Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 16, 2019 3:01 PM

Feb 2018
Might be a bit of cheating but Id say Trilogy by weeknd and its not even close. Im pretty certain that it will stay my number 1 album for the rest of my life
Oct 16, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
I think I've changed my mind. Recently, I've listened to "Undun" by The Roots, and it's blown my mind away unlike anything else. You can see where it ranks in my favorite albums list by checking my profile. The concept, the hooks, the music, and especially the lyrics, are all so rich.

Undun is a concept rap album (that draws from Indie and neo soul) that details the tragic life (in reverse chronological order) of a fictional character named Redford Stevens, as he goes from a civilized poor guy, to dying as a drug dealer gangster. To a bit of my disappointment, the songs don't detail Redford's story in a conventional way like Nas would; whereas Nas's storytelling focuses on characters, physical details, dialogue, Undun's stories focus more on the mental state of mind of Redford in each song. For example, the song "I Remember" has Redford reminiscing on all the mistakes he's committed, by "Tip The Scale" focuses on him before he was a gangster.

Lyrically, this is probably one of the most richest rap albums I have ever listened to: there is at least a few deeply poetic lines in each song. One of my favorite lines is in "One Time" where Dice Raw spits:
"I wonder when you die do you hear harps and bagpipes
If you born on the other side of the crack pipe"
Basically, in a very fantasy, genius, and poetic way, Raw's saying, "If you're born in the ghetto, do you go to heaven when you die?"
Unfortunately, this could be a bit of a double edged sword for more casual rap fans: while the lyrics aren't exactly cryptic like a P.O.S song, they certainly require you to think more than the average rap song, and I had to look up a lot of the lines on Genius to fully understand them.
Oct 16, 2019 8:10 PM

Sep 2016
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I think I've changed my mind. Recently, I've listened to "Undun" by The Roots, and it's blown my mind away unlike anything else. You can see where it ranks in my favorite albums list by checking my profile. The concept, the hooks, the music, and especially the lyrics, are all so rich.

Undun is a concept rap album (that draws from Indie and neo soul) that details the tragic life (in reverse chronological order) of a fictional character named Redford Stevens, as he goes from a civilized poor guy, to dying as a drug dealer gangster. To a bit of my disappointment, the songs don't detail Redford's story in a conventional way like Nas would; whereas Nas's storytelling focuses on characters, physical details, dialogue, Undun's stories focus more on the mental state of mind of Redford in each song. For example, the song "I Remember" has Redford reminiscing on all the mistakes he's committed, by "Tip The Scale" focuses on him before he was a gangster.

Lyrically, this is probably one of the most richest rap albums I have ever listened to: there is at least a few deeply poetic lines in each song. One of my favorite lines is in "One Time" where Dice Raw spits:
Basically, in a very fantasy, genius, and poetic way, Raw's saying, "If you're born in the ghetto, do you go to heaven when you die?"
Unfortunately, this could be a bit of a double edged sword for more casual rap fans: while the lyrics aren't exactly cryptic like a P.O.S song, they certainly require you to think more than the average rap song, and I had to look up a lot of the lines on Genius to fully understand them.

Undun is one of the greatest concept albums of the last decade hands down, glad you enjoyed it. It's infinitely more interesting if you know about Black Thought's heart-wrenchingly sad youth in Philadelphia, it makes the music that much more potent and realistic. 'Make my' is my favorite single from the album.

The Roots has always been a staple in my listening rotation, Things Fall Apart and Do You Want More?!!!??! are my personal favorites as the complete disregard for samples is something really admirable.

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 16, 2019 8:22 PM
Jul 2018
Tinybox said:
AbsurdistOtaku said:

Undun is one of the greatest concept albums of the last decade hands down, glad you enjoyed it. It's infinitely more interesting if you know about Black Thought's heart-wrenchingly sad youth in Philadelphia, it makes the music that much more potent and realistic. 'Make my' is my favorite single from the album.

The Roots has always been a staple in my listening rotation, Things Fall Apart and Do You Want More?!!!??! are my personal favorites as the complete disregard for samples is something really admirable.

I first listened a bit of Do You Want More?!!!??! and assumed that The Roots were just another generic braggadocios/socially conscious rap group from the 80s. I'm just shocked that Undun isn't up there with one of the greatest albums of all time (at least as far as I've seen). I feel like, for a rap album to be considered to be one of the greats, it not only has to have a lot of critical acclaim, but also commercial success, which (the latter) Undun didn't have.
Are there any other albums you'd recommend?
Oct 16, 2019 8:41 PM

Sep 2016
AbsurdistOtaku said:
I first listened a bit of Do You Want More?!!!??! and assumed that The Roots were just another generic braggadocios/socially conscious rap group from the 80s. I'm just shocked that Undun isn't up there with one of the greatest albums of all time (at least as far as I've seen). I feel like, for a rap album to be considered to be one of the greats, it not only has to have a lot of critical acclaim, but also commercial success, which (the latter) Undun didn't have.
Are there any other albums you'd recommend?

I feel their braggadocio to be a step above the general fluff and seethrough fake confidence that most MCs display honestly. Black Thought has an aura of excellence. I mean, did you see the now legendary funk flex freestyle?

I agree with that sentiment to a certain point. Mass appeal is, of course, something rappers wish to appeal to, who doesn't need money? But even the existence of the term "rapper's rapper" shows that people that have an extreme interest and grasp on a concept operate on a different level. Hell, Black Thought's favorite MC is Redman, who many general rap listeners have never even heard of.

Undun was sadly overshadowed by more "commercial" albums, 2011 was a great year for hip-hop (financially at least). Albums like Watch the Throne, Take Care,Section.80, Tha Carter IV, Live.Love.ASAP and so many more albums were flying into the market. Admittedly with varying quality in comparison to Undun, but again, popularity does not always equal artistic merit. The people I know that enjoy hip-hop history as much as I do all hold Undun and The Roots in their top 10 of all time, so you aren't alone.

