Forum Settings
Forums

One dead and 10 wounded in an attack at a vocational college in Finland

New
Oct 6, 2019 2:44 AM

Nov 2017
BBC said:
A woman has been killed and 10 other people wounded in an attack at a vocational school in the Finnish city of Kuopio, police say.

A witness told Finnish media that a student entered Savo college carrying a sword and stabbed several people.

Police said the suspect was carrying a "sabre-like weapon" and a gun.

An unnamed witness was quoted as saying that he stabbed the woman in the neck and the stomach. The suspect was later arrested by armed police.

Those wounded were aged between 15 and 50 and most of them were women, the head of the hospital said. The age of the woman who died was not yet known.

Police said officers used a firearm when detaining the man after arriving at the school, which is in a shopping centre south of the centre of Kuopio. A small fire had been started by the attacker but it was quickly put out.

No motive for the attack has been given but police have since searched the home of the man, who is described as a native Finn born in 1994 who was a student at the college.

Another witness told local radio that officers had confronted the suspect, and two shots had been fired.

"One dead body has been found at the college premises of Kuopio Herman," police said. The wounded were taken to Kuopio university hospital.

The suspect was among those wounded in the attack. A police officer was also reportedly injured. Two people are said to be in a serious condition but neither has life-threatening injuries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49891450

Happened in my home town, I even have family who studies in the school in question. Condolences to the victims and their families.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 6, 2019 2:47 AM
Sep 2019
Wow.

Deaths in Finland not caused by suicide.
Oct 6, 2019 2:59 AM

Sep 2018
It sucks that it happened there but I was glad it didn't happen in another Finnish city where I have friends.

Hope you've checked that your family are ok.
Oct 7, 2019 1:58 AM

Mar 2008
Sounds like he maybe isn't too experienced with weapons or else I would think a few more would have died.
Oct 7, 2019 11:21 AM

Nov 2008
Kyotosomo said:
Wow a sword is definitely a new one, usually it's guns or trucks.

Less people know how to use guns in Finland, it's proof that banning guns won't solve much when it comes to school violence.

Oct 7, 2019 11:35 AM

Jun 2011
What surprises me most about the sword is that it says he had a gun as well, guess he was saving that for suicide/suicide by cops
Kyotosomo said:
eh I've heard of knife ones quite a few times (I'm assuming not US)
Oct 7, 2019 12:37 PM

Nov 2017
Killaclown said:
What surprises me most about the sword is that it says he had a gun as well, guess he was saving that for suicide/suicide by cops

The gun was apparently an air pistol, so not very lethal.

Hoppy said:
Less people know how to use guns in Finland, it's proof that banning guns won't solve much when it comes to school violence.

Finland actually has third most guns per capita in the world. Less than the United States, sure, but which place hasn't? Guns aren't really banned, they're just under licence and have been used in earlier attacks.

QPR said:
IHope you've checked that your family are ok.

Yeah, they're fine.
Oct 7, 2019 1:57 PM

Dec 2015
xoyic1 said:
Wow.

Deaths in Finland not caused by suicide.

thats definitely a shocker
TIME TO END PARTITION WITH A BANG. I AM ONCE AGAIN ASKING FOR YOUR FINACIAL SUPPROT https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/jewellery-1/
Oct 7, 2019 2:21 PM

Apr 2017
Hoppy said:
Kyotosomo said:

if the dude had a gun many more would have died.
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Oct 7, 2019 4:10 PM

Mar 2018
So out of 11 stabbed only one person died. Was the sword blunt or he just barely scratched them?

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Oct 7, 2019 4:53 PM

Nov 2008
Kyotosomo said:
koolkai123 said:

He DID have a gun, but he didn't bother to use it for some reason.

He probably didn't know how to use it.

Oct 7, 2019 6:54 PM

Feb 2010
Kyotosomo said:
koolkai123 said:

because a sword is so much cooler?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 7, 2019 8:22 PM

Apr 2014
Vilkku92 said:

Finland actually has third most guns per capita in the world.

can you link the source for this, i havent found anything that puts finland past top 8-10
Oct 7, 2019 10:33 PM

Dec 2016
well this is something new
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Oct 8, 2019 3:07 AM

Nov 2017
RedPlaty said:
Vilkku92 said:

Finland actually has third most guns per capita in the world.

can you link the source for this, i havent found anything that puts finland past top 8-10

I used this, but it's somewhat old and possibly outdated. In any case, there are a fair amount of guns in here.

Hoppy said:
Kyotosomo said:

He probably didn't know how to use it.

The gun was an air pistol, which are not very lethal. No idea why he had one with him, but it wouldn't have been very useful in actually killing anyone.
Oct 8, 2019 8:45 AM

Sep 2009
Ouch... Never thought of death by sword wound...
Oct 8, 2019 12:08 PM

Feb 2010
MiloD said:
how have you never thought of death by sword wound?
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 8, 2019 8:45 PM

Sep 2009
hazarddex said:
MiloD said:

Because maybe a peaceful death?
Oct 8, 2019 9:48 PM

Feb 2010
MiloD said:
hazarddex said:

with a sword?

unless its decapitation any sword stab is slow and painful.

Oct 9, 2019 2:00 AM

Sep 2009
hazarddex said:
MiloD said:

with a sword?

unless its decapitation any sword stab is slow and painful.

My bad... My first post mean she never thought she will die of sword wound...
Oct 9, 2019 2:10 AM
Mar 2011
iv been involved in both violence and survivor of terror attack this guy was just a rando if not then his planning was shit
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 9, 2019 3:50 AM

Mar 2008
Kyotosomo said:
koolkai123 said:

If what OP said was true about it being an air pistol I can see why. Too slow to prepare it to be fired. Must have had it to kill himself or suicide by cop. Though always possible there wasn't even a plan and everything was random and had no ammo to fire even .
Oct 10, 2019 12:35 PM

Dec 2013
traed said:
Kyotosomo said:

If what OP said was true about it being an air pistol I can see why. Too slow to prepare it to be fired. Must have had it to kill himself or suicide by cop. Though always possible there wasn't even a plan and everything was random and had no ammo to fire even .

I can confirm that Finnish news have reported the gun as an air pistol. I'm not sure if it even can be used to reliably kill oneself...

Oh, and suicide by cop is extremely unlikely in Finland... They tend to be very non-lethal over here.
Oct 10, 2019 8:03 PM

Mar 2008
NthDegree said:
traed said:

I can confirm that Finnish news have reported the gun as an air pistol. I'm not sure if it even can be used to reliably kill oneself...

Oh, and suicide by cop is extremely unlikely in Finland... They tend to be very non-lethal over here.

You can kill close range with an air pistol I think. Just depends how powerful it is and where it's aimed.

Ah I suppose so yeah. Forgot breifly that's just more a US thing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.