Forum Settings
Forums

Demon Slayer Manga Overtakes Bleach and My Hero Academia in Volume Sales in Same Time Period

New
Nov 24, 2019 9:15 AM

Jan 2015

It’s no secret that Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba manga volumes are hard to find in Japan and hard to keep on the shelves. With some confirmed numbers and maths, let's take a fun look at where the series is compared to other popular series during the same time frame of their manga run.

With over 20 million copies sold as of Volume 17, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is up there as one of the biggest manga ever, with rumors (and maths) that the series has sold more than One Piece manga volumes have this year. Though, the data for that will be released by Oricon later in November.

To compare with some other popular Shonen Jump series. One-Punch Man celebrated its 20th volume being released this year in Japan. The manga illustrator Yusuke Murata tweeted out an image of the manga cover with a slip-on it that announced the series has had 20 million copies in print as of its 20th volume.

For some more popular series, the chart above showcases the upwards trajectory of the ‘Big 3’ and My Hero Academia – though, in Japan, One Piece has always sold the most, with Naruto and Bleach near the top, but not always depending on the year and other series being released around the same time.

While One Piece sales are literally off the chart, at the release of Volume 17 of their respective series, Naruto had sold 24 million copies in 2003, Bleach at 18 million copies in 2005, and My Hero Academia at 13 million copies in 2018. Demon Slayer, while trailing at the start of sales, shoots up when the anime series ended and has overtaken where Bleach was in 2005 at 20 million copies sold in Japan.

When the anime for Bleach started in 2004, the series had 14 volumes on sale, which totaled 10 million total sales for the series. The anime series continued uninterrupted until it ended in 2012 at 366 episodes. Bleach would cross the 20 million copies sold mark at volume 18.

When Demon Slayer started airing its anime, the series had 15 volumes on sale. The total sales of all the volumes up to that point was 5 million copies. The series reached the 20 million sales mark with volume 17, which went on sale on October 4, 2019. Now, just before the release of volume 18 on December 4, it will be interesting to see if bookstores can keep their heads this time around.

[Original Article]
Nov 25, 2019 1:34 AM

Apr 2009
That's a lot of copies especially in such a short amount of time;). Bless Ufotable for blessing this manga in which I like.
Nov 25, 2019 1:36 AM
Dec 2018
Outperforming One Piece didn't work out as we can see from the Twitter post from shueisha. Demon slayer sold 10 mil, and one piece 12 mil
Nov 25, 2019 1:37 AM

Nov 2011
Ufotable magic. I doubt it would be as popular if the anime is made by Pierrot.

Nov 25, 2019 2:12 AM

Jan 2015
DruMzTV said:
Outperforming One Piece didn't work out as we can see from the Twitter post from shueisha. Demon slayer sold 10 mil, and one piece 12 mil

There’s actually a lot of confusion about this topic, so I will just copy and paste what I wrote to one I was discussing with

According to Shueisha Yearly Sales, OP sold 13M while KnY sold 10M.
There’s something super off, by public known numbers Yaiba is supposed to be at 12+ million so how by Shueisha Yaiba is just around 10 million and One Piece suddenly jumps to almost 13 million? it just doesn't match at all, and if it includes digital Yaiba numbers should be much higher than 10 million. Don’t want to be that guy, but this sounds fishy to me.
Kimetsu oricon with 0 weeks missing : 12,057,628.
OP oricon with 7 weeks missing( upper boundary of 330,000 not aaccounted for) : 9,954,851.
Also like mentioned before oricon does not include digital, so according to the article:
Kny loses 2.2M
OP gained 2.4-2.8M

I don't think that Oricon, a completely indepentent actor that is active in literally every sector of the entertainment industry has a margin of error of over 25%, or else they wouldn't have a) existed for over a decade and b) wouldn't be able to get more and more data, as they for example managed to gain access to the KyoAni Bookstore this year.
Another factor as to why this seems fishy is because they focus on september for KnY sales.
Just seems all around weird as shit.
Oricon doesn't have an agenda outside of upholding their reputation and doing their job, Shueisha does.

There will be an awkward situation when Oricon Sales will come out in the next few days, ‘cause according to them KnY is #1 with 12M sales, while OP with 10M. So either the numbers were switched just for sake of OP being first, or Shueisha Sales are outdated to September. In any case, OP hasn’t sold that much. Thing is that Shueisha didn't bother to correct the number last year when OP didn't even reach 8.2 million because it was #1 anyway, according to Oricon at least. Which makes it even more suspicious
XenocrisiNov 25, 2019 2:17 AM
Nov 25, 2019 3:53 AM

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
DruMzTV said:

There’s actually a lot of confusion about this topic, so I will just copy and paste what I wrote to one I was discussing with

There’s something super off, by public known numbers Yaiba is supposed to be at 12+ million so how by Shueisha Yaiba is just around 10 million and One Piece suddenly jumps to almost 13 million? it just doesn't match at all, and if it includes digital Yaiba numbers should be much higher than 10 million. Don’t want to be that guy, but this sounds fishy to me.
OP oricon with 7 weeks missing( upper boundary of 330,000 not aaccounted for) : 9,954,851.
Also like mentioned before oricon does not include digital, so according to the article:
Kny loses 2.2M
OP gained 2.4-2.8M

I don't think that Oricon, a completely indepentent actor that is active in literally every sector of the entertainment industry has a margin of error of over 25%, or else they wouldn't have a) existed for over a decade and b) wouldn't be able to get more and more data, as they for example managed to gain access to the KyoAni Bookstore this year.
Another factor as to why this seems fishy is because they focus on september for KnY sales.
Oricon doesn't have an agenda outside of upholding their reputation and doing their job, Shueisha does.

