Forum Settings
Forums

Trump RAILS on the Fed - by Demanding Negative Interest Rates

New
Nov 12, 2019 12:32 PM

May 2019
Instead of highlighting warmer relations with Beijing, Trump criticized the Fed for what he sees as its hesitation to lower interest rates and blamed the central bank for capping gains in the U.S. economy and stock market.

The president noted that since his election, the S&P 500 is up more than 45%, the Dow Jones Industrial Average is up over 50% and the Nasdaq Composite is up 60%. But those numbers could be way higher, Trump said, if it weren’t for the reluctance of the Fed.

“And if we had a Federal Reserve that worked with us, you could have added another 25% to each of those numbers, I guarantee you that,” Trump said.

“But we all make mistakes, don’t we?” the president added. “Not too often. We do make them on occasion.”

It wasn’t immediately clear which “mistake” Trump was referencing: His choice to nominate Fed Chair Jerome Powell to lead the central bank or Powell’s preferred course of monetary policy.

Trump also contended that the Fed should continue to cut interest rates to make the U.S. more competitive in the global market.

“We are actively competing with nations who openly cut interest rates so that now many are actually getting paid when they pay off their loan, known as negative interest,” he said. “Who ever heard of such a thing?”

“Give me some of that,” he said. “Give me some of that money. I want some of that money.”

The president lambasted Powell throughout 2018 (and into 2019) as the Fed continued to tighten monetary policy and raise interest rates, which it typically does when it tries to curb inflation and ease the pace of expansion to prevent the economy from overheating.

Criticism of the Fed is unusual from a sitting president, with prior presidents taking a softer tone or refraining from weighing in on the direction of the central bank’s policies. In breaking with that tradition, Trump has blamed the Fed and its leader for swings in the stock market and undermining trade deliberations with Beijing.

“I think the Fed is making a mistake. They are so tight,” the president said in October 2018. “I think the Fed has gone crazy.”

The Fed instituted nine quarter-point hikes between Dec. 16, 2015, and Dec. 19, 2018, the last time it raised rates. It has cut rates three times in 2019 in what it characterized as a “midcycle adjustment.”

To be sure, the U.S. stock market has soared since Trump’s victory over Hillary Clinton in 2016, with the S&P 500 up more than 40%. The broad market index touched a new all-time high on Tuesday as investor concern over the U.S.-China trade war eased.

Though investors aren’t certain whether the two nations are close to a permanent deal, stocks have rallied to records in recent weeks in expectation of a sort-of trade truce.

Paying banks to take out loans from the government doesn't sound very smart to me. But hey, what do I know? I do know I would like a sweet deal like being paid to borrow money though.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/12/trump-rails-on-fed-says-market-and-economy-would-be-doing-even-better-without-powell-mistakes.html
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 12, 2019 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
ye pay people when they get loans how much bubble or bull market or whatever it is called that Trump needs lol
Nov 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Sep 2018
-Negative interest = people being charged to keep their money in banks.
-Everyone wants to withdraw their money and keep it under the mattress instead
-Banks don't have that money
-Banks go bankrupt.
-Lots of angry people lose their lifes money

Just when you think he can't get more stupid, he does.
Nov 13, 2019 1:43 AM

Mar 2008
I looked it up to see when negative interest is used and it's only used for deflationary periods. The US is in an inflation period.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/n/negative-interest-rate.asp
Nov 13, 2019 3:57 AM

Sep 2018
The one thing I was astounded by is that the Fed makes money for circulation but each dollar costs the government more than a dollar to make. Hence the debt can never be paid and it's a never ending money pit.
Nov 13, 2019 10:45 AM

May 2019
traed said:
I looked it up to see when negative interest is used and it's only used for deflationary periods. The US is in an inflation period.

Yeah. Cutting interest rates is only something you're supposed to do during a recession. Business cycle 101. However, Trump is using it to withhold a recession from happening just like Bush did but even worse. Which will just make things worse when it actually happens (and it will, since we've never fixed this problem over the entire period of capitalism's history) as it means we've lost another tool to stave things off. At this point the only option is to do some massive deficit spending, which is another thing Trump has been doing at a time you're not supposed to. When you're growing, you should be raising interest rates and raising a surplus. He won't raise a surplus as a part of the old Reagan Republican strategy: cut taxes (mostly for the rich) but don't cut social programs (because people would hate you for it). When a deficit is inevitably raised and a Democrat comes into office, complain about the deficit when you weren't before to try and force them to kill social programs as well as raise taxes. This makes Republicans the tax cut Santa Clause and Democrats the tax raising, social program cutting Scrooges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_Wanniski#The_Two_Santa_Claus_Theory
So basically Trump is doing all this to our economy as a political calculation of what will get him reelected instead of what's best for the country.
What would be more consistent with real conservative principles is actually raising interest rates because it deters banks from relying on government assistance and of course raising a surplus to pay off our debts.
Nov 13, 2019 11:05 AM

Mar 2011
He almost sounds like a mix between Harding and Coolidge..let history tell you the trajectory from there
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 13, 2019 4:35 PM

Mar 2008
Freshell said:
traed said:

Yeah. Cutting interest rates is only something you're supposed to do during a recession. Business cycle 101. However, Trump is using it to withhold a recession from happening just like Bush did but even worse. Which will just make things worse when it actually happens (and it will, since we've never fixed this problem over the entire period of capitalism's history) as it means we've lost another tool to stave things off. At this point the only option is to do some massive deficit spending, which is another thing Trump has been doing at a time you're not supposed to. When you're growing, you should be raising interest rates and raising a surplus. He won't raise a surplus as a part of the old Reagan Republican strategy: cut taxes (mostly for the rich) but don't cut social programs (because people would hate you for it). When a deficit is inevitably raised and a Democrat comes into office, complain about the deficit when you weren't before to try and force them to kill social programs as well as raise taxes. This makes Republicans the tax cut Santa Clause and Democrats the tax raising, social program cutting Scrooges.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_Wanniski#The_Two_Santa_Claus_Theory
So basically Trump is doing all this to our economy as a political calculation of what will get him reelected instead of what's best for the country.
What would be more consistent with real conservative principles is actually raising interest rates because it deters banks from relying on government assistance and of course raising a surplus to pay off our debts.

Yeah i could tell it's an attempt at delaying a bubble burst till after elections in 2020 so if he loses he can blame the democrats in office for the economy when it was realy his fault and if he wins he can blame the banks and claim they went against his wishes since we all know he's a terrible liar.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.