Forum Settings
Forums

Do you rate anime technically or your own feelings about it?

New
Subjectively or Objectively
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 21, 2019 7:17 AM
Jan 2017
Honestly, the technical and the subjective parts kind of start to intersect for me. Shitty characters, bad plot, fights, development, and non-sense really piss me off.
For example, Babylon seems an interesting series but I can't stand the fact that the bitch's powers are too fucked up and don't make sense realistically. It's just a giant plot hole and it really killed it for me. And so I appreciate an anime like Goblin Slayer who actually has some very good fights(compared to, don't hate me, Kimetsu no Yaiba).
Nov 21, 2019 8:17 AM

Sep 2018
I rate how i feel about the show and most objective factors like good animation or few to zero plotholes add to my subjective feelings.

its a mix of both. I mean if the characters are generic and 0 developed,the story is shit but i still enjoy the show it wont get a 1 or 2.

If a show has great theming,depth and is overall great in story and characters but is most of the time more boring it wont go above 7 or so i dont know.

I just rate how I feel about the show but taking some objective things into account, it just differs how much i value them.
Nov 21, 2019 8:18 AM

Oct 2018
Rating something "objectively" is the dumbest thing you can do.
Nov 21, 2019 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
anime is a subjective medium. people who say they are objective are kidding themselves.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 21, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2010
I don't feel like there's a real objective score, then what's the point of try to give one? (And no, it's not an argument if I'm right, don't start it).

Nov 21, 2019 2:59 PM

Nov 2017
Hell, even rating solely on the technical aspects would still come down to personal feelings, since what someone considers to be "good" art, directing, animation, writing, voice work, sound design, music, pacing, etc. is entirely subjective! Not all people like the same kinds of things, and there's tons of opinions on what constitutes good directing, for example. At most you could look at things like "are characters always on model?", "is the animation choppy?", "how distorted the sound is?" and other things like that where you could plausibly evaluate how well the people making the show managed to do what they were trying to do on a technical level, but that type of rating would be incredibly limiting if it was the only thing we did.

So yeah, I'm on the subjective feelings side here.
Nov 21, 2019 4:29 PM

Oct 2019
Did I really like it? Did watching it give me a deep emotional response? Was I invested in the character arcs and was I satisfied with how it all played out? These are the questions that determine how I've rated something. The technical merits are certainly weaved in there as well, but I can't rate a gorgeous anime that didn't resonate with me on a personal level higher than an ok looking one that hit me to my core.
Nov 21, 2019 4:38 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
I rate anime both. However, my own feelings tend to conquer and that's why you could see my rating the way it is now.
Nov 21, 2019 5:57 PM

Jun 2016
Imagine rating anime oBjEcTiVeLy.
Nov 21, 2019 5:59 PM

Mar 2018
Edocchi said:
Imagine rating anime oBjEcTiVeLy.
Oh my, I feel personally attacked...

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 21, 2019 6:02 PM

Aug 2018
I do both however I keep these lists separate. One is entirely based on my feelings/enjoyment the other is exclusively my critical assessment. I believe attempting to meld the two approaches together is unwise because the relationship will always be arbitrary and the result meaningless.
Nov 21, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2019
I can't give an objective assessment. Different people have different tastes. Different people focus on different aspects of the show. I rate a show based on how much I enjoyed it, and how much I'd like to watch it again.
Nov 21, 2019 6:25 PM
Feb 2017
Subjective, of course. I'm not a reviewer, I just like watching shows so I'm rating it off of how well I think it is.
Nov 21, 2019 6:52 PM

Aug 2018
I only rate by how much I enjoy it since it's my personal list that's supposed to help me remember which ones I'd want to rewatch again haha. For example, technically I'd think Gintama wouldn't be a 10/10 for some parts which can be quite dry, numerous repeated jokes etc. But I still really really enjoyed it overall because of the characters and the main arcs were written well imo, enough to cover all the other shortcomings that I still consider it a 10/10 :')
Nov 21, 2019 7:17 PM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Personal enjoyment otherwise there's no point to ranking shows.
Nov 21, 2019 8:28 PM
Nov 2019
I think for me it's both, some anime I really enjoy based on the graphics and how its all put together, but then some are just like completely based off of my own emotions about it, whether it's is actually really well made or not.
Nov 21, 2019 9:06 PM

Sep 2018
I normally rate it objectively, since in the long run that affects my enjoyment more. However technical stuff can change my feelings about an anime, so I dunno man. If the Asian cartoon makes me smile it gets a good score.
Nov 21, 2019 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
A mix of both, although the lines between them are blurry and there are exceptions..
Nov 21, 2019 9:46 PM

Dec 2014
I also wonder the same, I have watched anime for so many years now that every new season with new anime was like 'meh, it is just another of XXX sort of plot".

So, I'd say I am subjective person after all these years.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Nov 22, 2019 1:25 AM
Jul 2018
I mostly rate animes subjectively.

