Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2019 4:42 PM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is episode 22 on Crunchy Roll.
Nov 28, 2019 5:59 PM

Sep 2012
Breunschweig's death scene was much better than in the OVA, well done. In the OVA it was more like two men arguing, here Ansbach's mix of sadness, challanged loyalty and disgust, as well as Breunschweig's desperation, resignation and genuine fear and disbelief, made it much more memorable and subtle. More human and personal - genuine. Music was nice too.

Reunthal's reaction to Flegel's challange - "dude wtf?"
Nov 28, 2019 6:06 PM
Mar 2015
The old Empire is dead
Nov 28, 2019 8:41 PM

Jan 2011
older Farenheit

Braunschwegh death was done very well
Nov 28, 2019 11:46 PM

Mar 2016
yeah this adaptation did the emotions better. i could actually imagine myself in braunschweig's place when he realized he was going to die, even though this guy literally committed mass genocide two episodes ago
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 29, 2019 2:00 AM

Jun 2013
I actually feel that this episode is inferior to the corresponding OVA episode in terms of execution. It seems as if this adaptation tries to get away with the minimum possible amount of dialogue and exposition, which makes each scene disjointed from each other, and also makes the universe feels small, despite the vast constellation of characters inhabiting in it. This is not just a problem of this episode, but also the previous ones as well. For example, Vice Admiral Fahrenheit, the only other competent admiral in the nobles' coalition, got practically zero screentime until this episode. What was he doing before then? We weren't told.

Anyway, the battle itself is also rather bare-bones, and it is not clearly depicted how Reinhard's forces managed to occupy Geiersburg Fortress without any meaningful retaliation by the fortress defence system (which is supposed to be second only to Iserlohn Fortress).

PS: I guess I'm biased but I think the OVA depicted Braunschweig's patheticness better than this version.
Nov 29, 2019 3:28 AM

Sep 2011
It's time for that next episode.
Nov 29, 2019 5:33 AM

Nov 2016
Pathetic till the very end, good riddance.

I'm quite concerned about the changing dynamics between Reinhard and Kircheis, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 29, 2019 7:02 AM

Sep 2014
I also think that Braunschweig's death was handled better in this version. Still, very disappointed though how much they undermined the Westerland incident and Reinhard's way of handling the whole situation. They also remembered that Fahrenheit actually exists. Now I hope the next episode will do justice a certain moment.
Nov 29, 2019 7:22 AM

Dec 2015
I wish we can have more scenes with Hilda :( In earlier episodes of the OVA (after her intro) I thought her real name is Fraulein Mariendorf, until I googled her name.... and got spoiled real hard (in a pleasant way)

My man Admiral Fahrenheit. One of my favorite admirals on Imperial side.

Captain Leopold Schumacher, at first I thought he just a random adjutant, but when his name appeared, I remembered his role in the OVA

And Schneider is one of my favorite side character in the OVA too. He's a really good and loyal guy.

Ahh, yes it's about time we will be able to use one of the main meme of LotGH regrettably
Nov 29, 2019 8:13 AM

Feb 2008
Ever so graceful, Braunschweig.
Nov 29, 2019 8:13 AM

Oct 2013
Man I'm just more reminded how lame the series is without the prequels
in the main series just feels like Kircheis is friends with Reinhard because he wants to bang his sister
but in the prequels they at least show how they hang for several years and have adventures and showing their ideals to each other.
So feels earned if taking into account the prequels when their friendship is put in a struggle after this event but without it this doesn't feel earned since Kircheis hardly does anything in the main series to me
Nov 29, 2019 9:34 AM

Mar 2016
MagisterArcanum said:
I actually feel that this episode is inferior to the corresponding OVA episode in terms of execution. It seems as if this adaptation tries to get away with the minimum possible amount of dialogue and exposition, which makes each scene disjointed from each other, and also makes the universe feels small, despite the vast constellation of characters inhabiting in it. This is not just a problem of this episode, but also the previous ones as well. For example, Vice Admiral Fahrenheit, the only other competent admiral in the nobles' coalition, got practically zero screentime until this episode. What was he doing before then? We weren't told.

Anyway, the battle itself is also rather bare-bones, and it is not clearly depicted how Reinhard's forces managed to occupy Geiersburg Fortress without any meaningful retaliation by the fortress defence system (which is supposed to be second only to Iserlohn Fortress).

PS: I guess I'm biased but I think the OVA depicted Braunschweig's patheticness better than this version.
if we're just going by how pathetic he was, then the ova did it better but braunschweig was better portrayed as an actual human here. him not knowing that the wine was poison until it was right in front of him lead to a better setup where you could clearly see his desire to live override his desire to die a dignified death. that brief internal struggle where he considered drinking it himself may have been short but it did wonders for the character.
Aure0linNov 29, 2019 5:28 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 29, 2019 10:39 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Gaerled said:
Breunschweig's death scene was much better than in the OVA, well done. In the OVA it was more like two men arguing, here Ansbach's mix of sadness, challanged loyalty and disgust, as well as Breunschweig's desperation, resignation and genuine fear and disbelief, made it much more memorable and subtle. More human and personal - genuine. Music was nice too.

Reunthal's reaction to Flegel's challange - "dude wtf?"

