the second type.

hazarddex said:
and much better then wing gundam

You can say that about 90% of Gundam.

hazarddex said:

I know it's canon but its absurdity and ugliness are iconic.

hey man i'm not editing your words so why are you changing mine? rude.

mech designs isn't everything don't be so shallow.
i enjoy gundam for the characters the mechs are just a side bonus.

and Turn A has some of the best and realistic cast in the gundam series and some of the best character development.

that said i do like syd mead mech designs. what you have against the man that basically made scifi degins what it is today?

and honestly i enjoy turn a gundams desgin more then say idk wing gundam's endeless waltz mechs or the iron blood orphanages designs or dare i say *cough* seed. *cough*

although if we are going to just argue about dungam desgins then crossbone is the best desgined gundam. while turn X is probably again one of my favorite mobile suits.
GrimAtramentDec 4, 2019 2:26 AM

Dec 4, 2019 2:39 AM

May 2018
hazarddex said:

hey man i'm not editing your words so why are you changing mine? rude.

My mistake, I messed up the tags in edit - this is actually something that I said previously.

hazarddex said:
mech designs isn't everything don't be so shallow.

The story was worst but it was the combination of different elements that got me.

hazarddex said:
and Turn A has some of the best and realistic cast in the gundam series and some of the best character development.

5 episodes in there wasn't even one believable character.
Not a Tomino thing either - he likes them grotesque, confusing and confused.

Can't tell about the developments of course since I dropped it early.

hazarddex said:
what you have against the man that basically made scifi degins what it is today?

Even the best athlete can't win all the races. He is good at building and background stuff - I guess mecha design is not his forte.

hazarddex said:
wing gundam's endeless waltz mechs or the iron blood orphanages designs or dare i say *cough* seed. *cough*

OK. I am not a fan of those designs too.

hazarddex said:
although if we are going to just argue about dungam desgins then crossbone is the best desgined gundam. while turn X is probably again one of my favorite mobile suits.

I would prefer something from Gundam 00 or G no Reconguista (some crazy stuff and references to old designs there).
alshuDec 4, 2019 2:48 AM
Dec 4, 2019 9:41 PM
Aug 2019
I was always under the impression that you didn't need to watch it a specific order..didn't know there was some chronology to it

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

235 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

8 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

60 by Pinoffin »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

29 by Hitagi__Furude »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 5 hours ago

13 by cyandaqil »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.