I rate it based on my general enjoyment of that anime :)
Nov 22, 2019 11:21 AM

Oct 2017
It's all about the feels and enjoyment. If I enjoyed it, then it's definitely good.
Nov 22, 2019 7:50 PM

Dec 2012
Both. It's around 80% subjective and 20% objective.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Nov 25, 2019 10:57 PM

Aug 2018
my own feelings, if i rated it technically, like 80% of my 8/10 ratings would drop to a 6/10
Nov 25, 2019 11:04 PM

Jan 2018
Brush my tea
A jasmine tea
Hang it dry
Do it subjectively
Nov 25, 2019 11:05 PM
Jul 2018
I try to consider both sides as what I like is objectively good, wow.
Nov 25, 2019 11:11 PM
Dec 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
Neither. I personally feel like it's pointless rating anime.

I feel like rating should be required to mark something complete on your list.

Well in my opinion, I think people should be allowed to make the choice to either rate or not rate a show. It’s just anime, and I don’t think their choice to or to not rate it hurts anyone
Nov 25, 2019 11:13 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Both! If it's good plot-wise, even if I didn't enjoy it as much (because it isn't usually my preference or for some other reason), I still rate it highly. I apply this to manga as well.

But enjoyment definitely is a big factor, so even if the plot is good but I turned out not enjoying it as much, I tend to deduct 1-2 points off the final score.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Nov 26, 2019 4:18 AM
Jul 2018
probably just how much i like it because it's seriously a lot easier
Nov 26, 2019 4:53 AM

Sep 2017
I mostly rate shows on my enjoyment, but features like animation, characters or the OST affect my perception of an anime, so I guess it's a mix of subjective and objective
Nov 26, 2019 5:12 AM

Oct 2018
I rate animes based on the:
-characters
-plot
-animation

I think of myself as the MC and compare the decisions I made to what actually happened etc. The more believable/ relatable the MCs goals/ beliefs are the higher I will rate them.

Nov 26, 2019 6:02 AM

Jul 2016
In the past i used to give 10s to every show that i even remotely considered as a favourite which were few and far inbetween,since i am hard to please.This is why now i am trying to change that and to not do that even if i like something,in order to be more objective,while still being subjective at the same time.But i still rate something mostly on my own enjoyment,because i want to give an honest representation of what i like.
Nov 26, 2019 6:30 AM

Nov 2016
Mostly by my feeling from anime nothing more is important for me during putting * . And about 1/10 vs 10/10 there are 2 types of people: people who hate that anime (only because its popularity or not precisely following of LN/manga or like in last months because another anime has more stars than their favourite one) put 1/10, and 10/10 why people cant give it if they feeled its great for them (even if overall is bad but he/she has different opinion/taste)
Nov 26, 2019 6:34 AM
Jul 2019
I rate an anime by both feelings for both reason and emotion
Nov 26, 2019 7:10 AM
Dec 2017
Both, I don’t rate because I don’t know what score to give even if I enjoy an anime or not. Well ofc if I don’t enjoy, I doubt I will give it a high score, but I don’t think I will give a score of 1 because I think even if it’s bad or boring, there is something in it.
Nov 26, 2019 7:48 AM

Oct 2019
Both even though I'm not an expert so I can be objective only to an extent ...
I rated anime only if I finished to watch the whole series or at least the whole season.
Plot, message behind it and characters development count as factors for sure.
Usually if I didn't like it there's no way I could rated 10/10 that's for sure :P !
Nov 26, 2019 7:51 AM

Aug 2013
I give high rating to anime that really have outdone the competition in their own genre & my own personal taste.

I must admit, as I watch more anime, I might have discovered something that has outdone some other show I previously held in high regard. In that case the ratings might be changed. It depends again on how well it compares to the competition and personal taste. But in the end I'm not shy in handing out 10/10's to what really stands out in his own genre.

Finally there are some shows I really didn't like while it had a global high rating on MAL, I tend to rate it lower then I normally would. Adversily if I really liked a show that doesn't represent the global score on MAL, I might give it a point higher to raise its popularity. So I can't say I rate 100% objectively. Ultimately there are shows I didn't really give much about and I don't really care to rate it, but for the sake of rating everything, I usually just give the same score as the global rating. 1 Of the reasons why I review my given ratings from time to time. I might not have cared at that moment, but on a later point compared to something new that was better, I can give it a rating that fits in my MAL list.
When will Black Clover release new anime?! It has been 3 years already since March 2021...
Nov 26, 2019 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, I'm 100% subjective. Especially when I'm very biased at certain anime, I just rate all the franchise 10/10.
Nov 26, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
I would say Yes i do it all the time especially when i rate pretty high on certain anime.
Nov 26, 2019 1:33 PM

Apr 2014
A combination of both I think is the best way to judge an anime. Tying your emotional connection with analyzing the technicality of the anime should give some true value to the overall feeling.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Today

25 by EpicO4 »»
1 minute ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 40 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
9 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.