There will be an awkward situation when Oricon Sales will come out in the next few days, ‘cause according to them KnY is #1 with 12M sales, while OP with 10M. So either the numbers were switched just for sake of OP being first, or Shueisha Sales are outdated to September. In any case, OP hasn’t sold that much. Thing is that Shueisha didn't bother to correct the number last year when OP didn't even reach 8.2 million because it was #1 anyway, according to Oricon at least. Which makes it even more suspicious

One Piece's undefeated king streak continues, it's official, stop with this conspiracy shit.

"Shueisha has an agenda" lol Yaiba is owned by Shueisha, why the fuck would they downplay one of their own series success?

Sorry Yaiba fans, close but no cigar.
SuperRedNov 25, 2019 4:01 AM
Nov 25, 2019 4:00 AM

Jan 2015
SwordRed said:
Xenocrisi said:

Kny loses 2.2M
OP gained 2.4-2.8M

One Piece's undefeated king streak continues, it's official, stop with this conspiracy shit.

Conspiracy? I’m just stating facts. You will see what I’m talking about once the Oricon Yearly Sales will be announced. And when KnY will be #1, everyone will be saying that the numbers are wrong just because OPbros want it to be #1. At the end of the day, it’s just a matter of what manga you want to take the crown for 2019 and which site you trust more. In my case I trust Oricon more. I’m not even mad tho lmao
Nov 25, 2019 4:09 AM

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
SwordRed said:

Conspiracy? I’m just stating facts. You will see what I’m talking about once the Oricon Yearly Sales will be announced. And when KnY will be #1, everyone will be saying that the numbers are wrong just because OPbros want it to be #1. At the end of the day, is just a matter of what manga you want to take the crown for 2019 and which site you trust more. In my case I trust Oricon more. I’m not even mad tho lmao

Read my mini edit.

Shueshia owns both Piece and Yaiba, their own numbers are as reliable as you can get.

I'm an OP bro but the overall sales never bothered me, OP volumes still sell way more anyway.

Almost outselling OP in any way is an achievement in itself, just take your silver prize.
Nov 25, 2019 5:01 AM

Jan 2015
@SwordRed yeah but I’m happy for both OP and KnY. I don’t care whether comes first or second, I just want manga to sell well because I care more the overall situation of the industry over this stupid war.
What I wanted to say it that I just love to talk about this topic, because it has been a while since something this interesting (manga sales) happened. I don’t want you to misunderstand me, because as much as I’m a fan of KnY, I would never want OP to be beaten this easily, since that would mean crisis for the industry (OP has a big part on the matter).
What I was doing was reporting numbers and overall opinions the internet is offering
Nov 25, 2019 5:15 AM

Nov 2012
Xenocrisi said:
@SwordRed yeah but I’m happy for both OP and KnY. I don’t care whether comes first or second, I just want manga to sell well because I care more the overall situation of the industry over this stupid war.
What I wanted to say it that I just love to talk about this topic, because it has been a while since something this interesting (manga sales) happened. I don’t want you to misunderstand me, because as much as I’m a fan of KnY, I would never want OP to be beaten this easily, since that would mean crisis for the industry (OP has a big part on the matter).
What I was doing was reporting numbers and overall opinions the internet is offering

Ok then. As long as the industry and series is doing fine is what's actually important.
Nov 25, 2019 5:26 AM

Jan 2009
a great animated anime adaptation really can boost the source material sales

the anime industry will take notice of this from now on im sure if they did not realize it by now when One Punch Man season 1 aired
Nov 27, 2019 12:43 PM
Jul 2009
Well, oricon yearly cameo out, and kny yearly sales is no. 1 surpassing OP. I'm a fan of both so I'm glad either way. But kny haters need to stop being an asshole
Nov 27, 2019 2:35 PM

Oct 2013
Great news! What to say more? :) Bravo, Kimetsu no Yaiba!
Nov 27, 2019 5:09 PM

Feb 2010
deg said:

the anime industry will take notice of this from now on im sure if they did not realize it by now when One Punch Man season 1 aired

I've been saying this for a while, but man i could think of a few series that could take this community by storm if they had Proper adaptations.

*cough* toaru majutsu no index *cough*

*cough* Dimension W *cough*

Pandora Hearts full adapation would be great as well

it honestly astonishes me how many series are literally gold making that the anime industry producers shove off to the sidelines with low budget animations.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 27, 2019 5:33 PM

Mar 2015
SwordRed said:
Xenocrisi said:

Kny loses 2.2M
OP gained 2.4-2.8M

"Shueisha has an agenda" lol Yaiba is owned by Shueisha, why the fuck would they downplay one of their own series success?

Shueisha is contradicting with Shueisha own numbers. that's the problem.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 27, 2019 5:41 PM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
deg said:

I've been saying this for a while, but man i could think of a few series that could take this community by storm if they had Proper adaptations.

*cough* toaru majutsu no index *cough*

*cough* Dimension W *cough*

Pandora Hearts full adapation would be great as well

it honestly astonishes me how many series are literally gold making that the anime industry producers shove off to the sidelines with low budget animations.

totally agree with Toaru Majutsu no Index they should have rebooted the series and be made by a better studio or staff

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2016

8 by floral_sacrifice »»
Aug 10, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2016

8 by floral_sacrifice »»
Aug 10, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 196 Discussion

Elvarth - Feb 26, 2020

43 by Meldemort »»
Aug 1, 9:30 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 179 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DemonDarknight - Oct 17, 2019

87 by Meldemort »»
Jul 31, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 103 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

14 by KcmcPro »»
Jul 26, 4:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.