Forum Settings
Forums

List of Things that Anime Does Better than Live-Action Shows

New
Oct 13, 2019 2:33 PM
Jul 2016
When I say live-action shows, I mean any show with real people.

During the 90s, live-action shows were vastly superior than anime due to the limitations in technology to accurately represent real people.
As of today, technology has progresssed to a point where both mediums can rival each other in term of entertainment.

From my observations, here's a list of things that anime does better than live-action shows:

1. Expressions
Expressions play a very important role in inducing an emotion from the viewer.

Even for a skilled actor, it's very hard to have the right expression at the right time without multiple takes. In many cases, due to budget, the director will settle for a "good-enough" expression.

This is not the case in anime, expressions are always on point, down to perfection. And they happen at the perfect time in a scene. Some anime expressions that we've come to love simply cannot be replicated in real life.

2. Cinematography
Cinematography sets the tone for a scene, such as having the camera at the right angle around the couple during a sunset, or an aerial view of the city.

In anime, this is child's play. You can shoot a scene from any angle, limited only by your imagination. Changing the camera angle has little effect on the budget.

In live-action, however, some of the more exciting shots require expensive equipment such as cranes, drones, etc. which may exceed budget.

In the movie, "Kingsman", the famous church scene that was taken in one continous shot took months to make. Why? Because we, humans, make mistakes. Move the wrong way or say the wrong things.

Continuous shots are much easier and common in anime because animations don't make mistakes. Voice actors may make mistakes, but that's easily correctable without re-shooting the entire scene.

3. Blending of Special Effects (SFX)
It is very hard to blend SFX with real people and real objects, because real things have the best "graphics" on a screen.

If the SFX is not up to par in live-action, the two will seem terribly out of place.

On the flip-side, the entire world in an anime is SFX. So even if you add more SFX, it'll just blend in naturally with the rest.

If I missed any points, post them in the comments! Let's discuss!
JackOfHeartsOct 13, 2019 2:36 PM
Oct 13, 2019 3:06 PM

May 2016
Aside from what you said I would add "plot" as a thing anime series does better. When anime plot is well done, it surpasses by far Live-Action shows' plots as anime usually goes for a format that knows that "it will end someday", like in movies, so there are much less ass pulls, better climaxes and plot twists. However, when badly done I think anime may be worse as at least producers of Live-Action shows know how to make "neverending shows", which is not always the case in anime and when they go for longrunners, specially light-novel adaptations, it usually sucks in comparison.
Oct 13, 2019 3:08 PM

Nov 2015
Anime are better than live action in every aspects and thats fact.

Oct 13, 2019 3:14 PM

Jun 2019
That's a really nice blog weirdly posted on the forums.
Oct 13, 2019 5:22 PM

Oct 2015
One edge I can think of that anime has triumphant to live-action films/series is, of course, animation. It's its shtick, surely this may come out trite, but I doubt we will ever see something like a FLCL, Ping Pong Animation, Gake no Ponyo, Gunbuster, and of similar ilk to another medium, whose primary selling point isn't animation.

For the others, I cannot say, even the most bitter expression in Texhnolyze, I've found to be matched in characters like Travis Bickle. For stoicity, Ryunosuke Tsukue from The Sword of Doom can definitely go against Kenshiro and Jotaro. And boy, I love Bale's performance as Patrick Bateman, man, that was entertaining as fuck. Much enjoyable than most psychopaths I've seen in anime.

Cinematography in films are diverse, I had so much eerie and unease watching Love & Pop by Hideaki Anno, who of course, we know for Neon Genesis. But you can say the same for anime too. However, I agree it's much easier to control animation over live-action takes because they don't have to re-do the scenes over and over until the director is satisfied, well, of course that also depends for the director for both medium. We know Kubrick ain't fucking around.

But all in all, it really is a case-to-case basis really, every directors/studios and their crew has their own techniques, their own specialty. SFX can definitely be wonky with anime, you can't say everything is consistent. I'll also say cheaper production doesn't mean better, but it is efficient.
-Lofn-Oct 13, 2019 6:04 PM

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Oct 13, 2019 5:42 PM

Mar 2019
Anime is much cheaper to produce so you can have scenes that would normally be suited to an almost impossibly high budget TV show in a relatively cheap anime.

Take Kingdom for example. What live action TV show has the budget to produce massive Ancient Chinese battles every other episode for 39 episodes per season? It would be extremely difficult.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2019 4:40 AM

Jan 2019
the1ado said:
I agree. What makes no sense to me is when companies do live action remakes like the shit is new or something. We've already seen it, They just made it look real. Usually they don't go far and they cut aloooooooooot of content.
Oct 14, 2019 4:47 AM
Sep 2016
Blood & Gore.
Monsters and stuff.
Special attacks, beams, etc.
And also boobs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 14, 2019 7:47 AM

Nov 2015
Water-sama said:
the1ado said:
I agree. What makes no sense to me is when companies do live action remakes like the shit is new or something. We've already seen it, They just made it look real. Usually they don't go far and they cut aloooooooooot of content.

they even change the content like the death note live action massacre

Oct 14, 2019 8:13 AM

Nov 2015
Characters' Inner Monologues
- This is rarely done good in a live-action setting and mostly only works in an anime setting.
Oct 14, 2019 8:21 AM

Apr 2012
AniReview said:
Characters' Inner Monologues
- This is rarely done good in a live-action setting and mostly only works in an anime setting.