A big fan of the original OVA, but you're right, they handled this scene much more poignantly here: Anschbach's pain and sense of disappointment was more palpable here.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 29, 2019 12:30 PM

Mar 2013
Deknijff said:
in the main series just feels like Kircheis is friends with Reinhard because he wants to bang his sister
but in the prequels they at least show how they hang for several years and have adventures and showing their ideals to each other.
So feels earned if taking into account the prequels when their friendship is put in a struggle after this event but without it this doesn't feel earned since Kircheis hardly does anything in the main series to me

I too am hoping maybe they'll be able to go back and flush out Kircheis more. He deserves it

Because we know they didn't with Wen-li and Jessica.
Nov 29, 2019 1:36 PM
Jul 2019
Well then it looks like these nobilities know only how to give a command but not fight a battle like that of Baron Flegel who asked for a one on one battle with Admiral Reuthal but got denied beside why would they since they're already in a winning streak and them Nobilities were losing, too bad Baron Felgel died in the hands of his own men..................Welp, at the end Braunschweig still hasn't gasp the realities that he has nothing to bargain with and has to die by Ansbach's poison wine or should I say got drown by forcing the wine down his throat........

Well with the Glodenbaum gone , I guess we all know who's gonna take over, if you guys know who I mean.....
Nov 29, 2019 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
and the death of the old empire has finally arrived ,good episode as always

sad disgusting man to the very end he got easy and even then he couldn't show a bit of dignity
Nov 30, 2019 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
broodo said:
Deknijff said:
I too am hoping maybe they'll be able to go back and flush out Kircheis more. He deserves it

Because we know they didn't with Wen-li and Jessica.
hmmm?
But Yang also has a prequel anime. Sure its not the whole season but like more than half
Dec 1, 2019 1:54 AM

Oct 2008
gloruois episode! that fatass is out of the game!
i wanna see what would happened if the other Admiral of the Empire would join Yang Wen-li! damn!
5/5.

Dec 1, 2019 1:57 AM

Dec 2015
Some minor changes compared to the novel. But this time only re-arranging the order. (Which is better in the anime.)

There was a flashback with Kircheis/Reinhard which they'll probably bring later in the next episodes. I think at the beginning this was fully the message of Annerose only - which also was described in the novel. But they had this later after the meeting of Kircheis and Reinhard (and their argument) at the same time he also received the message from Hilda.

Reuenthal and Mittermeyer commenting on Oberstein and the no need for a numer two ... there was a minor change. In the novel thee were playing poker somewhere. Here it was on some train or something.

Finally Reinhard sending Oberstein to take preparations against the other enemies in their back (Odin/Lichtenlade) in the novel was before the dialoge between Merkatz and Schneider.

Other than that some small stuff at the end omitted - which probably will get a few seconds in the next episode.

I really liked Schneider and Merkatz in the old OVA. And looking forward to see more of them again. This was one of my favorite scenes with Schneider showing loyalty preventing Merkatz from committing suicide and even staying at his side not taking the suggestion to go to Reinhard.

Next episode would be for the last chapter of volume 2 in the novel. Where they might take 2 episodes to animate it. Thought he episode name - as seen in preview - is already the name of that chapter and you'd have expected to use that as the episode name for the last episode. Maybe the'll do stuff from the beginning of volume 3. My guess though is that they are spliting empire (first) and alliance in two episodes. Both had about half of last chapter in the novel - describing the aftermaths of the civil wars.
LuthandoriusDec 1, 2019 2:05 AM
Dec 3, 2019 2:27 PM

Sep 2007
I really liked how they handled Reinhardt allowing the civilian massacre here. In the OVA it felt too on the nose, like the narrative did its best to explain away and give excuses why he did that horrible thing. Here you see his horror before it happens, his anger and coldness after it happens, and it's all framed by Kircheis's presence saying - without saying it explicitly - "if only he was there". I like this kind of more subtle storytelling better than the slow pace with everything explicitly explained 5 times over in the OVAs.
Dec 13, 2019 6:16 AM

Jun 2017
A fitting death and end for all those nobles. The old Empire is dead, all hail Reinhard Lohengramm
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jan 16, 2020 11:24 PM

Dec 2013
Old noble leader died as he lived. Pathetically.
Feb 14, 2020 6:43 AM

Jun 2009
Jan 11, 2021 5:39 AM

Jan 2009
finally Reinhard defeats the nobles eh

but will he be a good Emperor though?
Jun 16, 2021 11:20 PM

Jul 2012
Ok, I have to say it, I hated how they treated Reinhard with Westerland in this adaptation. In the OVA, when Oberstein advised they just let them nuke it, he didn't go with it instantly but said that he would make the final decision (stopping the nuking or not) at the last minute. But Oberstein lied to him about the time the attack was programmed, so it happened before Reinhard could make a decision. This was way better than Reinhard just turning "Oberstein" just like that...
Jul 20, 2023 1:17 AM

Aug 2019
At least his dead was painless

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 3 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheCommoner - Dec 5, 2019

67 by MegamiRem »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:23 AM

» Should Seiran 1,2,3 be merged?

SnowyNix - May 13, 2022

8 by Yagami-Zero »»
Oct 1, 2023 2:02 PM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 3 Episode 4 Discussion

Tellatez - Dec 12, 2019

45 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 20, 2023 4:55 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 3 Episode 1 Discussion

TheCommoner - Nov 21, 2019

24 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 20, 2023 12:51 AM

» Sequel

tsubasalover - Sep 14, 2020

10 by -Hyunckel- »»
Feb 27, 2022 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.