I'll just spitball as I don't know what you've listened to but some great stuff I usually recommend is;

Goodie Mob's Soul Food

Tha Pharcyde's Thank you 4 Your Service

Hieroglyphics' 3rd Eye Vision

ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜꜱᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴀꜱɪᴇꜱᴛ ᴡᴀy ᴛᴏ ᴋᴇᴇᴩ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴜʀᴛ
yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴏᴠᴇᴅ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
yᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ᴀʟʟ yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀɴᴅ yᴏᴜ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ʟᴇᴀʀɴᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴋᴇ yᴏᴜʀꜱᴇʟꜰ
Oct 17, 2019 4:43 PM
Jul 2018
Either Otogi by Eve or Chihou Toshi No Memento Mori by Amazarashi. Why? I have no idea other than they are just personal favorites.
Oct 19, 2019 3:34 AM

Jul 2017
in all honesty this is too tough of a question to answer lol. but im gonna take Drake's - Take Care album
Oct 20, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2016
I would probably listen to the album Shin'ya Waku from Tokyo Jihen. Sadly it looks like nobody know this band so I keep it for myself.

Oct 20, 2019 11:52 AM

Jan 2016
I guess Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar. It's the best album I have listened to so far, but this will definitely change since I have only listed to about 10 albums...
Oct 21, 2019 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
im sure no one ever in a million years would say this but hiram clarke hustler by viper

viper's music is significantly different from most hip hop out there today, hell most cloud rap even. his thicc, lethargic production style complimented by his unique approach to rapping honestly creates a comfy experience that defies all sense of time and logic (like chief keef's bftd 2!). i love most of vipers discography, but hiram clarke hustler is where viper truly perfects his craft.
Oct 22, 2019 10:42 AM

Aug 2009
Either In Becoming a Ghost by The Faceless, or Wolf by Tyler, The Creator.

One is a very close number two to the other.

Oct 29, 2019 11:50 AM

Aug 2018
I would love to select Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem. I literally love all the songs from this album and I'm totally addicted to it.
Oct 29, 2019 6:14 PM

Jul 2016
If I had to choose, it would be "Take This to Your Grave" or "From Under the Cork Tree". Both are by Fall Out Boy, my favorite alternative rock/pop punk band.
Oct 29, 2019 7:53 PM

May 2015
“Soundtracks for the Blind” by Swans. It’s one of my all time favorites, and it’s two and a half hours long to boot, so plenty of content to listen to.
Oct 31, 2019 3:11 PM

Oct 2019
Definitely Clube da Esquina.
Nov 1, 2019 6:41 AM

Jan 2019
Lateralus by tool, why?

well,

Nov 2, 2019 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
Doo Wops and Hooligans by Bruno Mars that can put in any mood and I haven't even been bored by it although regularly listen to it from 2012.
Nov 3, 2019 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
^Same situation as mine but with Torches by Foster The People.

I don't listen to full albums often but Torches is an exception. I can listen to all of the songs any time of the day.
Nov 5, 2019 7:25 PM
May 2018
I'm not too fond of put on repeat an album as much as i like it, I just don't get it, and having to pick just one is hard as hell, so maybe some long(at leat over 2 hours) live or compilation album of a band/artist that I like. I was thinking of Yessongs, A Live Record, You Can't do that On Stage Anymore (any of the 6 vol.), The best band You Never Heard In Your Life, Made In japan, to name a few. And in compilations blessed be the boxsets.
Nov 7, 2019 2:16 PM

Mar 2014
Dear Agony - Breaking Benjamin
Nov 8, 2019 8:15 AM

Apr 2013
Enigma - The Screen Behind the Mirror

Reason: It's soothing, inspiration, mysterious and I don't see myself ever getting tired of it unlike other albums.
Nov 8, 2019 11:27 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Well shit........
sorry Kalafina but I gotta stick to the classic!

Electra Heart by MARINA/Marina and the Diamonds

Used to listen (and still do!!!) to this almost religiously. Probably one of the only actual non-anime/non-video-game music I regularly listen to
Nov 8, 2019 12:33 PM

Oct 2010
Probably "Demon Days" by Gorillaz but closely comes "Am să mă întorc bărbat" by Vama Veche, a Romanian rock band, this album is Pink Floyd's the Wall look a like.

this is the last song from the album
Nov 9, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
I think though I prefer Pinkerton I would say the Blue album by Weezer. Which is lighter in tone but still has tons of iconic riffs/ melodies while still having songs featuring heavier topics (mainly Say it ain’t so). That album is flawless 90s pop rock.
Nov 9, 2019 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
Demon Days from Gorlliaz. I feel that all of the songs are unique and have variety - I wouldn't get bored.
Nov 9, 2019 8:42 PM

Oct 2008
White Album 2 Vocal Collection
Nov 10, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2018
I can't really pick an album but what I can is a single song.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 10, 2019 11:59 PM

Mar 2013
i would lisen thise for the rest of my life

Nov 11, 2019 1:38 AM

Feb 2017
Thriller by Michael Jackson
Violator by Depeche Mode
Waiting by the Devlins
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Nov 20, 2019 4:29 PM

Oct 2019
If I had to pick one it would probably be this:

Disillusion - Back To Times Of Splendor
Nov 20, 2019 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm... Brand New's Science Fiction
Nov 20, 2019 9:10 PM

Nov 2019
Dark Side of the Moon

I don't really listen to music much anymore but this is still my favorite album I've listened to. Although I could probably find more value in a classical recording but it would be hard to choose which.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
6 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
6 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
7 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
7 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.