Scrubs?

edgy threat here. The first 2 points are very subjective opinion and pointless ... meaningless.

like the church. its easier to do stuff like that in anime/cartoons but that doesnt mean, they are doing it better... The Chiurch Scene in Kingsmann looks visually 10 times better. it would be a "random action" scene we are seeing 10 times in one One Punch Man episode, as an anime.

and expression. oh dude. Just take "The Joker" and the acting from Pheonix. Its hard for an anime to compete with this.
NiQue_Oct 14, 2019 8:32 AM
Oct 14, 2019 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Moe

Live action will never even touch anime when it comes to moe
Oct 14, 2019 10:11 AM

May 2009
Anime has better special effects and thus can basically create any scenery and any effects one desires, without regards to physics.

That's about it.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 14, 2019 10:13 AM

Apr 2012
Anime can do things. That would normally be very expensive, or nearly impossible in live action shows. For a lot less money and effort.
Oct 15, 2019 1:29 AM

Jan 2019
Anime have better looking girls

2D > 3D
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become irrelevant.
Oct 15, 2019 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
I am not sure. 80s-90s Ghibili anime and movies like Akira were the peak in character expressions.
Oct 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Apr 2019
Anime does Literally everything better

Oct 15, 2019 5:57 AM

Sep 2018
Anime does most things better but one major thing is kids, kids and films and TV are obnoxious brats, see the war of the worlds film which is just a girl screaming for 100 minutes.

So I have more empathy for anime kids than I do real ones because kids are bad actors.
Oct 15, 2019 6:19 AM

Jul 2016
Agreed with the special effects. I think animation just has an inherent advantage when it comes to portraying something fantastical, because in live action they basically have to take the footage of the actors and lay CGI on top of them, but in animation they exist in the same space, if that makes sense. Basically, what I'm saying is no MCU movie will ever look better than One Punch Man.

Bombast too, jumping off of that. Because they have more free reign with what goes onto the page/screen, they can make things look bigger and more powerful than most current movies are willing to do. I saw Captain Marvel recently, and while it is an okay film, the powers on display felt kind of underwhelming. Like, she's literally blowing up a spaceship from the inside, why am I not shaking with excitement?
Oct 15, 2019 8:38 AM
Sep 2019
Action, most def. Since it's not confined by CGI budgets seeing that animation, especially now is cheaper to produce (especially with the way anime does it), Anime gets better fight scenes overall. They can go god-tier, all-out chaos and it would still look beautiful. Live-action movies don't have that kind of freedom.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Oct 15, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2019
I think one of the biggest aspect that makes anime better is the internal monologue. It drives the plot and develops character. But it would never fly in a live action movie.
Oct 15, 2019 7:10 PM

Apr 2015
In terms of a broad stroke, these are some things that I think animated media does better than live action:

1. As cythraul stated, anime does moe or, more broadly speaking, cute things much better than live action. When I look back at the live-action movies, I had to go back to 2016 to identify something as notably cute. That thing is Newt (Eddie Redmayne) from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (I realize there's a sequel in 2018 but I haven't seen it). That guy is fairly cute, or more specifically a cinnamon roll. I'm not counting CGI characters (like baby Groot or Rocket) in this discussion.

In contrast, I often have the following thoughts multiple times in a single episode or movie: Cute!, Adorable!, Sugar Overload, etc. From this season's shows, that is particularly true for Ascendance of a Bookworm, Didn't I say to make my abilities average in the next life, and Bananya and the Curious Bunch. For some shows, like those produced by Doga Kobo or select KyoAni titles, that cute feeling lasts from the beginning to the end of the run through. The simplified designs/proportions and cutesy voices (i.e. Kana Hanazawa's roles) of characters are probably the biggest contributor to this.

2. Immersion. At least for me, I have a much easier time getting immersed in anime than live-action. The principal reason is how recognizable actors are. I sometimes have a habit of visually imposing the role I recognized the most, even if it wasn't the actors current role. For example, in Stranger Things Sean Astin plays Bob Newby. He is immortalized in my mind as Samwise Gamjee. Without meaning to, while watching Stranger Things, I sometimes see Samwise instead of Bob Newby and wonder what would Sam do. Now, this isn't just limited to Sean Astin. I would say it happens to almost every actor/actress for me.

Since I mostly watch Western Films, I see a lot of the same actors. While this is present in anime also (with regards to voice acting), the immersion break is to a much lesser degree since it is only one physical factor (sound of the voice actor vs. physical looks/sound of the actor in live action).
GraumannOct 15, 2019 7:23 PM
Oct 15, 2019 7:40 PM
Jul 2016
Graumann said:

2. Immersion. At least for me, I have a much easier time getting immersed in anime than live-action. The principal reason is how recognizable actors are. I sometimes have a habit of visually imposing the role I recognized the most, even if it wasn't the actors current role.

Yeah, how could you not see Daniel Craig as James Bond in any mnovie.

More topics from this board

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

38 by Punkero »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

28 by Punkero »»
4 minutes ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

11 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 52 minutes ago

8 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

50 by luckyrune »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.